Official 2017 Knicks Offseason thread, Phil Jackson gone

The problem with Phil isn't the triangle itself. It's the fact that the players just don't get it. He just needs to accept that the current roster isn't going to pick it up. Given the type of players we have, he needs to just let it go and let them play. Instead, he's just making the game more complicated.

It looks like the team don't even attempt to run the triangle so I don't buy the narrative that Phil pushes it on them and that it's the source of their problems.

The source of the problem is DEFENSE.

The guy Horny wanted for the job , his boy in Phoenix, is with the Cavs now. And he would have been with us if Phil didn't designate a seat, and an associate head coach title to Rambis.

Hornacek is a solid coach, but he is also fairly new. He needed his defensive guy.

Now we're stuck with Rambis directing the defense and have fouled more than ever, giving up like 90 free throws in two games.

Your defense jumpstarts your offense.

We don't have any transition buckets anymore.

This team is Jackyll and Hyde.

Anyone with a straight face know what we're gonna get tonight ? First guys off the bench ? Who takes the most shots to start the game? We deadass don't know.

Fact is were not gonna be **** until we play at our strengths. Amelia is not a SF at this point in his career he's a PF. KP is not a PF he's a center. That Joakim Noah contract is the worst in the NBA. Signing him totally killed the chances of our best players playing to their strengths offensively and defensively. What the **** were they thinking. Norman Powell scored a season high of 9 points before his 19 against us last night. Our defense is the worst in the NBA

Agree with all of this, especially Noah. Might end up being as bad of a move as signing Jerome James. Well not that bad bit it's still a bad signing for the years and money.

"We don't run the triangle that much" y'all not really watching if you feel that way. The players run to their designated TRIANGLE spots on the floor at least 75% of the game. Noah holds the ball at the top of the key while the players then try to read and react, he then either keeps it or dumps it off while the other players run over a couple screens then ball handler tries hit a back door cutter Inevitability intercepted because it's so damn PREDICTABLE and the personnel LETHARGICALLY goes through the steps. Or we hit Melo on the elbow jab step jab step jab step nobody moves so he goes one on one. High screen and roll with Rose and KP at the top of the key which then results into a made or missed Steph Curry 3 from KP or a drive from rose which he makes a great layup, gets fouled no call, turns the ball over, or bricks a open mid range jumper. This is all due to the positioning on the court that the triangle forces the players to be in and the fact that their not buying into it at all. It handcuffs the abilities of Porzingis and Rose the most because it's not putting KP in positions on the floor where can dominate the most and in Rose's case it's making him think (which is already a task for him) instead of going off initial reaction and using his speed and athleticism to draw defenses away from everyone else. Rose and KP are scoring 17 and 19 points a game while being handcuffed offensively. That's crazy

Last edited:
I need to move 2 tickets for the Minnesota Timberwolves game in a few weeks. If anybody is interested send me a PM .

The reality is Phil is as out-of-touch as everyone in here thinks he is but we also just aren't good. This team isn't that talented.

We have an over-the-hill Melo, a young and pre-naturally gifted KP and that's really it. Lee is solid but he's not a needle-mover, Rose is a net negative because of his defense and inability to actually run a defense/draw fouls and Noah is washed. That's all we have.

Hopefully we get another top 5 pick coming. Some intriguing prospects in this class coming up.

Lonzo Ball, Markelle Fultz, Dennis Smith, Jayson Tatum and Miles Bridges are who I'm watching for the Knicks.

Last edited:
Y'all coming up w/ all of these lengthy explanations :lol:. This team just simply doesn't defend. It's really that simple. While our offense can improve, it hasn't been THAT bad. The problem is, you can't score 100 points & give up 115.

Hopefully we get another top 5 pick coming. Some intriguing prospects in this class coming up.

Lonzo Ball, Markelle Fultz, Dennis Smith, Jayson Tatum and Miles Bridges are who I'm watching for the Knicks.

Markelle Fultz would be perfect as a running mate with KP if things go to ****. Let Rose walk & bring in a more than capable replacement on a rookie deal.

Even if we don't get a top 5 pick there's intriguing guard prospects all over the 1st round. Frank Ntilikina, De'Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, etc.

probably not but at least we get to keep it... it doesnt even matter where our pick is at its all about who we pick up and they can actually play

D. Rose is not going to be here next year if things go right.

Why would anybody want a shoot first PG that can shoot, has had three knee surgeries, doesn't play D to stay around??

Don't need the #1 pick but landing in the top six would be a great look. The lottery picks in this draft should be good.

Y'all coming up w/ all of these lengthy explanations :lol:. This team just simply doesn't defend. It's really that simple. While our offense can improve, it hasn't been THAT bad. The problem is, you can't score 100 points & give up 115.

Knicks defensive drop-off from last season to this season is more of a result of Kristaps Porzingis than anything else.

Last season

Porzingis averaged 28.4 minutes per game 7.3 rebounds 1.9 blocks .7 steals 2.8 personal fouls

Def Rating 103.6

In just his first year in the league, Porzingis cracked the Top 10 in blocks and the Top 20 in defensive field goal percentage at the rim.

Overall, Porzingis held opponents to 41.7 percent shooting from the field on 13.4 field goal attempts faced per game. That’s a decline of 4.9 percent from his opponents’ average field goal percentage.

That’s just a small sample of what Porzingis brings to the table on the defensive end of the floor. He’s just as capable of stepping out to defend the perimeter—opponents shot 30.5 percent against Porzingis on 3-point field goals—as he is intimidating in the paint.

This season

Porzingis is averaging 30.8 minutes per game 6.3 rebounds 1.3 blocks .6 steals 4.0 personal fouls

Def Rating 112

And while I couldn't find any information on his opponent shooting numbers, the simple eye test can tell us that he has been getting lit up by everybody that he's attempted to guard this season and I can imagine that his opponent shooting numbers are much higher than they were last year.

Now lets look at Joakim Noah and Robin Lopez

Last year Lopez

27.1 minutes per game 7.3 Rebounds 1.6 blocks .2 steals 2.2 fouls

Defensive Rating 107

This year Noah

24.6 minutes per game 8.8 rebounds .8 blocks 1.0 steals 2.7 fouls

Defensive Rating 107

From the "eye test" Noah's defense has been terrible. I can count on one hand how many times i've seen him contest a player driving to the rim.

Its more about team defense than individual defense anyway. I saw us run some zone the other game which I found kinda funny.

Noah's interior defense and KP's perimeter defense has been an absolute joke this season. It's comical how bad it is

Really can't believe how invested I still am in this team with all they've put me through over the years

My fandom just keeps growing and I wish it wouldn't 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom