NYC Car insurance thread

So I'm about to purchase a 2011 v6 Honda accord and I can't seem to find any reasonable car insurance prices. I'm 21 years old and I got my license about 8 months ago. All the rate quotes I got from major companies have told me about 700 a month which is outrageous.... There has to be a cheaper alternative for NY car insurance. Any help NTers?
I'm also a federal employee so maybe there's a special insurance I qualify for as well
I have no arrests no tickets and fair credit.

Insure your car upstate near Buffalo or along the Canada border. You don't have to say you live there. When they ask you where you'll be driving most of the time, give them a garaging zip code far from nyc. Only way around it, or else register/insure out of state.

gottttdamn

no wonder a lot of nyc dudes dont got cars an just spend money on sneakers and clothes

Sounds right. You have just become an "adult". You barely have enough driving experience. If you want to drive in NYC with a car insured and registered in your name, then I suggest buying a used car and get the lowest possible coverage. Premiums will not start dropping until you hit the age of 25.

Insure your car upstate near Buffalo or along the Canada border. You don't have to say you live there. When they ask you where you'll be driving most of the time, give them a garaging zip code far from nyc. Only way around it, or else register/insure out of state.

They will ask you for proof of residence (i.e. utility bills with your name on it, etc.).

I was trying to avoid the shady route but it looks like I may have no other alternative, it's rediculious my cuz is a felon has multiple accidents has bad credit and is only 22 and his insurance is 200 a month just because he's insured out of NYC.... I see why lots of NYers don't have cars this would bring my work transportation costs from 0 to about $1,000 a month not including car maintence :smh:

I was trying to avoid the shady route but it looks like I may have no other alternative, it's rediculious my cuz is a felon has multiple accidents has bad credit and is only 22 and his insurance is 200 a month just because he's insured out of NYC.... I see why lots of NYers don't have cars this would bring my work transportation costs from 0 to about $1,000 a month not including car maintence :smh:

that def isnt worth drivin a damn honda yo

Out of state is the way to go. Got my car fully covered under an older friends name for $104/month, Pennsylvania

i was 20 when i got my car and i paid 720 a month for liability for 6 months. then it dropped to 1800 a year afterwards when i switched insurance companies. got a 07 impala btw

Damn that's mad money. I only pay about $100 a month. and i drive a 2011 toyota highlander hybrid, and live in long island. Try a quote from state farm. They offer a lot of good discounts. If you're a non smoker, if you get life insurance, and if you're in college or a recent college grad with a gpa higher than 3.0.

Than again honda civics are also amongst the most stolen cars, and they're among the most ticketed cars the in the nation for speeding. Would you consider getting an accord?

Last edited:
The actual problem in NYC isn't theft, but insurance fraud. That is why premiums are so high. Having a car in NYC is a luxury, not a necessity. If you choose to live far away from public transportation than its yours or your parents fault.

The problem with the having it insured under a friend's name or family member's name is that if the accident is your fault then that person's record gets messed up and it is possible your claim won't go through, but hey you do what you have to do if you want something.

Damn that's mad money. I only pay about $100 a month. and i drive a 2011 toyota highlander hybrid, and live in long island. Try a quote from state farm. They offer a lot of good discounts. If you're a non smoker, if you get life insurance, and if you're in college or a recent college grad with a gpa higher than 3.0.
Than again honda civics are also amongst the most stolen cars, and they're among the most ticketed cars the in the nation for speeding. Would you consider getting an accord?

I am getting an accord and even with those discounts that's only about 10% off 630 isn't much better....

So I'm about to purchase a 2011 v6 Honda accord and I can't seem to find any reasonable car insurance prices. I'm 21 years old and I got my license about 8 months ago. All the rate quotes I got from major companies have told me about 700 a month which is outrageous.... There has to be a cheaper alternative for NY car insurance. Any help NTers?
I'm also a federal employee so maybe there's a special insurance I qualify for as well
I have no arrests no tickets and fair credit.

$700 a month is just about right for full coverage. Just buy something older and get liability. That's just life.

If your parents or a family member has car insurance you can probably get on their policy and pay a reduced rate.

Same situation as you when I first started driving at 21. Main thing is to NOT lease or finance since you have to get full coverage. Get a hoopty for a year so you only have to get liability. I was quoted 700 and up but I found this one company called country wide insurance that quoted me 350 a month. Only difference between them and other companies is they do annual plans instead of 3 or 6 months. There site is cwico.com After that year lease or finance the car you want and you'll be getting much lower rates. Or too keep it simple, find a family member to add you to there plan.

Same situation as you when I first started driving at 21. Main thing is to NOT lease or finance since you have to get full coverage. Get a hoopty for a year so you only have to get liability. I was quoted 700 and up but I found this one company called country wide insurance that quoted me 350 a month. Only difference between them and other companies is they do annual plans instead of 3 or 6 months. There site is cwico.com After that year lease or finance the car you want and you'll be getting much lower rates. Or too keep it simple, find a family member to add you to there plan.
Thanks for the info I will look into it, I could prolly do 350 but I don't want to sink money into a hooptey when I have the money now and the car basically picked out

I know that feel, bro. I was paying around that much for full coverage when I first bought my car but I just ended up putting it under someone else name. Even then I was paying $1800/6 months. One of my co-workers put me on to his brother recently and dude got me a policy for $760/Year/Liability. I was so damn happy. :lol:

PM me if you want and I can put you on to that dude only if your serious though. He got me a quote for me $1100/6 months under my name. I have 1 (3 years ago)accident and 4 points( 2 years ago). Almost 4 years with the license, though.

Thanks for the info I will look into it, I could prolly do 350 but I don't want to sink money into a hooptey when I have the money now and the car basically picked out

but you dont have the money now.

Out of state is the way to go. I been insured in FL since I got my first car.

NYC insurance is they same as leasing a new Bens or BMW :smh:

Yeah cop something older, cheaper and get liability. Doesn't have to be a hooptie. That quote seems insane to me, I pay around 55 a month for full (modified a bit) with geico in VA.

I actually work at one of the major insurance companies. Hurricane Sandy is definitely going to make a lot of the ny/nj rates go up becuase all of the money that is being paid out. 

$700 is crazy though. But the Nter that mentioned the rates being high because of insurance fraud is exactly right. I never knew how big it was until I started working for insurance. 

Back
Top Bottom