• Both!

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • None!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since we're literally 49 days away until the release of Super Mario Odyssey, let me just throw a big question at you guys in relation to this.

When it comes to a Super Mario game, what style do you prefer?

Do you prefer the pure platforming style of play in a Super Mario game, i.e. constant jumping obstacles? OR do you prefer the exploration style of play in a Super Mario game, i.e. 64 and Sunshine where you moved around a big level that has multiple ways to finish and replayability?

Personally for me, I love the exploration sandbox stuff more than the platforming stuff.

My first Super Mario game was Super Mario World, but I didn't love it b/c of the amount of obstacles for Mario, Luigi and Yoshi to jump through in each level...........I loved it for the world map and the multiple routes that you can unlock whenever you complete certain levels.

Hell to follow up my SNES fun, my favorite Super Mario game on the SNES was Super Mario RPG over Super Mario World........and that was because it was the first Super Mario game where Mario did more than just jump through obstacles in a platforming manner. There was actual exploring involved in comparison to the previous Super Mario games before.

And SM 64 will forever be my most favorite in my childhood days of the N64.

And to be honest, Super Mario Galaxy also did the exploration stuff as well DESPITE having more "smaller sized levels" for a linear style of play. I prefer Galaxy 1 over 2 because of that reason since Galaxy 2 basically stripped the exploration and story away FOR PURE PLATFORMING.

I liked Galaxy 1 more than 2

Word, I don't get the hyped for Galaxy 2. I get it from a pure platformer perspective, but Super Mario 3D World does a better job at being a pure platforming game than Galaxy 2 does............Galaxy 2 looks like a DLC version of Galaxy 1 with the story stripped away.

Maybe I'm just not a pure platforming gamer......I mean no respect to SMB 1, but I preferred SMB 3 and SM World over the original since it was more than just jumping obstacles.

I mean, it didn't say in the "Mario fandom handbook" that you have to love pure platforming to be a Mario fan.

In all honesty, my idea for this discussion came from this recent Reddit thread

Last edited:
The Super Mario 64 style of game play is what I prefer and that is my favorite Mario of all time. I'll always remember the first time seeing the demo at Toys R Us and being in complete amazement.

Switch owners, how do you like the system so far? Considering getting one since more stock is available.

Switch owners, how do you like the system so far? Considering getting one since more stock is available.
I bought it at launch exclusively for BOTW and it was 100% worth it. Playing it on the TV, laying back on the couch playing it in handheld mode, at the airport/on flights, etc. Really a great system all around. I don't game as much as I used to which is why I haven't really checked for any of the other games, but I'm sure if I did I'd have more good things to say about it. If you're into Zelda and Mario games, Super Mario Oddyssey coming out next month and BOTW should keep you occupied for a long while, not to mention all of the other titles available/set to release.

I bought it at launch exclusively for BOTW and it was 100% worth it. Playing it on the TV, laying back on the couch playing it in handheld mode, at the airport/on flights, etc. Really a great system all around. I don't game as much as I used to which is why I haven't really checked for any of the other games, but I'm sure if I did I'd have more good things to say about it. If you're into Zelda and Mario games, Super Mario Oddyssey coming out next month and BOTW should keep you occupied for a long while, not to mention all of the other titles available/set to release.
Hmmm odyssey seems like a great reason to buy..I also wanna play street fighter

100% worth it, especially now. BOTW is a guaranteed classic and Super Mario Odyssey is literally 40+ days away from being released.

This is the best time to get it, especially to set you up for Odyssey's release.

Nintendo gonna miss out on some big $ if they don't do some sort of odyssey bundle or special controllers

Switch still not worth it imo and I'm a day 1 owner.. New Mario will help with this problem lol

Thinking maybe of trading my PS4 Pro for one. Just not sure if I want to commit to Switch full-time though.

Kinda wild how the Switches are sitting everywhere but come a couple months from now parents are going to be (literally) fighting over them in stores :lol:

Kinda wild how the Switches are sitting everywhere but come a couple months from now parents are going to be (literally) fighting over them in stores :lol:

There are tons of used copies of Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle in Gamestops and Best Buys everywhere........are you surprised? It seems the Ubisoft 3rd party Mario hype wasn't big enough

It's good gaming season once odessey drops it's a wrap for seeing switches..

I'll be on destiny 2 till then time to show my PS4 some attention

There are tons of used copies of Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle in Gamestops and Best Buys everywhere........are you surprised? It seems the Ubisoft 3rd party Mario hype wasn't big enough
I get why they're sitting I just think its wild how demand for anything and everything jumps off 100x come holiday seasons

Gotta go against the grain here and say I prefer Mario platforming. From the original Donkey Kong arcade back in the day to Galaxy 1 & 2, Super Mario World 3D, etc.; the evolution of control, rhythm, creativity, complexity, design and embrace of pure fun, is truly something to marvel at. Levels like Champion's Road in 3D World and Grandmaster Galaxy in Galaxy 2, are lessons in God-Tier platforming design (I will concede that exploration is necessary and fun to unlock these levels, so I'm not against that kind of gameplay. I think it's a nice supplement to the platforming.)

Conquering those damn challenges releases all types of video game euphoria. They're Nintendo at their finest, utilizing everything they've learned over the decades and straight stylin on the rest of the industry. Nintendo are just masterful game makers man. Gotdamn geniuses.

Last edited:
Respect for a contrasting opinion, infamouserror infamouserror

I was actually waiting for someone to offer that opinion, considering that a majority of us herald Super Mario 64 or Super Marion Sunshine at a high plateau amongst the Mario games......it is nice to see the reasoning of the "pure platformer" POV.

That being said, I've always had one major gripe about the Super Mario Galaxy games DESPITE the overall quality of the game..........the camera control. I get what they're trying to do with the auto-camera movement, which is an improvement over the god awful camera angles from Mario 64, but man........you're on a level where you a spherical platform, but the camera doesn't even adjust itself when you're on the opposite end of the spherical platform......basically the camera displaying your shadow. That isn't fun to me, and it makes the platforming gameplay a bit annoying. They probably did that for "difficulty purposes," but it is just plain ******ed IMO. They should've just gave us an option to make the camera consistently follow Mario at a certain camera angle NO MATTER WHAT, instead of forcing us to "look at his shadow" when you're on the opposite end of a spherical platform.

super mario world is my goat mario game in all honesty

No disagreement here, one of things I'll be anticipating when I finally get my SNES Classic in my hands later this month. (Super Mario RPG is still my GOAT for SNES Mario games)

In terms of a 3D successor, Super Mario 3D World always felt like it was the true sequel to the original Super Mario World........I don't own the game personally (I don't own a Wii-U), but when I played the game at a friend's house......I got the same experience from 3D World that I got from the original Super Mario World when I was kid.

But I cannot wait for Odyssey, the return to the sandbox freelance movement levels in Mario games is something well missed. Only downside, I heard there will be no "hub world/hub environment" for Odyssey this time around. I mean Super Mario Galaxy 2 was the first 3D Mario game with no hub world........but eh, I think I'll live with it after seeing all the gameplay footage for Odyssey.

Went into Gamestop and was tempted to get a Switch bundle with Zelda.

Need to read up more lol.

Back
Top Bottom