NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Originally Posted by TonyReali

1478.jpg
all day

Small home brew update:
Either some guests enjoyed some legit home brew, or just the fact that it was FREE, a group of 10-15 finished off a few gallons worth of home brew in no time the other weekend. Our blonde ale was a hit with the lighter macro style drinkers.. We brought in some sweetness, kicked up the ABV, and walked lightly with the hop profile. That home brew beer  instantly became my favorite. I can share with whomever may want it.

Right after the blonde finished up, we had a red ale ready to drink. Here's a photo of the last pint of the batch... Still relatively new and fresh. We have to try and let these beers age a bit more. lol
051356694c6e7e284b1b13363df87dd07bab655_r.jpg

Deep red color.... almost to the amber level.

We are one week away from drinking our first IPA. Almost identical in ingredients to our Blonde ale, this one has 3-4 times as many hops in the boil. And for the first time ever, we dry hopped. So the hoppy flavors should be around all over the place

---------

I tried out some new beers the past few nights

Paulaner Oktoberfest-Marzen
Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse

I usually don't trust reviews all that much, but these guys both did not disappoint.. Priced almost twice as much as the other regional beers of the same style, I may buy these once in awhile.. They are definitely rotation worthy. But we shall see. My beer judging pallet is just not up to par, so sometimes the cheaper stuff is just the way to go.
----------------------
Beer fest season is right upon us. It's crazy how much there is out there for us to try and enjoy.... Anyone else gain weight since starting the craft beer tastings ?
laugh.gif

Small home brew update:
Either some guests enjoyed some legit home brew, or just the fact that it was FREE, a group of 10-15 finished off a few gallons worth of home brew in no time the other weekend. Our blonde ale was a hit with the lighter macro style drinkers.. We brought in some sweetness, kicked up the ABV, and walked lightly with the hop profile. That home brew beer  instantly became my favorite. I can share with whomever may want it.

Right after the blonde finished up, we had a red ale ready to drink. Here's a photo of the last pint of the batch... Still relatively new and fresh. We have to try and let these beers age a bit more. lol
051356694c6e7e284b1b13363df87dd07bab655_r.jpg

Deep red color.... almost to the amber level.

We are one week away from drinking our first IPA. Almost identical in ingredients to our Blonde ale, this one has 3-4 times as many hops in the boil. And for the first time ever, we dry hopped. So the hoppy flavors should be around all over the place

---------

I tried out some new beers the past few nights

Paulaner Oktoberfest-Marzen
Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse

I usually don't trust reviews all that much, but these guys both did not disappoint.. Priced almost twice as much as the other regional beers of the same style, I may buy these once in awhile.. They are definitely rotation worthy. But we shall see. My beer judging pallet is just not up to par, so sometimes the cheaper stuff is just the way to go.
----------------------
Beer fest season is right upon us. It's crazy how much there is out there for us to try and enjoy.... Anyone else gain weight since starting the craft beer tastings ?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by JosephSKC

Originally Posted by troublebound666

@JosephSKC: I'm in Kansas City, and we won't be getting Yuengling distributed here anytime soon.

That said, I think it's far better than Stella, and the only similarity between the two is they're both lagers. Stella is a Euro Pale Lager. Yuengling Lager is an American Amber/Red Lager.

Yuengling is easily the best cheaper beer you can get your hands on, as it actually has flavor. I'm a super craft beer nerd, but I will always knock back a few Lagers when I'm in Pa. visiting family.
I'll have to have a friend mail me some because I don't see me headed east anytime soon. I bought a Stella before I left Lawrence yesterday and I gotta say it was not bad at all. That being said I'm more eager to try Yeung Ling now. What do you recommend in our area that is similar to Yeung Ling if anything? Also what is your favorite beer? I've always been a liquor person but being out at KU I've been getting the taste buds for beer.
There's really nothing available in Ks. or Mo. that is similar to Yuengling. Looking at Beer Advocate's top 50 for the style, there's nothing that even would be remotely similar near us.
Troublebound666 -- New Belgium just announced a 13 million dollar set up expansion to Asheville NC about 20 mins away from me. Always dope to hear that. Now if only they could get Stone Brewing to expand to the east coast...
ohwell.gif

That's awesome...Should make it available all the way up the east coast. And Sierra Nevada is going in there too!
bro....that sounds delicious.  how much was it?  i'm stoked NB's distributing Tart Lychee.  apparently they're going for $10/bomber though
sick.gif

It was incredible. It was $60 a person plus tax and tip...ended up at $158 total for me and my wife. It may sound like a lot, but it was worth every penny. The food was amazing, and the beer will never be available in draft form around here again. Julian is maybe the best restaurant in Kansas City and is definitely the best craft beer-friendly restaurant in town. Chef Tio rules.

And $10 a bomber isn't too bad, I don't think. I'll gladly pay it. I also want the NB/Lost Abbey Brett Beer collab too, and I'm sure it'll be more than that. Hell, I've paid close to $20 a pop for some hard-to-get bottles before. Granted, most bombers I buy are under $10, but Jolly Pumpkin is $11 or $12 around here and others can be that much. I split 'em with my wife usually, so it's not too bad.

I just get mad when I see stuff like Lagunitas or Deschutes bombers in bars for upwards of 9 or 10 bucks when they're only $3.50 or $4 in stores. Or Jolly Pumpkin at $22 bucks in a bar. That said, we got a rare bottle of Cantillon for $30 in a bar one night...but it's freaking Cantillon! A must-drink at (almost) any price.

Originally Posted by JosephSKC

Originally Posted by troublebound666

@JosephSKC: I'm in Kansas City, and we won't be getting Yuengling distributed here anytime soon.

That said, I think it's far better than Stella, and the only similarity between the two is they're both lagers. Stella is a Euro Pale Lager. Yuengling Lager is an American Amber/Red Lager.

Yuengling is easily the best cheaper beer you can get your hands on, as it actually has flavor. I'm a super craft beer nerd, but I will always knock back a few Lagers when I'm in Pa. visiting family.
I'll have to have a friend mail me some because I don't see me headed east anytime soon. I bought a Stella before I left Lawrence yesterday and I gotta say it was not bad at all. That being said I'm more eager to try Yeung Ling now. What do you recommend in our area that is similar to Yeung Ling if anything? Also what is your favorite beer? I've always been a liquor person but being out at KU I've been getting the taste buds for beer.
There's really nothing available in Ks. or Mo. that is similar to Yuengling. Looking at Beer Advocate's top 50 for the style, there's nothing that even would be remotely similar near us.
Troublebound666 -- New Belgium just announced a 13 million dollar set up expansion to Asheville NC about 20 mins away from me. Always dope to hear that. Now if only they could get Stone Brewing to expand to the east coast...
ohwell.gif

That's awesome...Should make it available all the way up the east coast. And Sierra Nevada is going in there too!
bro....that sounds delicious.  how much was it?  i'm stoked NB's distributing Tart Lychee.  apparently they're going for $10/bomber though
sick.gif

It was incredible. It was $60 a person plus tax and tip...ended up at $158 total for me and my wife. It may sound like a lot, but it was worth every penny. The food was amazing, and the beer will never be available in draft form around here again. Julian is maybe the best restaurant in Kansas City and is definitely the best craft beer-friendly restaurant in town. Chef Tio rules.

And $10 a bomber isn't too bad, I don't think. I'll gladly pay it. I also want the NB/Lost Abbey Brett Beer collab too, and I'm sure it'll be more than that. Hell, I've paid close to $20 a pop for some hard-to-get bottles before. Granted, most bombers I buy are under $10, but Jolly Pumpkin is $11 or $12 around here and others can be that much. I split 'em with my wife usually, so it's not too bad.

I just get mad when I see stuff like Lagunitas or Deschutes bombers in bars for upwards of 9 or 10 bucks when they're only $3.50 or $4 in stores. Or Jolly Pumpkin at $22 bucks in a bar. That said, we got a rare bottle of Cantillon for $30 in a bar one night...but it's freaking Cantillon! A must-drink at (almost) any price.

Originally Posted by StillIn729

I can't even imagine that a 55% beer tastes good

Their normal strength beers are #*!@@*% strong tasting so that +%** must be fire
alien.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by StillIn729

I can't even imagine that a 55% beer tastes good

Their normal strength beers are #*!@@*% strong tasting so that +%** must be fire
alien.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Hey Wally, nice update. That red ale looks tasty. 
I recently took some Pale Ale and Black IPA home brew to a 420 party a friend of mine had hosted. I had a lot of good feedback regarding both beers, and also a lot of questions regarding the brewing process. I really think that beer drinkers enjoy drinking fresh, quality brew. The fact that it was free just makes it that much better! 

The most recent batch was the Black IPA and I love how it came out. Pitch black, full bodied, hoppy and a solid overall beer. I didn't take a gravity reading but my guess is that its in the 7% range. 

Here is a pic of it ~5 weeks after bottling.

258tppe.jpg

Its my favorite batch of home brew thus far. Everything seemed to come out just right this time around. 

As far as gaining weight goes...I love drinking good beer, but don't like the empty calories that contribute to a beer belly.  I tend to drink higher ABV, non session beers to help offset that. 
laugh.gif

Minitsuj wrote:
piapizza wrote:
Palm Amber Ale is pretty good. Darker in color but lighter in taste. If you're looking for something real hoppy though, Green Flash Palate Wrecker is where it's at.

I've had Green Flash's West Coast IPA not too long ago and really loved it! Just the right amount of hops balanced with the citrus flavor. 

Green Flash is like my favorite brewery right now. Quality beers at a great price. I also like how their beers are unfiltered. West Coast IPA is one of the beers that made me a fan of IPA style beers. Their Imperial IPA and Barlywine style ale are really good too. I want to try their newest release called Rayon Vert which is a hoppy belgian style ale.

I think there a couple Kansas City bros in here.  Scooped up one of these today:

Brand_Tank_7.jpg

Quite tasty.

Liquor store also carries their Double Wide IPA that I am going to scoop up when I go back

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

I think there a couple Kansas City bros in here.  Scooped up one of these today:

Brand_Tank_7.jpg

Quite tasty.

Liquor store also carries their Double Wide IPA that I am going to scoop up when I go back
Damn right...Kansas City right here. Love me some Tank 7.

Saison-Brett is coming back out in June, so keep an eye out for that masterpiece of a beer. It's easily the best beer Boulevard makes. Grab a couple of bottles and set one aside and cellar it for awhile...it gets better with age.

Back
Top Bottom