Nike Will No Longer Sell to Zappos, Dillard’s & These Big Retailers, Analyst Says

Not gonna lie, have only heard of Zappos. As long as their runners and stuff are still gonna be on roadrunnersports I'm good.

New balance lookin at the news like
2CD69B94-0B86-427F-9DC9-1087A2447852.gif

They are taking the Apple route. Nike is definitely stepping into a luxury realm. They lower end goods are easy to purchase online and their outlet stores will continue to open in more urban, accessible areas. I'm in Northern NJ and there's 3 Nike outlets within a 45 min drive.

I went into a ****'s Sporting Goods store recently and the consumer experience was excellent, store design, spacing, lighting, racks weren't over packed. Compared to Modells, which were cramped dark stores. Those are partners Nike is looking for to continue the brand image.

Footlocker\House of Hoops experience has been pleasant for me recently. No pushy salespeople and the sales have been great.

Nothing beats online shopping, getting the product in a sealed bag knowing no one has ever tried it on is gold.

Their growth potential is definitely in developing markets where Nike is already considered a luxury brand such as in Brazil.

Maybe they should stop giving deals to everyone and their grandma to endorse their products. They will stop losing money then

This will never happen. They aren't selling the sneaker technology, they're selling the winning experience; the Jordan championships, the Mamba Mentality, the social justice.

My friend went to a MBA class at Wharton and the instructors came out in Nike sweatshirts to teach about the Colin Kaepernick campaign.

Last edited:
**** Nike.

Let **** sit on their site for months, lower it by 20%. Then let it sit for another few months, raise the price 10% and put out a 20% clearance code. Then a few month later send them out to outlets for retail.

I wonder how this effects Lapstone and Hammer. I know they are owned by City Blue. Wondering if this means they will stop carrying Nike as well.

Honestly sucks to see City Blue lose its account. They used to have some great sales.

Since Nike is cutting out the middle man, what is the chance that msrp for signature model releases are dropped?

(This is a rhetorical question)

Since they're effectively controlling the distribution chain the likelihood of prices going down is even lower.

As Hahahaha Hahahaha said you can expect more online pricing tomfoolery.

FWIW, I rarely buy Nike product anyway. NB, Saucony, Reebok, Adidas, etc... put out excellent products too.

A lot of AJ1 grails (storm blues, both metallics, and several others) were copped via those city blue sales. I'd love to say those were the good old days before the hype but that isn't really fair. Most people just didn't want those shoes until recently when the culture decided they were HOT.

Malls are dying, and the one thing these stores offered was enabling Nike to have no leasing obligations in most malls and still being in every sneaker store (Mall) in the country. I can't speak to their online experience as I have never purchased via online but I must say that the in-store experience sucks at Footlocker and Footaction. Nobody wants to be pedaled shoe cleaner and shoe laces. Nike will drop them eventually to lock in the customer experience. Not only is Nike one of the best online shopping experiences that exists, they also have a great return policy and in-store experience.

Brownstone Brownstone you are 100% right my G, I'm just saying that as Nike cuts out the middlemen, Footlocker and Footaction will probably be the very last to be dropped.

Nike has such favorable terms with Footlocker, I don't see them dropping Foot Locker. Their House of Hoops are pretty much Nike Stores.

Footlocker will downsize before they loose the Nike account.

Footlocker also carries other brands too. :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

They are taking the Apple route. Nike is definitely stepping into a luxury realm. They lower end goods are easy to purchase online and their outlet stores will continue to open in more urban, accessible areas. I'm in Northern NJ and there's 3 Nike outlets within a 45 min drive.

I went into a ****'s Sporting Goods store recently and the consumer experience was excellent, store design, spacing, lighting, racks weren't over packed. Compared to Modells, which were cramped dark stores. Those are partners Nike is looking for to continue the brand image.

Footlocker\House of Hoops experience has been pleasant for me recently. No pushy salespeople and the sales have been great.

Nothing beats online shopping, getting the product in a sealed bag knowing no one has ever tried it on is gold.

Their growth potential is definitely in developing markets where Nike is already considered a luxury brand such as in Brazil.

This will never happen. They aren't selling the sneaker technology, they're selling the winning experience; the Jordan championships, the Mamba Mentality, the social justice.

My friend went to a MBA class at Wharton and the instructors came out in Nike sweatshirts to teach about the Colin Kaepernick campaign.

from the way you worded your post you’re the type of customer Nike wants
I mean that in a good way

Didn’t know in Brazil that Nikes are considered a luxury brand wow

Last edited:
from the way you worded your post you’re the type of customer Nike wants
I mean that in a good way

Didn’t know in Brazil the Nikes considered a luxury brand wow

Nike is very expensive in South America. And they will definitely be growing internationally, I was shocked to see an outlet store in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

I think Nike has seen how Under Armour in the last 5 years has tanked and diluted the brand.
Nike is carving out its niche even stronger, especially now with Kobe merchandise segment that will inevitably expand into a Jordan Brand.
Annotation 2020-08-25 152452.jpg

Malls are dying, and the one thing these stores offered was enabling Nike to have no leasing obligations in most malls and still being in every sneaker store (Mall) in the country. I can't speak to their online experience as I have never purchased via online but I must say that the in-store experience sucks at Footlocker and Footaction. Nobody wants to be pedaled shoe cleaner and shoe laces. Nike will drop them eventually to lock in the customer experience. Not only is Nike one of the best online shopping experiences that exists, they also have a great return policy and in-store experience.

I have experienced terrible customer service in all of those chain stores. When I go in there I have to hunt someone down for a size.. I’ll be in there picking up sneakers for 10-15 minutes and all they do is look.. when I go in there I’m not even acknowledged because they’re all having a conversation with each other...

if retail stores like that paid by commission or a commission/salary mix I bet my shopping experience would be greater.

At this point why shouldn't the average joe just buy the fakes, cosignment can't even tell the difference. Nike has make it damn near impossible to buy a halfway desirable shoe for retail. I've struck out on literally everything this year and I was on the apps and sites when #$%% went live. Shoegame is a joke these days where paying resell is basically to be expected. Irrelevant rant, but i been on a #$%# nike campaign this year.

Last edited:
From a Company/Shareholder viewpoint, it makes perfect sense. They control the distribution channels for those companies. Why should they keep selling to the middle man, when they can just sell direct to consumer?

Plus Nike has been raising the retail prices on most shoes. In this time of Covid, more and more companies are being more aggressive and cutting costs anyway they can.

Unfortunately, from a Consumer perspective, this will be bad for loyal customers. It already is hard enough to get a pair you want, and not paying resell when they sell out.

I really hope they start streamlining and make it easier for us to buy releases we really want.

I've had a Nike Account since like 2004, you would think Nike would treat us loyal consumers better. Instead resellers are making a killing.

Yes, I'm still salty from not getting my hands on any Kobe 5 protos this week.

I could care less about the “retail shopping Experience” that is such a stupid Term just give me what I came for and let me get the hell out the store
I don’t need a fake smiles or hellos
I agree with you. I am talking about actively bad though, like ignoring or pretending they don't see you. I get that all the time at these sneaker spots and other stores. LAZINESS. Nike can't control that if they don't own the stores.

Back
Top Bottom