Official 49ers Offseason Thread: Time to re-evaluate the draft...

Adam Schefter of NFL-N reports Darrel Jackson has been cut.

so I suppose we're starting Bruce and Johnson then

damn, djax fell off hard. Couple years ago, he was a #1...now..ehh
tired.gif

Originally Posted by boywiththeshoes

We dropped DJax today.
Saved us $8 mil over the next two years (3 mil this year alone).
pimp.gif
This most def means we're probably taking a WR in the first 2 rounds (I expect WR/OL).

this means we may be in the running for the better DJax
pimp.gif

homerism aside, who else would be a good WR to pick? Certainly not James Hardy
laugh.gif

Wow, 49er's making good moves. DJax blew whale penis. Yall seem solid at WR, maybe add one more from the draft and yall got a good unit going.

But who's going to throw them the ball. JT O'Sullivan?

For WRs I think we reach in the draft and go for Devin Thomas (Michigan) if DeSean Jackson (Cal) is not available.

For OL Chris Williams (Vandy)

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

damn, djax fell off hard. Couple years ago, he was a #1...now..ehh
tired.gif

ostensibly, the result of poor work ethic.

Here is what ESPN has to say about Johnson:

Johnson is a six-year veteran who is a part time starter, but is Arizonas No. 3 receiver. He gets a lot of playing time because the Cardinals use a lot of three receiver sets. He has been a 40-plus catch receiver for the past four seasons and provides a good supplement to Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald. He has excellent size along with above-average, straight-line speed. He is more productive in the short to intermediate routes because he lacks the top acceleration and downfield speed to be a big time deep threat. He has the size and receiving radius to be a red zone threat, but he experiences lapses of concentration and drops more balls than youd like. He is not a real precise route runner, although he has improved in that department. He still likes to round his routes off too much and does not do a great job of separating from defenders. For his size and bulk he could be a better downfield blocker. There are times when he shows signs of being a little timid when running crossing patterns and heading into traffic. He has never really lived up to his first-round draft status, but he does make a good threat as a No. 3 receiver.

the 49ers are taking a long look at Takeo Spikes, who used to be a great LB and now is not, but can still probably play a little.
http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/kawa...t-johnson-look-at-takeo-spikes-release-dilfy/

1 or 2 year contract ~2 mil a year for this guy is a good cheap signing if it can happen. think about that linebacking core--
Willis
Spikes//B-Moore/TBC/Donatharrious
Lawson

personally, if we DO end up with Spikes, i'd like to see him and Moore man the inside with Willis and Lawson wreaking havoc on the outside.

Is Ulbrich gonna be cut soon?

I dont know if anyone has talked about Justin Smith or not, but I have watched him for the last 7 or 8 years in cincy, and maybe two of those years he wasimpressive. He is one of the hardest working players i've ever seen and he goes all out on every play but he just doesnt produce... last year he had 2sacks (in a contract year) and the majority of his tackles came downfield chasing the running back.. maybe he will be a better fit in a 3-4 i dunno, Do youniner fans think he was worth 6 years and 45 mil?

not worth that contract at all, but in a weak free agent class he certainly used that leverage to his advantage.

but since our DL has not been generating pressure, i see this as a quick fix-- hopefully not one to haunt them in the years to come.

Q? no way the cardinals let him slip by. and with that signing, it'd push johnson back to 3rd
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by NothingToL0se

i would LOVE to have Boldin on the niners. Dude's a beast, but it seems like a pipe dream
frown.gif

Exactly how I feel... I just really hope we get a solid OL, to see if its really Alex or just the OL is garbage...

this means we may be in the running for the better DJax
pimp.gif

If the Niners draft DeSean I will streak the UCSD campus
Not the exact quote, but not forgotten
laugh.gif

I can't see them passing on DeSean if he's still there...I just don't think he will be...but as James Hardy's stock rises, the Niners chancesof getting DJ improves.

I don't think he'll be there when we pick him, I think the only way is if the 9ers REALLY want him and trade up....but I can definitely see himslipping a bit because of his lack of size.

-- 49ers Could Sign Takeo Spikes If... --

Sat Mar 22, 2008 --from FFMastermind.com
The San Francisco Chronicle reports the 49ers are unconcerned about free-agent LB Takeo Spikes's ability to recover from shoulder surgery and the 49ers believe he'd be ready by training camp. When Spikes did visit, the parameters of a deal were discussed and Spikes believes he might get a richer contract elsewhere. Two teams have shown interest and one of them is New England. If no team steps up with a better offer, Spikes would likely sign with San Francisco and be the team's "ted" linebacker next season.

And I'm also glad to hear about Bruce NOT wearing The G.O.A.T.'s #.
happy.gif

-- Isaac Bruce Won't Wear #80 for 49ers --
Wed Mar 12, 2008 --from FFMastermind.com
The Press Democrat reports new 49ers WR Isaac Bruce, who wore No. 80 the first 14 seasons of his NFL career with the Rams, will not don the number that is synonymous with WR Jerry Rice. The 49ers and Bruce agreed that Rice's number should not be used, 49ers spokesman Aaron Salkin said today. Bruce has not been issued a number yet. Bruce signed a two-year contract with the 49ers last week.

We need a playmaker. Bruce and Bryant aren't going to cut it. Battle will have a better year then them both. I would say go after Boldin allyou can, but I doubt they would let Boldin goto a division rival. Ocho Cinco ain't a option cuz he wants a ring.

Back
Top Bottom