OFFICIAL 2017 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD - Spring Game schedule on first page

Who is going to win the Pac 12 this season?

• USC

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Stanford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Washington

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Oregon

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Wazzu

• Utah

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Colorado

• Oregon St

• Cal

• Arizona St

• Arizona

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Two main things for me are:

He has church gatherings for his football team every Sunday (while coaching at a public university, and getting paid with public money). He claims that there is no prejudice towards players who don't attend, but based on how every college football coach is a control freak, and by his comments on other subjects, I find it hard to believe.

I don't like how he berates his players publically. Coaches are always asking their players to be mentally tough, and also to play "in control".... yet he goes off the rails on minor things his players do.

This subject is another reason I hate Brian Kelly, and one of the reasons I like Jim harbaugh. If you watch UM games, the only time harbaugh goes crazy is usually at refs. He will not yell or go bezerk on his players. Remember that these players are the ones bringing in all the money, but the coaches and other higher ups are the ones making all the profit. They are university employees.... and the whole point of university is to grow and learn. When I see these bum coaches being ********, I believe they are not what should represent a university.

I agree with this sentiment on Dumbo. The way he publicly called out his kicker last year wasn't cool but that's Dumbo being Dumbo.

He makes something up.

I dispute it.

And I'm the *** hole?
A lot of players hated playing for Jim Harbaugh.

"What's a lot?"

*Shares articles where 4-9 players say they considered transferring/quitting football specifically because they didn't like Harbaugh*

"That's not a lot! that's just 3 people! More than that is a lot! You're making things up!"

Yes, in this case, you are the *** hole.

Duke and Notre Dame easily take that spot
I'm a Duke fan (parents met there) but feel like we aren't that bad.

I hate fans in general who have zero reason for rooting for a team/ school.
roll.gif
http://www.aseaofblue.com/2007/6/7/102426/5876

Duke doesn't have sidewalk fans?

Last edited:
/Lets start with the Wilton Speight article. Where does it say he thought about transferring specifically because he didn't like harbaugh?

Everyone can play along.

He was once known as the quarterback Jim Harbaugh chewed out on HBO. Now Wilton Speight is known as the guy who stayed at Michigan — and thrived.

At one point during camp before the 2015 season, Speight’s redshirt freshman campaign, he was the fifth-string quarterback. He talked to his parents about the situation and they agreed into looking to a tran
sfer. Speight’s father even started reaching out to other schools.

One night at camp, Speight told teammates about his intent and then went to sleep. The next morning, he talked about it with WR Drake Harris and then started to give it more thought.

“I woke up in the dorms during camp and Drake Harris was my roommate, and I told a bunch of my teammates that I was out,” Speight said while speaking with reporters Tuesday. “Then I woke up the next morning and Drake was like, ‘are you sure, are you sure?’

“It was serious, but that’s all in the past.”

In the end, Speight gave it another week. By camp’s end, he moved from fifth to second string behind Jake Ruddock. Now firmly entrenched as the Wolverines’ starting quarterback, Speight quipped Tuesday that he knew if he stayed, he would be the best-coached fifth-string quarterback in the country.

Still, he says he was serious about the idea. “The wheels were in motion,” Speight said, adding that North Carolina State was a possibility. His grandfather played basketball there.

And try as he might, he wasn’t able to entirely keep his thoughts about transferring a secret from coaches.

“(Quarterbacks) coach (Jedd) Fisch, he knew he had a sense about it,” Speight said.

Speight has since talked with Harbaugh about his past transfer thoughts. Not surprisingly, Speight said Harbaugh is glad he didn’t decide to leave, adding, his head coach “was a little surprised. He knew I wasn’t in good standing with some coaches.”

Speight has completed 149 of 231 for 2,053 yards with 15 touchdowns and 3 interceptions for the Wolverines, who are unbeaten at 9-0 and sitting at No. 3 in the newest College Football Playoff rankings. Michigan visits Iowa for an 8 p.m. ET kickoff Saturday on ABC.

Have at it.

In the end, Speight gave it another week. By camp’s end, he moved from fifth to second string behind Jake Ruddock. Now firmly entrenched as the Wolverines’ starting quarterback, Speight quipped Tuesday that he knew if he stayed, he would be the best-coached fifth-string quarterback in the country.

Now firmly entrenched as the Wolverines’ starting quarterback, Speight quipped Tuesday that he knew if he stayed, he would be the best-coached fifth-string quarterback in the country.

Speight quipped Tuesday that he knew if he stayed, he would be the best-coached fifth-string quarterback in the country.

Last edited:
Harbaugh has one of those personalities that polarizes people.  While the VAST MAJORITY of the Michigan family wanted him back, there was a somewhat vocal minority that wanted nothing to do with him because even as a player he was guy that made you felt one way or another and there was usually no in-between. 

I think it's unfair though to blame the retirements of Borland, Pat, and Smith on Harbaugh.  Borland retired for his long term health, Smith was in his mid-30's, and Pat's body was breaking down. 

Boone's comments should also be taken with a grain of salt considering he's a Buckeye. 

Last edited:
Also think Harbaugh's coaching style is way better for college. NFL guys not trying to do these grueling and long NFL practices. Not surprising that they didn't like them.

Juju Smith-Schuster said in an interview that part of his consideration for coming back to college in 2017 is to play safety.

He was a 5-star safety in high school.

USC writer Garry Paskwietz on it:
It’s a very interesting thought. Count me as one of those who watched him in high school and thought he should have been on defense. Don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a terrific offensive player but he had a physical presence on defense that you simply don’t find in too many safeties, and we’ve certainly seen over the years how valuable a player like that can be. So the question then becomes, how serious is he about a possible move? If it’s just something to dabble in for the team while wanting to still pursue being a receiver full-time I don’t see it as something that would impact his draft status all that much. But if there is something in his head that is seriously thinking about moving to defense I think that would definitely be a situation to watch.
I guess if he believes he'd be a 1st round safety and for some reason not a 1st or 2nd round WR he wants to get some film? Or he's trolling.

Last edited:
Is he going to be a 2 way player then?

No. He's a WR. Coming in, I thought he would be a safety for sure. He was violent in ugh school at one of the top programs in Southern California. When he switched to WR, I thought it made sense for him to switch because it pays better

This is just Juju being stupid and seeking attention and have people talk about him. Ain't no chance in hell he comes back to play safety. That's ******ed. But USC is putting the full court press on him to come back and promising him an early insurance policy for next seasons

But he's going pro unless he's legit dumb. So I give him a 30% Chance of coming back

I cited the Anthony Davis article to highlight how 5 dudes quit the sport following his last season. It also I believe had links to on each players retirement.

Another player:

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article18933750.html
Yet Anthony Davis came back after Harbaugh was fired, criticized the front office, then retired again. Harbaugh was already gone when Davis outed himself. But before he was drafted he was red flagged as a guy who was thought of as a player that lacked discipline and commitment.

Patrick Willis retired due to turf toe.

Justin Smith was entering the twilight of his career and battled shoulder problems the last few years.

Chris Borland saw the CTE effects and even returned the signing bonus of his new contract to retire after a year.

These aren't guys that "just left" because of Harbaugh

Alex Boone? Well, he said this during Harbaugh's final year in SF:

“As a matter of fact, I know for a fact that everybody loves Harbaugh,” Boone told Bruce. “He’s a great guy. He’s a great coach. How could you not want to win for a guy who wears cleats during a game? Come on, now. Have you ever seen that guy’s energy? He’s excited 24/7. You got to love to play for a guy like that. That’s what football’s all about.

“And for people to come out and say, ‘Oh, so-and-so told me they want him on the outs,’ all right, name your source. Go ahead. I can’t do that. Well, that doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t know. Apparently, I don’t live in reality.”

And then said Harbaugh was clinically insane after he was fired. But we're supposed to believe a guy who talks from both sides of his mouth?

Dabo got a 400k bonus for the win. His players get a PlayStation. I hope they included a video game.

Juju Smith-Schuster said in an interview that part of his consideration for coming back to college in 2017 is to play safety.

He was a 5-star safety in high school.
If he's going to try his hand on D, he should try to play corner, which is where the money is. 

How legit is the poster "FREE KOBE" on your 247 board?  Im starting to believe now...

Back
Top Bottom