OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

That series with the A's sounds good with the free parking
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
me and a friend who's a A's fan were talkingabout driving to LA for tuesday's game and driving back to the bay after the game.

[h3]Dodgers will wait until No. 36 in Draft[/h3]Scouting chief confident club will get quality in sandwich round http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/shared/flash/video/flvplayer_v3.swfhttp://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/shared/flash/video/flvplayer_v3.swf

[img]http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/2009/06/02/mlbf_4829683_th_13.jpg[/img]

[img]http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/images/media/play_btn.png[/img]

2009 Draft: Dodgers Preview

Duration: 00:01:01

MLB.com takes a look at the Los Angeles Dodgers' Draft history and what their plans are this year

[h5]Video Tags[/h5]Los Angeles Dodgers, Draft 2009

[h4]Related Links[/h4]
By�Ken Gurnick�/�MLB.com

06/03/09 1:00 PM ET

The last time the Dodgers forfeited their first-round pick was 2005 and it was well spent, going as compensation for the signing of Derek Lowe. They didn't draft until overall pick No. 40, used it on Luke Hochevar, and, well, we won't even rehash that mess.

This year they again have no first-round pick, having handed it over to Arizona as compensation for the astute signing of Orlando Hudson, who has given them All-Star-caliber play.

[table][tr][td] [/td] [/tr][/table]
CLUB PREVIEWS
First round
��1 Washington Nationals
��2 Seattle Mariners
��3 San Diego Padres
��4 Pittsburgh Pirates
��5 Baltimore Orioles
��6 San Francisco Giants
��7 Atlanta Braves
��8 Cincinnati Reds
��9 Detroit Tigers
10 Washington Nationals
11 Colorado Rockies
12 Kansas City Royals
13 Oakland A's
14 Texas Rangers
15 Cleveland Indians
16 Arizona D-backs
17 Arizona D-backs
18 Florida Marlins
19 St. Louis Cardinals
20 Toronto Blue Jays
21 Houston Astros
22 Minnesota Twins
23 Chicago White Sox
24 Los Angeles Angels
25 Los Angeles Angels
26 Milwaukee Brewers
27 Seattle Mariners
28 Boston Red Sox
29 New York Yankees
30 Tampa Bay Rays
31 Chicago Cubs
32 Colorado Rockies

56 Los Angeles Dodgers
72 New York Mets
75 Philadelphia Phillies

MORE COVERAGE
Whole new world for Draft begins
Is Strasburg the one?
Strasburg, Network to shine on MLB.com
First-round questions
Follow Draft on Twitter

Celebrity selector Tom Lasorda won't take the Draft microphone until overall pick No. 36 this year and vice president of scouting Logan White promises there won't be anything like a replay of 2005.

In other words, signability is key.

MLB.com will offer live coverage and analysis of the entire First-Year Player Draft on June 9-11. MLB Network will broadcast the first round at 6 p.m. ET on June 9 from its Studio 42 in Secaucus, N.J., and those 32 selections also will be simulcast live on MLB.com.

Beginning with the 33rd pick, up-to-the-minute, on-air coverage from the remaining rounds will shift exclusively to MLB.com, where host Vinny Micucci will be joined by MLB.com Draft expert Jonathan Mayo and Major League Scouting Bureau director Frank Marcos.

Once the first night is done, the Draft will continue with rounds 4-30, via conference call from MLB headquarters in New York, at noon on June 10. Rounds 31-50 will be on June 11, starting at 11:30 a.m.

Here's a glance at what the Dodgers have in store as the First-Year Player Draft approaches:

In about 50 words
One good thing about not drafting in the first round is that the Dodgers didn't waste any scouting time on Stephen Strasberg, the San Diego State consensus first pick. White said after that name is gone, the rest of the first round and beyond should be an unpredictable scramble. "There's a good chance you get the same guy at 36 as you would at 20," he said. Because of that, White is not discouraged at picking low, but rather considers it the kind of challenge that suits his scouting department. When you find a Jonathan Broxton in the second round, or a Russell Martin in the 17th, as White has done, you think like that.

The scoop
White is a lot better talking about what he's done than what he's going to do, preferring to keep his targets under wraps. But he's always preferred high school players in general, pitchers in particular, and the more the better. Having been a pitcher whose arm blew out, White learned first-arm that you combat the inevitable attrition by accumulating inventory. In other words, you never have enough pitching, but he drafts like he's trying to.

First-round buzz
The Dodgers will be like the rest of us in the first round -- watching.

Shopping list
As White points out, with a balanced Major League roster and a relatively deep Minor League system, the Dodgers aren't this year (nor at any time other than the Hochever pick) looking for a quick fix. It's always been White's philosophy to draft the best player available -- as long as he's a pitcher. In seven drafts by White, the first player he's taken in the last six has been a pitcher. The only position player he took first was James Loney in 2002.

Trend watch
White forecasts more teams taking his approach and raiding the high school ranks, mainly because of the generally accepted analysis that this Draft lacks college impact hitters. The way the Dodgers look at it, they got a quality player from this Draft in Hudson and they are confident they can grab a high-ceiling player with their sandwich pick.

Recent top picks
2008: Ethan Martin tore knee cartilage in a post-Draft workout and didn't appear in a game last year, but he's more than caught up this year. The word White uses to describe the way he feels about Martin this year is "ecstatic" and holds to his Draft-day prediction that Martin can be a front-line starter along the lines of Chad Billingsley. He was scouted and signed by Lon Joyce, who must know what he's doing, having also found Jonathan Broxton.
2007: Chris Withrow had everybody in the organization nervous last year when he couldn't throw a strike to save his life. But whatever he had last year is gone this year. He recently had a start with 10 strikeouts and no walks, something unthinkable a year ago. He's still got some catching up to do, having pitched only 13 innings in his first two professional seasons and a current ERA above 5.00. But he throws even harder than Martin, which is why White says he can be "special."
2006: Clayton Kershaw is only 21 and he already has 32 Major League starts. No matter what the organization says, yes, he's been rushed. But if he isn't a Doc Gooden or Fernando Valenzuela phenom, he's got the aptitude and toughness to gradually improve personally while making regular starts for the best team in baseball. That's pretty good. And imagine what he'll be when he's actually ready.

Rising fast
This award was going to Travis Schlichting, but he moved so fast he's already reached the Major Leagues after converting himself from a third baseman to a relief pitcher in independent ball. Maybe next is starting pitcher Steven Johnson, son of former big leaguer pitcher Dave Johnson, who has been flying under the radar in four previous Minor League seasons but is looking like he might be figuring things out.

Cinderella story
Trayvon Robinson is starting to put it together at Single-A the way future Major League outfielders do. He was a 10th-round pick out of Crenshaw High School, the inner-city Los Angeles school that produced Darryl Strawberry, and he made strides after a solid 2008 season by going to Instructional League to work on defensive skills and better utilizing his running speed.

In The Show
Twelve active or disabled Dodgers are products of the June Draft -- Chad Billingsley, Jonathan Broxton, A.J. Ellis, Jamie Hoffmann, Matt Kemp, Clayton Kershaw, Brent Leach, James Loney, Russell Martin, Eric Stults, Cory Wade and Xavier Paul -- all taken since White was hired.

Originally Posted by sinser13

pimp.gif
laugh.gif
me and a friend who's a A's fan were talking about driving to LA for tuesday's game and driving back to the bay after the game.

That would be sweet! Road Trip.

But you seriously would drive back the same night?
eek.gif

[h2]Draft Day - Dodger Draft Thread[/h2]
100_1427_tiny.JPG
by Phil Gurnee on Jun 9, 2009 11:49 AM PDT in Draft
comment.v1599.png
3 comments

The Major League Draft kicks off today at 03:00 PCT but the Dodgers won't be involved for quite a while as they gave up their number one pick to sign Orlando Hudson and didn't get one back when the Braves signed D Lowe. The first few picks of the Dodgers will go like this thanks to SilverWidow:

#36 Supplemental 1st round pick (for Derek Lowe)
#56 Braves' 2nd round pick (for Lowe)
#65 Dodgers' 2nd round pick
#96 Dodgers' 3rd round pick

Here are some excellent links to whet your appetite for the draft.

Baseball Analysts are covering every aspect of the draft, not just the Dodgers.

Minor League Baseball has a review of the Logan White drafts, a little on the light side he doesn't look at what that player has accomplished but what the tendency's are for a Logan White draft.

Brendan found this review of prior Dodger drafts by Fangraphs

To really make you appreciate how much Logan White means to the organization I did a review of the 1999 - 2001 draft pre - Logan White back in Sept of 2007.

Also back in Sept of 2007 and it needs to be updated I did a review of the 2002/2003 drafts

The current Dodger roster has the following players drafted by Logan White

1st James Loney - 1st round, 2002, 19th pick, High School

2nd Blake DeWitt - 1st round, 2004, 28th pick, High School

C Russell Martin - 17th round, 2002, 511th pick, Chipola College

CF Matt Kemp - 6th round, 2003, 181st pick, High School

SP Chad Billingsley - 1st round, 2003, 24th pick, High School

SP Clayton Kershaw - 1st round, 2006, 7th Pick, High School

SP Eric Stults - 15th round, 2002, 451st pick, Bethel College

SP James McDonald - 11th round, 2002, 311rd pick, Golden West College

RP - Jonathan Broxton - 2nd round, 2002, 60th pick, High School

RP - Corey Wade - 10th round, 2004, 298th pick, Kentucky Wesleyan College

RP - Brent Leach - 6th round, 2005, 196th pick, University of Southern Mississippi, Delta State

Mr. White is a Genius.

pimp.gif

I was reading an article about a week ago about his picks and thought he had built like half of the ML team out of solely his picks. Good thing he didn'tleave for that GM spot he was being considered for (or is my memory wrong?).

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

I don't know if White has been interviewed for a GM job. Kim Ng has.

I believe a couple years ago he was in the running for the Astros GM gig.

I love the MLB draft.

I remember when i'd be in HS following it on my sidekick 9-12th grade, staying with the autorefresh . Catching whatever I missed on the replay on MLB.comat home
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

I love the MLB draft.

I remember when i'd be in HS following it on my sidekick 9-12th grade, staying with the autorefresh . Catching whatever I missed on the replay on MLB.com at home
laugh.gif
Me, not so much
embarassed.gif

I do get geeked for the NFL / NBA draft.

Lineup:

Pierre, LF

Hudson, 2B

Ethier, RF

Loney, 1B

Blake, 3B

Martin, C

Furcal, SS

Kemp, CF

Billingsley, P

Tuesday, June 9, Dodger Stadium | 10:10 PM ET

Chad Billingsley, RHP (7-3, 2.59)

ph_451532.jpg

Chris Young, RHP (4-4, 4.46)

ph_432934.jpg

Scouting Report:
DODGERS: Billingsley was impressive against the Diamondbacks on Wednesday, tossing six scoreless innings and striking out nine batters but he suffered from control problems as he walked four batters and threw 111 pitches through six innings. But it was still a solid effort and the bullpen did the rest as he picked up his first win in more than two weeks. Billingsley is 7-3 with a 2.44 ERA in 15 career outings against the Padres.

PADRES: Young didn't pitch poorly in his last start, allowing three runs in six innings in a loss to the Phillies on June 3. It's just that his offense didn't back him with much in the way of offense in a 5-1 loss. Case in point: The best contact of the night by the Padres might have come in the second inning when Young drove a ball deep to right field with two outs and the bases loaded that Greg Dobbs made a nice running catch on. Young did allow a two-run home run to Ryan Howard in the first inning but little else. He struck out three and walked three, down from the six-walk outing that he had on May 29 against the Rockies.

Of course it's different, you won't hear much about these kids for another 2-4.

I just like the back stories, seeing familiar last names and the bloodlines. Kids you read about locally and so on.

And, you dudes know me, I don't care for the NFL or NBA so this is what I pay attention to.

yea the draft is only exciting for the first 10 min.....

dodgers and lakers tonight!!

my friend is in todays draft....zach jones, Santa Teresa high school.

13-0 in the reg season
throws 91-94.....i would love it if the dodgers took him, he is projected for the 9th round, lol

i cant decide if i want to go the game tonight... i have missed the last four from being sick and from lakers game.. another lakers game tonight, what do i do?

Originally Posted by eyegiantjackpot

i cant decide if i want to go the game tonight... i have missed the last four from being sick and from lakers game.. another lakers game tonight, what do i do?
Sounds like you have season tickets, I probably wouldn't go.
tongue.gif

Just go tomorrow, free Cooler Bag.

Originally Posted by sinser13

pimp.gif
laugh.gif
me and a friend who's a A's fan were talking about driving to LA for tuesday's game and driving back to the bay after the game.

That would be sweet! Road Trip.

But you seriously would drive back the same night?
eek.gif
laugh.gif
i'm use to the drive

so who did we draft with our first pick?

[h3]Manny breaks silence on suspension[/h3]Dodgers outfielder looks forward: 'I'm ready to move on' [h4]Related Links[/h4]
By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

06/09/09 8:19 PM ET

LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers outfielder Manny Ramirez on Tuesday made his first public comments since being suspended on May 7 for violating Major League Baseball's drug policy.

During an unscheduled meeting with reporters prior to the Dodgers' game against the Padres, Ramirez declined to elaborate on his initial statement made after the 50-game suspension was handed down, offering no further details about what led to the suspension. He is eligible to return to the Dodgers on July 3.

"That's in the past," Ramirez said. "Whatever happened, that's in the past. I'm coming to play my game and move on. What happened, happened. I spoke to [owner] Frank McCourt, I apologized, I spoke to [manager] Joe Torre, my teammates and I'm ready to move on. I didn't kill nobody, I didn't rape nobody. That's it."

The 37-year-old Ramirez said in a statement when the suspension was issued that he was given a banned medication (human chorionic gonadotropin, a female fertility drug) by a doctor for a medical condition. Ramirez could have applied for a "therapeutic use exemption," but he did not.

Anti-doping experts said the absence of hCG in Ramirez's drug test, coupled with the 50-game suspension MLB handed down, indicated that the Dodgers outfielder used steroids, according to a report in the Los Angeles Times.

HCG -- not a steroid but a substance banned by MLB's drug policy -- was not found in his system. But a prescription for the drug was found in medical files that were turned over to MLB after Ramirez's drug test during Spring Training showed a synthetic testosterone level four times normal for an average male. Ramirez reportedly dropped an appeal because the prescription was conclusive evidence of a violation.

Ramirez would not address any of that. He said he continues his morning workouts, which included running the bases for the first time Tuesday.

"I'm just happy to be back and say hi to the guys," he said. "I come in the morning and I run, ran the bases today. It was good. When they go on the road I stay here and work out."

He said he will probably need a week of Minor League games to get game-fit, as is allowed by the terms of the suspension. Ramirez said he's been watching the Dodgers play since he's been out, sometimes called teammates afterward to offer batting tips, and he made special mention of Juan Pierre, who has played spectacularly in Ramirez's absence.

"They've been playing great. When I come back, maybe I'm Wally Pipp," he said, referring to the New York Yankees first baseman who missed a game and was permanently replaced by Hall of Famer Lou Gehrig.

Torre said he didn't know if the commotion surrounding Ramirez's return would prove to be a distraction for the rest of the club.

"I don't know the answer to that," Torre said. "Early on for a period of time, I think, obviously, when he spends a lot of time here it becomes less of a novelty. But the fact that we're really not home that much at this juncture because we're gone this weekend and we're gone next weekend and beyond that to Chicago."

Nonetheless, Torre said he was surprised to see Ramirez on Tuesday.

"I can't speak for everyone else, but he did [surprise] me," he said. "We had heard possibly he would show up last week, and he has been showing up, but not when we're here. I still think he's uneasy being around until he starts playing the game, that's what he wants to do, that's what makes him the most comfortable, and I think anything other than that is going to make him a little antsy."

Ramirez said he believes the fans will welcome him back.

"I'm happy they support me and love me here and they know I let them down, but I'll come back and make it up and move on," he said. "I'll just come and play every day and play hard and that's it. Fans say, 'Hey, we miss you, we're waiting for you to come back.' That's a good thing. I went to Miami, everywhere I go people are crazy with me, 'Don't worry about it, man. You go and do your thing and come back better than ever.' Everywhere I go. What can I do? They love me.

"It's going to be crazy [at home]. On the road, it'll be the same. They boo me anyway. I love it, man. When they boo you the most, you focus, and that's a good thing."

Ramirez said the hardest part of the suspension is simply missing the games.

"I'm not used to sitting for 50 games," he said. "When I come back, I'll be ready. Seems like 100 games. Just want to come and play the game. Just want to come and play. Need no more motivation. Like I say, sitting around at home for 50 games -- it's tough, you love the game. Something like this happens, makes you better, makes you stronger. I'll be fine when I come back."

MLB Draft is
pimp.gif

like 562 said, the stories behind the guys we have make it so great. Kemp and Blake Griffin grew up 10 minutes away from each other, Kershaw and Stafford,Loney being a pitcher and facing Chris Young.

Back
Top Bottom