NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

EDIT: Petit blanc was very good. It was tart, had some funk and grape with slight oak.

Last edited:
waiting a while for the return of pile of crowns was worth it, lic beer project doesn't play around with this one, regretting not getting more and promising people trades, I just want to hoard this for myself

@comparison ford great meeting you on Saturday, thanks again for the sand city spread

Pick ups from earlier for tonight's game. Pumped to try this double IPA from Revision Brewing. I read that one of the co-founders left Knee Deep and started Revision. Huge Knee Deep fan so I can't wait to give this one a whirl. Also interested in trying their 3x IPA Dr. Lupulin. And then I saw they had this super high rated pale ale, Pseudo Sue. Tonight should be fun.

Lagunitas was still churning out great stuff at great prices even after the 50% ownership with Heineken.

Let's see what happens with Heineken having full ownership.

If that Sue was brewed in FL, I anticipate dissapoointnent.

The Pseudo Sue distributed out here in Cali is indeed brewed in FL. Definitely not the same as the ones I've had brewed in Iowa. Also saw that some bottleshops are getting Golden Nugget as well.

I don't know the story. Are microbreweries contracting out the actual brewing part?

I know Kona Brewing (not a microbrewery obviously) brews in Portland and has it shipped to the Islands :lol: Not exactly contracting out, but still.

Last edited:
I don't know the story. Are microbreweries contracting out the actual brewing part?

I know Kona Brewing (not a microbrewery obviously) brews in Portland and has it shipped to the Islands :lol: Not exactly contracting out, but still.

Yeah, there are a few breweries that contract out for distribution purposes. There's a contract brewery here in Denver called Sleeping Giant, and a few breweries use them mostly for what they distribute to stores. I know WeldWerks has used them to brew their flagship Juicy Bits IPA for their taproom and keg distribution because it's in such demand that they can't keep up in their own brewhouse.

There's a small chain of contract spaces with one in Florida, one in St. Louis and maybe one more called Brew Hub. Cigar City used to use them before Oskar Blues bought them and Toppling Goliath uses them now.

And of course, there are the usual Evil Twin, Omnipollo, Stillwater and other gypsy brewers that all contract out the brewing. They're not on site every time to oversee the actual process. Omnipollo and Stillwater use Crazy Mountain here in Denver to contract brew and package...I can guarantee they're not on site.

^ had salassie (think that was the name) from omnipollo made in Denver and it was garbage compared to the stuff from their overseas brewery

^ had salassie (think that was the name) from omnipollo made in Denver and it was garbage compared to the stuff from their overseas brewery

Not a surprise...Crazy Mountain is an absolutely terrible brewery.

They get all kinds of love for some unknown reason, and I've given them several shots to improve and impress me, because every beer I've had of theirs is all kinds of not good. And I'm done...will never give them another dime of my money. Makes me a little gunshy on even buying Stillwater stuff they brew too.

My local brewery just started bottling their beers. Picked up a bomber at Costco the other day. Price was good but still hard to pay when I get to have $5 growler fills and $3.50 pints ($2.50 happy hour) whenever I go.

How do micros go about distributing their beers throughout say, their local area after they start bottling? Is it through personally requesting meetings with companies? Having a deal with a local distribution company?

Had a friend from Sacramento bring this down. I've never had pliny the younger so unfortunately I can't compare the two but this Extremis from Moonraker was dang tasty. Lot of that citrusy/grapefruit came through. Super smooth for a 10% ipa. Friend said it was $20 for a 4 pack of 16 ounce cans but only available at their brewery up north. 

Heard great things about Moonraker. I had Pure Project's collab with them (Clouds of Delusion) last week. It was a solid DIPA with an extra dank aroma and bitterness. Wayyyy different from the usual NE style Pure does.

I was in Sac in March and my boy offered me up a can of Yojo. I declined cause I was on a tight schedule and didn't know anything about Moonraker then. Regrets :\

waiting a while for the return of pile of crowns was worth it, lic beer project doesn't play around with this one, regretting not getting more and promising people trades, I just want to hoard this for myself

@comparison ford great meeting you on Saturday, thanks again for the sand city spread
Likewise, and thank you for the generous offerings.  Most of which were consumed on line with the people I was with. 
laugh.gif

Anywho...between all of the weekend's releases and all of my friends from out of town crashing at my apartment this weekend I did some work.  Here's what I have to show for it:

Sand City Southdown.  Breakfast stout brewed with Southdown cold brew.  Had this on tap a bunch in the past, but this is my first time having it from the can.  Very reminiscent of FBS.  Nothing to write home about, but pretty good for what it is.  

Other Half x The Answer Double Dribble.  Imperial IPA double dry-hopped with Citra, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Lemondrop.  I remembered this being tasty, but I drank this right after having a Raining Threes which is the equivalent of skating right after Tony Hawk in a 90's vert contest.  Liquid Bob Burnquist.

Other Half x MikkellerSD Crooked Crops.  Wheat IPA brewed with Galaxy, Jarrylo, Topaz, Southern Aroma, and XJA.  Definitely a departure from Other Half's usual fare.  Big wheat characteristic, and I still can't pin down what I'm tasting with South African hops.  Either way, enjoyable for what it is.

DDH Crooked Crops.  Tastes like a hoppier version of the above.  Shocking.

Needs no introduction.  Finally had the chance to drink a full can due to a generous house guest.  Honestly?  It's fine.  Maybe my palate is wrecked from drinking so much Other Half, but this didn't "pop" like I wished it would.  Mouthfeel is great, flavors were nice, but I was expecting more.  We drank this alongside Raining Threes and Raining Threes was the unanimous winner (besides my roommate, but he always has to be the contrarian 
laugh.gif
).

Another one I finally got around to trying.  Preferred this over Julius, but still have similar sentiments.  I enjoy Tree House beers a lot, but I always walk away somewhat underwhelmed.  Hype will do that, I guess.

Sand City x Barrage Man Hands.  Imperial IPA double dry-hopped with Nelson, Mosaic, and Comet.  This one is INTENSE.  Almost too intense.  The Nelson/Mosaic combo adds a huge pungency to the beer.  Delicious, but could definitely use a week to settle.  One of their superior offerings.

Sand City Putting Out Fires.  5.4% (Session?)  IPA brewed with Citra and Motueka.  Really enjoyed this one.  Obviously not as hoppy as an Imperial, but still extremely juicy for what it is.  The drinkability is great.  This would be perfect for the summer.  Really hoping they can this again over the upcoming months.

Other Half x The Answer Raining Threes.  Imperial IPA triple dry-hopped with Galaxy, Citra, and Motueka.  Pretty much a triple dry-hopped version of No Layups (my favorite beer of last year).  This one doesn't disappoint.  Distinctly unique from the other offerings this weekend.  Freakishly juicy, approaching the point where it's hard to accept the fact that it's beer.  My favorite beer of 2017 so far.  

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom