OFFICIAL 2020 NBA PLAYOFF THREAD - DISNEY COVID INVITATIONAL EDITION - MAMBA FOREVER - LAKERS WIN THE RONA RAND - ALA FOREVER

Who will win the inaugural COVID Invitational Jamboree?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you guys feel like is a fair plan of action?

I think something along the lines with Owners matching/close to.. any donations NBPA makes to like Voters rights campaigns, Police Reform initiatives, etc.

So part of the framework for the bubble was the players being able to use it as a platform for speaking on social injustice and police brutality. They got that and were doing that.

Now they want to shut it down, in protest, of social injustice. I'm confused because now if you effectively just shut down the bubble and scrap the season, what was the point? If civil rights activism was the #1 priority for players, which the players are now making clear with this that that is the case, then why waste your time playing a season at all? Should they not have just voted against a bubble and collectively worked on these issues instead? Also, where do they then go from here? Is everyone gonna go home and chill on the couch and tweet or are they leaving to go take real action that the bubble was keeping them from doing? And is this even the most effective strategy? Would they not be able to have a bigger impact and a bigger voice using the platform of basketball? Plus, you can't ignore the positive impact of having basketball back on tv. People were so ready to have basketball back, myself included, because it was something we could all finally look forward to, talk about, and enjoy which was needed after months of lockdowns, COVID, the government being morons, and social injustices. There's a negative component to stopping play for people beyond owners and executives.

I'm also curious as to why this was the breaking point that is causing this. Should George Floyd have not been the incident that got them to say "We can't hoop right now. There's bigger issues going on."? I mean, I get that they used George Floyd as a catalyst for the activism in the bubble but still.

Sitting todays games out was most definitely impactful and I like the move. I'm just questioning the cancelling of the whole season when part of the reason they wanted to bring it back was to use it as a platform for these issues.

So you think Raps and Bucks encouraged everyone to end the season but voted to keep playing?

Nowhere in that tweet did it say the encouraged everyone to end the season. It simply said they were "the strongest voices" because of their proximity to injustice by police.

SImilarly, no reports have indicated if the vote by teams was formal or next steps so I don't think we can say the Lakers/Clips are officially out or the season is over. As someone said, it could very well be a strategic move (and it would be a good one) but it's still 50/50 IMO.

The players seem to know what they’re doing and are really thinking this through. If it was reported that OKC and Miami were the teams that opted out, who would care? Putting the two LA teams out front was discussed and agreed upon and smart.

This is irresponsible.

giphy.gif

what do you guys feel like is a fair plan of action?

I think something along the lines with Owners matching/close to.. any donations NBPA makes to like Voters rights campaigns, Police Reform initiatives, etc.

Probably something like get every NBA arena available to use for voting

The players seem to know what they’re doing and are really thinking this through. If it was reported that OKC and Miami were the teams that opted out, who would care? Putting the two LA teams out front was discussed and agreed upon and smart.
Probably the biggest leverage play they could use too

"Lebron james has opted to cancel the season and has exited the meeting" sends shockwaves

wouldn't be the same if it was any other player or team

Nowhere in that tweet did it say the encouraged everyone to end the season. It simply said they were "the strongest voices" because of their proximity to injustice by police.

SImilarly, no reports have indicated if the vote by teams was formal or next steps so I don't think we can say the Lakers/Clips are officially out or the season is over. As someone said, it could very well be a strategic move (and it would be a good one) but it's still 50/50 IMO.
Mannix tweet was deleted so I guess that answers the question

We are going through some unprecedented times now, but I’m absolutely glad that these players absolutely have the power now to start taking a stand and doing so unlike before. Just have to hope that it may lead to some (major societal changes) but that may be wishful thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom