Official Air Jordan I Retro BLACK/ROYAL Thread FEB 2013 - Show Some Maturity People

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont forget to add that he'll have the shoes and the dude not willing to pay wont. which means less ig, facebook, tumblr  pics and what-not and you know some cant have that
I just think it's none of anyone's business what someone is willing to pay for a shoe. I have two friends, both sneaker lovers. One dude makes $35k a year and another is making $130k a year. The guy who makes $35k a year tends to go through drastic measures to get his shoes, 1) staying up till early morning to try to buy online releases 2) lining up 3) waiting for restocks. 

The other guy maing $130k doesn't bother wasting time lining up or sitting by his computer during online releases/waiting for a restock. He just goes out and buys whatever shoe he wants if he feels the market value is worth it.

I'm not gonna judge either one of them. The guying making $35k brags about getting his shoes for retail, but we laugh cause time is money and the guy making $130k makes more money per hour than the money saved for the time spent by the guy who makes $35k spent trying to get his shoes for retail. 

Getting shoes for retail is always a good thing, and I congratulate any sneaker enthusiast who can get a shoe like this at retail in this kind of chaotic sneaker environment......but some dudes just dont have time to deal with it. 

This should be posted on every single thread. The amount of banter that goes on about, "what another man does with his money" is crazy.!! Every thread is riddled with this cancer.

Thank you for posting that and breaking it down.

Funny you now say this when you were going in on anyone paying over $200 a few weeks ago without waiting for any restocks or for spots to finally release their pairs. You were that guy that you're now opposing.

Actually, it was the Tuesday after RD that I said anyone paying over $250 should wait it out to see if more retail pairs became available, and regardless that prices will drop 4-6 weeks after RD like they do on any release, that those that decide a much higher resale price is worth paying in the first few weeks are the ones that end up getting burned. I still think these will settle in under the current prices. eBay auctions ending at $350, $380, $410... that's ridiculous for an Air Jordan 1 that just released. 2x retail would be $300 - which given the limited numbers seems likely to be where these stick - but imagine if you had an XI going for $450 after RD or an XIII going for $390. That's essentially what is happening with this shoe right now, and I still maintain that if you are paying those high prices today, you're doing yourself a disservice and not looking at this logically.

My point regarding a restock from FNL is that it's moot to the market overall. Obviously I don't know how much inventory they're sitting on, but I find it hard to believe based on comments FNL has made that they have hundreds more pairs to release. Getting caught up on a potential restock - that will likely be months out given that they've blown their marketing wad on the grand restock just a month ago - is a waste of energy and only provides ammo for resellers thinking they will continue to be able to capture $350-$450 value on these. Anyone who hasn't secured a pair should stop playing into the hype and just let it die down before making a trade or purchase on the secondary market.

Haha I asked nicely. Someone in this damn thread has to have a heart.
smile.gif
you did ask nicely- haha. It's definitely worth a try- I hope that someone hooks you up!

This should be posted on every single thread. The amount of banter that goes on about, "what another man does with his money" is crazy.!! Every thread is riddled with this cancer.

Thank you for posting that and breaking it down.

People can do whatever they want with their money, but the schmucks overpaying because they have a ton of disposable income artificially raise the resale value. So yes, we should be concerned when the community starts to find paying 2-3x retail right after a release acceptable. I could have afforded to pay $350 or more for a pair of these on eBay and I'm sure many others could too. There's an opportunity cost to overpaying for any given item, and there's also the principle of the matter. Higher prices on the secondary market is an invitation for hustlers to stake a claim in anything, or in the case of Jordans, not move on to other hustles. So yes, those that have higher disposable income and just toss however much money at a pair are doing the entire community a disservice. It's not for me to judge whether someone is "wasting" their money because that's all relative. What isn't relative is the measurable impact and interest on Jordan retros as a whole.

The path of least resistance is the most damaging in the long run, and that means ability to purchase the shoe on release day as well. Some people are just too ignorant to understand this.

You have learned :pimp:
Because ones used to cost $69. In 2001 you could get a pair of royals at footlocker for $20. Now we are expected to pay $350 for the same thing? Nah b.

And these have not been retroed 3 times. 2001 and 2013 only fam.

Banneds are reaching $500-$700. They were more limited than these at that. What makes them equal exactly?

1.space jams cost 120$.how much are they now?cool greys sat on shelves in many states(according to nt members,im from greece,wasnt there)how much are they now?

2.being retroed 2 times actually is an argument against you(but you had to school someone again i get it :tongue: :tongue:)

3.don't really know how many banneds produced.all i know is that in most sizes these are like 5-6 pairs per size left on ebay right now.but i can't compare the numbers produced banneds vs royals.what i can compare though is the number of thirsty sneakerheads-hypebeasts-in general sneaker buyers,which i believe is muuuuuuuuuuch bigger than those days 3-4 years ago,not even comparing to 10 years back.And as i always say the price has to do with one thing and one thing only:number of pairs-potential buyers ratio.and on the second part,there isnt even a comparison.

other than fully disagreeing with you here(lol) i got your back my man sir.you always bring the knowledge in here,and i always appreciate your contributions.much love fam. :smokin :smokin :smokin

I agree with you, but I would say that shareholder profit is first and foremost for any corporate entity.  I have noticed that even a shoe that isn't all that great will sell out instantly if a large # of people missed the last super hyped JB release.  I missed the initial drop of the Bred 11, so i was on to that Bred 13 as a consolation prize.  Well, I missed that one too, but was able to get the 11 from the FNL restock (thanks in no small part to your help, thanks again for that!) 
no problem, glad i could help...

no problem, glad i could help...
Repped for sharing info. Nt need more members like you.

Just another story to share, hoh in canada opened and they have a week long release specials going on. Yesterday was the royals and they had only 30 pairs with 50 ppl line up. Unfortunately my friend was not able to get me a pair. 

If there is a restock someone hook it up with a sz9-9.5 for retail+shipping! Thanks in advance it will be greatly appreciated.

Haha I asked nicely. Someone in this damn thread has to have a heart. :smile:

You did not ask nicely, you simply thanked them. Asking nicely is...

"If there is a restock (CAN) someone (PLEASE) hook it up with a sz9-9.5 for retail+shipping! Thanks in advance it will be greatly appreciated."

Here is why we get limited shoes...... Nike/JB numbers are about 1 million times this but, you get the point...

General Release

$10,000 per month (30 days) in utility bills for factory

$150 a pair for 1000 customers = $150,000

Now subtract that $10,000 for the factory running a full 30 days and your total is

$140,000 profit… every time a GR is dropped..

Limited Release followed by a GR

Now take limited numbers and a $15 price hike cause its limited

About $3,500 to run the factory for 10 days since we are making limited pairs

$165 a pair for 1000 customers = $165,000

Now subtract 3,500 to run the factory only 10 days

$161,000 profit and hype creates at least 1 new customer for every 2 they already have….…

This is what the limited hype did on the next GR…

$10, 000 per month (30 days) in utility bills for factory

Change price from $150 to $155 a pair because the of the hype of last weeks limited release everyone will want them and wont care about the $5 price hike…

Add 500 to our original 1000 customers that we gained from the limited hype…

Subtract the $10,000 for running the factory a full 30 days..

$222,500 total profit…

This limited scenario made $82,500 more than the original GR….

$161,000 from the limited + $222,500 from the GR following the limited  = $383,500

Two GR at $140,000 = $280,000

Which number would you want $383,500 and care less if everyone got a pair plus you worked 15 days less or $280,000 and everyone is happy…. Keep in mind, happy or not they will be in line in 2 weeks again…..

Last edited:
you did ask nicely- haha. It's definitely worth a try- I hope that someone hooks you up!

I hope so too! Just want a pair for a fair price and $100+over retail just isn't fair no matter what economics class tells us. Supply and demand... Just a bunch of people trying to make an easy $150 cuz their computer is faster than mine.

You have learned
pimp.gif

Because ones used to cost $69. In 2001 you could get a pair of royals at footlocker for $20. Now we are expected to pay $350 for the same thing? Nah b.

And these have not been retroed 3 times. 2001 and 2013 only fam.

Banneds are reaching $500-$700. They were more limited than these at that. What makes them equal exactly?
has to do with one thing and one thing only:number of pairs-potential buyers ratio.and on the second part,there isnt even a comparison.
other than fully disagreeing with you here(lol) i got your back my man sir.you always bring the knowledge in here,and i always appreciate your contributions.much love fam.
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
9, 000 banned produced. 160 per nike store.

Not going to argue with you fam, this thread doesn't need that. I was just explaining why people would be upset that 1s have gone up in price.

Them royals 
laugh.gif

Here is why we get limited shoes...... Nike/JB numbers are about 1 million times this but, you get the point...

General Release

$10,000 per month (30 days) in utility bills for factory
$150 a pair for 1000 customers = $150,000
Now subtract that $10,000 for the factory running a full 30 days and your total is
$140,000 profit… every time a GR is dropped..

Limited Release followed by a GR

Now take limited numbers and a $15 price hike cause its limited
About $3,500 to run the factory for 10 days since we are making limited pairs
$165 a pair for 1000 customers = $165,000
Now subtract 3,500 to run the factory only 10 days
$161,000 profit and hype creates at least 1 new customer for every 2 they already have….…

This is what the limited hype did on the next GR…

$10, 000 per month (30 days) in utility bills for factory
Change price from $150 to $155 a pair because the of the hype of last weeks limited release everyone will want them and wont care about the $5 price hike…
Add 500 to our original 1000 customers that we gained from the limited hype…
Subtract the $10,000 for running the factory a full 30 days..

$222,500 total profit…

This limited scenario made $82,500 more than the original GR….

my friend,not the same number of customers can get the gr and the limited release.you put 1000 customers for both.

I just can't get behind the hypothetical numbers being used, especially when there's a presumed doubling of customers interested in a GR release due to a limited release where the price has suddenly spiked. You have to look at it on a longer continuum, and I think we've already seen the market for Jordans hit a saturation point where there aren't a ton of new consumers entering the market in 2013 compared to 2012 or 2011. Raising prices $5 a year isn't correlated to those limited releases, it's correlated to a consumer that is locked in and loyal to the brand and will consume whatever they put out, limited or not. Limited releases have much less of an impact on the overall market when you've reached a saturation point, which I'd argue has already happened in this market. I could be wrong about the saturation point being met, but I feel the market has crested, or if it is just about to that point, limiting quantity on all of the 1's this year does little if anything to push demand for the brand as a whole.

9, 000 banned produced. 160 per nike store.

Not going to argue with you fam, this thread doesn't need that. I was just explaining why people would be upset that 1s have gone up in price.

Them royals 
laugh.gif

arguments as polite as i expressed mine cause i really appreciate you fam,always have place in a forum.thats what is all about.btw,do you have any info on the number of royals produced ?

yes but he accounted the same number of sales for a gr and a liimited.it should be like 10/1 not 1/1 ratio of sales
I get what you're saying.

I think his illustration was just to compare the overall cost/revenue of a particular production  run to put a monetary value on it, rather than be 100% accurate on total production cost/value etc. 

Last edited:
I get what he's saying. Don't overanalyze the numbers

You don't have to overanalyze the numbers to disagree with the general premise. If there's 1/X of pairs produced, how will that increase demand for a future release by 50%? That's a completely ludicrous assessment, and if there were a shred of truth to the premise, JB would be doing a limited release once a month to prop up every GR in between. Limited releases don't have that kind of power over buyers, especially when the market is already saturated.

my friend,not the same number of customers can get the gr and the limited release.you put 1000 customers for both.
Yeah, I understand what you are saying, but if you think "limited" really means limited, in about 8/10 relases thats not true, Im going off of mens shoes only, JB has fooled alot of us by using the limited tag.... I have noticed they can make a shoe and have the same number of mens sizes for a limited and a GR but since they dont come in kids or GS they put the limited tag on there quick.... (white/red 14's that were a limited QS most stores had the same number of mens sizes as any other GR).... But you can cut that 1000 in half and they would still come out with another $50,000 easy...

Last edited:
I'd also point out that when demand for your products skyrockets, the amount required to be in line with past "limited" releases must go up as well. Making a shoe as limited as past limited shoes (i.e. in 2006, 2008 or even 2010) in 2013 fails to account for the higher demand for Jordans as a whole. Let's assume this market has increased in buyers by 20% since 2010. If you keep your limited releases at those 2010 levels, while increasing the size of your average GR, you're not increasing overall demand thru exclusivity, you're missing out on potential sales, even in regards to a limited release.

You don't have to overanalyze the numbers to disagree with the general premise. If there's 1/X of pairs produced, how will that increase demand for a future release by 50%? That's a completely ludicrous assessment, and if there were a shred of truth to the premise, JB would be doing a limited release once a month to prop up every GR in between. Limited releases don't have that kind of power over buyers, especially when the market is already saturated.
We see limited releases often.. They serve a purpose for sure. Look at air yeezy 2 being sold for $245. If there were a billion pairs available then a billion would be sold. However that $245 price tag in June of 2012 helped make the $250 price tag of Jordan XX8's seem somewhat reasonable.

I don't know if I can explain the profits obut I understand the hype created by Nike is like an investment for future releases.

Reebok should've made Kamikazes extremely limited and let the resale prices go sky high. That way they could see future Shaq Attacks at $150 and make them GR people would be buying them up like crazy because kamikaze resale was $450 or something outrageous

We see limited releases often.. They serve a purpose for sure. Look at air yeezy 2 being sold for $245. If there were a billion pairs available then a billion would be sold. However that $245 price tag in June of 2012 helped make the $250 price tag of Jordan XX8's seem somewhat reasonable.

I don't know if I can explain the profits obut I understand the hype created by Nike is like an investment for future releases.

Reebok should've made Kamikazes extremely limited and let the resale prices go sky high. That way they could see future Shaq Attacks at $150 and make them GR people would be buying them up like crazy because kamikaze resale was $450 or something outrageous

if they made 1 billion yeezys they would sell 69.99 on outlet racks.HYPE EQUALS YEEZY in my mind...( dj proto is gonna come after me now ...''flame suit on'' :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom