Offical 2009-10 NBA Season Thread

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

Dirk is starting for the West this year.

It would be a straight MOCKERY if Dirk didn't start when his town is hosting it.

Not only that, but he's playing the best ball since his MVP season, and maybe even BETTER.
why would that be a mockery?...the city of dallas isnt the only one to determine the starters...1996 was held in san antonio but david robinson didnt start how bout in 1998 patrick ewing wasnt a starter or even made the east team and it was held in new york...in 2004 shaq didnt start and it was held in LA...so whats your point?

playing his best ball since his MVP season and he'll get bounced out in the first round just like his MVP season
laugh.gif
Hyuck hyuck hyuck, really clever.

Try doing some extra research before you try to make a smart remark.

Ewing was hurt in 98.
There isn't a PF better than Dirk right now. Back in 96, Hakeem was THE Center.
2004? Of course Yao is going to start, the guy is an anomaly. The only reason he isn't leading right now is because he wasn't put on.

And guess what? Dirk is top-two vote-getting forwards in the West. As it should be.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

if Tyreke is strictly thought of as a PG by Sac...he applies here as well. Must improve as a PG to be worth the money he will pull in, in 4 years.

Houston took Jason Collins one spot in front of Zbo in 01....completely missed on the talent/ability between the 2...Portland saw promise still after 4 years and locked him into a max deal...fortunately they got out of it, but think Houston is disappointed they didn't get that same chance?
I don't know what is wrong with 20, 5, and 5 as a rookie. Traditional PG or not, he is the best player on the team not named Martin. AndMartin got a big extension after his rookie contract too.

Houston is happy they didn't get ZBO. Nothing against dude, but the current GM would never draft or trade for dude. Word to the Battier for Gay trade.

Originally Posted by knightngale

Randy Foye has to be one of the stupidest players in the NBA. Celtics keep looking old except for Rondo.
Son tossed up a fading turnaround three from the corner when there was PLENTY of time for him to pass it and look for an open shot.

laugh.gif

My point is -- ball dominating/shoot first PG's don't win big.

He eventually will need to move off the ball and do a good job of being that combo guard type that Wade is.

if they're insistent on him being a PG...it's not good long term for winning.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

My point is -- ball dominating/shoot first PG's don't win big.

He eventually will need to move off the ball and do a good job of being that combo guard type that Wade is.

if they're insistent on him being a PG...it's not good long term for winning.
It depends on the offense being used on the particular team though. The Kings were successful with a shoot-first PG in Mike Bibby. With aneffective high post offense in the playoffs, you do not need a traditional PG to succeed. It's funny you brought up Wade. Everyone knows he will bebringing the ball up in the 4th quarter in the playoffs every play. I understand if you think Evans or Wade can conserve energy by not playing PG, but at theend of the day and when it counts, it will straight up ISO for the dude anyways.

[h1]McHale Reveals How Old Celtics Would Treat LeBron's Dancing[/h1]

Dec 10, 2009 10:54 PM EST

James_LeBron_cle.jpg
Joakim Noah didn't appreciate LeBron James' dancing last week and it is unlikely last year's MVP would get away with doing that 20 years ago.

"If a guy was doing the Riverdance like that, coach would come over and say, 'Who's got the fewest amount of fouls of my big fellas?' " said ex-Celtic and TNT analyst Kevin McHale. "If you raised your hand, he would say, 'We will let him drive and then we will throw him on the ground.'

"When he is laying there we would say, 'Do you feel like dancing now?'

"And that pretty much solved the dancing problem."

laugh.gif

I hate the Celtics but I can get on board with that.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

James_LeBron_cle.jpg
Joakim Noah didn't appreciate LeBron James' dancing last week and it is unlikely last year's MVP would get away with doing that 20 years ago.

"If a guy was doing the Riverdance like that, coach would come over and say, 'Who's got the fewest amount of fouls of my big fellas?' " said ex-Celtic and TNT analyst Kevin McHale. "If you raised your hand, he would say, 'We will let him drive and then we will throw him on the ground.'

laugh.gif

tired.gif
wish that wouldve happened. Straight acting like a fool dancing around.

Damon is also from Portland, I never think it ends well when a player goes to his hometown...gets too comfy in the enviornment...or the excellent Oregon Bud.

James_LeBron_cle.jpg

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I would have loved to see what Salley, Mahorn, and Laimbeer would have done. Bron woulda had a knot like Scottie had
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by iceNcream

James_LeBron_cle.jpg

laugh.gif

tired.gif
wish that wouldve happened. Straight acting like a fool dancing around.

pimp.gif

CP's assessment of the Blazers is pretty spot-on. That team had uber-talent. But they were just constructed horribly.
smh.gif

And I'm not understanding how Jennings is a gunner. He takes 19 a game.

Shoot, he has been criticized for not shooting enough at times.

I personally think his shot total is pretty good right where it's at.

^
Thank you. Mike thinks just cuz I hate the Blazers, I can't speak on them.
smh.gif

So, I'm supposed to be afraid of the Nuggets right?
roll.gif

What the hell happened to Orlando?
grin.gif
They were cruisin and shouldamurked Utah on a back to back. Now Orlando faces the second game, and it's against a run and gun Phoenix. Lucky for Dwight, it'll only be ChanningFrye he has to go up against tonight, Amary won't want any of that.

Come on Gil, make your damn free throws. Hit those and we could put another L next to Boston, instead I gotta read Tim Legler getting herself wet over theCeltics some more.
sick.gif

Pistons with half a team have more heart then people give em credit for. If they get Ben, Rip, and Prince back, maybe they'll have the weapons to fightwith. Their minutes might get congested, but still, gotta have talent on the bench at least to stand a fighting chance.

And I'm not understanding how Jennings is a gunner. He takes 19 a game.
i wouldn't call him a 'gunner' cause he doesn't take that many bad shots....but uhh...19 leads all PG's in shot attempts, onlyGil is close.

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

Dirk is starting for the West this year.

It would be a straight MOCKERY if Dirk didn't start when his town is hosting it.

Not only that, but he's playing the best ball since his MVP season, and maybe even BETTER.
why would that be a mockery?...the city of dallas isnt the only one to determine the starters...1996 was held in san antonio but david robinson didnt start how bout in 1998 patrick ewing wasnt a starter or even made the east team and it was held in new york...in 2004 shaq didnt start and it was held in LA...so whats your point?

playing his best ball since his MVP season and he'll get bounced out in the first round just like his MVP season
laugh.gif
Hyuck hyuck hyuck, really clever.

Try doing some extra research before you try to make a smart remark.

Ewing was hurt in 98.
There isn't a PF better than Dirk right now. Back in 96, Hakeem was THE Center.
2004? Of course Yao is going to start, the guy is an anomaly. The only reason he isn't leading right now is because he wasn't put on.

And guess what? Dirk is top-two vote-getting forwards in the West. As it should be.
you still didnt answer my question...why would that be a mockery?...who cares if its held in dallas...now im not discrediting dirk hes a heck of atalent and he is the best in his position right now but you come in here saying its a mockery that dirk doesnt start in his hometowns game...my point is itthat it doesnt matter where the game is and if the hometown star makes the starting 5 of the all-star game...cp3 didnt make the starting team in the 2008all-star game btw and he was an MVP candidate...does that make it a mockery?

speaking of smart remarks?...didnt you say the Lakers were done after game 2 of the western conference finals?
eyes.gif
laugh.gif

Businesslike Approach Working For Celtics
By Tim Legler
ESPN

As I sat and watched Boston scratch out its 18th win of the season in Washington on Thursday night it occurred to me that even with all the Celtics have accomplished over the last two and a quarter seasons they are still, remarkably, underrated.

Surprisingly, Doc Rivers doesn't feel slighted or disrespected. He's actually fine with it because it motivates his team as they employ a quietly determined approach to consistent excellence.

Underrated? Really? Let me explain.

The Celtics have sprinted to an 18-4 record, tops in the Eastern Conference, yet they have somehow managed to operate in the immense shadow cast by the universal admiration of LeBron James and Kobe Bryant. The Celtics don't generate the lead plays on nightly highlight reels, nor do they dance on the sideline during blowout wins. They aren't as sexy as the Cavs and Lakers. They don't have a player capable of putting up video game numbers every night. What they do have is a group of guys that define what winning basketball in the NBA is all about.

The Celts share the ball. They defend on every possession. They accept roles. They play with energy, passion and pride. They look, feel and play like a group of guys that love playing together. Their balance makes them incredibly difficult to defend because teams cannot "lock in" on a particular player, set or area of the floor.

All five starters average between 11 and 18 points per game, and they can initiate their offense through anyone on the court. Despite claiming an NBA title in 2008 and winning 62 games a year ago, this team is the best of the three under the leadership of Kevin Garnett.

There are several reasons for that. First, Rajon Rondo has emerged as a legitimate All-Star-caliber point guard. He has transformed himself from an inconsistent blur with unlimited potential to an elite floor leader mastering the balance between taking over a game with his diverse talents and steadying the offense when things get tight down the stretch.

Secondly, in adding Rasheed Wallace and Marquis Daniels, Boston has added the type of versatility to its bench that gives Rivers numerous options in terms of defensive matchups.

Finally, the Celtics' top three scorers, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and KG haven't begun to show any signs of diminished scoring ability. They all seem to be as efficient as they were a few years ago.

It is early, and an NBA season is as much about attrition as anything else, but the Celtics have shown to this point that they are sitting in the pole position in the Eastern Conference. They will continue to win almost silently, etching a notch in the win column from night to night with the same combination of businesslike demeanor and individual excellence that makes watching them so much fun.

Now if they'd only work on their sideline dance moves once in awhile they'd really get everyone's attention.

I guess Legler isn't a fan of Bron's dancing either.
laugh.gif

Memphis fixing their bench problems
pimp.gif

Former Rockets guard Von Wafer is close to leaving Olympiakos and returning to the NBA with the Memphis Grizzlies, one source told HoopsHype.com. Wafer's European agents are working today to rescind his contract with the Greek powerhouse. The 6-foot-5 guard could soon afterwards join the Grizzlies for the rest of the season, the source said.
Wafer's departure is apparently of mutual agreement. Wafer was due to make $2 million with Olympiakos this year but the team's coach, Greek legend Panagiotis Giannakis, wasn't playing him for the last few games. Management didn't want to have that type of investment sitting on the bench, according to the source, so both sides decided to come to a quick resolution.

Wafer had his best season in the NBA last year with averages of 9.7 ppg and 1.8 rpg.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Memphis fixing their bench problems
pimp.gif

Former Rockets guard Von Wafer is close to leaving Olympiakos and returning to the NBA with the Memphis Grizzlies, one source told HoopsHype.com. Wafer's European agents are working today to rescind his contract with the Greek powerhouse. The 6-foot-5 guard could soon afterwards join the Grizzlies for the rest of the season, the source said.
Wafer's departure is apparently of mutual agreement. Wafer was due to make $2 million with Olympiakos this year but the team's coach, Greek legend Panagiotis Giannakis, wasn't playing him for the last few games. Management didn't want to have that type of investment sitting on the bench, according to the source, so both sides decided to come to a quick resolution.

Wafer had his best season in the NBA last year with averages of 9.7 ppg and 1.8 rpg.

eek.gif

Memphis actually doing something! I think piling up the wins helped.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom