**OFFICIAL 2019 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD**

Which team will win the 2018-2019 NBA Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
its the under the basket mics, most arenas have them, good for hearing players talk

thats why you always heard Melo curse for rebounds

this must have been before he started boxing out for Russ to get them as a member of the Thunder.

63BB275B-4871-440A-9847-D7A0E3A8EEF3.jpeg

Wife
Son

Waiting for d-wade newborn baby to defend her father.

It is pretty cool that his family has come to his defense. Strong, defiant. Unity is that thing. Let’s see who comes to the defense of Pierce. KG perhaps?

I get that no one likes Paul Pierce on here, but some of these posts from last night/today are OD. He wasn't better than Wade, but he was a damn good player for many years and is a hell of a lot closer to Wade than Kevin Martin, a one-dimensional guy who was a liability on defense his whole career and had no playmaking ability.

Pierce was an excellent shooter out of the gate and a powerful penetrator when younger, tallying seven of the top-100 free throw rates among wings on record. (He averaged at least 9 free throw attempts per game in ’01, ’03 and ’06.) He loved the mid-post and featured a pull-up and deadly step-back. He also worked well off-ball as a shooter, and although he never really had a low-post game, was strong enough to collect easy hoops by sealing unsuspecting defenders near the rim. He was more of a scorer in those early years, but by the middle of the 2000s, Doc Rivers developed his ability to initiate the offense and Pierce worked out of more pick-and-roll action as a creator. His passing was mediocre early on, although he improved during the heart of his prime, growing to read defenses fairly well despite lacking eagle vision.

He was a strong man defender at times, using his size and length to bother shots. Pierce was also an excellent defensive rebounder, peaking in the 98th percentile among wings in relative defensive rebounding. He made smart rotations off the ball and could anticipate well, but was somewhat soft when challenging bigger players in the lane. He was also vulnerable to quicker cutters and dribblers, and his defense waned a bit in the middle of the decade before being re-energized during the Kevin Garnett years.

Pierce entered his prime in 2001 on an upstart Celtics team whose biggest name was Antoine Walker, a good passer whose love affair with inaccurate 3-pointers rendered him woefully inefficient. (He never authored a positive efficiency season in his career.) Still, Boston managed a 34-win pace that year. In 2002, the Celtics mortgaged the future with a midseason trade, playing at a 55-win clip in 42 games after the swap (4.7 SRS), the pinnacle of the pre Big Three Celtics. Jim O’Brien was a defensive-minded coach who deployed lineups lacking offensive firepower, and Boston’s relative offensive efficiency was only +0.5 (rORtg).

From 2003-06, the Celtics played between a 35 and 42-win pace, shedding Walker in ’04 and bringing in volatile pieces like Ricky Davis (third-worst WOWYR score on record) and Vin Baker (off-court demons). Doc Rivers assumed coaching duties in ’05 and turned Pierce into more of a creator — a development that led to, arguably, his best season in ’06. In ’07, the full-strength Celtics were just below .500 with Pierce (-1.2 SRS) before an injury shut down his season. Then, in ’08, he fit well alongside two other stars, dropping his scoring slightly as his efficiency improved, a testament to his strong finishing and spot-up shooting. His last “prime” year was probably 2011, but his YMCA game still worked for another year or two despite a loss of athleticism.

His impact metrics were excellent – his best scaled adjusted plus-minus seasons (APM) fell in the 98th percentile historically, and he’s a top-10 all-time performer in game-level plus-minus studies. APM also gives him a number of excellent defensive years, with his best four-year stretch finishing 27th among wings (since 1997). Overall, he’s a relatively low peak player whose game fit well with others and whose prime lasted for a while, racking up eight all-league years and 11 All-Star seasons per my valuations.

E819C876-D126-40F3-B7F5-D8DC6C4732C7.png

Kevin Martin never did anything close to this in his life.

Last edited:
I get that no one likes Paul Pierce on here, but some of these posts from last night/today are OD. He wasn't better than Wade, but he was a damn good player for many years and is a hell of a lot closer to Wade than Kevin Martin, a one-dimensional guy who was a liability on defense his whole career and had no playmaking ability.

I hate Pierce. I take his commentary as jokes. Even though I hate him, I’ll always give him props as a basketball player because as a Laker fan I know he was a killer. He was unbelievably tough in 08 and 10.

I'm surprised Truth don't get more love on here cuz he did beat the Lakers and these mf'er in here HATE the Lakers so much. :lol:

Paul was probably a better player than Dirk. Dirk was more efficient but Paul was way better on defense and Dirk blew a lot of opportunities with better teams.

I'm surprised Truth don't get more love on here cuz he did beat the Lakers and these mf'er in here HATE the Lakers so much. :lol:

Paul was probably a better player than Dirk. Dirk was more efficient but Paul was way better on defense and Dirk blew a lot of opportunities with better teams.

Nah he wasn’t better than Dirk.

its the under the basket mics, most arenas have them, good for hearing players talk

thats why you always heard Melo curse for rebounds

This makes so much sense. I always wondered why we could always hear players more clearly than the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom