Official 2016 Boxing Thread: 11/5/2016 - Vargas/Pacquiao Top Rank PPV.

Gennady Golovkin and mandatory challenger Danny Jacobs are both set to attend Saturday’s light heavyweight championship between Sergey Kovalev and Andre Ward in Las Vegas, RingTV.com has learned.

“We heard GGG was going to be out here,” Keith Connolly, who advises Jacobs, told RingTV.com on Friday from Vegas. “We’re looking forward to seeing him.”

Rather than appearing as a way to build momentum to face the winner of Saturday’s fight on HBO PPV, Golovkin (36-0, 33 knockouts) and Jacobs remain locked in negotiations to face off in the first quarter of 2017. While the two sides have been haggling for over a month, talks have progressed to the point where March is now being mentioned as a possible end point for the fight, according to Connolly.

“It seems like we’re getting closer,” Tom Loeffler, who promotes Golovkin, told RingTV.com on Friday. “We’re still in negotiations, same as before. Still, if we didn’t think the fight would happen we wouldn’t be having these discussions. From every indication I’ve heard, Danny wants the fight.”

The holdup appears to be centered around money, according to Showtime boxing chief Stephen Espinoza, who is close with Jacobs’ powerful advisor, Al Haymon and wants the fight on his network. “What I’ve heard is there’s still no meeting of the minds on revenue splits,” Espinoza told RingTV.com on Wednesday. “It’s not a complicated issue. It could get solved any day. But there’s always that purse bid process that’s looming. The good thing is I think one way or the other it will come to a resolution. It’s a little bit of a waiting game but at least we know there’s an end in sight.”
http://www.ringtv.com/474007-ggg-jacobs-attend-ward-kov-talks-progress/#.WC9uVuir588.twitter

Good sign?  

I actually think that depending on how Ward looks tomorrow, we might actually get Golovkin/Ward. Or a definitive no to it ever happpening.

I think if Kovalev can KO him or hurt him bad, it could improve the odds of it happening.

I still don't think it'll ever happen though because I'm not sure Kovalev can do that.

I'll say Ward doesn't get knocked down but gets warning for low blow or excessive clinching.

I'm saying...a point deducted will be crucial if the fight is close and goes to the cards.
wow...kovalev is really overlooked in this thread.

but we'll see what happens saturday

What do you mean? I see more people pick him here % wise than on the boxing forums and youtube channels that I frequent.

Last edited:
I'm saying...a point deducted will be crucial if the fight is close and goes to the cards.
What do you mean? I see more people pick him here % wise than on the boxing forums and youtube channels that I frequent.

you could be right. truthfully, i only glanced at the last few pages which seemed heavily in favor of ward.

I think if Kovalev can KO him or hurt him bad, it could improve the odds of it happening.

I still don't think it'll ever happen though because I'm not sure Kovalev can do that.
I actually think it's the opposite.  

I dont see Ward continuing on if he gets KO'd or stopped in a one sided affair.  He doesn't strike as a guy that would be willing to pick up the pieces and restart his career, and a potential GGG-Ward fight isn't happening until 2018 at the earliest. 

No one is overlooking The Krusher. Dude has tremendous power, but AW is one of the best boxers right now. If it was not for the stupid battle he had with Duva the last 5 years about contracts and what not, 0utside of a Floyd you would say SOG would be the best. I mean he's got a good resume til now. If he beats Kovalev tomorrow, he's the P4P king right now. No doubt about it.

No one is overlooking The Krusher. Dude has tremendous power, but AW is one of the best boxers right now. If it was not for the stupid battle he had with Duva the last 5 years about contracts and what not, 0utside of a Floyd you would say SOG would be the best. I mean he's got a good resume til now. If he beats Kovalev tomorrow, he's the P4P king right now. No doubt about it.
It was Goossen.

I actually think it's the opposite.  

I dont see Ward continuing on if he gets KO'd or stopped in a one sided affair.  He doesn't strike as a guy that would be willing to pick up the pieces and restart his career, and a potential GGG-Ward fight isn't happening until 2018 at the earliest. 

I get whee you are coming from. What I meant was Golovkin's people are more likely to seek out the fight if Kovalev can KO or visibly hurt him.

Back
Top Bottom