Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about it, the more I think it's going to happen. Canelo will win by controversial decision on September 14, 2013. Mayweather will lose his damn mind and protest. But Canelo will not give him an immediate rematch, he's going to fight guys like Cotto and Ortiz to delay the rematch until a year or so later. For the rematch, Canelo is going to be wiser and in his prime. Floyd will be on his way out. Fight weight will be at 154 because Canelo calls the shots. Canelo beats Mayweather convincingly and becomes the new P4P king.

Last edited:
I think Canelo is gonna get frustrated bc he can't touch Mayweather, and will repeatedly try to head butt him out of frustration.  When the ref stops the fight to warn Canelo, Canelo will try to apologize with a hug and kiss on the cheek at which point PBF will land a delicious two piece, and win by KO.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's going to happen. Canelo will win by controversial decision on September 14, 2013. Mayweather will lose his damn mind and protest. But Canelo will not give him an immediate rematch, he's going to fight guys like Cotto and Ortiz to delay the rematch until a year or so later. For the rematch, Canelo is going to be wiser and in his prime. Floyd will be on his way out. Fight weight will be at 154 because Canelo calls the shots. Canelo beats Mayweather convincingly and becomes the new P4P king.

Nice try. Nope. Floyd ain't losing.

Nice try. Nope. Floyd ain't losing.

We'll see. If I'm wrong, then oh well. If I'm right, I will have a cool story to tell my kids and grand kids. :lol:

You should really get some sleep man 
laugh.gif

Freaky got valid points too; look what Arum did to PAC on the Bradley fight. He needs a new cash cow and he set up the robbery so Bradley would become that (seemed to backfire tho because of all the flak)
Manny is good because he has his set crowd, and in his way out the sport. Going to Vegas for the fight so I might throw in a couple bills

Just watched a couple of minutes of a U-streamed Floyd training session for Canelo.....Saul might get that work.

Floyd looks as fresh as ever and his activity level is as high as it's been in a while. Plus he motivated, with the end of career in his sights and he's coming off the demolition of another physically strong pressure fighter.

Last edited:
I have TWC. They better squash their beef before the fight.
I swear this is worse than golden boy vs top rank.

So I wrote this earlier, but somehow it did not submit properly or got deleted. But for the sake of my NT brethren, I took the time to write it out again. Please note this is not gambling advice in any way, shape, or form. I am only offering my perspective and prediction.

Why Canelo Alvarez Will Have A Victory Over Floyd Mayweather

As I mentioned earlier, my prediction is that Floyd Mayweather will get “robbed” on September 14, 2013 against Saul Alvarez. Perhaps it shouldn’t be called “robbery” but a controversial decision. This is how it will pan out. Alvarez will win four rounds deservingly. It is reasonable considering that in most viewer’s eyes, Miguel Cotto won three rounds against Mayweather. Then the judges will find three close rounds to score in favor of Saul Alvarez. So the next question is why would they rob the pound for pound king, cash cow Money Mayweather?

After his fight with Alvarez, Floyd Mayweather has four more fights remaining in his 6 fight, 200 million dollar deal with Showtime. Now let’s look at the list of most likely opponents in no particular order.
Amir Khan
Devon Alexander
Lucas Matthysee
Danny Garcia
Kell Brook

Let’s be blunt, all of these opponents will only do a little better than Guerrero numbers. Showtime needs to recuperate their investment and secure their future somehow. Showtime and the MGM Grand realize that they have a promising 22-year old who will keep their lights on for the next 10 years or even longer – Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. They come up with a master plan…use Floyd Mayweather as a stepping stone to propel Saul “Canelo” Alvarez to be a megarstar.
But now let’s look at the guys who have the most superstar potential across all the Promoters.

Golden Boy
Adrien Broner- Great skills, most find him annoying. But needs to find his own identity and seems to be distracted by his music and outside the ring antics.
Danny Garcia- Always finds a way to win, gets the job done. But nothing about him really stands out.
Peter Quillin- Catchy nickname, charismatic, exciting in the ring. Might be just a couple fights away from superstar status.

Top Rank
Timothy Bradley- Talks a good talk and has the will to win. But his in-ring abilities limit him to be a cut below a true superstar.
Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.- Son of a legend, will need some time to rebuild after long layoff and loss to Sergio Martinez.
Nonito Donaire- Fan friendly style, likely to carry the Filipino torch. But he’s coming off a loss again Rigondeux. That along with not many good opponents left for him leaves him in the dust.

Other Promoters
Andre Ward- Olympic Gold Medalist, Super Six Winner, Currently #2 P4P only behind Mayweather. Obviously he’s an excellent fighter, but he’s just not a big draw and he’s run out of big name opponents.
Gennady Golovkin- A fan favorite. Who doesn’t like knockouts? He can very well be on his way.

As you can see, most of these prospective future superstars are questionable, whereas the sun is shining bright on Canelo Alvarez. However note that out of this list, Golovkin and Quillin are the most promising. Let’s revisit those two later.

After his fight with Floyd Mayweather, these will be Canelo’s most likely opponents in chronological order.

Miguel Cotto- Mexico vs Puerto Rico always brings big bucks.
Victor Ortiz- has embarrassed himself in his last couple outings, but he’s still a recognizable name and the biggest Mexican-American name.

Rematch with Floyd Mayweather- A year later or so, Floyd is on his way out. This time Canelo is more experienced and approaching his prime. At the rate Canelo is maturing, expect Canelo to win fair and square by a thin margin.

Move To Middleweight
Sergio Martinez- Martinez will not fight Golovkin simply because there’s too much risk, and not so much reward. He will accept a fight with Alvarez because he likely won’t be beaten as bad and will at least retire with a big payday.

2016-2017
At this point Alvarez will be on top of the boxing world having retired perhaps two legends, Martinez and Mayweather. He will clean out the middle division fighting guys like Felix Sturm, Daniel Geale, Martin Murray, Darren Barker, Matthew Macklin, etc.

Meanwhile, Golovkin and Quillin develop into superstars in their own right. Chavez Jr is the odd man out because he is with Top Rank and it’s uncertain if he will still be able to make 160. So rivalries between Alvarez, Golovkin, and Quillin brew.

Alvarez vs Quillin and Alvarez vs Golovkin are going to be the next blockbuster mega fights. They are going to tease us for a while, sort of like Pacquiao vs Mayweather. But these three middleweights will mix it up at some point simply because there’s too much money involved and Golden Boy does not have to work with Top Rank to make it happen.

With that being said, the sport of boxing rests on the shoulders of Canelo Alvarez. Sure there’s really no shame in losing to Floyd Mayweather. But the powers that be are going for the motherload and want to keep Canelo’s record without a blemish in order to build him up to be the chosen one.

Last edited:
There were some pretty good fights on NBC sports last night. The African who out boxed Chambers was surprisingly fast and had reallt good counting ability. Being 5 foot 9 May limit him against some of the take cruisers though. It also seemed like he wanted no parts of fighting inside too and I'm not to sure if he has the footwork to keep a pressure fighter of him. Curtis looked good In getting that KO. It looks like he will get his match against GGG. Really don't see no way for Curtis to win. He probably gets stopped in round 4. If I was his management I would try and get a fight against Quillin in MSG. In that fight his chances are shot better even though I still see him getting stopped.

Great to see Curtis get his career back on track. He has all the talent in the world, just got caught up in that Brooklyn thug stupidness.

He showed off his boxing against Derrick Findley, taking some mustard off of his shots and he turned back on to power last night to show that he's still a power puncher.

That left hook :x ....

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/9536896/curtis-stevens-smashes-saul-roman-quick-knockout

He's rushing that GGG fight though. He should take 2/3 more step up fights, with 1/2 on Showtime before fighting GGG on HBO this time next year.

Last edited:
Chavez scrambled sons brain. He forgot he was in San Antonio 
laugh.gif

. Son said thank you San Diego.

lol. Recorded this and the HBO fights that night. Finally watched them all. Knockout kings 2
Was 10 times better. Would love to be at an event like that in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom