NTers who lease their whips? Vol: new whip every 3 years

Can you throw tints on a lease? And not get charged?

Say I lease a car and throw some 10% tints on there. Can I just get it removed when it's time to turn the car back in?

You can do anything you want to a lease as long as the car comes back stock when you return it. I've put intakes/exhausts/wheels on some of mine.

Say I lease a car and throw some 10% tints on there. Can I just get it removed when it's time to turn the car back in?

You can do anything you want to a lease as long as the car comes back stock when you return it. I've put intakes/exhausts/wheels on some of mine.

Came in to ask the same question. Thanks for the response

Slightly off topic, but came in to say renting beats owning a house in many cases unless you are buying to rent out for income. Closing costs, property taxes, maintenance,and interest do not add to the value of the home and can put you at a huge deficit if you have to sell at the wrong time.

Only time rent beats out buying is if you stay there less than 5 years. You can deduct mortgage interest on a home and rent goes up every couple of years while your mortgage won't increase much besides for property tax and homeowners insurance.

Yup you're good with tints and don't have to remove them upon lease return most of the time.

Lol. 6k rolled no questions asked? I don't think so. Your credit plays a huge role in this. The bank makes the decision based on the specific case.

Credit definitely plays a role. Just really depends on the negative equity and the total amount financed.

In regards to rolling negative equity into a new car it's totally up to you. Generally I recommend if the negative equity is between $3000-$5000 I say don't do it and sell it outright yourself. Just depends on your monthly payment budget mostly

Yup. You are just putting yourself in a whole. My buddy has 7 negative equity. Honda had some crazy incentives on crosstours. He got a credit of 6k for buying one and ended up doing 3k down. Big help, got himself out of the hole and got a killer price on a exl navi 2wd.

How important is credit history when leasing?
What do they check for as far as your report goes?

My history is clean, just a lot of student loans

Do they check your job, income, etc?

Last edited:

of course they aren't just gonna let anyone with good credit take a whip

Credit history is huge. Leasing is credit requirements are more strict than financing.

They definitely will ask your income, mortgage/rent amount, etc.

Yeah I didn't buy a house when I planned on doing it 3 years ago.

If I would have bought the house I planned on buying I could sell it for 50k than I would have bought it for.

Even after closing taxes and all that gibberish I would have pocketed 20k cash at least and lived in a house the last 3 years instead of renting.

If you in North Texas and can afford it buy a house as fast as you can. Population growth isn't slowing down anytime soon.

I'm single with no kids and a decent income and I talked myself out of it.

I wanted to be able to take a job wherever and whenever so I thought the house bit would slow me down. Even if I rented it out I still would have been winning.

I typed all this to point out there are no hard and fast rules for leasing cars or buying homes.

Ironically enough if I would have been leasing my last 2 cars and bought a house I would have had more disposable income and an appreciating asset.

Right now I don't have either

Last edited:
It's 2014 and cats are still leasing whips?

You prolly thinking about leasing Toyotas and Hondas though. Those are reliable cars that you'd keep.

I'd always lease over buying it. Matter of fact, if Tesla offered leasing I would've taken that route immediately instead of paying in cash.

With a good credit history you can get low rates. That whey you still have money in the bank and don't lose out on $1xx,xxx dollars.

Last edited:
Guys, I'm in a little bit of a jam.

Bought a 2011 Camry with 45k miles in February with a $15k loan. Almost instantly put 5-6 VERY BAD scratches on it while trying to get snow/ice off. Worst two span across the back of the trunk.

Getting more and more involved in a band, so I would like to honestly downgrade to an older car that can hold my drums in a hatchback. I'm thinking Subaru Outback/Forest, Volvo wagon, xB, Honda Element. Plus I just don't need a damn 2011, I'm 25 and I can get something just fine from 2007-2009.

Any advice? Basically trying to downgrade from a $15k car with bad scratches to something in the $9-11k range. Should I just stick with what I have, or can this be done without losing much money?

Carmax is your friend. They buy cars left and right and sometimes you make money on the deal. Look into them.

In fact, I recommend anyone to go to carmax if they are over mileage, have cosmetic damage, or are looking to get out of their lease. I've done this for 3-4 cars and I always break even or come out ahead $1,000-$2000.

Tints are okay. Anything else is a no go. Dealers turn around and sell lease returns as used cars, so tints are a plus for some buyers. As long as the tints are legal for your state, you should not worry about removing them before returning your car.

I've purchased and leased. For me lease is the way to go. In fact, working on a lease right now.

Last edited:
Who in here has been driving the same car for 8 years+ or plan on driving their current whip til the wheels fall off?

Leasing is the most expensive way to pay for a motor vehicle and I would say most Americans don t have extra money to bkow

How does trading in a car you're still financing work? They pay off your loan and apply anything left over to the new whip?

Ie. you see a car that's being sold for 20k, you owe 14k on your current car, dealer offers you 12k. Would they even let you trade in tr whip?

14k loan on current car to trade in and dealer offers 12k

In this situation. No, they will not. That loan has to be paid off during the trade so the dealership can get the title. You'll have to pay the 2k out of pocket. In this case nothing will go towards the new car.
That's why i strongly advise people to not trade-in a car that they still owe money on

Last edited:

You can throw tints.

I tinted all of my leases and left it on when I turned it in.

I went a little crazy with my 07 5.7 Jeep and did a CAI, exhaust, tune, catch can. Had to take all that **** off and sell it on the forums. lol

Slightly off topic, but came in to say renting beats owning a house in many cases unless you are buying to rent out for income. Closing costs, property taxes, maintenance,and interest do not add to the value of the home and can put you at a huge deficit if you have to sell at the wrong time.

Only time rent beats out buying is if you stay there less than 5 years. You can deduct mortgage interest on a home and rent goes up every couple of years while your mortgage won't increase much besides for property tax and homeowners insurance.

gotta disagree here. grass is always greener.

there are a lot of unexpected costs involved in owning. maintenance can be a pain in the butt. when i was renting, if anything happened i just called the landlord and they would come in and take care of it easy peasy. now if something breaks its on me. my place isnt even that old (built in 2002) and i am constantly finding stuff that i have to deal with. as far as the tax benefit goes, everyone situation is different. sure the mortgage interest is a deduction, but in some cases it might not offset the extra costs. My property tax is almost $10K a year. I'm not saving $10K a year in mortgage interest deductions.

gotta disagree here. grass is always greener.

there are a lot of unexpected costs involved in owning. maintenance can be a pain in the butt. when i was renting, if anything happened i just called the landlord and they would come in and take care of it easy peasy. now if something breaks its on me. my place isnt even that old (built in 2002) and i am constantly finding stuff that i have to deal with. as far as the tax benefit goes, everyone situation is different. sure the mortgage interest is a deduction, but in some cases it might not offset the extra costs. My property tax is almost $10K a year. I'm not saving $10K a year in mortgage interest deductions.

I'll agree to disagree.

I prefer buying. I'd rather have more money and less car. I have zero problem driving my '06 Sonata, which has been paid off since 2010. I'll whip it for a few more years for sure. Only has 83k on it. Since it's been paid off I've kept paying that old monthly note into an investment which I'll use to buy my new whip in cash, when that time comes.

I will say... I get to drive nice cars when I'm on the road for work due to my National Club status, and it is a lot more fun than my Sonata. I usually grab the new Genesis, MKS, maybe a souped up Taurus or a Caddy CTS. Joints are dope.

Last edited:
I prefer buying. I'd rather have more money and less car. I have zero problem driving my '06 Sonata, which has been paid off since 2010. I'll whip it for a few more years for sure. Only has 83k on it. Since it's been paid off I've kept paying that old monthly note into an investment which I'll use to buy my new whip in cash, when that time comes.

I will say... I get to drive nice cars when I'm on the road for work due to my National Club status, and it is a lot more fun than my Sonata. I usually grab the new Genesis, MKS, maybe a souped up Taurus or a Caddy CTS. Joints are dope.

But from 2006-2010 a person that lease has more money, so how did you conclude you have more money ?

It would probably take me two leases to = the cost of buying a new whip

I could lease a whip and cop a daily driver with all the money I was saving to buy a car

Reactions: ct3
Back
Top Bottom