Official 2009 NY Jets ( 9-7 ) Season Thread. Jets vs Colts 1/24 . AFC Championship !!!!

WOO HOOO !!!!

laugh.gif

Rutgers' Westerman: Looks like he's made it

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - Jamaal Westerman isn't about to get complacent, not with his undrafted-free-agent status and impending roster cuts on the horizon.

The rookie from Rutgers, who's converting from his natural position as a defensive end to a hybrid linebacker who can play inside and outside, has been a standout since the Jets signed him May 1. He's had a great training camp, and Rex Ryan has been raving about his skills and ability to learn quickly.

Westerman essentially is guaranteed a spot on the 53-man roster that will be submitted to the league office by 4 p.m. Saturday, but you aren't about to hear him gloating. The 6-3, 255-pounder isn't ready to exhale yet.

"You are never comfortable because nothing is guaranteed here," he said yesterday. "Your next day is not guaranteed. You want to go out there and keep producing, keep getting better. You are never really comfortable until you are done and you say, 'Oh, I played 10 years in the league.' You are never really comfortable because there's always somebody out there looking to fight for your job and fight for your spot. I'm still fighting for a spot on this team."

With the starters expected to play only one series against the Eagles in Thursday's preseason finale at the Meadowlands, Westerman should have plenty of time to get his shine on. Not that he hasn't already proven himself in his coach's eyes. Said Ryan, "He's played himself on this football team."

Westerman has three tackles and a sack through the first three preseason games, but Ryan's excitement about what he's seeing out of him goes beyond the numbers. Despite lining up at nothing but defensive end in his four seasons in nearby Piscataway, where he played the final four games of his senior year with a torn left biceps and missed the Scarlet Knights' bowl game, he's making a smooth transition to linebacker.

The plan is to use him at inside as well as outside linebacker, and his grasp of the defense is almost unheard of for a rookie in his situation.

"He was impressive even on that last play when that guy had that big pass on us," Ryan said, referring to David Carr's 18-yard pass to Hakeem Nicks on fourth-and-24 from the Giants' 24-yard line. "He literally heard the call and he's trying to get our corner to play off and all that, like hey, he's playing - technical term - a quarter-flat technique. He knew that our corner had to be off, which says something because he's a rookie and he used to play with his hand in the dirt.

"That's what's impressive to me. So not only did he know his position, he also knew what the corner was supposed to do, and that's when you know a young man is getting it."

Westerman's linebacker education continues on a daily basis, and he leans on fellow linebackers Bart Scott, David Harris, Bryan Thomas and Calvin Pace for their veteran knowledge. He's learning how to read defenses and gauge what the offensive linemen are going to do when they come off the ball - two things that he didn't have to worry about as a defensive end.

Something else he won't have to worry about: cleaning out his locker later this week.

"Aw, man, a dream come true," Westerman said. "I know the season hasn't started yet. But just to put on the Jets' uniform and get the chance to go out here and compete with other guys who are playing in the NFL or trying to make it in the NFL has been a dream come true."

Notes & quotes: DE Mike DeVito suffered a left hamstring injury against the Giants and was held out of practice yesterday. He said he'll be ready to play in the season opener . . . Rookie RB Shonn Greene (ribs) returned to practice and hasn't been ruled out for Thursday.
http://www.newsday.com/sp...e-he-s-made-it-1.1412080

5440_838133102469_8819094_47844662_5331395_n.jpg

pimp.gif
My dude.

...and he didn't cost us $20 million
eyes.gif

Denver media outlets saying Harris + 3rd rounder for Marshall could be done as early as tomorrow, hmmmmmmm

3rd rounder seems a little much to me. I feel like we are overpaying considering there is 0 market for him right now.

dam , i like harris, seems like alot to give up.

they got us by the short and curlys though, they know we really need him.

I agree....I like David Harris ALOT, I dont know how I feel about giving him up in ANY deal for Marshall...

I realize Marshall is an incredible young talent, and a top WR in this league but he obviously has put himself in a bad situation, and comes with somebaggage...plus Harris is a young stud (pause) in his own right.

Harris AND a 3rd rounder? Too much imo...Harris and a 6th maybe....

*EDIT...had to emphasize MAYBE...Marshall as a talent in terms of an addition to our WR core? Great...but as a player/personality on our team? not so much.
I still dont know how I feel about him potentially bein on the squad...

this is crazy first you hear espn and major outlets saying something is brewing, but nothing out of the local medias, now Denver media is chirping while espnand nfl network say its dead ...... stay tuned I guess.

indifferent.gif

I'll resign my sig and be a pats fan for a year if this happens*.

*I won't be a pats fan, but the sig will vanish and I'll just be a Bengals fan or something. SMFH.
smh.gif

i'd rather just give up picks. but denver apparently wants someone who can contribute now, how bout reggie hodges ?

tongue.gif
laugh.gif

The more I think about it...

McDaniels gave up Cutler for Orton right?...So what the heck, Marshall for Clowney and a 4th rounder...Okay make it a 3rd...

(Im only 1/2 serious
laugh.gif
)

Originally Posted by onewearz

^ u shut up, u guys are 3 deep in every position
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

we're not built to shut down big play wr's tho...i liked it when ted ginn was the biggest threat at wr in the division...now we got TO and possiblymarshall

as long as u got brady to moss staying in the game should'nt be a real problem .........

I say do it and do it NOW ... we need A big time WR / playmaker to help out Sancheezy and neon leon
pimp.gif

I can't wait until the season starts. Watching rookies play & develop are one of my favorite things in the sports. Getting Brandon Marshall for Sanchezto throw to would be
pimp.gif
. However I don't know if he's worth whatever price Denver is asking for.

i just heard they also asked for leon washington as a plan B trade. i say HELL NO to that. not my man leon ......

Get this trade finalized and get Marshall somewhere other than Chicgo. I do not want to see a 25-year old Pro Bowl receiver on the Bears...

Originally Posted by JPZx

Get this trade finalized and get Marshall somewhere other than Chicgo Denver. I do not want to see a 25-year old Pro Bowl receiver on the Bears Broncos...

I like Harris too but he's expendable. With Westerman showing promise at all the LB spots and signing Scott we can get rid of Harris. Marshall is a muchgreater need right now.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

I like Harris too but he's expendable. With Westerman showing promise at all the LB spots and signing Scott we can get rid of Harris. Marshall is a much greater need right now.
smh.gif
smh.gif
Wow... Just wow.

You don't break up the best ILB duo (yeah, I'm saying it) for a troubled, albeit talented, WR.... unless, he's gonna put you over the hump for a SBrun and you have the depth.

We're not on a SB run. (as much as some people would like to believe we are, we're not.)

We don't have the depth. For all the hype I give Westerman, he hasn't REALLY translated that onto the field, yet. He's a project... hopefully a(very) short one.

Back
Top Bottom