OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

ugh finding out you and 562 (who is from my home town) arent lakers fans is a bummer..

Im from LA and support my LA teams..

USC, DODGERS, and no LAKERS? its LA man! support the City's teams!

haha.. oh well..

its time for the boys in blue to shine.. 17 games till manny returns.

laugh.gif
sorry dude, I just can't. It's in my blood, Laker fans are to the NBA what Yankee fans are to MLB, cocky arrogant and obnoxious. That and Ican't stand the NBA, if i'm watching any kind of basketball, as with football, it's college.

I hope you dudes have a few minutes to read
laugh.gif

DODGERS FYI
[h1]Juan Pierre's hot hitting will get him a seat on Dodgers bench[/h1]

47499196.jpg

Email Picture

Christine Cotter / Los Angeles Times

Dodgers outfielder Juan Pierre entered Sunday's game with the third-highest batting average in the majors at .348.

Although the veteran outfielder has hit .348 during Manny Ramirez's suspension, he'll be a reserve once the star slugger returns in early July.

By Dylan Hernandez
12:47 PM PDT, June 14, 2009
Reporting from Arlington, Texas -- In the lineup every game for the last five-plus weeks, Juan Pierre has finally made enough plate appearances to be counted among the league's batting leaders.

Pierre's .348 average entering the Dodgers' series finale in Texas today ranks second in the National League and third in the majors. David Wright of the New York Mets leads baseball with a .365 average.

But Pierre can expect to find himself back on the Dodgers' bench when Manny Ramirez returns to the lineup on July 3. Pierre became the starting left fielder when Ramirez was suspended for 50 games for violating baseball's drug policy.

"I don't see Juan's role really changing from what it was early in the year," Manager Joe Torre said, adding that Pierre would probably get a couple of starts a week.

Wolf still coughing

Concerned about a cough that he's had for about a month, Randy Wolf visited a physician when the Dodgers were home last week.

"He said I probably had bronchitis," Wolf said. "It's concerning. I'll probably get it checked again when we're home next week. I have to see what's going on."

Has it affected him during games?

"I cough a lot," Wolf said. "My abs have been getting a really good workout."

Wolf seemed unaffected Saturday night, as he tossed five scoreless innings in a start that was cut short by a delay in the game that lasted an hour and 41 minutes.

[h1]Hudson one of the bigger off-season signings[/h1]
[h2]by Joel Sherman, New York Post[/h2]

add this RSS blog email print

Updated: June 14, 2009, 9:26 PM EDT

Manny Ramirez represents one of the most fascinating free-agent signings in major league history. Because you legitimately could argue it was either one heck of a decision by the Dodgers to give him $45 million over two years last offseason, or a dreadful one.
On the positive side, he did help Los Angeles sell a bunch of tickets and much more than that considering the creation of Mannywood in the left-field seats at Dodger Stadium. Also, before his May 7 suspension, he was the best hitter on a team that sprinted out to a major league-best 21-8 record and a major league-high 61

[h1]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodgerthoughts/2009/06/ws.html[/h1]
[h1]Hope and perseverance[/h1]
As the Lakers closed in on their 15th NBA title this week, I thought about how close the Dodgers have come to a severe championship drought. If Rick Monday and Mike Scioscia don't hit big homers in the 1981 and 1988 National League playoffs, it's quite possible that we'd be looking at the 44th anniversary of the Dodgers' last World Series title. Los Angeles would be almost halfway to a Cubs-like futility.

For all the problems the Dodgers have had over the past 20 years, for all the distance from the years when the Dodgers made the World Series almost annually, I still consider it a proud franchise. But what I'm thinking about tonight is not just how long it's been since the Dodgers tasted victory champagne, but how fragile those tastes have been. It has been a struggle my entire lifetime.

No Dodger team since 1988 has been better positioned at this stage of the season than the current one. It's almost hard to digest. But it sure is a tantalizing feeling.

On the other hand, the idea that some people view a championship as a golden ticket to tip over cars and throw explosives at police officers (who are turned into adversaries of fans, even though they are fans themselves) is almost enough to make you root against a title. I mean, seriously, get a life, people. But I guess we'll try to rationalize that in October if it happens.

Off day Monday, and then the Dodgers and their fans will resume the hopeful struggle.

For the Non-Laker fans: IronMan, PMAC, 562 & MrJ - you gotta admit the Lakers have set the bar for championships in the city of Los Angeles.

It wouldn't be fair to discredit this team to get back to the promise land after last years dissapointment - this sort of sounds just like our Dodgers.

We got our @@* handed to us by the Phillies, and they should have the goal to get back there and win it all.

I seen IronMan all over the Laker threads making fun of the fans that weren't there all year, or those bandwagon fans, and I'm with you on that.We're gonna see a lot of new Dodger fans coming into this thread as the season goes on though
eyes.gif

Btw IronMan, how are things moving along with what you're planning
nerd.gif
jw

eek.gif
I don't even wanna think of how Dodger fans will celebrate after our20+ year drought.

Originally Posted by pdouly33

Troncoso on pace for 104 innings
sick.gif
sick.gif

Belisario on pace for 93 innings
sick.gif
sick.gif

Something has to give. Hopefully Wade can step up and regain Torre's confidence. I don't see any other way Torre stops using these guys so much.
sick.gif
word to scott proctor.now that has to be concerning for these guys futures.

I'm with the writer, seeing how obnoxious these "fans" are DOES make me hope these dudes drop the ball a little bit. Hell, since i've been ayoungin i've noticed that once a wave starts gaining momentum the dodgers give up an important hit to the other side or whiff at the dish; I rejoice andalways ask " wheres your wave now? don't stop now keep it going!" And to be honest, i'm glad the Dodgers miss that hit or give up that run,in hopes it humbles these stupid people in attendance. I truly truly hate the citys fans that it sickens me.

I can't even imagine what'd happen IF the Dodgers won. I don't even knowwhat I'D do and I consider myself a corteous fan of the team - but also of the game. I don't want to evenponder up what your stupid drunk thugged out cholo in a dodgers basketball jersey and his homeboy in a Mitchell and Ness Valenzuela jerseymight try to do. Apparently those are the Dodger fans, not you orme in the eyes of the rest of the league.

That and so many other reasons is why I don't get ahead of myself. I'm taking this season a day at a time, a game, an inning, an at bat at a time.It's a very long season, we're not even half way there. Who's to say we don't fizzle out in the summer like they did a few seasonsago?

I refuse to even TALK about this team if it's not about the current or upcoming game. The majority of us have NEVER seen a dodger squad playing this welli'm afraid i'll jinx them if I even acknowledge it. To be honest I don't even feel they're the best team, I don't feel this is legit --they aren't supposed to be playing like this, not my Dodgers. Ask me in late August, maybe, MAYBE i'll finally gain thecourage to speak on whether they're real or not, but i'm coddling this team as long as possible before I let it out.

Leave the arrogance, chest pumping, holier than thou mentality to the Yankees, Red Sox, CUBS, Lakers. Let the DodgersSHOW and PLAY like they deserve a little confidence, instead of acting like they do when in the grand scheme of things essentially they haven't done $*#%.

YET.

EDIT:

Go Lakers, Go dodgers...right?

2ajw4d5.jpg

i hate days off but the boys need it, anyways here are this weeks rankings.

[table][tr][td]2009 Power Rankings: June 15[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]RK (LW)[/td] [td]TEAM[/td] [td]REC[/td] [td]COMMENT[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]1 (1)[/td] [td]Dodgers[/td] [td]42-22[/td] [td]Juan Pierre, who is hitting .343, has already accumulated enough at-bats to appear among the NL hitting leaders (he's fourth).[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]2 (3)[/td] [td]Red Sox[/td] [td]38-25[/td] [td]The Red Sox, who lead the AL with a 21-8 home record, begin a six-game homestand Tuesday before leaving on a 10-day road trip.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]3 (4)[/td] [td]Phillies[/td] [td]36-25[/td] [td]Raul Ibanez rested Sunday after playing in 222 consecutive games.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]4 (2)[/td] [td]Yankees[/td] [td]36-27[/td] [td]Mark Teixeira is hitting .345 (46-for-133) with 15 homers and 38 RBIs in 32 games since A-Rod made his '09 debut on May 8.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]5 (6)[/td] [td]Rangers[/td] [td]35-27[/td] [td]Closer Frank Francisco was just placed on the DL for the second time and hasn't pitched since June 3.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]6 (5)[/td] [td]Brewers[/td] [td]34-29[/td] [td]After 18 perfect appearances, Trevor Hoffman allowed his first run and his first blown save on Sunday.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]7 (7)[/td] [td]Tigers[/td] [td]34-29[/td] [td]Armando Galarraga is 0-7 with a 7.45 ERA in his past nine starts, after starting the season 3-0 with a 1.85 ERA.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]8 (
glasses.gif
[/td] [td]Cardinals[/td] [td]34-30[/td] [td]The Cardinals have lost seven of their past 10 since June 5.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]9 (15)[/td] [td]Giants[/td] [td]34-28[/td] [td]The Giants are six games over .500 after winning nine of 12 games.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]10 (11)[/td] [td]Rays[/td] [td]34-31[/td] [td]The Rays are three games above .500 for the first time this season.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]11 (13)[/td] [td]Angels[/td] [td]32-29[/td] [td]Vladimir Guerrero has only one home run in 109 at-bats this year.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]12 (10)[/td] [td]Blue Jays[/td] [td]34-31[/td] [td]Vernon Wells has 137 at-bats without a HR and has only 41 in 1,266 at-bats since signing his $126 million contract.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]13 (9)[/td] [td]Mets[/td] [td]32-29[/td] [td]Johan Santana has allowed 20 runs in 22 innings over his past four outings, raising his ERA from 1.50 to 3.29.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]14 (16)[/td] [td]Twins[/td] [td]32-33[/td] [td]Joe Mauer (.414) has more than one hit in 19 of his 41 games this season.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]15 (12)[/td] [td]Cubs[/td] [td]30-30[/td] [td]Why did hitting coach Gerald Perry lose his job? The Cubs are last in the league in batting (.246) and runs scored (253).[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]16 (29)[/td] [td]Rockies[/td] [td]31-32[/td] [td]The Rockies are 13-4 since replacing Clint Hurdle with Jim Tracy as manager.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]17 (14)[/td] [td]Reds[/td] [td]31-31[/td] [td]Willy Taveras is hitless in his past 32 at-bats and is 1-for-37 since May 26.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]18 (17)[/td] [td]Braves[/td] [td]30-32[/td] [td]Chipper Jones (0-for-21 since June 9) has dropped his average from .335 to .298 during that stretch.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]19 (19)[/td] [td]Marlins[/td] [td]32-33[/td] [td]With a 13-8 record since May 24, the Marlins are approaching the .500 mark, which they haven't reached since May 13.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]20 (18)[/td] [td]Mariners[/td] [td]30-33[/td] [td]Ichiro Suzuki has 13 multihit games since May 23, raising his average from .310 to .360.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]21 (20)[/td] [td]White Sox[/td] [td]30-34[/td] [td]José Contreras is 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA, three hits allowed and 11 K's in 16 innings in two outings since his return from the minor leagues.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]22 (22)[/td] [td]Pirates[/td] [td]30-33[/td] [td]Pittsburgh has won eight of its past 11 home games.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]23 (27)[/td] [td]Indians[/td] [td]29-36[/td] [td]The Indians are showing signs of recovery, with 12 victories in their past 20 games.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]24 (21)[/td] [td]Athletics[/td] [td]27-35[/td] [td]The A's scored three runs in three games as the Giants swept them in the Bay Bridge series over the weekend.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]25 (26)[/td] [td]Astros[/td] [td]29-32[/td] [td]Miguel Tejada is third in the NL in batting (.344) and is the league leader in doubles (23).[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]26 (28)[/td] [td]Royals[/td] [td]28-34[/td] [td]The Royals are 10-22 since May 9, but they swept the Reds over the weekend.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]27 (23)[/td] [td]Padres[/td] [td]28-34[/td] [td]After they won 10 in a row from May 15-25, the Padres lost 10 of their next 15 games.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]28 (25)[/td] [td]Orioles[/td] [td]27-36[/td] [td]At minus-56, the Orioles have the worst run differential in the American League.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]29 (24)[/td] [td]Diamondbacks[/td] [td]27-37[/td] [td]Mark Reynolds has hit nine home runs with 28 RBIs in his past 27 games.[/td] [/tr][tr][td] [/td] [td]30 (30)[/td] [td]Nationals[/td] [td]16-45[/td] [td]Can Manny Acta survive? The Nats have lost 15 of 18 and 26 of their past 32 games.[/td] [/tr][/table]

I was raised as a Laker fan, cheered pretty hard for the 3 peat teams ...

I don't even really hate the Lakers, I definitely respect them as one of the great franchises in all of pro sports, and I think the aura around theirfranchise is as good as it gets. (all the HoF'ers and celebs courtside, etc.)

Over the past couple of years, basically after the 3 peat, until now, I just stopped openly cheering for the Lakers, mostly because I just don't like Kobe.I respect the hell out of him, and I don't really have any hate for him, I just don't ever get the urge to cheer for him after all his +##%.

I spend enough time worrying about the Dodgers, and Arizona basketball is my main basketball squad anyways. Definitely happy for Luke. 5 Cats with NBA rings
pimp.gif

I refuse to even TALK about this team if it's not about the current or upcoming game. The majority of us have NEVER seen a dodger squad playing this well i'm afraid i'll jinx them if I even acknowledge it. To be honest I don't even feel they're the best team, I don't feel this is legit -- they aren't supposed to be playing like this, not my Dodgers. Ask me in late August, maybe, MAYBE i'll finally gain the courage to speak on whether they're real or not, but i'm coddling this team as long as possible before I let it out.

Same way I feel in a lot of ways. So many people have beeing saying how it could be like 88 again. I just keep saying that the way the Dodgers wonin 88 was so improbable that there's no way it happens again. I mean, two teams in the same city going wire to wire for championships, way too storybook.
I can't even imagine what'd happen IF the Dodgers won. I don't even know what I'D do and I consider myself a corteous fan of the team - but also of the game. I don't want to even ponder up what your stupid drunk thugged out cholo in a dodgers basketball jersey and his homeboy in a Mitchell and Ness Valenzuela jersey might try to do. Apparently those are the Dodger fans, not you or me in the eyes of the rest of the league.
Honestly, it's not even worth worrying about. We can't control what other people do when they get all $#%++@ up. No point in wastingenergy thinking about it.

and I didn't get to say this yesterday, but:
o67by66a.jpg

Happy belated
pimp.gif

Kevin Goldstein from Baseball Prospectus on Devaris Gordon:
"Coming out of a slump, Gordon had six hits over the weekend including a pair of triples, and he's now batting .289/.354/.387. That line may not be overly impressive, but at the same time it could also be the most impressive line in the league, as it's hard to find a more raw talent on the circuit. An outstanding athlete with a body and tool set that remind some of a young Jimmy Rollins, Gordon is incredibly unrefined but still producing, and those who feel he's just beginning to scratch the surface of his abilities also think that it's hard to find a player in the Midwest League with as much upside."'

Gordon is easily my favorite Dodgers Prospect.

if the dodgers win the WS downtown LA would burn down
laugh.gif
the number of esethat was down there yesterday would triple

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

I'm with the writer, seeing how obnoxious these "fans" are DOES make me hope these dudes drop the ball a little bit. Hell, since i've been a youngin i've noticed that once a wave starts gaining momentum the dodgers give up an important hit to the other side or whiff at the dish; I rejoice and always ask " wheres your wave now? don't stop now keep it going!" And to be honest, i'm glad the Dodgers miss that hit or give up that run, in hopes it humbles these stupid people in attendance. I truly truly hate the citys fans that it sickens me.

I can't even imagine what'd happen IF the Dodgers won. I don't even know what I'D do and I consider myself a corteous fan of the team - but also of the game. I don't want to even ponder up what your stupid drunk thugged out cholo in a dodgers basketball jersey and his homeboy in a Mitchell and Ness Valenzuela jersey might try to do. Apparently those are the Dodger fans, not you or me in the eyes of the rest of the league.

That and so many other reasons is why I don't get ahead of myself. I'm taking this season a day at a time, a game, an inning, an at bat at a time. It's a very long season, we're not even half way there. Who's to say we don't fizzle out in the summer like they did a few seasons ago?

I refuse to even TALK about this team if it's not about the current or upcoming game. The majority of us have NEVER seen a dodger squad playing this well i'm afraid i'll jinx them if I even acknowledge it. To be honest I don't even feel they're the best team, I don't feel this is legit -- they aren't supposed to be playing like this, not my Dodgers. Ask me in late August, maybe, MAYBE i'll finally gain the courage to speak on whether they're real or not, but i'm coddling this team as long as possible before I let it out.

Leave the arrogance, chest pumping, holier than thou mentality to the Yankees, Red Sox, CUBS, Lakers. Let the Dodgers SHOW and PLAY like they deserve a little confidence, instead of acting like they do when in the grand scheme of things essentially they haven't done $*#%.

YET.

EDIT:

Go Lakers, Go dodgers...right?

2ajw4d5.jpg
that guy in the back throwing up gang signs with a dodger shirt on?

come on you know these arent fans.. they are hoodlums, out in the city, with that "mob mentality". EVERY city has them. People get drunk, assemble,get loud, and do stupid crap.. its been like that for ages.. its terrible, and stupid.. but its mobs and thats what mobs do.

I love LA... I love the Lakers because of history and greatness of the team. I dont concern myself with the bum ghetto fans. Showtime era, early 2000s, andnow Kobe and Pau time.. its amazing. Im not into NFL that much because I dont have a team to root for.. Im down for USC football and went to many a games as akid.

I dont do the wave, I enjoy the actual game, and just laugh off all the fake dodgers gear and ghetto-ness.. i have to with my top deck season seats..otherwisei would just get into trouble. Its LA. its a sport with many of latin players who get supported by latin fans. now we have another "fernando" typeof star on the team, and more latin fans are gonna come to games.

I want to see the dodgers go all the way, For ME. not for all those dumb ghetto kids. Im not gonna worry about what they do, as yeah, people think LA is ghettoand they riot and blah blah.. People are always gonna talk, say we have terrible fans, we leave in the 7th, blah...who cares. People found a way to hate onus.. and the way they have typically done it is with saying how bad the fans are..

I rip people to shreds when I hear that.. i point out their fans who just happen to be white, but do pretty much the same crap. like angels fans and theirinland empire mentality, where they all think they are in metal mulitia, and can mean mug anyone they want. (stupid rat infested stadium). didnt some guy bethis head bashed in on a curb and died in a fight this season?

its everywhere man. i just stay away from it, and dont care what other fans think.. its all stereotypes and crap. hoodlum mob mentality. i bet you if a dogfrom LA won "best in show" at a dog show, some people in downtown would burn something, and loot a pet store.

i kinda lost where i was going with this... but i think you get the idea of how i feel.

[h1]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodgerthoughts/2009/06/at-age-31-mitch-jones-to-make-mlb-debut.html[/h1]
[h1]At age 31, Mitch Jones to make MLB debut?[/h1]
Reconfiguring their bench on their off day, the Dodgers have announced that they are sending the seldom-used Blake DeWitt (who had three plate appearances in his latest callup and none since Wednesday) and Jamie Hoffmann (seven plate appearances in June) back to AAA Albuquerque.

In their place, the Dodgers called up catcher A.J. Ellis and ... no one else yet. But based on his hot performance of late and the fact that an outfield vacancy has been created, I'm wondering if 31-year-old outfielder Mitch Jones, who has 221 career minor league home runs but has never spent a day in the major is going to get the chance to fill the opening.

This season with AAA Albuquerque, Jones has 21 homers in 55 games, a .351 on-base percentage and .693 slugging percentage. Last week, he homered in all four games of a series against Oklahoma City. Jones has struck out 49 times this year -- 23 percent of his plate appearances -- which is actually a slight improvement on his career rate. He's not likely to change the world off the Dodger bench, but I can't say I wouldn't be pleased to see him have his moment.

BRING MITCH JONES UP TO THE BIGS!!!
smokin.gif

[h3]http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/n...ntent_id=5342358&vkey=pr_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la[/h3]
[h3]Bison Bobblehead Night[/h3]
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced that Matt Kemp will be depicted on the third and final bobblehead promotion of 2009. The first 50,000 fans in attendance on Wednesday, August 19, when the Dodgers take on the St. Louis Cardinals, will receive the Kemp bobblehead, compliments of Dodgers banking only at Bank of America.

No beisbol on a Monday = whack.

Spent my whole day in traffic.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

[h1]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodgerthoughts/2009/06/at-age-31-mitch-jones-to-make-mlb-debut.html[/h1]
[h1]At age 31, Mitch Jones to make MLB debut?[/h1]
Reconfiguring their bench on their off day, the Dodgers have announced that they are sending the seldom-used Blake DeWitt (who had three plate appearances in his latest callup and none since Wednesday) and Jamie Hoffmann (seven plate appearances in June) back to AAA Albuquerque.

In their place, the Dodgers called up catcher A.J. Ellis and ... no one else yet. But based on his hot performance of late and the fact that an outfield vacancy has been created, I'm wondering if 31-year-old outfielder Mitch Jones, who has 221 career minor league home runs but has never spent a day in the major is going to get the chance to fill the opening.

This season with AAA Albuquerque, Jones has 21 homers in 55 games, a .351 on-base percentage and .693 slugging percentage. Last week, he homered in all four games of a series against Oklahoma City. Jones has struck out 49 times this year -- 23 percent of his plate appearances -- which is actually a slight improvement on his career rate. He's not likely to change the world off the Dodger bench, but I can't say I wouldn't be pleased to see him have his moment.
BRING MITCH JONES UP TO THE BIGS!!!
smokin.gif

[h3]http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/n...ntent_id=5342358&vkey=pr_la&fext=.jsp&c_id=la[/h3]
[h3]Bison Bobblehead Night[/h3]
LOS ANGELES - The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced that Matt Kemp will be depicted on the third and final bobblehead promotion of 2009. The first 50,000 fans in attendance on Wednesday, August 19, when the Dodgers take on the St. Louis Cardinals, will receive the Kemp bobblehead, compliments of Dodgers banking only at Bank of America.

No beisbol on a Monday = whack.

Spent my whole day in traffic.

3 consecutive Monday's off this month. Ah, oh well, I get to go to sleep early tonight.

I was hoping they might have changed the bobble head to Andre Either, but there's nothing wrong with the Kemp one.

[h3]Dodgers Best Record Nets Zero All-Star Starters[/h3]
Even with the best record in baseball the Dodgers don't have anyone other then Orlando Hudson in the top five voting at any position. Hudson is 2nd, Manny is 6th, and Kemp is 13th.

At least we know the B & B boys will be going unless the NL is off their rocker when they build the pitching staff. Fairly certain Hudson will get the reserve call. Kemp has a shot considering we have the best record so four players is not out of the question but Russell Martin will not be going breaking his streak of two straight all-star appearances.

YOU GUYS WE NEED TO DO MORE VOTING!!!

KEMP / PIERRE / MANNY / ODOG / THE BEARD

GET THESE GUYS IN!!!

The allstar voting by the dodger faithful is atrocious

i'm 500 votes deep
smh.gif

[h3]McDonald strikes out 13 at Triple-A[/h3]Dodgers farmhand ties career high, breaks team record

By Brittany Ghiroli / Special to MLB.com

06/14/09 11:52 PM ET

James McDonald had a taste of life with the Los Angeles Dodgers and the 24-year-old remains focused on proving he belongs back in the Major Leagues.

Performances like Sunday night only strengthen his case, which is becoming more airtight with each start for the Albuquerque Isotopes.

McDonald tied a career high and set a franchise record with 13 strikeouts over seven scoreless innings Sunday as the Isotopes blanked the Round Rock Express, 4-0.

Using a mix of fastballs, curveballs and changeups, the 24-year-old right-hander consistently got ahead of hitters and made the most of a filthy repertoire. He gave up two hits, walked one and didn't allow a runner to get past second base.

And as each successive zero appeared on the scoreboard, McDonald stayed even-keeled.

"You just keep focused and keep making your pitches," he said. "[You] don't get lackadaisical with your pitches. You keep in the same mind-frame."

It's a philosophy that comes in handy, particularly when adjusting to pitching in Minor League cities, away from the bright lights of Dodger Stadium.

Selected by Los Angeles in the 11th round of the 2002 Draft, McDonald got his first call-up when rosters expanded last September. The California native did not allow a run in four Major League appearances, allowing five hits over six shutout innings.

This season, McDonald was 1-1 with a 6.75 ERA in 10 games, including four starts, with the Dodgers. But his high walk total -- 16 free passes over 18 2/3 innings -- diminished his effectiveness and McDonald was assigned to Albuquerque last month.

"[Adjusting mentally to the Minors] is a big, big thing," he said. "When you get sent down it's a little shock, but you've got to realize the only way to get back up is pitch well."

He got off to a rocky start in the Pacific Coast League, issuing 11 walks and not making it past the fifth inning in his first three games. McDonald, who said he has never struggled with wildness before this year, decided it was time to get back on track.

"When I got sent down, I kept doing the same things and walking guys," he said. "I had to realize [that] and refocus and tell myself to get back to where I was before."

And although McDonald shies away from striving to repeat performances, Sunday's dominant control was a big shot in the arm.

"It's something to build off of because I try to put a quality performance time in and time out," McDonald said.

[h3]Hudson needs help for All-Star start[/h3]Second baseman trails Utley; fans can write in for Pierre

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

06/15/09 12:29 PM ET

LOS ANGELES -- Second baseman Orlando Hudson remains the highest-ranked Dodger in All-Star Game voting as runner-up at his position, but with his chances flagging of catching popular Chase Utley from Philadelphia for the starting berth.

Some fans remain committed to a write-in campaign for Juan Pierre, who stepped in after the suspension of outfielder Manny Ramirez and has been as much a reason as any for the club's continued success this year. Pierre has started every game in left field since Ramirez was disciplined and has the highest batting average on the team.

But when names were submitted for the All-Star ballot this spring, Pierre was considered the Dodgers' fourth outfielder and the ballot allows for only three. The ballot does, however, allow for write-in votes, and Pierre fans can make their statement in that manner.

Fans can cast their votes for starters up to 25 times with the 2009 All-Star Game Sprint Online Ballot at MLB.com and all 30 club sites until July 2 at 8:59 p.m. PT.

Starting rosters will be announced during the 2009 All-Star Game Selection Show presented by Chevrolet on TBS on July 5. Baseball fans around the world will then be able to select the final player on each team via the 2009 All-Star Game Sprint Final Vote at MLB.com.

And the voting doesn't end there. Fans will have the opportunity to participate in the official voting for the Ted Williams Most Valuable Player Award presented by Chevrolet at the Midsummer Classic via the 2009 All-Star Game Sprint MVP Vote at MLB.com.

The 80th All-Star Game will be held at Busch Stadium in St. Louis on July 14 and televised nationally by FOX and around the world by Major League Baseball International. ESPN Radio will provide exclusive national radio play-by-play, while MLB.com will offer extensive online coverage.

Meanwhile, Hudson held his position for another week, trailing Utley at second base. He's had a 17-game hitting streak this year, and has already nearly matched his RBI total from last year while flashing defense worthy of a fourth Gold Glove.

Ramirez has received the most votes among Dodgers outfielders and is ranked sixth for the second week. Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier rank 13th and 14th, respectively, at the position.

[h3]Sarah's Take: Ethier becoming a star[/h3]Outfielder learning what it takes to succeed on his own

By Sarah D. Morris / Special to MLB.com

06/15/09 1:34 PM ET

Andre Ethier has had an up and down season for the Dodgers. Since he became a Dodger, he has played a vital role in the team's success. This year he has shown that he can be the Dodgers' next power hitter and a fantastic defensive outfielder.

Ethier became a Dodger after the 2005 season when the Dodgers traded Milton Bradley and the underachieving Antonio Perez to the Oakland Athletics. Though Ethier performed well in the Athletics' farm system, for some reason, he didn't rise through the Minor League system as quickly as he desired. In hindsight, Ned Colletti and Kim Ng made a magnificent trade for the Dodgers.

Though Ethier had a wonderful 2006 Spring Training, he didn't make the Opening Day roster. But by May, the Dodgers promoted Ethier. Since the beginning, Ethier was one of the Dodgers' best hitters. Before the All-Star break, he hit .352. He exhibited power, and he was a good defensive outfielder. I thought Ethier had the possibility of winning the Rookie of the Year.

In August, Ethier continued tearing up the league. Several times he had key hits that helped the Dodgers win important games as they sought a playoff berth. While making a diving catch, Ethier injured his shoulder, but the injury was undisclosed. Ethier attempted to play with it and his offensive statistics drastically declined. He was hurting the Dodgers' chances of going to the playoffs, so Grady Little had no choice but to sit Ethier on the bench. However, Little may have damaged Ethier's confidence when he called him "mentally tired."

Everyone involved in baseball knows the baseball season is exhausting both physically and mentally, but no one talks about it. When a manager calls a player "mentally tired," he is implying that the player is not strong enough to be a professional baseball player. To me, Little made inappropriate comments about Ethier that could have ended his career, but Ned Colletti didn't listen to Little. The Dodgers and Ethier should have admitted that Ethier had a shoulder injury and put him on the disabled list. If they had done that, Ethier might have been able to return for the playoffs.

After the 2006 season, the Dodgers suffered a shock. J.D. Drew, the team's offensive leader and good defensive right fielder, chose to leave the Dodgers for a more lucrative contract. Colletti didn't want to re-sign their center fielder, Kenny Lofton, whose range had diminished. Although the Dodgers had two young promising outfielders in Ethier and Matt Kemp who could have handled the absence of Drew, Colletti didn't trust the kids. The signing of Juan Pierre has benefited the Dodgers then and now. The signing of Luis Gonzalez just blocked the advancement of Kemp and Ethier.

Both Ethier and Kemp had an excellent Spring Training in 2007. With the new Dodger outfielders, there was no room for both Kemp and Ethier. Little decided to platoon Ethier and Kemp in right field. Earlier comments from Little indicated that he didn't have confidence in Ethier, so Kemp received most of the playing time in right field until he injured his shoulder.

In June, with the Dodgers leading the National League National League West, Colletti knew the Dodgers couldn't continue leading without more offense. He didn't see anyone that he wanted to trade for, so he wanted to play the youth. With two weak arms in the outfield, the opposition was running. Ethier had good offense in 2007, and he didn't anger the veterans. Ethier's strong arm slowed the opposition's running game.

Before the 2008 season, everyone knew that the Dodgers needed power, and everyone wanted Colletti to sign a proven power hitter. In that off-season, the power hitters available were outfielders. Colletti signed Andruw Jones to a two-year contract causing Ethier and Kemp to worry about their position.

When the 2008 Spring Training began, Ethier, along with other Dodgers, didn't know what to expect from Joe Torre. Everyone knew Torre was a successful manager with the New York Yankees, but he had gone on the record that he preferred to play experienced players. Since the Dodgers had Jones and Pierre, most people figured Ethier and Kemp would platoon in right field. Both had amazing Spring Trainings. Ethier led the Major Leagues in homers during Spring Training. Both Ethier and Kemp earned starting jobs.

Ethier had a satisfactory first half but nothing spectacular. When Manny Ramirez became a Dodger, Ethier exploded offensively. Unlike some players, Ethier attributed his new-found offensive performance skills to being able to hit in front of Ramirez. At the conclusion of the 2008 season, Ethier had the best Dodger batting average and led the team in home runs with 20.

During this year's Spring Training Ethier struggled and was frustrated by his lack of results. Torre had to reassure Ethier that he had an everyday outfield job regardless of what he did in Spring Training. When the regular season began, Ethier was ready to drive in runs. In the first month of the season, Ethier was the best Dodgers hitter. It seemed that when the Dodgers needed a hit, Ethier delivered. The second week of the season Ethier was the National League's Player of the Week. It looked like Ethier was going to his first All-Star Game.

Then, Ramirez was suspended for 50 games. I felt Ethier lost confidence in his ability, so he began to be challenged with every pitch. Instead of being a run-producer, Ethier was an automatic out. In May, he hit .211, and his defense suffered. No way, I thought, did he deserve to go to the All-Star Game.

Something happened in June, though. Ethier started to look like himself. During the last homestand, Ethier had two game-winning hits in the final inning. He displayed power with five homers. To me, Ethier has forgotten how Ramirez helped him to get better pitches to hit and is beginning to believe in his own ability. Everyone agrees Ethier is a pure hitter. If Ethier realizes how good he can be and believes in his ability, he will be a baseball superstar.

Sarah D. Morris is the editor of Sarah's Dodger Place. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

[h3]Inbox: Keys to the Dodgers' success[/h3]Beat reporter Ken Gurnick answers fans' questions
By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

06/15/09 4:19 PM ET

What are the biggest reasons for the Dodgers' success this year and what are the biggest disappointments they've had to overcome?
-- Michael A., Las Vegas

The positives: Orlando Hudson's remarkable comeback from wrist surgery, Juan Pierre turning into supersub, Chad Billingsley's continued evolution into staff ace, Jonathan Broxton silencing doubters that he could close, Ramon Troncoso's emergence as a reliable setup man, a balanced offense and a much improved bench. On the downside, they've overcome the 50-game loss of Manny Ramirez, the continued deterioration of Russell Martin's offense, Rafael Furcal's inability to regain his pre-surgery form, two months without Opening Day starter Hiroki Kuroda and the loss of setup man Hong-Chih Kuo.

Now that Pierre has produced in such a big way, what do you think the Dodgers will do with the four outfielders when Manny comes back? Are they looking to trade one of them for a starting pitcher at the Trade Deadline?
-- Vince H., Santa Barbara, Calif.

I think Joe Torre will do exactly what he said he'll do -- play all four of them. If Ramirez's suspension proved anything, it's that the Dodgers need Pierre. Trade an outfielder for a starting pitcher? The Dodgers don't need a starting pitcher badly enough to trade Matt Kemp or Andre Ethier to get one. If they deal for a pitcher at the Trade Deadline, they'll probably do it with prospects and young Major Leaguers, as they did last summer to get Ramirez and Casey Blake.

Is Clayton Kershaw another over-hyped Dodgers prospect?
-- Greg G., Studio City, Calif.

He's only 21 years old. Seven of the pitchers drafted in the first round of last week's Draft are already older than Kershaw. Kershaw has 171 2/3 Major League innings and he's still younger than Chad Billingsley was when he made his Major League debut. That was in 2006 and now, three years later, Billingsley has become one of the best starting pitchers in the league. If Kershaw stays healthy, he'll probably become the left-handed equivalent of Billingsley. But probably not at age 21. He's still learning, while being counted on by a first-place club. Four starts back he had a no-hitter through seven innings. Three starts before that he had a shutout through seven innings. In seven of his 12 starts, he's allowed fewer than three earned runs. If he can do that at his young age, imagine how good he might get.

Can you list the best acquisitions, worst acquisitions and the key players lost since Ned Colletti took over as general manager?
-- Jack L., Albany, Calif.

Best acquisitions: Manny Ramirez, Andre Ethier, Takashi Saito, Casey Blake, Rafael Furcal, Orlando Hudson, Juan Pierre, Hiroki Kuroda, Greg Maddux, Randy Wolf and Chan Ho Park.

Worst acquisitions: Jason Schmidt, Andruw Jones, Brett Tomko, Bill Mueller, Julio Lugo, Jae Seo, Esteban Loaiza, Danny Baez, Gary Bennett and Will Ohman (so far).

Biggest getaways: Derek Lowe, Jason Werth, Dioner Navarro, Edwin Jackson, Cody Ross, Willy Aybar, Carlos Santana (potentially) and Duaner Sanchez.

What does it mean when a team purchases the contract of a Minor League player?
-- Nate S., New Milford, Conn.

Back in the day before affiliations, independently owned Minor League teams employed (controlled) the players and when a MLB team wanted that player, it literally "purchased" his contract for a fee. The term is still used, but now the organizations already employ (control) the Minor League players, loan them to the Minor League team, and "purchasing" is just the "old-school" term meaning he's been added to the 40-man Major League roster, because the Major League club already controls his contract.

[h2]A's Off-Day Chat with True Blue LA[/h2]
08-_The_Author_tiny.jpg
by 67MARQUEZ on Jun 15, 2009 4:26 PM PDT
comment.v1599.png
2 comments

After suffering a sweep at the hands of the San Francisco Giants, the A's get the day off to ponder their next task: a three-game set with the Los Angeles Dodgers, who are coming off a successful weekend in which they took two of three from the Texas Rangers, and own the best record in all of baseball (42-22).

This is the first encounter between the two teams since the A's swept a home series in 2006. In fact, Oakland has won 10 of the last 12 meetings, and enjoys a 12-7 record overall against Los Angeles. However, they are only 3-5 at Dodger Stadium, having last played there on June 11, 2000, when Kevin Appier spun a complete-game, seven-hit shutout for the visitors. Eric Chavez and Miguel Tejada drove in two runs apiece in Oakland's 6-0 win (just in case anyone needed another reason to bemoan our current predicament on the left side of the infield).

Of course any mention of A's and the Dodgers is sure to conjure up conversations of a certain homerun, but I prefer to remember the 1974 World Series when the Mustache Gang captured its third straight title by beating LA in five games.

The 1974 World Series had a happier ending than the '88 Fall Classic.
star-divide.v5547.jpg

I had a chance to toss some questions at Eric Stephen of True Blue LA:

67M: With the Dodgers comfortably in front in the NL West, and with Manny due to return first week of July, is this team primed to make its first Series trip in 21 seasons?

ES: With the unpredictability of short series in the postseason, I never like to predict that far ahead, but the Dodgers are certainly set up for a run in the playoffs. Taking into account starting pitching, bullpen, offense, and defense, there is no better team in the National League. Depending on what moves are made at the July trading deadline, the Dodgers are as primed as anybody to make their first World Series trip since the Kirk Gibson-led club in 1988.

(He had to mention that name, didn't he?)

67M: What has Joe Torre's presence meant to the Dodgers? What impresses you most about him?

ES: Torre isn't a fiery guy, like Kirk Gibson was, but he seems to be a calming influence on the club. He never gets too high or too low, and the professionalism rubs off on the club. Torre can sometimes be maddening -- he batted Matt Kemp 9th on Saturday, for instance -- but for the most part he has played his best eight players all season.

67M: The Dodgers have struggled offensively of late. Often when you see a star player go down (or in this case, get suspended), his teammates tend to pick up the slack over a short period of time. But the longer the star player is out, the harder it becomes to maintain that kind of production. What are your thoughts on that, and do you think that has been the case with Manny being gone?

ES: I think that's a valid point. There have been points in the past few weeks when everyone is struggling offensively, and we think, "how in the hell do we still have the best record in baseball?" Andre Ethier was pressing in May, and struggled mightily (.211/.306/.295).

67M: Then again the Dodgers still rank high in nearly every offensive category (though home runs is not one of them), including second in batting and in runs scored. Who would you say has picked up the slack the most in Manny's absence?

ES: Casey Blake and Juan Pierre carried the club in May, while Andre Ethier and Matt Kemp have picked it up in June.

67M: One more Manny question: do you expect there to be any negative ramifications upon his return, from a team/chemistry standpoint?

ES: The team loves having Manny around, so I don't think there will be any negative ramifications when he comes back, other than perhaps having to deal with the media crush. Besides, any negative feeling should be offset by the positivity of having his bat back in the lineup.

Manny is a playful dude. If someone puts eye black in the ring of his hat, a la Jesse Orosco, I'm sure Manny would laugh it off, rather than blow up at the team like Kirk Gibson did in 1988.

(I am detecting a disturbing trend in Eric's responses.)

67M: Is Andre Ethier pretty much everything you've expected from him so far? Is he just beginning to scratch the surface?

ES: I think that surface was scratched last season. I can't see him performing much better than he did last season, but he should be a very good player for the next few years at least. Ethier in 2008 was the last left-handed hitting Dodger outfielder to hit 20 homers, post a .375 OBP, and have at least seven sacrifice flies since Kirk Gibson in 1988.

(OK, really?)

67M: Pitching is still the key to going far in October, and the Dodgers' collective ERA is tops in the National League. Chad Billingsley has been superb, and we're glad not to have to face him. What can we expect to see from Clayton Kershaw (Tuesday), Hiroki Kuroda (Wednesday), and Randy Wolf (Thursday)?

ES: Tuesday: You will see a fastball and a curveball from Kershaw, and little else. If he can get the curve over for a strike, you will be in trouble; otherwise, if you're patient enough, he will be out of the game after five innings

Wednesday: This will be Kuroda's fourth start since coming off the DL, so he's still getting back into the groove. Usually, Kuroda has excellent control, and you will see a steady diet of fastballs and sliders.

Thursday: Most likely you will see a Randy Wolf no-decision (he has 9 on the season in 14 starts), but while he's in the game you will see a lot of strikes, via both the fastball and curveball. Wolf had a bit of a HR spell recently (six HR over four starts), but he was brilliant on Saturday in Texas (five shutout innings before a two-hour delay thanks to a light malfunction).

67M: For A's fans there is a certain former Dodger whose name we are not allowed to mention. I'm pretty sure you know who that is (well, duh). Any Oakland player, past or present (ha) that falls into that category for Dodger fans? Or for that matter, any player from any team? Say, Jack Clark?

ES: I can't think of any particular Oakland player, past or present, that I absolutely hate. I do love Dennis Eckersley, however.

(Ouch.)

67M: Another name not high on our list is Rafael Furcal. Your take on the whole situation, where it looked like he might be headed to Oakland, and ultimately re-signed with the Dodgers?

ES: Two things:
1) He was much closer to becoming a Brave than becoming an Athletic.
2) You wish you were paying a shortstop, hitting .247/.313/.324, $30 million over three seasons?

(I was just trying to figure out a way to keep him from mentioning the Unmentionable One.)

67M: Looking toward the future, who are some of the big names in LA's farm system?

ES: Josh Lindblom impressed in spring training, and has done nothing to disappoint in Double A so far this season. Of all the prospects, he's the most likely to make an impact with the big club this season. Long term, pitchers Chris Withrow and Ethan Martin, and shortstop Dee Gordon have made big strides this year.

67M: And finally, not that I am ever one to dwell on the past (ahem), but if baseball had actually awarded home-field advantage to teams with the better record, you do realize that Game 1 of the 1988 Series would have been played in Oakland, right?

ES: The Dodgers got lucky in two respects that year; they also had home field advantage against the Mets, whom they beat in seven games (in the NLCS). If you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch my 1988 World Series DVD set.

Thanks, Eric. Tell your boys to go easy on us.

Dallas Braden makes his first inter-league start tomorrow; game time is 7:10PM.

[h2]National League West Draft Impressions[/h2]
carew_tiny.JPG
by John Sickels on Jun 13, 2009 8:00 AM EDT
comment.v1599.png
5 comments
Los Angeles: Supplemental first rounder Aaron Miller out of Baylor is an impressive two-way talent who will pitch as a pro due to his 90-94 MPH fastball, though he'll need refinement time. California OF-RHP Blake Smith is another two-way type who could succeed as a power hitting outfielder or a power-throwing pitcher, but will need development time either way. Second round Kansas HS RHP Garrett Gould has an excellent curve, a solid fastball, and additional projectability, a type the Dodgers have had good success developing. Third round choice Brett Wallach out of Orange Coast JC is projectable and has good bloodlines, being the son of a former major leaguer. Fourth round Loyola Marymount OF Angelo Songco and fifth round Oklahoma catcher J.T. Wise were both successful college hitters with power in their bats, and I think that Wise in particular is an underrated talent. Overall, this draft brings in power bats and power arms.

I've been voting, but one can only do so much. If every single Dodger fan voted their max 25 times online, and submitted as much votes as they can at thesatdium , the right players would be starting the game in July.

I have no idea why my cable provider took out angel games.

It says "if you're not seeing the angel game call your cable provider."

I was planning to watch the gnats vs angels too.

Heads up on KCAL 9: Dodger fans were able to take batting practice and such today, they're about to air it.

I'm jealous
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom