OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Forgive me this isn’t SC related

From Nevada:
Spoke to the Fourth Wiseman who has spent a lot of time with OSU football these last few months...

he chimed in with this report...

"Some really interesting things going on with the program now. You can start to see the imprint that Ryan Day is bringing to Ohio State---and where he is doing things different than Urban Meyer.

Most notably, the way that Ohio State has chosen to embrace QB "guru" Quincy Avery is worth watching. Meyer used to tolerate outside influences on players---recognized them as a necessary evil, but didn't go out of his way to cater to them. Day is totally different. Watch how they put Avery front and center at OSU pro day. Even allowed him to be miced up and kinda be the star of the show. Very different than when Meyer was the boss. Day recognizes the rise of the influence of the "gurus" and is really riding these relationship and trying to build new ones. Something to keep an eye on.

From a players perspective there is a lot to like about this OSU team as they are LOADED across the board. Meyer certainly left Day with a stocked cupboard and with a lot of new faces in the staff its like everyone has the opportunity to put their best foot forward--and its showing in the competition on the field.

Haven't spent as much time with the defense, but when you watch them you immediately notice the number of exotic blitz packages that Mattison has already installed. He loves to bring guys from all over the field--and OSU will undoubtedly blitz more this season than any time in recent memory. White moving to the "Peppers" position is another interesting twist for the OSU defense--as there is a concerted effort to get the best 11 on the field at all times. Will be fun to watch.

Offensively, its clearly the Garrett Wilson show. Whatever adjectives you want to use to describe this kid probably aren't good enough. Fast, great hands, great strength and a great route runner. Absolute star in the making. You hate to talk first round NFL stuff for a guy that's never played a down before--but its ok to do with this young man.

Justin Fields has been very very good. Fun to watch him operate the Ryan Day offense--which seems tailor made for his skill set. A little quiet and not quite the vocal leader that Day wants him to be just yet--and he's been asked to step forward more and be the Alpha--we will see how he responds.

Chris Olave continues to turn heads. Just one of those kids that knows how to get open--and when he does he catches the ball. Just a joy to be around as he has a genuine love for the game and it shows when he is on the field. A real gem late addition to that recruiting class. You really never know who the stars are going to end up being.

Branden Bowen has been repping up and down the line and fills in well wherever they place him. Looks 100% out there and is playing well enough that they will just have to find a place for him on the line. Just big and mobile and that gives him so much flexibility. Great to see him back out there.

Josh Myers has heard all the rumblings about how his starting spot is being taken by the transfer from Rutgers. Is playing with fire and determination everytime is on the field. Just like Jacoby Boren you can't measure the size of guys hearts--and Myers is not one to be counted out. It would not shock me at all to see him starting out there come the fall. Big, nasty and strong--and knows the OSU offense.

Been a great spring thus far....team looks WAY better than even I thought they would at this time...

can't wait for the fall...."

Most notably, the way that Ohio State has chosen to embrace QB "guru" Quincy Avery is worth watching. Meyer used to tolerate outside influences on players---recognized them as a necessary evil, but didn't go out of his way to cater to them. Day is totally different. Watch how they put Avery front and center at OSU pro day. Even allowed him to be miced up and kinda be the star of the show. Very different than when Meyer was the boss. Day recognizes the rise of the influence of the "gurus" and is really riding these relationship and trying to build new ones. Something to keep an eye on.

Interesting move if true. Generally, you'd like to not have that sort of relationship be so front and center for all to see.

Buckeye Brett 2.0?

Did OSU officially hire Avery?

Sounds like they're about to be really good again. What is the DL looking like?

Clemson's recruiting is so ridiculous that they turned away Jaylen Knighton.

:lol: you can post about random 3*'s committing to SC in here, but I can't post about the next Owen Marecic?

200.gif

Did OSU officially hire Avery?

Sounds like they're about to be really good again. What is the DL looking like?

Clemson's recruiting is so ridiculous that they turned away Jaylen Knighton.

I'm sure OSU is breaking him off in someway but I don't think so, and he'd have to be in a onfield role because of his association with Fields.

The first 2 years, Jim used Houma, Kerridge and Hill very well... The last 2 years the offense had no idea how to use anybody... The lack of a good RB also doesn't help.

Names to watch out for is Christian Turner who getting a head start over Zach Charbonett who is out with a knee getting scope but the RB 3 is wide open. They got two or three guys who's capable and Chis Evans is still up in the air.

It's going to be a really bad look if they don't let Evans back on the team, but they let Perry after his ****.

I doubt that he will be on the team but who knows. Another thing that's been coming up is that the offense that we about to run Shea is better suited than the Pro Style offense, If Shea is healthy might or possibly break records this upcoming season . Also Luigi Villain doing well in spring practices, question can he stay healthy for the who season.

I understand that the offense on the surface is a step in the right direction, the great unknown is Harbaugh on Saturdays... He has shown me nothing in 4 years to believe he will want to put up points in a hurry and bury the opposing team... He wants to grind out wins and have his team look “tougher”... He has sacrificed some wins with that mindset.

I understand that the offense on the surface is a step in the right direction, the great unknown is Harbaugh on Saturdays... He has shown me nothing in 4 years to believe he will want to put up points in a hurry and bury the opposing team... He wants to grind out wins and have his team look “tougher”... He has sacrificed some wins with that mindset.

Musty old USC fans reading this mention of using a fullback for 60 plays a game and grinding out wins while looking tough:
tenor.gif

You were just in Texas with the nephew and Bishop Gorman has you posting pics about high school stadiums?

Let me know if you bring the nephew to the DFW area for visits though!

Back
Top Bottom