Official 2017 Boxing Thread: 12/16 - Billy Joe Saunders vs. David Lemieux HBO

Who will be the winner of Terence Crawford vs. Julius Indongo fight?

• Crawford

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Indongo

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
idk what you mean those are big signature wins

But outside of boxing fans, people don't know who they are. I don't think having big names is the main ingredient to becoming a super star, even though it certainly helps. Canelo had been built up going into his fight with Mosley and at that time the biggest names on his resume were Cintron and Baldomir. For Anthony Joshua, his biggest win was Dillian Whyte and he became a draw before Klitschko-Joshua.

I think the same could be said about GGG, he just happens to destroy his opponents so they look like lesser fighters. Lemiuex was looked down too. Most of GGGs wins were against middleweights who were in the top 5 of the weight class at the time but many gave him little credit for those wins.

I am really not sure you can say Charlos beat legit fighters just yet where they're the best. We'll have to see how they stack up when competition gets better, like GGG, maybe it is true that those fighters aren't on the same level and once he fought Jacobs and Canelo then he isn't KOing them left and right?

Why can't we see Charlo go against Jacobs or Lemiuex or N'Dam first?

Jacobs and Lemieux are both HBO. N'dam is fighting Murata this weekend. I was going to say Murata vs Charlo would be good but then realized Murata is with Top Rank. Andrade is fighting some 6'4" Middleweight this weekend on HBO too and I don't even know what his affiliations are right now. Andrade goofed by not fighting Charlo , being inactive, and signing whatever bad deal he had.

Interestingly, the fight is in Montreal. Quick turnaround for Billy Joe, but good idea to stay active so he doesn't blow up in weight again.

freakydestroyer freakydestroyer you think Billy Joe winning this 1?

Billy Joe hasn't traveled outside his country to fight, so he must be pretty confident to agree to fight in Lemieux's backyard. Billy Joe's gameplan will probably revolve around jabbing, countering, timing, and staying composed. Both fade in the later rounds. If the fight turns out to be close, the locale advantage could be significant.

Golden Boy Promotions, which promotes Cotto and Ali, offered the fight to a number of other opponents with bigger names, all with ties to adviser/manager Al Haymon: Errol Spence Jr.; Mikey Garcia; Danny Garcia; Jessie Vargas; and Lamont Peterson.

For various reasons, they all turned it down.

Spence preferred a deal to defend his welterweight title against Peterson in January on Showtime for a purse that, according to a source, will be more than $3 million, rather than the $2.5 million that Spence was offered to face Cotto as part of a longer-term commitment to Golden Boy and HBO.

Former welterweight and junior welterweight titlist Danny Garcia, according to the source with knowledge of the talks, did not want to move up to 154 pounds.

Vargas, now being advised by Haymon following the expiration of his promotional deal with Top Rank, also got an offer, but according to Golden Boy, they were very far apart on the money and the talks went nowhere.

It was Mikey Garcia who posed the most intrigue as a possible opponent, because the lightweight world titleholder -- whose last fight on July 29 was a one-sided decision against Adrien Broner at junior welterweight -- had called out Cotto repeatedly. He was willing to move all the way up to junior middleweight -- no catch weight -- to challenge Cotto, and the sides had gotten close to making a deal.

Eventually, Mikey Garcia, 29, turned down the offer. According to two sources with knowledge of the offer, he would have received at least $2 million to fight Cotto, plus a "substantial" bonus of around $500,000 if he were to win the fight. The Cotto bout would have been the first for Mikey Garcia in a four-fight deal he would have to sign with Golden Boy.

The second fight would have been a lightweight title unification fight with Jorge Linares, who also is with Golden Boy, around March. That fight also could have been at junior welterweight, if both fighters agreed. Then there would be two more fights, with one potentially against welterweight Lucas Matthysse, Golden Boy president Eric Gomez told ESPN.

DMemE-sW0AA8G4W.jpg

Tank looking lame posting sparring videos knocking out that kid. And funny how the tables turned with Tank trying to get the Farmer fight immediately now

Sounds like if Farmer wins on the 9th he's going for Berchelt first, can't blame him

I don't know how to feel about Rosado vs Tapia tonight. Both get offered fights because of who they are but they need to know when to hang it up.

Man, I don’t have the stomach to watch Tapia keep getting beat up like this. Maybe I’m getting softer with old age.

Hasn’t been the same since Kirkland, and that bum ref Smoger left him out to dry by letting him get hammered that night. I follow Tapia on social media, seems like a genuinely good dude but hopefully he decides to hang it up after tonight.

I don't know how to feel about Rosado vs Tapia tonight. Both get offered fights because of who they are but they need to know when to hang it up.

Crazy part is that both guys are young and could have had longer careers. Managers/promoters threw them to the wolves too early.

After taking a bad loss they would fight another top contender resulting in another bad loss. Rosado even did one of those lame BKB fights :smh:

I ****s with Gabe and thought he beat Murray and this win against Tapia should be his 2nd in a row.

He's not going to be a champ but I think he still has some fights left in him.

Tapia on the other hand needs to chill.

Last edited:
Andrade is probably going to make an offer to Rosado after his fight on Saturday.

I'm really not sure how Corrales Machado is going to play out. But I am looking forward to it. Corrales is being underestimated because of how he looked in his last fight.

Last edited:
Crazy part is that both guys are young and could have had longer careers. Managers/promoters threw them to the wolves too early.

After taking a bad loss they would fight another top contender resulting in another bad loss. Rosado even did one of those lame BKB fights :smh:

Actually Rosado was in reverse. Dude never had a long amateur career, he just fell into Boxing so most of his learning was on the job. Won like 9 straight at 154 but gave up his madatory to fight GGG. I do agree though, he never really had many tune-ups but he also doesn’t get flat out dominated in fights. Old school Philly fighter to the 10th degree.

Back
Top Bottom