Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

AF Mango :emoji_eyes:
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 8.09.32 PM.png

I use a Garmin Running Dymanics pod. Clips onto the back of your shorts and gives you cadence, vertical oscillation, ground contact time, ground contact time balance (left vs. right). It also has an accelerometer which attempts to track distance when you're running on the treadmill, but it's only kind of accurate when I'm running easy, it's way off when I'm doing a workout.

I've thought about trying Stryd but I use more of a HR based philosophy, haven't given power based training much thought
I have the same pod. Always wondered about the accuracy. Can't beat the form factor though and the battery lasts so long.

General running question for you guys with regards to seeing gains...

Should the area of focus be size of stride, cadence or speed? Sure they all go hand in hand but what’s best to really dig down and fine tune things? Maybe the better question would be which should be prioritized for the others to be self fulfilling?

Hips + change of pace. I've seen my cadence increase from 160 to 175, side increase by 60cms and run 1:16 half marathons back to back weekends in terrible conditions during the best 5 months training period of my life. During that time I was doing a hips routine 3 times a week + my pace was anywhere from 9:30 per mile to 6:30 per mile depending on the type of run e.g. recovery, tempo, long run.

Hips + change of pace. I've seen my cadence increase from 160 to 175, side increase by 60cms and run 1:16 half marathons back to back weekends in terrible conditions during the best 5 months training period of my life. During that time I was doing a hips routine 3 times a week + my pace was anywhere from 9:30 per mile to 6:30 per mile depending on the type of run e.g. recovery, tempo, long run.
It’s amazing how much hips can make a difference; that and glutes.

I took the Tempo Next % out for a first run today and was really impressed with the ride. I supinate and land on my forefoot and the placement of the AirPods work perfectly with my foot strike.

I’ve seen some of the negative reviews and couldn’t disagree more. These are a great shoe for me; however, that may not be true for everyone. I think it comes down to foot strike. Some reviewers claim they couldn’t activate the AirPods. They have to be landing heel first. If you land on your forefoot you can activate them. I’m not heavy at only 140 lbs so you can be light and still get a pop from the AirPods.

For comparison, I ran the same run in the Zoom Fly 3 on Tuesday and averaged 25 seconds slower per mile with a higher average HR. I also ran the same route yesterday in an old pair of the VF Flyknit and averaged 13 seconds slower per mile with a higher HR.
These seem to be the real deal. I hate to train in the VF or AF as I want them to feel lighter and faster on race day so these seem to bridge the gap.
60818115-FF61-4EE4-A962-ABE3041DB678.jpeg

I took the Tempo Next % out for a first run today and was really impressed with the ride. I supinate and land on my forefoot and the placement of the AirPods work perfectly with my foot strike.

I’ve seen some of the negative reviews and couldn’t disagree more. These are a great shoe for me; however, that may not be true for everyone. I think it comes down to foot strike. Some reviewers claim they couldn’t activate the AirPods. They have to be landing heel first. If you land on your forefoot you can activate them. I’m not heavy at only 140 lbs so you can be light and still get a pop from the AirPods.

For comparison, I ran the same run in the Zoom Fly 3 on Tuesday and averaged 25 seconds slower per mile with a higher average HR. I also ran the same route yesterday in an old pair of the VF Flyknit and averaged 13 seconds slower per mile with a higher HR.
These seem to be the real deal. I hate to train in the VF or AF as I want them to feel lighter and faster on race day so these seem to bridge the gap.
60818115-FF61-4EE4-A962-ABE3041DB678.jpeg

I've hit 50 miles in my Tempos and I ditto everything you've said. Feel and am faster compared to when I run in my Zoom Fly 3s definitely and the zoom air units really give me an extra pop.

Last edited:
My Tempo Next% came in yesterday and I ran in them last night and this morning. I’d say I’m pretty amateur to the runners in this particular thread, so not sure my review will benefit. Good and bad, so I’m neutral I guess, but not giving up on the shoe.

Out of the box, they’re a beauty. Walking around in them is lush comfort with Zoom Pods and React. Running in them is where it shifted for me to comfort minus the lushness.

As with any new running shoe, unless you’re coming from something very similar there’s a learning curve or adjustment period. My daily running shoe is the Nike Infinity Run. I’ve logged 800+ miles since the release and thoroughly enjoy it. Going back to a plated shoe in the Tempo Next% instantly reminded me of when I first started running in the VFFK4% and the Zoom Fly 3. Even reminiscent of my harder runs in those shoes, sometime painful.

It wasn’t until recently I really became aware of my heel strikes, stride and gait all while trying to shave time off. In the Infinty Run I was able to crank things a little more with less pain than the Tempo Next%.
Long story short, before the pandemic I was averaging about between 8:30/8:45 per mile. Running pretty consistently since March in the Infinity Run I’ve been able to shave almost a minute off of that by mixing up routes, distances and speed.

Boy was I in for a treat yesterday in my first run. I was successful in staying under the 8min/mile which i call the “Speed Force” but I was the noisiest thing on the greenway! My focus was shifted from my music and the run to trying to minimize the thuds I was making with each step. Being a flat footed heel striker probably exacerbated the sound I was making. The right strike and step that works on the Infinity Run (for me) doesn’t work here. The pods are more stiff so I could feel slight shin tightness. On the upswing, I did notice my cadence was in the 180s but my HR was less than 150bpm. Usually in my runs with the Infinity Run when I have a high cadence my HR closer to 160bpm, so I think I was really focusing on my landing, trying to make less noise and trying to maximize the Zoom pod propulsion/cushion of react.

Oddly enough for me, it seems if I made this my daily trainer, I’d probably be even faster in the Infinity Run. The only thing that worries me is if daily running in them would cause plantar fasciitis like the VFFK4% did for me. I logged my fastest times in that shoe two years ago, but I paid for it. I’ve hit those same times in the Infinity Run without any pain this year, so it’s probably my landing/stride that needs work.

I feel like I’m rambling, so I’ll wrap it up. Still going to practice in them, just at slower speeds to see if I can improve my form and in turn my time overall.

A0E6EA86-8FBA-4A11-84F4-5CC813E22FDF.jpeg
6F2295E8-9174-4481-AD3A-4135CAF92561.jpeg
6403CCDB-84FA-4DC4-B655-47AD62241F4B.jpeg

Nice reviews lately.

Not sure if it’s placebo or not but some exact pace and mileage for the first runs of the EM VFN% and TN% - 4 miles at a 7:10 pace.

Run felt better in the Tempos though as I had a hot spot in the VFN% but could have just been the socks.

Gonna test these out more but I’m loving the tips about focusing on other things. Don’t really train for running I just run. Use the Peloton and lift daily as well but I want to improve on my times. Can’t seem to get cadence at the optimal 180 and range from 160-170 and for HR I’m just using my Apple Watch so numbers may be skewed.

working on just really using easy runs but tbh it’s hard for me to just push it back, seems backwards but I know it works.

Any tips? Still shooting for a 5k under 20. Doesn’t sound like much though compared to some of y’all.

Has anyone run in the tempo and alpha? Do they compare similar in feel at all to where if you like one, you'll like the other?

Has anyone run in the tempo and alpha? Do they compare similar in feel at all to where if you like one, you'll like the other?

i think the most misleading thing about the tempos is that people are expecting them to be on levels of the alphafly and that should not be the case

it’s compliment training shoe, and in my opinion shouldn’t be compared to the AF. don’t have a pair but from the reviews and what some members have inputted, the shoes have different feels but that should be expected as one is a race shoe and the other is for training

^^^Agree. I own both and they are nothing alike. I haven't ran in Tempo yet, but I am curious how it is when you run the corners. AF isn't stable when cornering, so I have to slow down a bit.

^^^Agree. I own both and they are nothing alike. I haven't ran in Tempo yet, but I am curious how it is when you run the corners. AF isn't stable when cornering, so I have to slow down a bit.

For cornering in the AF, take quick shorter steps, increase cadence, and get up on your toes (think like you're climbing a steep hill where your heels never touch the ground). This has helped me maintain my pace while running around turns.

I’ve run in both. I have about 13 miles in the AF and just one run in the Tempo Next.

I think the relationship between the AF and the Tempo Next is similar to the VF Next and the Zoom Fly 3. There are similarities between the geometry and features but the top of the line shoes AF and VF Next are much superior and the better option for a marathon.

I’m taking the Tempo out for a long effort tomorrow morning but so far it seems like a great option to get in fast efforts while saving your AF or VF Next for race day. I like that it’s heavier so when I put on the AF it feels like running is more effortless.

Back
Top Bottom