OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

smh.gif
they just showed a guy wearing a angels jersey with a dodgers jacket.

Pretty cool special on that "Under the Lights" promotion.

Russ / Cey / Garvey were there (that's all the mentioned)

Looked pretty dope, I think I'm gonna go next year ... $500 though, who's down?

nerd.gif

anybody going to any of the A's game this week? i was
eek.gif
at some of thestubhub ticket prices. ill be going tomorrow
free parking+free tickets=
pimp.gif

IMO, not worth it.

They were the only ones there.

Right now, they are promoting the hell out of it, hence KCAL 9 airing that piece. Frankly, it has not been a successful event due to the price tag, and theeconomic times.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

IMO, not worth it.

They were the only ones there.

Right now, they are promoting the hell out of it, hence KCAL 9 airing that piece. Frankly, it has not been a successful event due to the price tag, and the economic times.

Yeah, there weren't that many people in the segment, saw a lot of fathers and son's though.

Why is it so damn expensive? Paying for the experience?
mad.gif

[h1]Dodgers first baseman James Loney is a cool customer[/h1]

47515018.jpg

Email Picture

Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times

Dodgers first baseman James Loney gets ready to celebrate after scoring the winning run against the Phillies earlier this month.

He has a unique personality that provides plenty of stories for teammates to tell but is also the guy they want to see at the plate in a clutch situation.

By Dylan Hernandez
June 16, 2009

Go around the Dodgers' locker room and ask someone to tell you a story about James Loney.

Eyes will brighten. A serious expression will turn into a smile.

"Every day there's something," Russell Martin says.

"He is who he is," Andre Ethier says.

"He's very left-handed," Randy Wolf says. "He's out there."
But not in a bad way.

Players and coaches are quick to say that when they laugh thinking about Loney, they do so out of affection for the 25-year-old first baseman.

They have trouble thinking of a way to describe Loney's one-in-a-clubhouse personality -- "Spacey?" Wolf offered -- but are certain that the unique wiring in his brain makes him the kind of player they want at the plate with the game on the line. They say he has the ability to forget a bad at-bat and block out thoughts of the magnitude of a particular situation.

"One at-bat, he'll look terrible and the next two he'll hit to the gaps with the bases loaded," third base coach Larry Bowa says.

Logan White, the Dodgers assistant general manager who selected Loney in the first round of the 2002 draft, said he has always known the former Texas prep star to be that way.

"I think he's the most unaffected guy I know," White says. "That's why when the bases are loaded, he's usually pretty successful. Here's a guy who doesn't let surroundings and what other people think bother him."

Loney's take: "I don't sweat the small stuff."

The more pressure-packed the situation, the better Loney seems to hit. He is batting .321 with the count full, .303 with runners in scoring position and .357 with the bases loaded. He led the Dodgers with 90 runs batted in last season, and he's leading the team this season in that category with 43 despite having only two home runs.

"He's dumb like a fox," Manager Joe Torre says. "He doesn't panic. He's not afraid. You're right; he does appear spacey at times. The thing I like about James, very rarely does the game speed up on him. He always seems to have a grasp on it."

Like when he went to the plate with the bases loaded in the ninth inning of a tie game against San Francisco in April. He ended the game by drawing a walk, his second bases-loaded walk of the game.

"He's a guy that doesn't seem to be worried about being embarrassed," Torre says. "Saying that is a compliment, because I think a lot of players today want it to look good. James wants it to be good."

The player who Torre says Loney reminds him of is Bernie Williams, the center fielder he managed in New York. As was the case with Williams, Torre says he's never quite sure of what Loney will do or say.

One day early in spring training, Torre instructed his starting infielders to go to one of the fields for practice.

When drills were about to start, Torre noticed he didn't have a first baseman. Loney had gone to the wrong field.

Later in camp, Loney was scheduled to remain at the Dodgers' complex instead of getting on a two-hour bus ride for a game in Tucson. As a joke, his teammates circled his name on the roster posted in the clubhouse, indicating to him that he was supposed to travel. But while the names of the other traveling players were circled with a ballpoint pen, Loney's was circled with a thick black marker.

A still unsuspecting Loney boarded the bus. He made it off in time; his bag didn't.

That was one of the few times his teammates recall seeing him upset.

Sometimes, traces of "Loney-ness" will appear in games.

Bowa recalls how there were times last season Loney dived to knock down balls that were headed right at the second baseman.

Loney's teammates talk about how his indecisiveness on some defensive plays -- break to the ball or to the bag? -- can result in awkward movements that make them chuckle.
"We joke that there should be a James Loney cam," Martin says. "Just on him, all the time."

"Crazy legs and crazy eyes," Wolf says. "He's like a baby giraffe."

That led to Loney being nicknamed "Geoffrey" after the Toys R Us mascot.

Loney is fine with that. If what he does gets people to smile and laugh, he says, great.

"I'd rather see people smile than frown," Loney says.

He wasn't always this way.

Loney says that growing up in Texas, he was the intense, rah-rah personality on his baseball teams. He did well in school. He went his own way, often choosing to hit in his backyard batting cage with his father instead of hanging out with his friends.

He has maintained that serious side, spending countless hours working on his hitting. He became a homeowner over the winter and is thinking about taking classes at UCLA to get the college education he passed on when he signed with the Dodgers out of high school.

But to have fun in baseball, Loney says, he thought he had to change.

"I've always been the focused person," Loney says. "When I got into professional baseball, I didn't want people to take me so seriously. So I try to be goofy, joke around. I didn't want to be labeled as the guy who was so focused. I'm still doing my work. I'm just playing around sometimes."

He says he is more self-conscious than he lets on but adds, "I'm not a worrier."

For his part, Loney doesn't think he's unique.

"I see some guys who do the same things at the same time every day," he says. "That's unique."

Loney acknowledges there are times he acts goofier than he is for the sake of lightening the mood.

Torre and Bowa don't doubt that, believing that Loney sometimes does things just to get a rise out of the ultra-intense Bowa.

"He plays you for a sap," Torre says. "When we're trying to get him to move, he'll pretend he's not looking at us. Bowa will be screaming.

"Then you see the smile and he'll just walk over."

Done telling the story, Torre shakes his head and laughs.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif
great Loney article although i'm a bit pissed...
"Crazy legs and crazy eyes," Wolf says. "He's like a baby giraffe."

That led to Loney being nicknamed "Geoffrey" after the Toys R Us mascot.
i've BEEN saying this
indifferent.gif

[h3]Dodgers call up Ellis, option Hoffmann[/h3]Another roster move expected to be made Tuesday [h4]Related Links[/h4]
By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

06/15/09 7:55 PM ET

LOS ANGELES -- The Dodgers did some roster juggling Monday, calling up catcher A.J. Ellis from Triple-A Albuquerque while sending outfielder Jamie Hoffmann back to Albuquerque. Infielder Blake DeWitt was optioned to Albuquerque following Sunday's game in Texas.

That leaves the club one player short of the 25-man limit and that move will be made before Tuesday's game.

It could mean the promotion of journeyman Minor League outfielder Mitch Jones, who would provide a right-handed power bat off the bench. Jones is not on the Major League 40-man roster, so his promotion would necessitate a corresponding move to make room. The 31-year-old Jones has never played in the Major Leagues, having been promoted once by the Yankees, but never entering a game.

The club apparently wants DeWitt and Hoffmann to continue their development while playing every day at Triple-A. Ellis would probably remain with the club until pitcher Eric Milton returns from the disabled list, which could happen as soon as Sunday.

DODGERS SIGN TAE-HYEOK NAM TO MINOR LEAGUE CONTRACT

LOS ANGELES - The 2008 National League West Division Champion Los Angeles Dodgers today announced the signing of 18-year-old Korean infielder Tae-hyeok Nam to a minor league contract. Nam becomes the first Korean high school player signed by the Dodgers. Assistant General Manager, Scouting Logan White made the announcement.

" Nam is strong physically with good power and well above average speed for his age," said White. "With the help of our player development staff, I'm confident that he will become a fine player."

The corner infielder stands 6'1" and 200 lbs. He currently plays at Jemulpo High School in Seoul , Korea and batted .314 with 22 homers and 43 RBI in 65 games this season.

"I've been watching him throughout his high school years and believe that his excellent work ethic will push him up to the big leagues," said Dodgers' scouting supervisor in Korea , Byung-Hwan An.

"I grew up watching Major League Baseball and the Los Angeles Dodgers are my favorite team", said Nam , who turned 18 in March. "I am very excited to be a Dodger and I can't wait to play in a Dodger uniform."
Dodger Sign Tae-hyeok Nam

eek.gif
smokin.gif
Dodgers shoring up the Koreans

Time to give Mr. Brito a call and tell him to work his magic south of the border almost 30 years later
pimp.gif

I wish we could get our hands on Gio Gallardo.

Good thing we didn't sign Oliver Perez, I know how you wanted a Mexican star cinco.

Dude I reallyy did, I'm a fan of his though since his Padre days-- I feel we need a presence who's a "representative" of the population as asort of figurehead: In a way Manny has filled that void. Decisions and opinions such as those are why i'm not in Colettis seat
laugh.gif

Gallardo though
smokin.gif

It feels so good to have baseball back on, I wonder if Nomar is playing?

A tad bit random, but I'm sure some of you use to watch Saved By The Bell, but this morning they played that episode where Zach skipped class to go to theMets vs Dodgers game and got caught up for it
laugh.gif
(I know someone remembers this)

Here's tonight's lineup:

Pierre, LF

Furcal, SS

Hudson, 2B

Blake, 3B

Loney, 1B

Kemp, CF

Ethier, RF

Martin, C

Kershaw, P

Tuesday, June 16, Dodger Stadium | 10:10 PM ET

Clayton Kershaw, LHP (3-5, 4.50)

ph_477132.jpg

Dallas Braden, LHP (5-5, 3.33)

ph_460284.jpg

Scouting Report:
DODGERS: Kershaw allowed three earned runs over 2 2/3 innings against the Padres on Wednesday. He walked four and allowed five hits, which forced him to throw 81 pitches in that outing. Kershaw will be making his career debut against the Athletics on Tuesday. In 11 career starts at gome, he is 3-2 with a 3.41 ERA over 60 2/3 innings.

ATHLETICS: Braden, 25 years old and in his first season as a full-fledged member of Oakland's starting rotation, put together his fifth consecutive quality start his last time out, giving up two runs on six hits and two walks while striking out four over seven innings against the visiting Twins. He hasn't lost since May 16, but thanks in part to poor run support, he's only 2-0 over that five-start span. He left with a 3-2 lead against Minnesota, but the bullpen gave up four runs in an eventual 6-3 loss, sticking Braden, who has gotten zero runs of backing three times this year and one run three times, with a no-decision. He has never faced the Dodgers.

Back
Top Bottom