NT Law Students School Me On Law School

b smooth 202

Banned
I'm a freshman, and I'm definitely sure I want to go to law school. I plan on majoring in History.

Insight? Advice? What should I expect.

Hell in a book. restless nights. no social life. working against the top students in their own respective classes

Advice

1. If you're not dead set on majoring in History try majoring in a hard science or engineering. This will allow you to take the patent barwhich will lead to more career options.

2. If you don't like reading, dealing with hyper competitive jerks, feeling stupid, no social life, etc law school isn't for you

3. Law school like anything else is what you make of it. Some people will say it sucks others will say it's fun. In my experience as long as youdon't let your lows get too low or your highs get too high then you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

I'm a freshman, and I'm definitely sure I want to go to law school. I plan on majoring in History.

Insight? Advice? What should I expect.
Hell.

Originally Posted by Sorkoram

Hell in a book. restless nights. no social life. working against the top students in their own respective classes
Son, I never knew you went to OSU.

You might know my female cousin....

1. If you're not dead set on majoring in History try majoring in a hard science or engineering. This will allow you to take the patent bar which will lead to more career options.
Uhm thats kind of why I chose history in the first place. I'm not a math person at all, so therefore, any hard science or engineering is a nogo.

I was considering doing law after University but from what I've heard/read...law school is very stressful and once you become a lawyer, expect to work 80hours a week. Yeah, the money is great but it comes with a crazy amount of stress.

Originally Posted by Thugnificence

why do they say its hell
Where do I start?

1. The workload is massive(I'm taking a break from my Corporations reading to type this
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
)
2. The professors are vicious when it comes to class participation. I sometimes think some of my professors enjoy humiliating students more than teachingthem
3. The grading curve. An A is only an A relative to how your classmates perform. When you have a class full of people that graduated at top of their classin undergrad you have alot of pressure just to get by.
4. Jealousy- You realize really quick which people are your friends when you get a summer associate position and they don't

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

1. If you're not dead set on majoring in History try majoring in a hard science or engineering. This will allow you to take the patent bar which will lead to more career options.
Uhm thats kind of why I chose history in the first place. I'm not a math person at all, so therefore, any hard science or engineering is a no go.

Make sure you take classes that are intellectually challenging and classes where you get to write.

Originally Posted by aepps20

why do they say its hell
Where do I start?

1. The workload is massive(I'm taking a break from my Corporations reading to type this
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
)
2. The professors are vicious when it comes to class participation. I sometimes think some of my professors enjoy humiliating students more than teaching them
3. The grading curve. An A is only an A relative to how your classmates perform. When you have a class full of people that graduated at top of their class in undergrad you have alot of pressure just to get by.
4. Jealousy- You realize really quick which people are your friends when you get a summer associate position and they don't
Which law school do you attend? How many hours a day do you have to study? How many hours a day will you have to work once you become a lawyer?What is more important in the US, GPA or LSAT? Just wondering because I live in Canada and most law schools here wont even consider you unless you have a 3.5

why do they say its hell
Where do I start?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
)
2. The professors are vicious when it comes to class participation. I sometimes think some of my professors enjoy humiliating students more than teaching them
3. The grading curve. An A is only an A relative to how your classmates perform. When you have a class full of people that graduated at top of their class in undergrad you have alot of pressure just to get by.

Which law school do you go to?

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

why do they say its hell
Where do I start?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
)
Which law school do you attend? How many hours a day do you have to study? How many hours a day will you have to work once you become a lawyer? What is more important in the US, GPA or LSAT? Just wondering because I live in Canada and most law schools here wont even consider you unless you have a 3.5
I go to the University of Denver(where I got my undergrad degree too). I'm in my third year of law school and I think on average I spendabout 6-7 hours per day studying. I spent more time studying in my first year than I do now. The LSAT is probably the most important because of gradeinflation, but if you have great grades and a very good LSAT score you should do fine. I think the most daunting aspect of law school at least for me is thatI never feel comfortable or happy. I'm in my last year(allegedly the easiest year), I already have a job at a great firm all lined up, and all my barexpenses are covered yet I still get nervous in every class and I still work my butt off.

The hours you work at a firm really depends on that firm's culture. Some firms want their associates on call 24/7, and some just want you to put in thework necessary to get the job done. Some firms make their associates bill 2200+ a year and others may only require 1850.

The hours you work at a firm really depends on that firm's culture. Some firms want their associates on call 24/7, and some just want you to put in the work necessary to get the job done. Some firms make their associates bill 2200+ a year and others may only require 1850.
So then its wrong to assume one will HAVE to work 12+ hours a day once they finish law school? I've always heard that one has to "paytheir dues" out of law school and work like crazy for their first couple of years. BTW, which kind of law have you found most interesting? Are there anyschools which teach sports law, allowing a law-grad to become a player agent upon graduation?

It's not bad, nothing like undergrad though. Your first year is hard simply because your brain will be forced to think of things in ways you never reallydid. But with all the horror stories of 1L, you'll likely work your butt off and notice that it really isn't that difficult. 2L year was the hardestfor me, as I think I got a bit complacent. 3L is nothing, by then it's second nature. Also by then you're gonna stress off the Bar and getting a job.

Law school ain't all that bad imo.

The hours you work at a firm really depends on that firm's culture. Some firms want their associates on call 24/7, and some just want you to put in the work necessary to get the job done. Some firms make their associates bill 2200+ a year and others may only require 1850.
So then its wrong to assume one will HAVE to work 12+ hours a day once they finish law school? I've always heard that one has to "pay their dues" out of law school and work like crazy for their first couple of years. BTW, which kind of law have you found most interesting? Are there any schools which teach sports law, allowing a law-grad to become a player agent upon graduation?
It really depends. At the firm I'm going to work at most of the associates work from about 8:00-6:00, but some work 9:00-7:00. Keep in mindthat if you have projects that are due you may have to put in 14+ hour days but that doesn't mean that you will work those kind of hours everyday. I'minterested in either Public Finance or Corporate work. Some law schools have classes for sports law but law school teaches you how to think like a lawyer. What this means is that law school teaches you the basics but you learn what you need to know by hands on training.

i thought about trying to be a sports agent but i am at a 3.7 GPA and do not like school that much. but i was interested a lot....

If you want to go to law school, get a good GPA and a good LSAT score. Those two numbers will account for 90% of your application. Extracurriculars,leadership, etc. matter to some extent but nowhere to the degree of GPA and LSAT. Law school admissions isn't like business school admissions, where workexperience, leadership, etc. are much more important.

I love these threads. There should be an official "I want to go to law school" thread where we help each other out with the journey of going to andgraduating from law school.
laugh.gif

why do they say its hell
Where do I start?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
)
Which law school do you attend? How many hours a day do you have to study? How many hours a day will you have to work once you become a lawyer? What is more important in the US, GPA or LSAT? Just wondering because I live in Canada and most law schools here wont even consider you unless you have a 3.5
I go to a top school in nyc,.

I'm in class from 9-5 with a 1 hour break everyday (taking 5 classes this semester, 1 just ended) but i study about 3-4 hours a night after.

When you're first starting out you're going to have to pull 50-80 hour work weeks, typically 6 days a week. Do the math.

A really good LSAT score can cause schools to overlook a bad gpa. more so than vice versa. My lsat was stronger than my gpa, but i wasnt a bad student eitherway.

And yea, depending where you go to school, the grading curve can either be a blessing or a burden in disguise.

So then its wrong to assume one will HAVE to work 12+ hours a day once they finish law school? I've always heard that one has to "pay their dues" out of law school and work like crazy for their first couple of years. BTW, which kind of law have you found most interesting? Are there any schools which teach sports law, allowing a law-grad to become a player agent upon graduation?

You dont have to go to law school to become a sport's agent. Its just easier if you do. The key is becoming certified by the various leagues like MLB, NBA,and NFL. Sport Management World Wide offers a course to get you certified which is how Lebron James got one of his boys to be his agent. I originally wanted tobe an agent but i figured it wasnt worth it. Take Drew Rausenhaus for example. He has his own agency which is pretty much full of 1st and 2nd round draft picksbut including him theres only like 4 other people that work there and 1 is his brother. The only people youre gonna get are people that are fighting to makethe team assuming you get them.

Back
Top Bottom