OFFICIAL 2016 RIO SUMMER OLYMPICS THREAD (Rio is a wrap; See you in Tokyo in 2020 (or, more likely,i

Lochte got the midlife crisis hair because he thought this would finally be his Olympics until Phelps came back to **** on him one last time.

Lochte for sure gotta have some sort of hate for dude.. Dude would have wayyyyyyyy more gold medals if not for phelps

Least 3 more individual based on that pic only, he came 3rd one of those years I think

Also, my guy, what is the point of Ledecky going to Stanford instead of going pro?

Who can possibly even come close to challenging her at the NCAA level? Why not just get on the Hosszu plan, smash the World Cup/Grand Prix races and make millions?

Maybe her family is already rich? Idk.

College is a prety fun experience. Get to meet a lot of people. An ivy league degree is nice too. Burnout must happen a lot doing these international competitions all the time.

Honestly, I don't know.. Swimming you kinda gotta go phelps if you're anywhere near that level, go pro early and maximize you're earning potential

There is a young dude Michael Andrew who has broken a ton of age group records stateside that went pro and signed with adidas, he ain't no phelps.. But guys develop later

But like missy and ledecky, I would personnel tell them go pro early.. Make as much as you can.. Cause who knows what state missy will be in come 2020.. I could see ledecky around 2020 and 2024, but obviously you gotta get that Olympic window money while you can.. That's when you get non-swimming ad money

But as a fan of swimming I could see this working out completely differently than missy.. There are a couple Stanford women on the team.. And more importantly for ledecky, you got 2 there that will challenge her in the 'weaker' part of her freestyle (sprinting).. Lia Neal and Simone Manuel will both be there

That's why you have some overlap with certain things.. It's huge having that day in day out competition

Like Texas has a bunch of guys there.. Just for the 200 free relay, 3 guys were in between prelims and finals: haas, conger and Clark smith.. Also had couple other guys come close to qualifying for the team

Chase Kalisz trains with phelps, which is huge for his IMs going against the GOAT day in and out

Georgia women also put a good amount on the team

Pebley trains with Ryan Murphy everyday.. Cal's men's team also got a couple others on there

Last edited:
College is a prety fun experience. Get to meet a lot of people. An ivy league degree is nice too. Burnout must happen a lot doing these international competitions all the time.

Yea it's a lot lighter.. Every week you got duel meets pretty much.. So it's like that Olympics type team thing going all season and carrying you

And you got relays and all that.. That you won't get on the pro circuit

On my phone, but when I get back in office I'll outline what the typical practice week is like for a D1 swimmer

But I gotta give it to them.. You're dealing with mostly white people.. But they find ways to make a very very individually oriented sport very team oriented

Like you knew everyone on the team's birthday better than you knew people in your immediate family.. Because we would get some variation of a "birthday swim".. It changed from team to team, but pretty much all teams had it

It was either the coach give you an event to swim and they would give you a time.. Or you pick the event and they give you the time.. You make the time, no practise

Or a common one, was you have to swim a 100 fly.. And your teammates lineup on both sides of the lane.. And splash the shhhhhhhhh out of you while you're swimming that 100 fly.. Like this:

Last edited:
Lochte for sure gotta have some sort of hate for dude.. Dude would have wayyyyyyyy more gold medals if not for phelps

Least 3 more individual based on that pic only, he came 3rd one of those years I think
As i was watching last night (on dvr), i thought that Lochte and Phelps reminds me of C. Ronaldo and Messi in the soccer world. If it wasn't for Messi, Ronaldo would have way more individual accolades and without questions be the best player on the planet.

I played D1 soccer for 3 years, and without a doubt, my time with my teammates are some of the best memories and experiences of my life. There is just something about being with the same group of people and grinding together day in and day out. I'm sure that is what Missy wanted. I can't help but think that maybe that was her only focus. To experience college on a team, but not thinking much of going to a program that would work on her weaknesses and set her up better for when she did go pro.

Pretty sure most of these swimmers come from some family $$$.  @itsaboutthattime did Bolles give out athletic scholarships or did most of the athletes there come from money to be able to afford boarding school?

Pretty sure most of these swimmers come from some family $$$.  @itsaboutthattime
did Bolles give out athletic scholarships or did most of the athletes there come from money to be able to afford boarding school?

There was an olympic solidarity organization that gave a ton of swimmers and other athletes scholarships from smaller countries

But we had donors that covered the fees for a bunch of kids on the football team

I wouldnt say swimming is like crew or anything horseback riding, where you gotta have money to invovled just because the costs of the sport.. or golf

It's like tennis.. certain facets of society wont be involved unless the have some sort of link to it

The interesting thing with swimming is, especially in the US I feel like if a lot of the 6'4/6'5 kids with huge wingspans that get drawn to basketball could've turned out to be world class swimmers if they were pushed there instead.

Lot of socioeconomic factors that lead to who takes up what sport.

The interesting thing with swimming is, especially in the US I feel like if a lot of the 6'4/6'5 kids with huge wingspans that get drawn to basketball could've turned out to be world class swimmers if they were pushed there instead.

US handball coach said basketball player lebron james could be the best handball player in 6months :nerd:

Last edited:
For a pro sport though even riding the bench for the NBA or playing overseas is still more money than being a handball or beach volleyball champiom.

Can probably say the same thing for most elite athletes. Handball in gymclass was fun.

For a pro sport though even riding the bench for the NBA or playing overseas is still more money than being a handball or beach volleyball champiom.

why not do both. wasnt a guy like chase a big time volleyball player? would think it'd be like riding a bike again if he decided to retire and play volleyball or even did it in the offseason.

Last edited:

Very true.

The biggest sport where that isn't true though, is tennis.

We've seen what having truly elite athleticism has done for Nadal/Serena, imagine if Russell Westbrook took up tennis instead?

Kinda moot point though because he's definitely going to make more money in the NBA but some other freak athletes with less skill could've benefited from being pushed in a different direction early on.

Last edited:
why not do both. wasnt a guy like chase a big time volleyball player? would think it'd be like riding a bike again if he decided to retire and play volleyball or even did it in the offseason.

He's too banged up from the NBA, he's not the same level of athlete he used to be at all.

Would probably still do really well though.

yup..

but swimming is kinda like track, where you have to find those bigger guys who have some level of coordination and flexibility (LeBron theoretically could have been a monster or westbrook).. well gotta get them comfortable in the water first, which is huge for a lot of people and then you gotta work on the simple where they can use energy constructively

and with some, they just aren't able to turnover quickly/efficiently enough to get past a certain point 

like reece whitley is a interesting story, 6'8 16 year old black kid:

https://swimswam.com/bio/reece-whitley/

Last edited:
My only beef with the IOC/ Olympics are the medals. 494 silver and 6 grams of gold??? for a gold medal.Take it back to the old days, where is was 100% pure gold :smokin

Last edited:
the event missy broke the WR in at the last Olympics, 200 back, looking like she might struggle to just make the final (semis are tonight)

man, imagine if our best athletes competed in track or swim (or soccer
eyes.gif
) though 
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom