OFFICIAL 2021 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
12 teams is absolute garbage

Agreed.

In any given year you barely have 4 teams who are legitimately championship quality, let alone 12. I just don't see how you expand to 12 w/o changing scholarship allotments or the amount of games that are scheduled during the season.

12 game regular season + Conf Championship game + potentially 4 playoff games. A 17 game collegiate season would be ridiculous

Last edited:
Agreed.

In any given year you barely have 4 teams who are legitimately championship quality, let alone 12. I just don't see who you expand to 12 w/o changing scholarship allotments or the amount of games that are scheduled during the season.

12 game regular season + Conf Championship game + potentially 4 playoff games. A 17 game collegiate season would be ridiculous

Exactly so now there’s gonna be 3 loss teams competing for a title? Yikes. I’d be okay with 8 (which I think is too much already but everyone cries about teams left out), but 12 is atrocious.

They’re also going to have to make, at the very least, the first round games home games. They can’t expect fans to be able to travel to multiple bowl games like that

Devil's advocate... Why, though?

Every other level of football plays nearly that many games.

Texas HS Champs played 15 games this year in a COVID year with no out-of-district games.
Cuz in HS youre not getting your brains beat in like you are at high level P5 in theory. Even if you argue the top teams aren't phased by this as far as depth goes, it becomes an amateurism issue. You're adding an extra month to the schedule, Spring camps start going to the end of May/school year, then kids are back for summer/fall camp a month or two after that. Can't claim amateurism when kids are training and working 10 months out of the year. But maybe with NIL they don't care about that facade anymore.

Did y’all see the fuss NFL players threw about adding games?

But yeah let’s add 2 onto college players who aren’t making a dime

Cuz in HS youre not getting your brains beat in like you are at high level P5 in theory. Even if you argue the top teams aren't phased by this as far as depth goes, it becomes an amateurism issue. You're adding an extra month to the schedule, Spring camps start going to the end of May/school year, then kids are back for summer/fall camp a month or two after that. Can't claim amateurism when kids are training and working 10 months out of the year. But maybe with NIL they don't care about that facade anymore.
Amateurism is dying a slow, painful death.

Why 12 teams? More games for TV partners, more $$$, and the New Year's Six bowls get the games and all of a sudden become more important (and with less player opt-outs)

Why a 12-team CFP field has more juice than 8 schools
Yahoo Sports

How has a 12-team model become the presumptive favorite? Well, its potential emergence winds through the complex layers and varied agendas that cover a world that spans from Alabama to Troy and Ohio State to UTEP.

Let’s start with at-large bids. In the current four-team College Football Playoff model, all four teams are at-large. In a majority of the eight-team models that have been projected, there’d likely be either five or six automatic bids. That means a decrease in at-large bids, which would not be of much interest to the SEC — or even Notre Dame — which could perceive the expanded playoff as having less access. (The Pac-12 and entire Group of Five, to counter, would likely not be interested in expansion without some type of automatic bids).

Another snag that makes some uncomfortable with eight teams is who'd get left out. If there are six automatic bids, for example, a team ranked No. 4 or No. 5 could theoretically be left out and a team ranked No. 18, for example, makes the field. That scenario makes some uncomfortable

The issues are complex, but essentially, there are enough stakeholders who’d prefer to stay at four because of the advantages it gives them over growing to eight. Therefore, the likelihood of a 12-team version — there will even be some chatter about a 10-team tournament as a compromise — has bubbled up.

A 12-team version would answer a lot of the immediate looming issues with the College Football Playoff — lack of diversity of programs, access for Group of Five and the erosion of the importance of supposed top-tier bowl games outside the CFP thanks to player opt-outs.

How would 12 teams work? The basic thought is automatic bids for the five major conferences — which also juices up their league title games as play-in games — and one for the highest ranked Group of Five champion. The other six spots would be at-large bids. That gives automatic bids to some of the have-nots and more potential spots for the more powerful leagues, and compromise is important in a vote where consensus is needed.

The details of how those 11 games in a 12-team system would unfold will still need to be worked out in upcoming months. But the thought is that the first four teams would get a bye and teams No. 5 to No. 8 would host teams No. 9 through 12 at home sites. (This could, of course, irk teams that finished higher and don’t get the big gate, memorable experience and home-field advantage of a playoff game.)

Then the bowl system could potentially fill in from there, with the expectation being that many of the high-end bowls in the system now would remain. A few sources brought up former Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany’s consulting role with the Rose Bowl — half jokingly — as a potential road block to playoff expansion.

My goodness Bryce really is a tiny dude

A0D71BFF-1FDB-4B63-9C99-6F4CC38E8CF7.jpeg

Bryce Young is Kyler Murray miniature sized?
Bama has him listed as 6’0 195.

More like 5’9”-5’10”, 180.

Theres spring footage of him struggling to see over his OL. I think he hit one of them in the back of the head during the spring game?

Bama has him listed as 6’0 195.

More like 5’9”-5’10”, 180.

Theres spring footage of him struggling to see over his OL. I think he hit one of them in the back of the head during the spring game?
NO SHOT at 6' flat... :lol: Not even with his cleats on.

I figured 6 would have a good number for the Playoffs. P5 conference champions and an at large 🤷🏻‍♂️

Who are the two players he’s standing between?

You can never tell how big someone is compared to the average person with them next to the 40 year old Bama muscle heads :lol:

FACTS. When I would go to tryouts there would always be a million WRs. Everybody wanna catch the ball. I also use to tell my kids that when I was coaching. Want to get noticed on film. Go 100% on special teams, back side of plays and PLAY FREAKING corner.

12 teams would be crazy. For all the reasons everyone else in here has mentioned but also if you are trying to get to the league imagine the extra beating your body will take with that increased workload.

Yo, real talk them Samoan / Polynesians boys built different now. I want to say I saw a stat that Samoans are 40% times more likely to make the NFL.

WWJ Afternoons (@AfternoonsWWJ) Tweeted:
🚨 #BREAKING: According to his lawyer, Matt Schembechler, son of Bo Schembechler, is planning to come forward with evidence tomorrow that his father ignored abuse by former team Dr. Robert Anderson.

LISTEN LIVE: https://t.co/wOhDZbSSfm https://t.co/1YrEpSCdnC

Bo’s statue going to get removed,name on the building will be changed and victims will be paid. That’s how I’m seeing this situation ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom