OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

roll.gif
I know

The greatest thing about the Manny suspension is maybe slowly but surely the baseball writers who have their heads stuck so far up their %%%*! are starting torealize that maybe the fans actually don't care about steroids.

Then we have Plaschke, who is either single-handedly trying to save the Times by writing tabloid articles, or is just completely out of touch.

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

eek.gif
oh mannnnnnnnnnn comin' from someone who went to Norwack?
indifferent.gif

laugh.gif

The Norwalk females were almost as on point as Downey chicks though
smokin.gif
even tho i lived in bellfower, I shipped myself out to Los Alamitos for Highschool...

must have been nice reading about how good my football team was most of the time.
laugh.gif

good win last night.

i am really getting frustrated at ESPN for over hyping all this manny stuff.....altho i love him. NH

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/06/dodgers-want-pitching-content-to-keep-pierre.html[/h1]
[h1]Dodgers Want Pitching, Content To Keep Pierre[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [June 24 at 11:53am CST]

Bill Shaikin of the LA Times reports that Dodgers GM Ned Colletti doesn't yet know whether he'll be able to add a big contract this summer. He hasn't spoken with the McCourts about the team's ability to take on salary yet . Here are a few other points Colletti made:

• The Dodgers would like to acquire a starter or a reliever.
  • It's hard to anticipate which they'll go after since, as Colletti says, "It's not like you're going to a buffet."
  • The Dodgers aren't eager to trade Juan Pierre, as he provides depth and adds competition to the outfield mix.

DODGERS FYI

[h1]Costly acquisition via a trade is up in the air[/h1]

Jae C. Hong / Associated Press

Dodgers outfielder Juan Pierre hits a run-scoring single against the Angels on Sunday. Dodgers Manager Joe Torre said Pierre will be back on the bench once Manny Ramirez returns from his 50-game suspension.

Ned Colletti says he hasn't talked to the team's owners about whether the Dodgers can take on a big contract this summer.

By Bill Shaikin
June 24, 2009
Reporting from Chicago -- As the trade deadline approaches, General Manager Ned Colletti said Tuesday he has not had a definitive conversation with owners Frank and Jamie McCourt to determine whether the Dodgers can take on a big contract through a trade this summer.

The Dodgers' gate revenue has dropped this season. The team did not raise prices on tickets or parking, and attendance has dropped 6%, as compared to the same number of home games last season.

The Dodgers refused to take on a big contract last summer. They paid in prospects but not in cash to acquire Manny Ramirez, Casey Blake and Angel Berroa, and they picked up a $500,000 share of Greg Maddux's contract.

Colletti reiterated he hopes to acquire a pitcher, but whether that pitcher is a starter or reliever might be determined by what players other teams make available before the July 31 deadline.

"It's not like you're going to a buffet and you can pick up whatever you want," Colletti said.
He also said he is not eager to trade Juan Pierre, even with Ramirez returning. The Dodgers do not have another reserve outfielder with significant major league experience, and Colletti hinted that the presence of Pierre could spur Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp.

"For everybody that said we should have traded Juan Pierre last winter or at the start of the season," Colletti said, "where would we be without Juan Pierre now?

"I'd rather have more good players than positions. When competition comes into play, that's a positive. I don't see very much wrong with that."

No change for Ethier

Pierre has a higher slugging percentage than Ethier since Ramirez was suspended, but Manager Joe Torre said Pierre will return to the bench and Ethier will remain a starting outfielder when Ramirez returns next week.

"Ethier, to me, is still a threat up there," Torre said. "If he's flatter than a pancake, we'll do something, but I don't anticipate that, or want that to happen."

Pierre, a five-time National League singles leader, is batting .322 since Ramirez was suspended May 7, with 16 extra-base hits and a .415 slugging percentage.

Ethier was batting .317 with a .558 slugging percentage when Ramirez was suspended. He is batting .231 since then, with 14 extra-base hits and a .401 slugging percentage.

Torre said Ethier has put pressure on himself to produce in the absence of Ramirez.

"Ethier felt like he had to be that guy," Torre said. "He's battled himself, probably worse than anybody. He'd never admit it, but that's what I saw."

Pierre is slugging .423, which would be a career high. On Sunday, with Angels left fielder Juan Rivera playing rather shallow, Pierre doubled over Rivera's head.

"The thing that has caught everyone's attention is, he's got a little more pop," Torre said. "They can't just play the prevent defense."

Ethier is slugging .466.

Short hops

Rookie Mitch Jones got two hits as the designated hitter, and Torre said Jones might start at DH Thursday. . . . The Dodgers plan to activate Eric Milton from the disabled list to start Saturday, Torre said. Milton is 2-0 with a 2.89 earned-run average in four starts, none longer than 5 1/3 innings. . . . Torre said the Dodgers also would consider activating reliever Will Ohman when they return home this weekend.

[email protected]

Speaking of Jones, the pitching version of the longtime minor leaguer could be Giancarlo Alvarado. At a minimum, Alvarado needs to get a mention. The Dodgers signed Alvarado, 31, March 20 after he pitched for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic. Tonight, while the world was watching Manny Ramirez, he pitched seven innings of four-hit, no-walk, eight-strikeout ball at Albuquerque, lowering his ERA to 3.10.

He's bounced around in the minors since signing with the Pirates organization as a 17-year-old in 1995, but has now struck out 68 in 69 2/3 innings. He's just another guy who could provide some emergency innings if the Dodgers need them. That is, if the 47-24 Dodgers need them.

I'm glad Ned is trying to address some weaknesses that we have, we'll need depth as the season goes on.

Hope we can retain Pierre somehow, that leadership he brings is gonna play a HUGE part in this run ....

we really just need a reliever that we can count on....maybe a string lefty.
but the dodgers have these young guys who are gettin the job done now, but every time they come in you gotta hold your breath.

just hope they hold onto jaun, and pick up a reliever....

GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL USA!!!!! haha

YEAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

laugh.gif
i'm here, but there. Trying to conserve my 50post limit, sunday I hit that at 3pm
smh.gif
smh.gif

Been busy the last 20mins PMing people with links to the game

Originally Posted by jakecuevas

but the dodgers have these young guys who are gettin the job done now, but every time they come in you gotta hold your breath.

I'd much rather prefer a mid-backend starter because we've been plugging guys in every which way since the season started, then the excessguys we used to plug in can be added depth to the BP.

Originally Posted by brighter than you

Originally Posted by jakecuevas

I'd much rather prefer a mid-backend starter because we've been plugging guys in every which way since the season started, then the excess guys we used to plug in can be added depth to the BP.
good point but look what they have done this year so far....

if we get another strong reliever our starters can start fresh by not having to go one extra inning. as well as adding some confidence to our young startersand relievers.

but then again im a fan not the GM. just hope everything works out.....it seems to be fine now.

Milton & Stults have been on the DL.

JMac got sent back down to the minors, worked out kinks, he'll stay in the pen.

Weaver has added good spot starts but joe prefers him in the Pen.

Who am I missing?

Kinda need stability in that backend starting role, an established vet who's been there before.

That's just my opinion though
smile.gif

BN thats true about a VET......

kinda like rodgers with DET a couple years ago on that WS team.

how bout US lol

Juan Pierre, LF
Rafael Furcal, SS
Orlando Hudson, 2B
Casey Blake, 3B
Andre Ethier, RF
Mark Loretta, DH
James Loney, 1B
Russell Martin, C
Matt Kemp, CF

I'm kinda scratching my head on to why loretta is hitting 6th and kemp at 9th. I also would have liked Mitch Jones to get another start after his 2-hitgame last night.

^yeah I do
laugh.gif

My homie also uses it too. (If its dodger / laker related its usually me).

*also, i forget torre likes the bottom-top of the order to have speed which would xplain kemp still at 9th.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

^yeah I do
laugh.gif

My homie also uses it too. (If its dodger / laker related its usually me).

*also, i forget torre likes the bottom-top of the order to have speed which would xplain kemp still at 9th.
Oh okay cool, I thought so, I remember you mentioning the LA decal on your truck, but wasn't 100% sure.
laugh.gif

mark loretta tells me to shut the %!%! up and leave him hitting 6th.

Loney is getting some good pitches, just gotta get his timing right and get a hold of it.

ball 4
smokin.gif

bases loaded, long inning for floyd so far. make them pay matty

we'll take it
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

this defense has failed floyd
laugh.gif

[h1]Rosenthal On Lee
[/h1]
By Eddie Schmid [June 24 at 7:40pm CST]

Ol' reliable Ken Rosenthal has a new column up. Let's scope out the highlights:
  • The Dodgers have had discussions about Cliff Lee, but the price might be too steep for them to acquire him before the deadline. The Indians are said to want top-shelf talent along the lines of Tommy Hanson or Clay Buchholz.
  • The Dodgers have talent like that in Clayton Kershaw and Chad Billingsley, but they're untouchable. A package around James McDonald and Blake DeWitt wouldn't suffice.
[h1]Lee may cost too much for Dodgers[/h1]

The Dodgers like Cliff Lee. They have discussed him internally. But their chances of meeting the Indians' price for the ace left-hander are slim, according to major-league sources.

The only way the Indians will trade Lee, sources say, is if they are offered a potential top-of-the-rotation starter at the level of the Braves' Tommy Hanson or Red Sox's Clay Buchholz.

Such a pitcher would be the centerpiece of the Indians' multiplayer demand. And unless ownership orders a reduction in payroll, the Indians will not going to budge.

Lee, the 2008 American League Cy Young award winner, remains part of the Indians' plans not just for this season but also next year. The team, which lacks a suitable replacement, can retain him by exercising his $8 million club option.

The Dodgers engaged in serious talks with the Indians last summer for left-hander CC Sabathia and third baseman Casey Blake, then obtained Blake for minor-league catcher Carlos Santana and pitcher Jon Meloan.

They do not match up as well for Lee.

The Dodgers' best young starting pitchers, right-hander Chad Billingsley and lefty Clayton Kershaw, are part of the major-league rotation and all but untouchable. Their best pitching prospect, right-hander James McDonald, is not considered top-of-the-rotation material.

Thus, a package of say McDonald, third baseman Blake DeWitt and one or two other prospects would not be enough to satisfy the Indians. The Phillies have also asked about Lee, but balked at the price, sources say.

Teams will continue to covet Lee, who is 4-4 with a 2.20 ERA in his last 13 starts. The best guess is that he will not be traded, but the market currently is devoid of starting pitchers who are difference-makers.

In the end, the Indians might get what they want.

nerd.gif

[h1]Ohman to have MRI[/h1]
From Vincent Bonsignore of the Daily News:
...(Joe) Torre also said reliever Will Ohman was sent back to Los Angeles from a rehab assignment in Albuqurque after experiencing discomfort in his left elbow. Ohman was expected to pitch Tuesday and Wednesday in Triple-A before re-joining the Dodgers over the weekend off the disabled list. Obviously that is up in the air at this point. ...

Torre also said that Manny Ramirez will play for Inland Empire at Lake Elsinore Saturday

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Would be nice to get 50 Wins before 30 losses.

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom