OFFICIAL 2022-2023 COLLEGE FOOTBALL THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw someone else near the program tweet he had some sort of cardiac event and his brain went a prolonged time without oxygen.

Not good.
“As far as Coach's condition goes, I am told he is stable. That is not to say he's doing well. He's not. The family will have to make some difficult decisions in the days ahead and that could actually come to a head on Monday. I simply don't know their feelings. My heart breaks for all involved.”

“So on the MSU boards', a message from a poster/ mod below...

The Coach has fam mostly out west (Cali and Utah), and siblings and fam flying south to Jackson. The outlook is obviously very, very bleak.

".... The State mods confirm he’s alive and that family has been called in and last 2 siblings will arrive on Monday.
The State mod said they will have to 'make some decisions' in the coming days..."

Yikes, at Coach Leach. I know he has made some very controversial statements and decisions in the past but his quirky almost IDGAF attitude in the really 'hemmed' up and 'proper' world of college football coaching was, at times a breath of fresh air.

*Edit* Deeper look, that account is kinda cluttered with nonsense. Will wait for the family announcement on where things are.

Just very sad. Life is so fragile. Live each day to the fullest and love each other.

It's a game of musical chairs and hopefully you have a seat when the music stops. I would imagine that a high percentage of these P5 players who end up dropping down are told to look elsewhere by their current team.

For the rest of these guys, I would imagine it's similar to the NFL draft where they are getting bad advice or teams or promising to offer them scholarships and then back out. Working hard to get a P5 scholarship and then dropping down or being completely out of football would be a tough pill to swallow.

It's a game of musical chairs and hopefully you have a seat when the music stops. I would imagine that a high percentage of these P5 players who end up dropping down are told to look elsewhere by their current team.

For the rest of these guys, I would imagine it's similar to the NFL draft where they are getting bad advice or teams or promising to offer them scholarships and then back out. Working hard to get a P5 scholarship and then dropping down or being completely out of football would be a tough pill to swallow.
So under current rules, teams can't process players out anymore, but they're still required to honor their scholarships for 3 years.

Riley was brutally honest about it when he took over SC and said he basically used the new coach exception to tell a lot of the kids who entered the portal that they either would be losing their starting spot, would not have a secure place in the rotation but could earn one, or were completely off the team but could remain at the school. This freed up their scholarship counter to use for other kids, but under the new rules even if a player's medically retired or no longer participating in football you have to honor the value of their scholly.

I think that's what's giving a lot of school's pause. If a kid doesn't pan out you're on the hook for them for up to 3 years. You can't just take a flyer on them and process them out anymore like they used to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom