Votes: 238 10.1%
  • UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
I’m not arguing with you, I literally asked the question of what is considered a replica lol

Do you consider what Shoe Surgeon does replicas if he only keeps the tooling in his customs?
Brother I don't like how you're being willfully ignorant, I know you know better. If I buy a shoe directly from Nike and send it to some guy to simply color it, that's a custom. Making a shoe from scratch to look like something from Nike is a replica. Also, can y'all confirm this guy is using the actual soles of real Jordans as y'all have mentioned?

this really what it comes down too. they let virgil pull jordan 2s out of the vault but theyre letting some guy in his basement beat them to market :lol:
Yep, I’ve said this before but Nike/JB don’t change unless they want to increase prices and/or sell you the same sh*t you already have. This is the exact reason they put so much effort into the 2015 “remastered” program. They don’t care how poor the quality of the retros are as long as they’re selling well. Once it starts to hurt their bottom line or they need to increase sales, then they will make an effort. This is potentially why we don’t really get 1:1 retros on popular models.

Anyways, I’ll never for the life of me understand why so many people on NT seemingly don’t get this.

Yep, I’ve said this before but Nike/JB don’t change unless they want to increase prices and/or sell you the same sh*t you already have. This is the exact reason they put so much effort into the 2015 “remastered” program. They don’t care how poor the quality of the retros are as long as they’re selling well. Once it starts to hurt their bottom line or they need to increase sales, then they will make an effort. This is potentially why we don’t really get 1:1 retros on popular models.

Anyways, I’ll never for the life of me understand why so many people on NT seemingly don’t get this.

i dont rock with everything they drop now a days but i love the "nothing is sacred" approach adidas has taken with yeezys.

Werd something else I think about a lot regarding bootlegs, fakes, customs, is the original designer. Peter Moore's design changed the world as we (we = people on niketalk) see it. I think people plagiarizing, ripping off, and selling his design as their own is wack. Although Nike/JB have the rights and patents and whatever to use the designs their employees and contractors made, I place a lot of value in the integrity of an artist and their work.

i can definitely see where you are coming from. sometimes its hard for me to separate nike the corporation and the sneaker environment they fostered from the artists and the art they create. theres merit to that though

Brother I don't like how you're being willfully ignorant, I know you know better. If I buy a shoe directly from Nike and send it to some guy to simply color it, that's a custom. Making a shoe from scratch to look like something from Nike is a replica. Also, can y'all confirm this guy is using the actual soles of real Jordans as y'all have mentioned?
I specifically mentioned changing materials, etc. So a simple tongue swap on an authentic pair of 1s would make it a replica if the tongue wasn’t an authentic tongue?

I specifically mentioned changing materials, etc. So a simple tongue swap on an authentic pair of 1s would make it a replica if the tongue wasn’t an authentic tongue?
Altering an a product that you bought directly from the source is a custom. Your mans is re-creating a product to look exactly like a product created by Nike, that's a rep. Even if he uses a "real sole" as y'all claim, it's just a rep with a real sole. It's not difficult to understand. Its y'all money, spend your $600 how you please.

Werd something else I think about a lot regarding bootlegs, fakes, customs, is the original designer. Peter Moore's design changed the world as we (we = people on niketalk) see it. I think people plagiarizing, ripping off, and selling his design as their own is wack. Although Nike/JB have the rights and patents and whatever to use the designs their employees and contractors made, I place a lot of value in the integrity of an artist and their work.
The issue I have is basically all the Jordan 1s they’ve retroed are a far cry away from Moore’s 1985 Air Jordan 1 because they don’t care to release a proper retro that looks like those $600 remakes. Where is the integrity towards Moore’s design on Nike/JB’s part there?

Again, they could take initiative and actually fix the 1s but they don’t care enough to-look at the 85s that released recently, they don’t even have the proper swoosh from Moore’s design.

I get that nobody is forcing us to buy their products but they clearly don’t care enough to actually replicate the pairs they themselves released in 1985.

Y'all old head sneakerheads wylin... It's not that deep. $600 for some reps when y'all in were clowning cats for allegedly buying reps from Zadeh for under retail... Make it make sense. I have no problem with y'all buying reps but just don't be posers. When someone asks you about your kicks make sure the first thing you tell them is that they're knockoffs.

Are you okay? Your takes this year have been shockingly bad; I’m honestly worried about you.

Thank you for posting this, I can’t believe no one ever mentions this when talking about fakes. All I hear are “people won’t be able to tell.” First of all, YOU will know (which is what matters the most), second of all you’re stealing someone’s art, and third of all yes some people will be able to tell. I spot fakes in the wild all the time, I just don’t care enough to comment on them.

The issue I have is basically all the Jordan 1s they’ve retroed are a far cry away from Moore’s 1985 Air Jordan 1 because they don’t care to release a proper retro that looks like those $600 remakes. Where is the integrity towards Moore’s design on Nike/JB’s part there?

Again, they could take initiative and actually fix the 1s but they don’t care enough to-look at the 85s that released recently, they don’t even have the proper swoosh from Moore’s design.

I get that nobody is forcing us to buy their products but they clearly don’t care enough to actually replicate the pairs they themselves released in 1985.
More semantics.. just like you old heads are passionate about the 85 shape, there's 2 generations of younger folks who never saw that shape and prefer to thr shape height they've grown accustomed to. You and the other guy's whole argument is based on the assumption that y'all think everyone is yearning for that 85 shape. Y'all keep mentioning nuances but seem to lack them in y'all's assumptions. Some people like the 85 shape, some people like when the 1s were the height of mids believe it or not, and some like the current mold of the 1s. Y'all older heads are in a very niche group when it comes to those 85s as the average consumer couldn't care less. So in a sense, I can understand why those $600 reps would be appeasing to those who want that 85 look but the assumptions y'all's opinions about those shoes are only y'all's opinions and doesn't represent sneakerheads as a whole.

More semantics.. just like you old heads are passionate about the 85 shape, there's 2 generations of younger folks who never saw that shape and prefer to thr shape height they've grown accustomed to. You and the other guy's whole argument is based on the assumption that y'all think everyone is yearning for that 85 shape. Y'all keep mentioning nuances but seem to lack them in y'all's assumptions. Some people like the 85 shape, some people like when the 1s were the height of mids believe it or not, and some like the current mold of the 1s. Y'all older heads are in a very niche group when it comes to those 85s as the average consumer couldn't care less. So in a sense, I can understand why those $600 reps would be appeasing to those who want that 85 look but the assumptions y'all's opinions about those shoes are only y'all's opinions and doesn't represent sneakerheads as a whole.
Dawg, why does this have to be either or? I’m not even suggesting that they stop selling mids, etc. just give us an option for a true retro of the OG model. Literally I don’t know why this is an issue, we just want the option to have a pair like this without spending thousands on an original 1985 pair. Literally

Hell, they could charge $650 for it and I’m sure myself and a bunch of us would all buy at least one pair lol

I’m not arguing with you, I literally asked the question of what is considered a replica lol

Do you consider what Shoe Surgeon does replicas if he only keeps the tooling in his customs?

Shoe Surgeon is customizing a shoe to make it something else, so a custom.
This $600 shoe is built to replicate an '85 black toe, so a replica.

When I made that Drake meme and made the comment to keep that same energy about bootlegs, it was directed at people who are against replica shoes because they aren't official Nike shoes manufactured and authenticated by Nike.
If that's their reason for being against bootlegs, then don't push the goal post and say, "Oh, these $600 replicas are OK though because the quality of these are way better." Even if the quality is better, the shoes aren't official Nike shoes manufactured by Nike, so keep that same energy.

Dawg, why does this have to be either or? I’m not even suggesting that they stop selling mids, etc. just give us an option for a true retro of the OG model. Literally I don’t know why this is an issue, we just want the option to have a pair like this without spending thousands on an original 1985 pair. Literally

Hell, they could charge $650 for it and I’m sure myself and a bunch of us would all buy at least one pair lol
Fair point. And it's not an issue, I've noticed niketalk perceives differing opinions as hostility a lot which isn't always the case. I digress, hope you boys enjoy your purchase if you do cop.

When I made that Drake meme and made the comment to keep that same energy about bootlegs, it was directed at people who are against replica shoes because they aren't official Nike shoes manufactured and authenticated by Nike.
If that's their reason for being against bootlegs, then don't push the goal post and say, "Oh, these $600 replicas are OK though because the quality of these are way better." Even if the quality is better, the shoes aren't official Nike shoes manufactured by Nike, so keep that same energy.
In general, I think a lot of people are missing the point though-we’re in a weird time where replicas have in some cases surpassed the quality of some current authentic products being released. Nike Panda Dunks immediately come to mind here. Even if you’re the biggest Nike/JB fan in the world and wouldn’t even glance at a fake/replica pair on someone else’s feet, this is objectively a problem.

This is something all of us on NT should agree with (and I say this knowing this might be the only thing we can all agree on lol).

Nobody is calling the $600 pair authentic though - I think everybody can acknowledge that.
But if somebody is against bootlegs because they aren't authentic and aren't made in an actual Nike factory, how can they be OK buying these? These should not be considered "customs" either, like what Shoe Surgeon makes, because these are meant to replicate an actual 85 Black Toe.

I’m against bootlegs because they’re all just Bape wannabes.

I don’t want a Jordan 1 with flames, stars, Statue of Liberty or whatever else instead of a swoosh.

I want my Jordan 1’s to look as close to the ‘85 pairs as possible. I don’t care who makes it. Whoever makes the best shoe that’s what I want to buy. Period.

They're reps, period. But the intent is very diff from others. It's when chinese factories copy shoes and sell them en mass at basically retail price or less, but people pass them off as real that creates a problem for us. When some random dude is making a high quality replica with the OG shape better than Nike, and charging 3x retail, I feel it's a diff spirit. Personally wouldn't buy them, but that's just me. And I don't think we needed some guy to make these to prove it could be done. Of course Nike can do it; they choose not to. They did so with the AM3, which is the closest to an OG Nike I've ever personally seen.

[Expect to be flamed on this, but...]. On a side note, I don't understand the passion people have for 1s. They look so much like so many other shoes of that era, whether Nike's own products (dunks) or converse, etc., that basically all had a similar shape. Not like the design was unique or special...? Like them or not, almost every other Jordan after the 1 was very unique from a design perspective. Even when midsoles/outsoles were used from other Nikes, the overall designs were so unique to the brand and the world. 1s....well....not so much....well, not at all ;-).

OGs know 1s weren’t popular until relatively recently. They sat in outlets.

3-6, 11-13 were always the most popular.

I think 1s have aged better than most other models, and they lend themselves well to collabs. They’ve become one of my favorite models. I still think the 11 is the GOAT, while the 4 might be my current favorite.

Just watched this video, and I’m shocked that no one has mentioned it here. He reviewed those Viberemakelab “Jordan 1s” that so many have talked about. I personally don’t judge, and to each their own, but a fake is still a fake in my book. Now in this case I guess you could end up with a fake that is constructed, looks, and is made up of better materials than a legit/authentic pair, and closer to the original ‘85 releases. They’re not for me, and I couldn’t do it, but again, to each their own.

The reimagineds are fake compared to these. Idc if nike made them.

And I don't think we needed some guy to make these to prove it could be done. Of course Nike can do it; they choose not to. They did so with the AM3, which is the closest to an OG Nike I've ever personally seen.
Do people not think this is a huge problem though, especially when they are hawking “85” Jordan 1s for a higher price that STILL don’t come close to what that guy is doing? I feel like Nike/JB has convinced all of us accepting inferior products is acceptable as long as it’s “close enough.”

I’m not even trying to stunt here, as someone who buys retros, I’m guilty of this as well but I think it’s a lowkey problem that they only address when they want to increase prices dramatically.

Back
Top Bottom