OfficiaL '16 NYK offseason thread, Melo goes to bodega in bathrobe and Olympic hat

In the past few months, Who's been your favorite Melo? Multiple choice

• A. Olympic Melo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Civil Rights Activist Melo

• C. Brazilian hood Melo

• D. Ninja Turtle movie star Melo

• E. Old man annoyed by kids Melo

• F. Yankee/Mets fan Melo

• G. Met Gala Fashion show Melo

• Total voters
Hernangomez is coming over so that's like having a mid-late 1st rounder

would've been nice to have our lottery pick tho :frown:

might be the homer in me but i really don't think we're that far away from a playoff team

2 quality guards & a coach that knows what he's doing would do wonders for us

At least we're better off than the lakers lol

Not for long. Clarkson and Russell seem to be a nice duo. Randle is pretty adept at basketball as well, when he plays under control. If these boys get Ben Simmons or Buddy Hield?

might be the homer in me but i really don't think we're that far away from a playoff team

I admire your optimism. But I cannot be content with just being a playoff team. We went from winning 50+ games a few seasons ago to having one of the worst seasons in our franchises history. Now we're talking about being a playoff team? As with everything else in life, I expect excellence and I wouldn't be elated just to see us make the playoffs and lose to LeBron or Kyle Lowery.

We may be 2 guards and an adept coach away from making the playoffs, but we're far from a title contending team. Last time I checked, half the teams in the NBA make it to the playoffs. No big deal. Give me a buzz when that happens.

Last edited:
Jason Kidd is the main reason we won 50+ games imo. A PG who can play D, be a leaderr and can hit the 3 ball will put this team back on the right track. Kidd did all of that for us.

Mike Conley has to be our guy.

Last edited:
Jason Kidd is the main reason we won 50+ games imo. A PG who can play D, be a leaderr and can hit the 3 ball will put this team back on the right track. Kidd did all of that for us.

Mike Conley has to be our guy.
On paper love Conley but the price and his health worry me.

Gotta take it step by step. No one goes from lottery team to title contender in 2 years. When Phil got here we had basically no players with trade value & 1 draft pick; pretty much rockbottom. We're on our way up but still have a ways to go before 'Knicks' & 'title contender' could even be said in the same sentence.

We have our frontcourt & a couple bench players to build around plus ~$20M to spend on free agents this summer (preferably guards). If we could get a 5-8 seed next season i'd be happy with the improvement.

Gotta take it step by step. No one goes from lottery team to title contender in 2 years. When Phil got here we had basically no players with trade value & 1 draft pick; pretty much rockbottom. We're on our way up but still have a ways to go before 'Knicks' & 'title contender' could even be said in the same sentence.

We have our frontcourt & a couple bench players to build around plus ~$20M to spend on free agents this summer (preferably guards). If we could get a 5-8 seed next season i'd be happy with the improvement.

I agree and it doesnt take much to go from a 5-8 to a top 4 look at atlanta, toronto and boston. The east is wide open just gotta get past bron bron.

^ Besides drafting KP phil hasnt done much for this team... we actually got worse since he got here... and a scout of the Knicks found KP and encouraged him to draft KP... other than that a lot of bad moves... the tyson for jose trade was bad, giving up jr and shump for peanuts and then hiring fisher and then rambis who cant coach a team period...we picked up affalo this summer who sucks but minuswell of kept jr instead... the triangle sucks for this team and made us worse... only 2 ways the triangle works we need more superstars like phil had in Chicago and in LA or phil needs to coach this team... this team can win without the triangle and without star power look at atlanta and boston... but we need a competent coach and a reliable pg first to make that work

His plan was built on blowing the team up so it shouldn't be a surprise we got worse. And if we don't get worse we don't get KP. I have no complaints with Phil for now. This is the offseason e has to make this team better. Getting Grant, Galloway, Pookie, KP, DWill and RoLo without losing anything of value is a good start to rebuilding the team. Just need guards who can get us to the next level now. And a legit coach.

Last edited:
I'm not expecting playoffs until Phil's 4th year. We're not far off from being contenders though. Look how long it took GS to rebuild and how it's benefit them

I don't think this organization will EVER go anywhere special until Dolan steps down...

Or until the organization learns patience. From a rebuilding standpoint, it's been a success. We've gotten better from last season. Now we have to make more moves to improve even more next season.

We're at LEAST 1 year away :rofl: I was hoping for an 8 seed this year at least, Just to stick it to Toronto if nothing else..

true. dolan has seemed to have kept his word and let phil do his job.

my only qualms with phil are that we couldve gotten much more out of the shump/jr trade, dwill shouldve been signed to a similar contract as oquinn, and his coaching choices couldve been better.

the cavs gave up 2 first rounders for mozgov, we couldve gotten one for shump and jr. dwill performed better than i expected and he has player option vs a team option. hes most likely gonna opt out and we're either gonna have to pay up to keep him or he's going somewhere else. we might lose pookie too, bc i think hes a FA with no restriction. also, i knew phil was gonna hire one of his cronies from the get go, but him pressuring the use of the triangle is frustrating. i'm going to be livid if he keeps rambis after this disappointing season.

im not saying we were a playoff lock, but tbh we could have made it. there were about 10 or so games where we were just out coached and if we wouldve won even half of those, we would be in the playoff hunt.

Where do y'all keep getting the notion that we could've gotten so much for Shump & JR? Their stocks were trash when they were in NY

Where do y'all keep getting the notion that we could've gotten so much for Shump & JR? Their stocks were trash when they were in NY

I agree. When Phil made the trade, their values were at an all-time low. It's no coincidence they started to "look a lot better" once they played with LeBron. I can name 3-4 players off the top of my head that looked like All-Stars playing alongside LeBron, but once he (LeBron) left the team, they started to struggle.

• Mo Williams
  • Boobie Gibson
  • Delonte West
  • Mario Chalmers
  • J.J Hickson

The list goes on and on :lol:

get out of here with that patience stuff... ive been watching this team during the isiah and layden years so ive seen how bad this team could be and last year wasnt so bad since we got KP... i just think phil is not living up to expectations and that hefty contract even though its not on the books... he made a good foundation in rolo, kp, grant and dwill if we can keep him but the rest can go except melo of course...i honestly dont see this team getting that much better... 2 of our biggest needs phil fails to address which is a top 15 pg and a good coach who doesnt run the triangle... he is so stuck in his ways its holding this team back... i dont see any superstar player signing with us... our only hope is the draft when we dont even own a pick..but hopefully our 2nd round pick from last year works out for us

get out of here with that patience stuff... ive been watching this team during the isiah and layden years so ive seen how bad this team could be and last year wasnt so bad since we got KP... i just think phil is not living up to expectations and that hefty contract even though its not on the books... he made a good foundation in rolo, kp, grant and dwill if we can keep him but the rest can go except melo of course...i honestly dont see this team getting that much better... 2 of our biggest needs phil fails to address which is a top 15 pg and a good coach who doesnt run the triangle... he is so stuck in his ways its holding this team back... i dont see any superstar player signing with us... our only hope is the draft when we dont even own a pick..but hopefully our 2nd round pick from last year works out for us

Phil'a contract is irrelevant. Idk what expectations you had. But they were unrealistic. This team has literally never patiently rebuilt. So to compare it to other times is irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom