Official 2010 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (92-70) NL West Division Champions!

Sanchez is all over the place.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by RaWeX05

Medders is trash.
Just watch the Giants score three runs and lose.

As for Sanchez, I'm fine with it. He pitched really well his previous starts and had a bad outing today. If it continues then I'd be worried and concerned.

[h1]http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wire.../byrnes_released_by_ms_after_bizarre_weekend/[/h1]
[h1]Byrnes Released By M's After Bizarre Weekend[/h1]

May 03, 2010 1:26 AM EST

Byrnes_Eric_ari.jpg
The Mariners released veteran outfielder Eric Byrnes Sunday night, just two days after a late-game gaffe and then bizarre exit from the clubhouse on a bicycle.

His release comes at a minimal cost to Seattle; the Diamondbacks are paying all but $400,000 of the $11M due in the final year of his $30M contract, according to an Associated Press report.

I still wouldn't be opposed to picking this guy up for the team.

DFA Bowker for all I care.

A vet? check
aging? check
worthless? check
a gamer? big +%%!$#$ check

Rowand will have to give that "gamer" crown to Byrnes if this goes down. Sign him up, Sabes!

There's nothing Velez does well. He can't steal bags, run the bases well, field, bunt, or hit well. Every game, there will be a head scratching move from Velez.

C'mon Zito! Vouch for your boy!

you guys cant be serious? I mean, damn, even I liked Byrnes a few years back when he was across the bay, but his fall from grace has been meteoric when he made the jump to AZ

Velez should be sent back, but at the very least this move would take away any chance of seeing if Downs will progress. I like dude's swing, and he seems to make very solid contact and has an approach at bat rarely seen by others. If/when Velez is sent down, with the eventual appearance of fragile freddy (whose resigning was applauded by many of you
indifferent.gif
), and Bochy's ineptitude to sit struggling vets like rent and de rosa, i'm worried he's going to get lost in the shuffle. You're going to have de rosa/rent/uribe/sanchez all vying in the infield...add Byrnes in the mix, and de rosa again, and possibly bowker (if he aint already in fresno) in the OF, he's going to get lost and rot on the bench.
I'm tired of clubhouse vets...I'd rather let someone like Downs get play whenever possible than sign another worhtless bum who will not pan out. We already got too many aurilia's on our team to sign another one

Originally Posted by EZLN1

you guys cant be serious? I mean, damn, even I liked Byrnes a few years back when he was across the bay, but his fall from grace has been meteoric when he made the jump to AZ

Velez should be sent back, but at the very least this move would take away any chance of seeing if Downs will progress. I like dude's swing, and he seems to make very solid contact and has an approach at bat rarely seen by others. If/when Velez is sent down, with the eventual appearance of fragile freddy (whose resigning was applauded by many of you
indifferent.gif
), and Bochy's ineptitude to sit struggling vets like rent and de rosa, i'm worried he's going to get lost in the shuffle. You're going to have de rosa/rent/uribe/sanchez all vying in the infield...add Byrnes in the mix, and de rosa again, and possibly bowker (if he aint already in fresno) in the OF, he's going to get lost and rot on the bench.
I'm tired of clubhouse vets...I'd rather let someone like Downs get play whenever possible than sign another worhtless bum who will not pan out. We already got too many aurilia's on our team to sign another one
Bottom line is that you cannot depend on Velez. Every game, Velez gives you a reason to scratch your head. Byrnes is better and cheap. Better base stealer, better baserunner, and better defensive player. What's there not to like? If he sucks, cut him.

You're worried about ABs being taken away from Downs? He's still behind Uribe and to be honest, he's still behind Sanchez (pending a Sanchez struggle out the gate). Byrnes shouldn't play a big part in Downs getting ABs taken away. DeRosa can play 2B, but he was signed to be our left fielder. It'd really shock me if DeRosa were to play more 2B than he already is now.

When I weigh the pros and cons, I'll take an upgrade a late inning defensive/baserunning replacement for some Matt Downs ABs (which I don't think will really be affected significantly).

You brought up Richie's name and year, Aurilia was a worthless vet. Having him wasn't an upgrade over anyone we had last year. Aurilia was not better than Uribe, Renteria, etc last year. But like I said before, at least there is an upgrade with signing Byrnes. Byrnes does things better than Velez. Can you really argue that Velez does those things I mentioned better than Byrnes? Because if you try to argue it, I'd really question your evaluation skills.

Isn't Torres our base-running replacement?

And I trust Torres' glove more than EB's - Mr. I have to dive for everything.

Velez's days should be numbered before he gets sent down because he is a walking out and a bonehead play waiting to happen. All dude has is speed...thats it literally! cant make contact, does not know how to catch a fly ball, take good routes to fly balls.

Once Freddy Sanchez comes back he should be sent down instead of Matt Downs. Downs has had solid at-bats since being called up.

Back
Top Bottom