Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

if you can afford them with their short lifespan, train in them for sure, its what the elites train with on a daily basis, its just expensive for shoes that has a suggested ~250-300 miles

the latest ZF also has a carbon fiber plate the past two seasons and thats mainly a daily trainer to accompany the VFs/Next%s

This! I picked up the next% volt when they first came out, but haven't had a race to run in them.
Is anyone in here using the next% on training runs? or should these carbon fiber shoes only be considered race day shoes?

i've been doing a bunch of my speed workouts this cycle in my green next % just to save the legs. i stopped racing in them after the 100 mile mark though.

back in the thread for the first time in a while...can someone give me a TLDR version of the race shoes that nike's been putting out?
Vaporfly4%
Vaporfly4Flyknit
Vaporfly Next..etc?
Saw the alphafly's came out...is there anything that came out that im missing?
how do these all perform and what is the general preference?

it’s a pretty vague request, but I’ll try.

4% was named just that because studies showed that it improved your times by 4%. The midsole stayed the same, but they released a quasi-successor that had a knit (flyknit) upper. The shoes perform the same,and it’s mostly up to what fit the runner preferred.

next% has an improved midsole, but no flyknit option, other than a short lived flyknit upper that was on NikeID. The shoe is improved over the 4%

alphafly is the new shoe that just released, and it is what was worn when the 2 hour mark was broken in an “unofficial race”.

there is really very few negative written about any of the shoes. There is a reason they are insanely popular.

next% has an improved midsole, but no flyknit option, other than a short lived flyknit upper that was on NikeID. The shoe is improved over the 4%

took some time to go through the thread...saw some claims that the next% was more durable than the previous 4%?
Any thoughts on that?

they can have it as long as they dont touch the gyakusou VFs

anyone know when those are releasing?

My guess is the summer or at earliest in April. There's a new Gyakusou collection releasing sometime next week (I'm guessing) that's all apparel and it's apparently the Holiday collection? (from someone in Jun Takahashi's circle not me) and the colors don't match the vaporfly colorway so I'm guessing its for the Spring/Summer collection.

appreciate the info

im always looking forward to the new season of gyakusou gear

Is the tempo release gonna be anything like the Alpha fly? Can we expect the same type of hype as those pretty much impossible to get or will they be more available?

Whoa, NIKE my gawd
A8497188-8A38-4AC7-88BE-FEF879FE81C7.jpeg

IMG_1623.JPG

LSD run (with LHR) today in my old reliable VF2s. They now have over 500mi on them! This was my first run at this distance with lowHR training. Averaged 145BPM. It's funny just two weeks ago, all I cared about was my pace and trying to average mid-to-high 6 minute/mile. My HR for those runs ranged from the mid170-mid180s. Those runs were "forced", as in I was really trying to run fast to get faster. It was almost like I was racing my "ghost" self from a previous session. Now, instead of looking at my Garmin at my pace/average pace to speed it up and work harder, I look at it for my HR and slow down to get in the low140s/high130s lol

Most recently, I stumbled across lowHR training, so I'm experimenting with it. I have four of these type of runs under my belt. What I've noticed so far is that I'm getting better at controlling my HR. I certainly don't feel as tired compared to 6-8milers at my previous pace.

Runs like these get somewhat boring, but they allow me to appreciate the outdoors. They also allow me to think a lot. I was reminiscing back to my first marathon "training" when I didn't know WTH I was doing. I didn't have an HR monitor nor did I know my pace, or even distance at the time. I just researched my routes beforehand and logged it that way on my calendar. What I certainly remember was training and running at easy efforts over long distances (maybe 60mi weeks) consistently with no speed work at all. I started training about one month prior to the big race.

Connecting the past to the present. I realized that, in hindsight, I trained the "right way" after all (sans my bad form and major heel striking at the time lol). Since then, I took a LONG break from races, so I just ran to stay fit/healthy. Since I wasn't running any races, I just focused on individual runs and on lowering my all time average pace on the Nike Running app. Now that I'm training for races again with more knowledge and experience, I know what I need to work on to be the best runner that I can be.

Last edited:
awesome job! How some of you manage to run 10 plus miles on a track baffles me. I get bored af 😆.

Ah, that was just to stretch and warm up. I was in a park and around a lake for that one. Lol

My limit on a track is ~10-12

running in the park makes it easier for me

watching other people, their activities, other runners shoes, dogs, ducks/swans, etc... hell jb smoove was just strolling along at the park this morning :lol:

it also helps when you get to drag someone along to talk to them during the run/jog

and now yt suggesting this vid for me :lol:

Inspiring post up there. I’m doing my first half marathon in a month you guys definitely motiving me through these last training weeks!

^^ My gosh those midsoles are humongous. Looks like a dough being smashed.

Back
Top Bottom