• Both!

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • None!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I bought the Wind Waker bundle, not really feeling the other titles. Probably just go with the traditional Super Mario Bros. U 
eyes.gif

Bruhs if we get this MK8 tournament going thats a $60 come up
$5 a piece for a 12 player race :pimp:
:evil: im goin IN

5 Reasons Mario Kart 8’s Online Matters
...and stick around for one more thing we noticed about the GamePad.

by Jose Otero APRIL 30, 2014

People have wanted more options and fun ways to play Mario Kart for years. With the latest installment, it looks like Nintendo is paying attention. We already posted some detailed hands-on impressions back in early April, but Nintendo recently pulled back the curtain on a few new details for its next big kart racer.

Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach -- a counterpart to Metal Mario that’s totally pink! -- join the races of Mario Kart 8 along with two new items: The first is called Crazy 8, which is the spiritual successor to Mario Kart 7’s Lucky 7. The second is called the Super Horn, an item that emitted a sonic blast around my kart. This pulse can knock out other racers or ward off Green, Red, and Blue Shells. Nintendo finally has a counter measure to the dreaded Blue Shell, but the Super Horn was described as a rare item. During my eight races in Mario Kart 8, I only picked it up once.

Nintendo mentioned that Mario Kart 8 would support voice chat in lobbies for games with friends only, So I guess you won’t have much to say while you race, but there’s still plenty cool things to talk about. Outside of these smaller details, here’s what stood out to me from Mario Kart 8’s online offerings.

Robust User-Made Tournaments
Nintendo described tournaments as one of the bigger features in Mario Kart 8, as a representative walked me through the process. A player will select an icon and input a name for it when they Create-a-Tournament. Next, you can select rules: Change the speed of the race (50cc, 100cc, 150cc) whether you want to allow racing as teams or even multiple rounds to decide a winner.

Players can also set if a tournament is public or restricted to friends. Other tweaks included restricting control schemes used in a race, whether computer players can fill in empty slots, and even vehicle types (kart, bike, or ATVs) allowed in the race. Mario Kart 8's deep tournament mode can even takes player ratings into account -- you can set up a race so only players who achieved a certain online rank can join. Once a tournament is created, you have a number code to easily share with your friends, or it can be discovered publically via search.

Mario Kart 8 supports daily, weekly, or monthly recurring tournaments. You can even set start and end times. So, a player could host a race for friends that occurs every Sunday night between 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. PT. But why stop there? You can set a tournament that has a specific start and end date, or even a number of races allowed within a set time.

…You Can Pick Items Sets or Turn Them Off
Nintendo Producer Hideki Konno and Director Kosuke Yabuki hinted that item customization would be a part of Mario Kart a while back. Whenever you create a tournament, you can choose which item sets are allowed in a race. Players can choose between: all items, shells only, bananas only, mushrooms only, bob-ombs only, no items, and Frantic Mode – which Nintendo described as a higher frequency of powerful items like Lightning Bolts, Bullet Bills, and possibly Blue Shells. Frantic mode sounds maddening, but with the right people it could also be fun.

Edit Replays with Simple Tools in Mario Kart TV

Mario Kart 8 records every race that you participate in, and retains the events of the last 12 you competed in on the Wii U itself. These replays save everything that happened in the match, so you can use simple editing tools to tweak certain parameters. Don’t think of these replays as finalized video, but gameplay footage you can quickly edit in Mario Kart TV. But this isn’t a complex editing system. By tweaking certain parameters, you can focus on specific drivers and moments. The end result is a finished video that focuses on action, big hits, items, or drifting. Finished video clips are 30, 45, or 60 seconds. You can also render a highlight reel to display the full race and then...

…Mario Kart TV Outputs Highlight Reels to Miiverse and YouTube!

Once a highlight film is edited, you can output a video to Miiverse or YouTube in HD. Nintendo wouldn’t give me specifics as to whether that video was 720p or 1080p, but regardless it was surprising. Players sign up with a Google Account and, while it’s uploading, you can edit a Miiverse post with stamps. We weren't shown how long the process would take, but you can share footage with your friends on the internet.

Battle Mode Returns, But with Some Changes
Battle Mode is back, but Nintendo explained that it would be a little different. Instead of arenas, the developers decided to take new and existing courses and re-engineer them for Battle Mode’s frantic style of play. I played a quick match on Moo Moo Meadows, and I consider this was a positive change. But I also though the controls for pulling a U-turn to chase another player could use a little improvement. Battle mode replays can also be edited and shared by Mario Kart TV.

…the GamePad Split-Screen

During my demo, I used the Wii U Pro Controller to glide around S-curves and up-and-over ramps. But then I glanced over at the GamePad, and I saw it mirrored the same four-player split-screen that was on the television. This isn't a huge surprise considering we raced in a two-player split-screen a few months ago, but at least now we know for sure. Nintendo representatives confirmed the GamePad would always mirror the TV in local play.

$5 a piece for a 12 player race
pimp.gif

devil.gif
im goin IN
Inb4 arguments about the game settings. Do people use Venmo? Thats a good payment method :nerd:
i was thinking we pool it in a paypal account
so we all send it to one person
then that one person disperses it to the winner
but im down for whatever honestly

the tournament settings are CRAZY
u can pretty much customize a race anyway u want

Last edited:
Im gonna have to get some practice in, I cant just be giving away money
laugh.gif

$5 a piece for a 12 player race
pimp.gif

devil.gif
im goin IN
Inb4 arguments about the game settings. Do people use Venmo? Thats a good payment method :nerd:

Im gonna have to get some practice in, I cant just be giving away money :lol:
quick question
my wii and wii u are in another room
my wifi for my wii is super strong but my wii u BARELY connects
and if it does it times out
any of u guys have this problem????
thinking about getting a wired connection for my wii u

Mario Kart is gonna be a problem, I'm gonna join in on the the tournament you guys wanna set up but I gotta get my practice in first :lol:

Now I can get Wii Party U, kind of wanted Mario & Sonic Olympic games but I read that that choice is only for Europe and whatnot.

May 30th needs to get here quicker. Right after that is E3 also, it's gonna be a great time for Nintendo fans.

I have Child of Light (great game) to hold me over until Kart.

Everytime Nintendo Does a Direct I feel happy with my Purchase choice of a console. They keep me entertained and Informed. Also

Child of Light is just great comfy gameplay

IGN HAS HEARD RUMOURS NINTENDO WILL BE UNVEILING NEW HARDWARE AT E3
MAY 1, 2014

IGN editor Jose Oter says that he has heard rumours that Nintendo will be showcasing new hardware at E3 in June. IGN co-founder, Peer Schneider, backed up the claim saying that he has heard from multiple sources that Nintendo intends to show something new.

“We’ve heard rumors that Nintendo might be showing hardware at E3,” IGN editor Jose Otero said on the latest episode of Nintendo Voice Chat.

“They’re absolutely going to show new hardware this year,” the outlet’s co-founder, Peer Schneider added. “No doubt in my mind that something… ‘Cause I’ve heard from multiple people now. I’ve heard from someone who used to be at Nintendo, I’ve heard it from somebody on the third-party front.”

NINTENDO
NEW NINTENDO PATENT SHOWS PORTABLE SYSTEM WITH INTERCHANGEABLE CONTROLS
MAY 1, 2014

A Nintendo patent has been discovered which shows off a portable system, but with interchangeable controls. The diagram shows that buttons can easily be switched and replaced. Being able to easily replace the controls with other parts means that you could quite easily add a second analogue stick for a game that utilises two, such as Monster Hunter or Resident Evil. You can read more about the device here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=110215855&postcount=1

Last edited:
Do you guys really think Nintendo will unveil new hardware? I think the 3DS is doing too good to unveil something and although the Wii U is struggling, with MK8, Smash Bros., and the inevitable Zelda title, the Wii U is guaranteed to pick up in sales. I'm not so sure  it would be smart to unveil a new console right now.

Do you guys really think Nintendo will unveil new hardware? I think the 3DS is doing too good to unveil something and although the Wii U is struggling, with MK8, Smash Bros., and the inevitable Zelda title, the Wii U is guaranteed to pick up in sales. I'm not so sure  it would be smart to unveil a new console right now.
New Hardware? Yes. Nintendo has been regrretting the lack of the second thumb stick on the 3DS for a while now so a change up in the layout would fix things but may alienate current owners.

New Console? Wii U is almost 2 years old and showing a new one off with do them NO favors with the public. It would be a PR disaster. The system just needs more games for that COD kid generation and all. More online crap that people eat up

Speaking of a second thimbstick, did the circle pad pro ever makie it's way to the US? I remember I had thought about importing one but wasn't sure if it would work with my 3DS ad really wasn't feeling that price.

Buy Mario Kart 8 off eshop or retail, get a game for free

If you buy the game at retail or on the eShop, and register it on Club Nintendo, you can get a free game from the eShop! Bundle and LE copies included! 

Games for NA :

- Pikmin 3
- New Super Mario Bros. U
- The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
- Wii Party U

If you live in Europe 

Back
Top Bottom