NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

opinions on kel tec shotguns?

dope stuff also elder I like everything compact for the most part.. Ill take a weapon I can have all the time also

Last edited:
Much appreciated my brothers. I took a hiatus from firearms but now I'm back in it. Me and 2 buddies of mine (one a police officer in Houston, another a former State Dept contractor) are planning a YouTube or Vimeo shooting show. We're just scouting out an outdoor range or personal range that would let us film. Our slant is that we're just 3 regular black guys who are NRA members that love to shoot. We want to be a positive influence in the African-American arms market while still being able to appeal to the overall gun community. Wish us the best my homies.
Please be better than Colin Noir. I do not like his channel lol .

Still working on landing my overseas gig EWD steady making connections.

What do you all think about the Glock 36. I was thinking about getting either the G36 45 cal single stack or G43 9 mm single stack.

I already have a 2 G19s and a G26s, not sure if I should buy another 9mm but I like that I would have more mag capacity for every day carry.

Sbrs are addicting. The $200 stamp is ridiculous but well worth the legal hoops imo. I'll say it again CZ scorpion sbr is FUN and cheap to shoot

(Waiting on my Dead Air Sandman for the 300blk sbr)

What stamp?
https://defensefirearms.wordpress.com/2012/09/27/how-to-legally-own-a-short-barrel-rifle-sbr/
An SBR, or short barrel rifle is a category of firearm that is regulated by the National Firearms Act or NFA. Basically speaking it’s a rifle with a barrel shorter than 16″ or smaller than 26″ overall length. Another type of firearm that is similar is the Short Barrel Shotgun, or SBS, but we’ll focus on the SBR for now.

In order to legally own an SBR, one must first identify what the specifications of what the SBR will be. Specifically, you will need to actually identify what firearm you will turn into an SBR in order to register the serial number and the actual overall length of the firearm, make, model, caliber, etc. As an example, if you own an AR rifle (a rifle with a barrel 16″ or greater) and you want to shorten the barrel, you will need to have a serial number and decide how short you want the barrel. For example, let’s say you want to change your barrel from 16″ to 10″, you will need to first measure the overall length. The overall length should include the size of the stock fully extended (for those that have adjustable stocks). Additionally, you will measure the length of the actual barrel tip and not include the flash hider, suppressor. The reason for this is that the flash suppressor is NOT considered a part of the barrel unless it is welded and pinned to the barrel.

Once you measure the entire length of the firearm, let’s say it’s 30″ for arguments sake, you will then subtract 6″ from that measurement (16″ minus 10″ equals 6″). Take away the 6″ measurement from 30″ and you have 24″ as your new “desired” length of what you will want when your SBR is legally assembled. Remember, you CANNOT legally assemble the SBR and take these measurements, and you CANNOT legally be in possession of all the materials to assemble an SBR until you have your approval from the BATFE, doing so is called constructive possession. In lieu of measuring the actual SBR, you will have to do the math above.

Once you have your serial number, make, model, caliber and measurements of your firearm you will fill out a Form 1 (http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf). After filling out the Form 1, you will mail it along with a check for $200 to the BATFE and wait for you tax stamp approval. 

Different states have different restrictions on owning an SBR. In other words, some states simply require you to get your fingerprints and get approval from your local Police Chief/Sheriff in order to complete the Form 1. Basically, the BATFE requires you get approval from your local law enforcement in order to get approval from them. I will blog about some of the different regulations per state as all states/counties have different laws.

Once you receive your tax stamp back from the BATFE, you are good to go (return times vary, contact the NFA Branch to get an estimated timeframe). Remember, ALWAYS have copies of your tax stamp paperwork with your SBR at all times, this will save you extreme amounts of trouble. 

I hope this helps, if anyone has questions or see corrections/clarifications that can be made, please let me know. Also, as a disclaimer, this article is not legal advice. To get specific information on laws and regulations regarding NFA or firearms, please contact the BATFE or legal council.

@ElderWatsonDiggs

I have a few new toys on the way right now, including an AR pistol. I'm really wanting to make it an SBR, but I have no experience with tax stamps. Is it really complicated? From what I gather it's just a matter of filling out some forms and waiting.

Anything important that I need to know being a newb?

I was looking over the form and 1 thing I wasn't sure about was the length. It asks for the overall length. Before the stock or are they asking what it'll be after the stock?

[COLOR=#red]So you may or may not have heard me mention that I'm all about short rifles and pistols. Well let me qualify that statement.

There's a saying in the photog world that the best camera is the one that you have with you at the time. Well gentlemen I believe the same is true about firearms. This is coming from a guy who's first ever rifle was a sniper platform with Leupold tactical glass and 1000 rounds of 77gr match grade 5.56 ammo that came out to around $1 per round.

But ask me how many ranges in my immediate area allowed for shooting beyond 100 yards? The answer was 0. So now I was stuck with an 18.5 inch accurized safe queen. Ok so I did add an EOTech to it later but I could have just bought a $800 AR if I was going to do that.

A few years later I bought a Zastava PAP M92 Serbian AK Pistol as a novelty item since it was only $600. I was thinking that it would be a cheap fun plinker that shoots cheap Russian surplus ammo. But as I began to become familiar with it and I swapped to more functional picattiny hand guards I began to appreciate its utility. A firearm that is compact enough to fit in a small knapsack, yet with all the capacity and firepower (albeit slightly diminished due to shorter barrel) of its full size rifle counterpart. With practice accuracy became as Good as the full sized as well, or at least pretty close. You can shoot well at 200-300 yards with shorties...and remember that's 2-3 football fields, more than adequate unless you live on a ranch :lol:

As shown below, I like that I can fit all that firepower in a medium sized hiking backpack complete with ammo, mags, safety equipment, and even some range snacks (the smell of chordite makes men "hungray" :lol: ) and not look like the wannabe operator type that wears Coyote brown ammo pouches with his blood type on it. For instance yesterday after the range I was craving Hooters. I didn't want to leave that bag in the vehicle so i brought it in with me. Nobody even suspected I had a World War Z survival kit in my bag. So anyway that's my reasoning, YMMV.

Next I'll talk about SBR vs Rifle "pistols". Not much difference physically, a WORLD of a difference paperwork and legal-wise.

[/COLOR]

Your information is almost always great but your self confidence is simply arrogance at this point.

You are NOT hitting your mark at 300 yds with an sbr especially a cheap one. I could put you 300 yds from a wild boar on the run and give you the whole mag and you MIGHT hit but if your engaging something that can respond in kind your gunna wanna wait until the target is half that distance away

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_51/337363_.html&page=1

Last edited:
DOPE pickup....im reaallllyyyy thinkin about gettin myself another kimber for christmas.

Then again i want to get a tactical shotgun.

What are the hoops you have to jump thru to obtain a suppressor?

Specifically in texas.

I'm not too sure. Here in Illinois, they're a no go. I want to jump through the hoops to make the pistol an SBR. Trying to find answers though is a pain in the *** because most of the info online is old.

I own a Kimber and love it. I see people complain about them, but mine is a machine lol

This is my first Colt and I'm thinking about getting a Springfield soon. I love 1911s.

I'm hoping to get the Springfield, a 44mag and a tactical shotgun soon.

Last edited:
What are the hoops you have to jump thru to obtain a suppressor?

Specifically in texas.
I'm not too sure. Here in Illinois, they're a no go. I want to jump through the hoops to make the pistol an SBR. Trying to find answers though is a pain in the *** because most of the info online is old.
Rumor has it the Trump administration will push for suppressors to be removed from the NFA item list. At that point, they would simply be considered (hearing) safety equipment, which is what they actually are:

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/11/donald-trump-second-amendment-coalition-obama-executive-actions/

I don't currently own any suppressors because I don't want to deal with the hassle. If what I said above comes true, I'll be buying multiple... 
nthat.gif

Last edited:
As far as class 3 "weapons " go you must get a tax stamp from the ATF. I have a suppressor sitting in my gun brokers safe waiting for my cute little stamp from them. It's been close to a year now. I say "weapons " because it's the same hoops to jump through if you want a suppressor, SBR, or a machine gun they all are class 3 weapons :smh:

I steered way clear of the Ras47. A lot more data on it now. It's definitely a certified p.o.s.
Go with any combloc ak instead. High end (price wise) an arsenal, or fm-ak47-11...lower end, a new production wasr.

Back
Top Bottom