Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

Ive seen Evan Fournier mocked to my Pacers. I like that bc another reliable option at the SG will allow Paul George to play more SF, and eventually replace Granger in the next few years.

being a wizards fan i wasnt sure who i would like to see go #3, but my mind is made up.  I would love to see harrison barnes.  after watching a lot of film on MGK, beal, and barnes, i really feel barnes is the pick.  he address a huge hole at the 2, which i see as his nba position.
plus i think the wizards are going to love a roy williams coached guy.

indifferent.gif

If the Wizards draft Harrison Barnes over MKG I will be livid.

And 
laugh.gif
 @ HB being a 2. He can't create his own shot...and you think he's a 2?

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

indifferent.gif

And 
laugh.gif

my exact reaction to reading that.  I honestly pray we do not trade to draft him and feel bad for anyone who drafts him expecting him to be highly productive.

indifferent.gif

And 
laugh.gif

Well, the Wizards already have a non-shooting/scoring SF in Singleton. 

[h2]NBA Draft 2012: Harrison Barnes[/h2]by Ed Weiland
The feeling out there about Harrison Barnes seems to be that while he’s definitely overhyped, at least he’ll become a player in the mold of a Rudy Gay or Luol Deng and that’s not a bad catch in the 5-10 range of the draft. I think that’s way too optimistic. Here is a look at Barnes compared to SFs drafted in the top 10 in recent years. Players are listed in order of NBA accomplishment, or a reasonable guess at such:
[table][tr][td]Player[/td][td]
2PP
[/td][td]
3PP
[/td][td]
P40
[/td][td]
R40
[/td][td]
ASB40
[/td][td]
A/TO
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Kevin Durant[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Carmelo Anthony[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Shane Battier[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Andre Iguodala[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Rudy Gay[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Luol Deng[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Mike Miller[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Mike Dunleavy[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Josh Childress[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Marvin Williams[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Corey Brewer[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Adam Morrison[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Rodney White[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Joe Alexander[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]Harrison Barnes[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
ASB40 is combined assists, steals and blocks per 40 minutes in case you hadn’t figured that out. I use this, because it highlights versatility. This has historically been a big deal for SF prospects. Looking at the players on the list who were busts, starting at Marvin Williams, the clear trend is they come up short in at least one of these categories. Williams, Morrison and White had the low ASB40, Brewer was a poor rebounder and infrequent scorer, Alexander an inefficient scorer, White and Williams had the low A/TO, etc. The successful players may have had a poor number here and there, but all scored efficiently enough, rebounded well and posted an ASB40 over 5.0. Compared to the rest of this group Barnes is an inefficient scorer, a poor rebounder, passer and defender. His 3.3 ASB40 is the lowest number on the list and shows he lacks the all-around game successful SFs have always had. His .469 2-point percentage is also the lowest on the list and suggests the only skill he has yet to flash, scoring, won’t translate that well to the next level.

The next question would be whether or not it would be worthwhile to gamble on his youth and potential. He’s a smart, coachable young man by all accounts. It is possible that the right situation and hard work could turn him into the star he was projected to be coming out of college. Right? Anything is possible, but I have my doubts on this also. The only players who overcame a sub-4 ASB40 as college sophomores to become NBA stars were Glen Rice, Xavier McDaniel, Detlef Schrempf and Chuck Person. All played college ball in the 80s and I have come to not trust 80s numbers when evaluating current players. I’ll add that all other than Schrempf were much more efficient scorers, McDaniel was a PF in college and Rice and Person made their mark because elite shooting skills. Players with a great outside shot are often the exception to my prospect rules. Barnes has yet to display much of a talent for shooting the lights out, so I wouldn’t lump him in with Rice or Person.

This piece on Harrison Barnes made me think of Roger Dorn, the prima donna 3[sup]rd[/sup] baseman from the movie Major League. Dorn was a fictional baseball player who never got his uniform dirty, because he didn’t want an injury to affect his next contract. Like Roger Dorn, Barnes looks at sports as a business opportunity. Now that’s actually a smart thing. Any person would be a fool not to use an opportunity like Barnes has to make a lot of money out of it. What Barnes doesn’t seem to get is the best way to cash on basketball talent is to have a long, productive NBA career. Back to Dorn, the other similarity he and Barnes share is eschewing the dirty work of their professions. Dorn didn’t dive for ground balls. Barnes has low rates of rebounds, steals and blocks and he rarely passes the ball to an open teammate. Any player who doesn’t do the little things in college is very unlikely to have a long NBA career and the riches that come with it.

Harrison Barnes looks like a player who will become an epic bust if drafted in the top 5 and a disappointment if drafted any time after that. He has played over 2200 minutes of college ball and he still hasn’t shown he can score efficiently enough or rebound, pass and defend well enough to become an effective NBA player. I might be willing to buy into his legendary potential and risk a draft choice around the time round 2 starts, but I would not draft him before that.

http://hoopsanalyst.com/blog/?p=864

BucEm... Tell me whats off about this accessment of Banes:

Limited Ball Handling & Passing Ability
Doesn't Create His Own Shot
Struggles Playing & Scoring Over Size
Little to No Post Game
Average Defender At Best

He's a spot up shooter who isn't really a great shooter

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Little to No Post Game
Average Defender At Best

So he's like Darius Miles, but with a jumper (hope I'm wrong though).

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Originally Posted by Seymore CAKE

Little to No Post Game
Average Defender At Best

So he's like Darius Miles, but with a jumper (hope I'm wrong though).

That would imply that he could handle the ball and create a shot... Because that's what made Darius special, however what deminished that was that he couldn't hit a shot after he created it.
laugh.gif

Darius Miles? Have you even seen Barnes play or just highlights?

Honestly I think Barnes has a better offensive game and pull up jumper than Deng. I think the Bulls are thinking that Deng's stock isn't going to get any higher, he's more of a real solid #3 option on a contender and he's put some mileage on his legs and been through injuries. He actually is putting off wrist surgery to play in the Olympics this summer as well...not really a good look. He's owed a bunch of money over the next few years and the Bulls can get a much younger version of him at half the cost, opening up their cap space to sign a starting two-guard. If I'm the Bobcats I'm sure as hell not trading the #2 pick in the draft for a 27 year old Luol Deng though. That would be the worst decision Jordan's ever made, and he's made some terrible ones.

The spelling first and foremost.

He's a good ballplayer, anyone with 2 eyes can see that. Did he live up to the hype that was put on him? Of course not, most rarely do. Hell, even Nationwide Nolan said he wasnt worthy of the #1 overall ranking.

Better than Deng? Why do people say stuff like this? You really think Barnes can score 35 in an NBA game right now?

Darius Miles had a jumper?

Now, I know I've made some outragoues sports-based claims, but I've never recognized D Miles as a shot creator
laugh.gif
. C'mon now, he was my favorite player 10 years ago. I've watched this man play alot.

He was a mean slasher though.

[table][tr][td][/td][td]
^ you joking right homie?
[/td][/tr][/table]

Does this:

Little to No Post Game
Average Defender At Best

Not sound Like D Miles?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

indifferent.gif

And 
laugh.gif

Well, the Wizards already have a non-shooting/scoring SF in Singleton. 
Complete different caliber of players. And I wouldn't say MKG isn't a non-scorer. He just isn't a shooter...the same way Gerald Wallace and Iguodala aren't known for being shooters.
EDIT - Holy %@%@ at that Wizards deal

Originally Posted by solarius49

Better than Deng? Why do people say stuff like this? You really think Barnes can score 35 in an NBA game right now?

no, but deng cant either.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by franchise3

Okafor and Ariza to Washington for Rashard Lewis and #46. Guy from DraftExpress tweeted this..
its an improvement in my eyes.  Lewis is officially on suicide watch.

Wow, they really did it.
Rashard Lewis' 23.8 million dollar contract can be bought out for 13.7 million before July 1st. Trade saves New Orleans around 30 million?
Assuming Robinson goes second, you have to assume the Wizards are taking Beal instead of MKG now, right?

Back
Top Bottom