OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by nicedudewithnicedreams

Originally Posted by Statis22

I don't want Kyle Lowry starting for my basketball team no more.
laugh.gif
tired.gif

Injuries have regressed him.

laugh.gif
In Morey in we trust. Not sure about re-signing Brooks tho.

North Carolina freshman Harrison Barnes debuted in our Top 100 in July as the clear No. 1 player in the 2011 NBA draft. In July, there wasn't really a close second.

Barnes was a dominant high school player. He averaged 26 ppg, 10 rpg and 3.6 spg as a senior. He shot 62 percent from the field and 43 percent from 3. He was ranked No. 1 by ESPNU. He won MVP awards at the McDonald's All-American Game, won two state championships and led his team to a 53-0 record in his last two seasons. On the day he committed to play for North Carolina, the press conference was nationally televised.

NBA scouts were crazy for him. They called him the most complete player to come out of high school in years. Even compared him to Kobe Bryant.

Seven games into his college career, Harrison Barnes is no longer on top of the world. His debut for North Carolina has been underwhelming to say the least.

Not only have the Tar Heels already lost three games, but Barnes is averaging just 11.3 ppg with a shooting percentage (34 percent form the field) that is downright ugly. Barnes has looked passive at times. He's struggled to create shots for himself. Anyone who didn't see him play in high school is asking the same question ... "What was all the hype about?"

Said one NBA GM who has scouted Barnes in person, "He's been unimpressive."

Tar Heels coach Roy Williams has been lashing out at the media, especially ESPN, for being so hard on the freshman. Williams understands that not every freshman, nor every No. 1 pick, comes out of the gate sizzling.

Derrick Rose, for example, didn't look like the No. 1 pick in early December either.

But there's no way to mask that Barnes hasn't lived up to expectations and his early play has created a bit of a crisis among NBA talent evaluators. If Barnes isn't the No. 1 pick ... who is?

I spoke with a number of NBA scouts and executives to get a better feel for what they were thinking. Most still stressed that they believe Barnes will eventually earn his rightful place atop our draft board and the majority still have him ranked No. 1 (as do we) for now. But if he continues to struggle, here's a look at four players they nominated to take his place:

Kyrie Irving, PG, Fr., Duke
Irving is coming off his best game of the season, a 31-point, six-rebound, four-assist showing against Michigan State. He's been terrific in virtually every game for the top-ranked Blue Devils and has wowed NBA scouts with his poise, floor vision, speed, shooting and leadership on the floor.

A number of NBA scouts and executives now have him ranked No. 1 on the boards.

"He doesn't play like a freshman," one NBA executive said. "He may not be the most explosive player on the planet -- he's not John Wall -- but Wall doesn't run a team the way this kid does, either. He's going to be great."

Said another NBA executive, "He was my choice for the No. 1 pick before the season began. I just think point guards like that don't come along very often."

Perry Jones, F, Fr., Baylor
Jones isn't having a breakout season yet, but he's quietly putting together a strong case for a spot at No. 1. On sheer physical talent and size, NBA scouts have always preferred him to anyone else in the freshman class. But his lack of strength and his ability to disappear for long stretches as a high school player have always given scouts pause.

So far Jones has shown well. He's averaging 13 ppg and 9 rpg and shown flashes of greatness. One NBA executive had him ranked as the top player in the class.

"He has all the tools for greatness," the executive said about ranking Jones No. 1. But even he wasn't firmly on the bandwagon. "But he's not a clear front-runner. More data is needed. I wouldn't want to make a decision now. It's still too cloudy."

Terrence Jones, F, Fr., Kentucky
Jones wasn't expected to be in this discussion so early. But his strong play for Kentucky has changed that. In his first six games he's averaging over 20 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 2.5 bpg, shooting 50 percent from the floor and 44 percent from 3. That's the definition of versatility.

Before the season, scouts were comparing him to the next Lamar Odom. But Jones is stronger and proving to be more impressive in the paint than he showed in high school.

"He's really impressed me," an NBA executive said. "I always thought he was a little soft. But he's playing as hard as I've ever seen him play and showing he can do it from anywhere on the floor. Who doesn't like a guy like that? Everyone talked about Barnes being the most complete player in the country ... I think Jones is."

He wasn't alone. Two of the NBA executives I spoke with had him ranked No. 1 on their boards and others say they might get on board if this keeps up all season.

Enes Kanter, C, ???
Kanter was ruled ineligible by the NCAA at the start of the season, and he's still waiting for them to rule on his appeal. Most of the NBA scouts I spoke with don't think he'll be playing college basketball this season.

But none of them seem deterred. Whatever happens, Kanter is a talented big man who showed scouts at the Nike Hoop Summit that he could play with anyone. Big men rise come draft time and one NBA GM had an interesting scenario:

"It's been a few years since we lacked a clear No. 1 pick. The last time it happened was the year Andrea Bargnani went No. 1. I wonder if history might repeat itself. If no one from college wows, you end up swinging for a guy with a bit more mystery and a lot of upside. That's Kanter."

North Carolina freshman Harrison Barnes debuted in our Top 100 in July as the clear No. 1 player in the 2011 NBA draft. In July, there wasn't really a close second.

Barnes was a dominant high school player. He averaged 26 ppg, 10 rpg and 3.6 spg as a senior. He shot 62 percent from the field and 43 percent from 3. He was ranked No. 1 by ESPNU. He won MVP awards at the McDonald's All-American Game, won two state championships and led his team to a 53-0 record in his last two seasons. On the day he committed to play for North Carolina, the press conference was nationally televised.

NBA scouts were crazy for him. They called him the most complete player to come out of high school in years. Even compared him to Kobe Bryant.

Seven games into his college career, Harrison Barnes is no longer on top of the world. His debut for North Carolina has been underwhelming to say the least.

Not only have the Tar Heels already lost three games, but Barnes is averaging just 11.3 ppg with a shooting percentage (34 percent form the field) that is downright ugly. Barnes has looked passive at times. He's struggled to create shots for himself. Anyone who didn't see him play in high school is asking the same question ... "What was all the hype about?"

Said one NBA GM who has scouted Barnes in person, "He's been unimpressive."

Tar Heels coach Roy Williams has been lashing out at the media, especially ESPN, for being so hard on the freshman. Williams understands that not every freshman, nor every No. 1 pick, comes out of the gate sizzling.

Derrick Rose, for example, didn't look like the No. 1 pick in early December either.

But there's no way to mask that Barnes hasn't lived up to expectations and his early play has created a bit of a crisis among NBA talent evaluators. If Barnes isn't the No. 1 pick ... who is?

I spoke with a number of NBA scouts and executives to get a better feel for what they were thinking. Most still stressed that they believe Barnes will eventually earn his rightful place atop our draft board and the majority still have him ranked No. 1 (as do we) for now. But if he continues to struggle, here's a look at four players they nominated to take his place:

Kyrie Irving, PG, Fr., Duke
Irving is coming off his best game of the season, a 31-point, six-rebound, four-assist showing against Michigan State. He's been terrific in virtually every game for the top-ranked Blue Devils and has wowed NBA scouts with his poise, floor vision, speed, shooting and leadership on the floor.

A number of NBA scouts and executives now have him ranked No. 1 on the boards.

"He doesn't play like a freshman," one NBA executive said. "He may not be the most explosive player on the planet -- he's not John Wall -- but Wall doesn't run a team the way this kid does, either. He's going to be great."

Said another NBA executive, "He was my choice for the No. 1 pick before the season began. I just think point guards like that don't come along very often."

Perry Jones, F, Fr., Baylor
Jones isn't having a breakout season yet, but he's quietly putting together a strong case for a spot at No. 1. On sheer physical talent and size, NBA scouts have always preferred him to anyone else in the freshman class. But his lack of strength and his ability to disappear for long stretches as a high school player have always given scouts pause.

So far Jones has shown well. He's averaging 13 ppg and 9 rpg and shown flashes of greatness. One NBA executive had him ranked as the top player in the class.

"He has all the tools for greatness," the executive said about ranking Jones No. 1. But even he wasn't firmly on the bandwagon. "But he's not a clear front-runner. More data is needed. I wouldn't want to make a decision now. It's still too cloudy."

Terrence Jones, F, Fr., Kentucky
Jones wasn't expected to be in this discussion so early. But his strong play for Kentucky has changed that. In his first six games he's averaging over 20 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 2.5 bpg, shooting 50 percent from the floor and 44 percent from 3. That's the definition of versatility.

Before the season, scouts were comparing him to the next Lamar Odom. But Jones is stronger and proving to be more impressive in the paint than he showed in high school.

"He's really impressed me," an NBA executive said. "I always thought he was a little soft. But he's playing as hard as I've ever seen him play and showing he can do it from anywhere on the floor. Who doesn't like a guy like that? Everyone talked about Barnes being the most complete player in the country ... I think Jones is."

He wasn't alone. Two of the NBA executives I spoke with had him ranked No. 1 on their boards and others say they might get on board if this keeps up all season.

Enes Kanter, C, ???
Kanter was ruled ineligible by the NCAA at the start of the season, and he's still waiting for them to rule on his appeal. Most of the NBA scouts I spoke with don't think he'll be playing college basketball this season.

But none of them seem deterred. Whatever happens, Kanter is a talented big man who showed scouts at the Nike Hoop Summit that he could play with anyone. Big men rise come draft time and one NBA GM had an interesting scenario:

"It's been a few years since we lacked a clear No. 1 pick. The last time it happened was the year Andrea Bargnani went No. 1. I wonder if history might repeat itself. If no one from college wows, you end up swinging for a guy with a bit more mystery and a lot of upside. That's Kanter."

laugh.gif
tired.gif

laugh.gif
Kyle played his little heart out against us like he was pissed we got rid of him. 
He's still not a starting PG though. One of the better backups in the league which is still good.

laugh.gif
tired.gif

laugh.gif
Kyle played his little heart out against us like he was pissed we got rid of him. 
He's still not a starting PG though. One of the better backups in the league which is still good.

Originally Posted by Verdykt

maaaan. %*%# dirk.
pimp.gif
!

We've now stopped the 5 game streak of both Boston and OKC, 7 game win-streak of the Jazz, 8-0 start by the Hornets, and 12-game streak by the Spurs.

It'd be fun if both Dallas and Orlando kept their win streaks alive until they played each other, 16 straight for the Mavs it would be, and 14 for the Magic.

Though Dallas has to face Utah again, go to Miami to play a game, and then our arch-nemesis Golden State we play on Tuesday.
laugh.gif

Orlando also has to play Utah IN Utah (
sick.gif
), Denver IN Denver, and ATL (although they don't have JJ).

It'd be fun to stop a couple more streaks before this is all said and done. It's exciting.
laugh.gif

maaaan. %*%# dirk.
pimp.gif
!

We've now stopped the 5 game streak of both Boston and OKC, 7 game win-streak of the Jazz, 8-0 start by the Hornets, and 12-game streak by the Spurs.

It'd be fun if both Dallas and Orlando kept their win streaks alive until they played each other, 16 straight for the Mavs it would be, and 14 for the Magic.

Though Dallas has to face Utah again, go to Miami to play a game, and then our arch-nemesis Golden State we play on Tuesday.
laugh.gif

sick.gif

It'd be fun to stop a couple more streaks before this is all said and done. It's exciting.
laugh.gif

Good lord..

Boston is shooting above 50% as a team.
30t6p3b.gif
Ray Allen is the only player averaging less than 50% (46%) that averages over 20 minutes.

That's a hell of an efficient team.
30t6p3b.gif

Good lord..

Boston is shooting above 50% as a team.
30t6p3b.gif
Ray Allen is the only player averaging less than 50% (46%) that averages over 20 minutes.

That's a hell of an efficient team.
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

maaaan. %*%# dirk.
pimp.gif
!

laugh.gif

sick.gif

laugh.gif

this been my avy for 2 weeks
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

maaaan. %*%# dirk.
pimp.gif
!

laugh.gif

sick.gif

laugh.gif

this been my avy for 2 weeks
laugh.gif

It's eerie to look at the leaders in 3-pointers made all-time.

Ray Ray is less than 100 away from Reggie. The scary part is how similar they are. They both have attempted around 6200-6400, and their 3PT FG% is a difference of .001 (favoring Ray Ray).
eek.gif

Jason Kidd may catch up to Peja if Peja doesn't start to pick up his volume, as Kidd is only 25 or so behind Peja. Peja will soon pass Ellis, he's only one behind, so that means soon we'll have Jason Kidd and Peja being 3/4. Shard isn't that far behind either, trailing Kidd by about 70. He'll definitely end up with more than both Kidd and Peja once it's all said and done.

Chauncey is a few steps behind Shard, but I don't think he'll keep pace. JET is 6 three's from surpassing the great Glen Rice. I'd love to see JET get up there with the likes of Dale Ellis.
pimp.gif

Steve Nash will jump over a lot of guys soon... Only 59 three's separate him from NVE, Hardaway, EJ, and Glen Rice. Paul Pierce is a little behind Nash, but Nash should keep that lead for as long as he's active.

Steve Nash leads all of the top 50, shooting 43% from beyond the arc. Only other players who have more than him who shoot above 40%? Glen Rice, Peja, and Dale Ellis. Though, Ray Allen, Reggie, and Shard are all borderline (39%).

Another thing, Kidd is about 60 steals away from the Glove, and 130 away from Michael Jordan. It'd be awesome if Kidd could get 2nd All-Time in both Assists AND steals, while being the 3rd or 4th best in 3 pointers made.
pimp.gif

In terms of points, Dirk sits 2 points behind Hal Greer, and just over 200 points behind the Legend, Larry Bird. Hopefully see him surpass 20th this year, Adrian Dantley, who has 23,177. Considering Dirk has 21,584, he should be close to him at the end of this season as long as he keeps up his average at about 25 PPG. I wonder how high he'll get. Top 15 would have him need to get 4600 more points, realistic? I hope so.
pimp.gif
If he can get to about where Kobe is now to finish his career I'll be VERY happy. I think it's possible since I don't see Dirk having a huge drop-off in the next 2-3 years. He hasn't shown any signs of weakness though he's logged TONS of minutes.

Speaking of Kobe, he's on the verge of surpassing Havlicek. Only 80 points behind him. And then it's another 250 or so until he passes Dominique to enter the top 10 in scoring, EVER.

Kobe's going to be jumping over a lot of people this year. It's realistic he still has about 1500 points left this year. That's about 25 PPG. That'll put him past Moses for SIXTH all-time. Now the real question is whether he'll catch up to Wilt or not. If he catches up to Wilt, he'll catch up to MJ. Though, I kind of doubt he'll reach Karl Malone. If he averages just 20 PPG for the next 3 years (after this season), he'll be right in the realm of Wilt and MJ.

If he does someday pass Jordan, that'll be DAMN historic.

It's eerie to look at the leaders in 3-pointers made all-time.

Ray Ray is less than 100 away from Reggie. The scary part is how similar they are. They both have attempted around 6200-6400, and their 3PT FG% is a difference of .001 (favoring Ray Ray).
eek.gif

Jason Kidd may catch up to Peja if Peja doesn't start to pick up his volume, as Kidd is only 25 or so behind Peja. Peja will soon pass Ellis, he's only one behind, so that means soon we'll have Jason Kidd and Peja being 3/4. Shard isn't that far behind either, trailing Kidd by about 70. He'll definitely end up with more than both Kidd and Peja once it's all said and done.

Chauncey is a few steps behind Shard, but I don't think he'll keep pace. JET is 6 three's from surpassing the great Glen Rice. I'd love to see JET get up there with the likes of Dale Ellis.
pimp.gif

Steve Nash will jump over a lot of guys soon... Only 59 three's separate him from NVE, Hardaway, EJ, and Glen Rice. Paul Pierce is a little behind Nash, but Nash should keep that lead for as long as he's active.

Steve Nash leads all of the top 50, shooting 43% from beyond the arc. Only other players who have more than him who shoot above 40%? Glen Rice, Peja, and Dale Ellis. Though, Ray Allen, Reggie, and Shard are all borderline (39%).

Another thing, Kidd is about 60 steals away from the Glove, and 130 away from Michael Jordan. It'd be awesome if Kidd could get 2nd All-Time in both Assists AND steals, while being the 3rd or 4th best in 3 pointers made.
pimp.gif

In terms of points, Dirk sits 2 points behind Hal Greer, and just over 200 points behind the Legend, Larry Bird. Hopefully see him surpass 20th this year, Adrian Dantley, who has 23,177. Considering Dirk has 21,584, he should be close to him at the end of this season as long as he keeps up his average at about 25 PPG. I wonder how high he'll get. Top 15 would have him need to get 4600 more points, realistic? I hope so.
pimp.gif
If he can get to about where Kobe is now to finish his career I'll be VERY happy. I think it's possible since I don't see Dirk having a huge drop-off in the next 2-3 years. He hasn't shown any signs of weakness though he's logged TONS of minutes.

Speaking of Kobe, he's on the verge of surpassing Havlicek. Only 80 points behind him. And then it's another 250 or so until he passes Dominique to enter the top 10 in scoring, EVER.

Kobe's going to be jumping over a lot of people this year. It's realistic he still has about 1500 points left this year. That's about 25 PPG. That'll put him past Moses for SIXTH all-time. Now the real question is whether he'll catch up to Wilt or not. If he catches up to Wilt, he'll catch up to MJ. Though, I kind of doubt he'll reach Karl Malone. If he averages just 20 PPG for the next 3 years (after this season), he'll be right in the realm of Wilt and MJ.

If he does someday pass Jordan, that'll be DAMN historic.

Back
Top Bottom