OfficiaL '16 NYK offseason thread, Melo goes to bodega in bathrobe and Olympic hat

In the past few months, Who's been your favorite Melo? Multiple choice

• A. Olympic Melo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Civil Rights Activist Melo

• C. Brazilian hood Melo

• D. Ninja Turtle movie star Melo

• E. Old man annoyed by kids Melo

• F. Yankee/Mets fan Melo

• G. Met Gala Fashion show Melo

• Total voters
I can't let the pity party end without chipping in my favorite Knick memories. Watched this with my dad at his friends house. All I remember was yelling followed by deafening silence.

Reggie the gawd

And I'll just never be able to shake this particular game for whatever reason. I was in the worst mood. :lol:

A Martin Luther King day matinee quickly turned into a horror show as the reeling Knicks suffered the worst home loss in franchise history, a 111-68 beating at the hands of the Charlotte Hornets.

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=220121018

Last edited:
i think i'd rather win 17 games every year than come so close to a championship but never win one

my worst knicks memory was still game 7 against the rockets with starks going 2-18... and to think we were up in the series 3-2 :smh:

from reddit, a great write up on potential head coach candidate Ettore Messina:

Since a head coach is top priority for us this offseason (and we're all hoping that Phil isn't senile enough to stick with Rambis) thought it would be good to do a quick writeup of one of the more intriguing head coaching options out there. Only a handful of people here have been mentioning him but current Spurs Assistant coach Ettore Messina might be one of the best fits for us.

Who is Ettore Messina? Messina is one of the most highly respected European coaches in the past two decades. He led the Italian team Virtus Bologna to four Italian league championships (in 9 seasons as coach) and two Euroleague championships. One of those Euroleague championship teams happened to have this guy named Manu Ginobli on it.

In 2005, he became head coach of CSKA Moscow, owned by current Nets owner, the crazy Russian Mikhail Prokhorov. This is the team where Messina made his mark--4 straight trips to the Euroleague finals, two of which ended in two championships. Messina has been a coach for 25+ years.

NBA Experience: Messina first got his shot in the NBA as assistant coach for the 2011 Lakers under Mike Brown so he could learn more about the NBA style of play. But after 1 season, he went back to coach CSKA Moscow and returned to the Euroleague semi-finals where they lost by 1 point to David Blatt's Macabi Tel-Aviv team. He then returned to the NBA as assistant coach of the Spurs under Pop where he has been ever since. The Spurs have been installing some of his principles in their offense.

Offensive System: Messina could fit into Phil's triangle principles because his offense is all about ball movement and playing through the post. Here is a blog post Messina wrote about his team's system of basketball while at CSKA Moscow in 2008-2009. For those of you who don't want to be read the whole thing, here are some bullet points:

• The offense isn't necessarily about set plays or playing freely; it's about reading how the defense reacts.

"Our players must be able to read the defensive behavior of their opponents. Any offense can be original, but if the player on offense is not able to understand what the defense does, he loses effectiveness and our offense slows down. "

• Very big on transition offense:

"Our team has to move like a wave, where our players run at medium-high speed, occupying our offensive spots and trying to get any advantage they can before the defense is set."

• His offense likes to play through the post (especially early in the game). This doesn't necessarily mean that he is all about low post scoring though, although he likes his teams to average 20 shots per game from the post. Similar to the triangle, a post presence is key to balance on offense. Getting the ball into the low post gets opposing big men into early foul trouble and opens up penetration as opposing big men have to get taken out of the game because of foul woes.

• Attack the opposing team's best scorers. Also leads to foul trouble and makes them work hard on defense, which often tires them out on offense.

*Likes to reverse the floor or play inside out to get the defense moving. Making the defense move constantly opens up gaps which allows for players to cut and make passes inside or penetrate.

Defense: Messina's teams were known as very good defensive teams in Europe, but it's a bit hard to extrapolate that to the NBA level because of differences in defensive rules. I don't know TOO much about his defensive principles to be honest.

Does Euroleague success translate to NBA success? Not necessarily. One of the only other successful Euroleague coaches to be a head coach in the NBA was David Blatt. Granted, he got to the NBA Finals in his first year, but the team didn't really run the Princeton offense, which was his calling card and having LeBron on your team obviously greatly helps your chances of getting to the Finals.

The difference with Messina is that he was willing to be an assistant coach in the NBA and learn the ins-and-outs of the NBA before diving head first into a head coaching position. And learning from Pop is the best possible experience someone can get. Some people think that Pop has been grooming him to become his successor.

Another benefit is that Messina is still close with euro teams/management. I know we have Gaines, but this also helps us with scouting outside of the NCAA. Messina was very familiar with KP before the draft since he knows Scott Roth, Sevilla's former head coach.

How does he fit with the Knicks current roster? We know that Messina loves KP--he was coach of the international team at the All Star game this year. Interestingly, Messina said that he would like to see the Knicks develop KP's outside game instead of trying to make him a traditional back-to-the-basket center. He even mentioned that he would want to experiment with playing KP at SG/SF. I know a lot of people have criticized Rambis for mentioning this, but I also feel that KP can still play defense at the 4 and try to play the 3 on offense. He compared KP to Toni Kukoc in that he thinks KP could be a blender. He has an outside shot and can also drive to the basket and his height advantage over guys at the 3 would be huge.

If we keep D Will this offseason, he fits extremely well into Messina's transition offense style. So does Grant and Gallo to an extent. RoLo has been exhibiting a great back-to-the basket game as of late. He also is a pretty good passer. Melo's court vision has also been way better this season and he's been showing how much he is willing to defer to other players with his assists going up this year.

Why does Phil hire him? Messina's style isn't all that far off from Phil's triangle. It's all about spacing and ball movement. Despite all of the media attention about the triangle, I think it's being blown out of proportion. Phil has said that he wants to install system basketball, not necessarily the triangle. Phil mentions spacing and ball movement a lot, which are two of Messina's biggest philosophies. If Phil goes outside of his coaching tree, I think Messina is the first guy he should call. Sure, Thibs is a sexier signing to the casual fan, but Messina would fit very well with our current roster and help us to build a solid identity moving forward.

I've been more loyal to the Knicks than some females in my life. The Knicks break my heart but I'm still there for them. **** this team.

If you are still watching Knicks games....stop.

Seriously. Take a break. This team hasn't earned your suffering.

Go watch some winners. Haven't watched a game in weeks and I'm cool.

Starks missing every shot in the finals has to be #1 worst all time memory. I can't even remember Ewing play that much, but it's pretty terrible.

That finals with Starks you already have this preconceived notion that it's in the bag, when #1 MJ was gone and #2 we actually made it to the finals. Should have been cake. Since the east was strongest at that time.

RIP Phife dawg of the Zulu nation #nativetongue

Last edited:
Wonder if it was the diabetes that finally got him.

RIP. That dude had so much personality. Wouldn't be Tribe without his high pitched voice bouncing off Tip's monotone slow flow.
frown.gif

On the night before the biggest high school basketball game in modern times, two teenage prodigies—strangers, soon to be rivals—sat on a hotel staircase and bonded.

They talked for hours, though, only briefly about basketball. The boys had so much else in common: raised by single moms; brought up in broken neighborhoods, amid drugs and gunfire and the blare of police sirens; their basketball skills honed on decaying asphalt courts.

The game was their escape, their salvation, and it had brought these two boys—a passing wizard from Akron, Ohio, and a scoring maestro from Baltimore—to this modest hotel in Langhorne, Pennsylvania, across from a Sesame Street theme park.

The next day, the two phenoms would go head-to-head, the featured attraction in a high school showcase in Trenton, New Jersey. Their game, hyped for weeks, would draw 11,000 people and an army of NBA scouts and executives, all eager to bear witness to their talents.

The boys' fame would only grow in the months and years that followed.

But for a quiet few hours, there in the lobby of the Sheraton Bucks County, LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony were just two 17-year-olds in search of kinship.

http://ble.ac/1RycsOW

Wonder if it was the diabetes that finally got him.

RIP. That dude had so much personality. Wouldn't be Tribe without his high pitched voice bouncing off Tip's monotone slow flow.:frown:

I read somewhere that his kidneys failed, complications from diabetes

Last edited:
On the night before the biggest high school basketball game in modern times, two teenage prodigies—strangers, soon to be rivals—sat on a hotel staircase and bonded.

They talked for hours, though, only briefly about basketball. The boys had so much else in common: raised by single moms; brought up in broken neighborhoods, amid drugs and gunfire and the blare of police sirens; their basketball skills honed on decaying asphalt courts.

The game was their escape, their salvation, and it had brought these two boys—a passing wizard from Akron, Ohio, and a scoring maestro from Baltimore—to this modest hotel in Langhorne, Pennsylvania, across from a Sesame Street theme park.

The next day, the two phenoms would go head-to-head, the featured attraction in a high school showcase in Trenton, New Jersey. Their game, hyped for weeks, would draw 11,000 people and an army of NBA scouts and executives, all eager to bear witness to their talents.

The boys' fame would only grow in the months and years that followed.

But for a quiet few hours, there in the lobby of the Sheraton Bucks County, LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony were just two 17-year-olds in search of kinship.

http://ble.ac/1RycsOW

This was a great read.

just finished it myself. i actually have more respect for bron now after the part about him wearing melos jersey to the playoff game. maybe one day the brotherhood can win a chip together...except for cp :rofl:

Back
Top Bottom