OfficiaL '16 NYK offseason thread, Melo goes to bodega in bathrobe and Olympic hat

In the past few months, Who's been your favorite Melo? Multiple choice

• A. Olympic Melo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Civil Rights Activist Melo

• C. Brazilian hood Melo

• D. Ninja Turtle movie star Melo

• E. Old man annoyed by kids Melo

• F. Yankee/Mets fan Melo

• G. Met Gala Fashion show Melo

• Total voters
Westbrook rumors circling hard body. I wanna hear that soundbite where he said he wants to play in NY possibly

Quick question, if we continue to slide. Do you think they are going to shut down Melo again. Knee been the topic of conversation for the past few weeks

Quick question, if we continue to slide. Do you think they are going to shut down Melo again. Knee been the topic of conversation for the past few weeks
I would what is the point of risking further injury if we aren't in the playoff hunt. I would let the young guys flourish out there...

I would what is the point of risking further injury if we aren't in the playoff hunt. I would let the young guys flourish out there...

The young guys wouldn't really "flourish", but I'd def. **** him down. Get KP 100 shots so he's comfortable being a go-to guy. AA will probably take those 100 shots though :lol:

Westbrook rumors circling hard body. I wanna hear that soundbite where he said he wants to play in NY possibly

don't think there's a soundbite of him saying it

in Woj's story this morning he said we "have his attention" with Melo & Kristaps. that's it.

i hope this isn't the inevitable decline of melo so soon. :smh:

It depends. Knee injuries are never simple heals. Always gonna be soreness, swelling, etc. it really depends on how his body reacts to the healing. He should really rest it more & limit back-to-back games. Unless we're in the playoff hunt.

It depends. Knee injuries are never simple heals. Always gonna be soreness, swelling, etc. it really depends on how his body reacts to the healing. He should really rest it more & limit back-to-back games. Unless we're in the playoff hunt.

Totally agree, but I hope he will be able to manage and at least attempt a playoff run. I wish he would not participate in the all-star game at all to be honest

Totally agree, but I hope he will be able to manage and at least attempt a playoff run. I wish he would not participate in the all-star game at all to be honest

I was talking to my boy about that. I hate that he makes the all-star game such a priority. It's really not serious enough to risk it. The season is way more important.

My take on Phil is exactly the same as it was before the draft, but it's a slightly better outlook. Due to landing the Kristaps pick.

Sure, Kristaps has been helped by the Triangle.. I think he also works well in P&R sets as well, as a Pick and Pop guy. And I truly think the situation around Kristaps has been as important to him looking this good as anything (No shade at Kristaps with that statement)..

BUT, the triangle is not going to win a title in the NBA unless there is a huge change in NBA culture.. The triangle has become a relic of basketball past, and there's no reason to think it will fight counter culture in the NBA today, and succeed (success measured in championships).. Even if Phil Jackson came down from the box to coach.

It makes the PG irrelevant in a PG driven league.. It limits 3s and going to the line, and maximizes mid range shots... Just look at the Lakers, who are not running the triangle, but their outcome is a lot of the same type of shots. It doesn't work in the NBA at this time.

Another thing is, he's building an entire team culture, based on this system, that he isn't even going to be around to see through. He's 3 years left in his deal. In 3 years, Melo is on the end of his prime, or past it. Kristaps would be entering his prime. Phil will be gone, and then what.. You're just going to keep running the Triangle?

It'd be one thing if Phil was staying for 10+ years, but 3 more seasons, you are wasting valuable time of Melo & Kristaps, when you could be building a culture that works with the NBA. Instead of an outdated one, that in 3 years someone new is going to have to come in, and either follow to their own detriment, or create a brand new one, which could impact Kristaps negatively.

As for Russell & KD, neither of them are good fits in the triangle, or are not a good fit next to Melo & Kristaps, respectively.

I rue the day, Jeanie Buss sticks her nose in to the basketball side, hires Phil away from you guys, and ruins D'Angelo Russell

Last edited:
The problem is Phil thinking he could coach through Fisher.
That's not how it works.

And I completely agree that the triangle does not translate to this Era of basketball.

100% agree with that post E

i appreciate Phil getting us back on the right track but i really hope he opts out so we could move forward.

That KP pick has been his saving grace so far, In the time since he's been here I don't see us going in the right direction YET. I know we had to demolish and build back up, but fam is dead on with that statement on the triangle not going to work with us

It's not to say that Phil hasn't done a decent job as head of Basketball Ops....

There's been some great moves, and some putrid ones... But you guys at least have a better outlook than a few years ago.

But he's so damn stubborn about "his way" "his system" and "his guys" that he doesn't provide the flexibility to create a championship team. At least not in this NBA. When you have Jordan/Pippen, Shaq/Kobe and Kobe/Pau and most teams are running something similar, then yeah you'll win. But the common denominator is all the teams running something similar to Phil, they all stink... You guys just happen to have a Prime Scorer that can at least pull the front end of the car out of the lake.

This is a big reason why Dr. Buss, and not Jim Buss, wanted nothing to do with him, and hired Mike D'Antoni.

I wasn't even upset to see Phil go after 2011-12, because I could see that his system wasn't getting it done anymore.

As a GM, you are supposed to create a team for your coach and star player to succeed in, not a team that you want to see succeed..

Like Woj said, if you want the triangle so bad, then get your *** on the court and coach it.

Last edited:
I don't see an issue with the triangle when the Warriors use principles of it in their offense. Just update it and adjust to what you have on the court.

"the triangle eliminates the need for a PG"

well, that's a good thing since we have no PG 
laugh.gif

i dont think anythings wrong with the triangle, we just need better players and upgrade some positions/depth. everyone thinks this is 2k and we can just trade for whoever or sign whoever 
mean.gif
 theres obviously going to be growing pains we basically started from scratch once phil traded the old squad. We are going in the right direction and gonna be alright in the long run. 

Also, you don't build a culture around an offense. The Spurs offense is constantly changing, but their culture hasn't one bit.

This isn't the triangle offense culture.

Also, you don't build a culture around an offense. The Spurs offense is constantly changing, but their culture hasn't one bit.

This isn't the triangle offense culture.

Okay.. But what's the culture then...

Because there doesn't appear to be one, other than based around the triangle.

Back
Top Bottom