Nike Air Trainer 3 retro's over the years

TBT

That Blue!!!

AF7A4A4F-D7F2-4366-89EF-C948BB164360.png

Can't really tell if it's the fact that the new shoes have less gloss or if the color is different but those USA's look cop worthy.

The blue isn't quite the same but pretty good nonetheless. Aside from the red outlined swoosh, the greatest tragedy is that the plastic is not white, but a light grey almost. The OG Navy is one of my 2 grails (other is Jordan 4 WC), so while I was disappointed that they didn't just do the OG, the Navy was a must cop for me and still provides enough nostalgia to have and wear.

The blue isn't quite the same but pretty good nonetheless. Aside from the red outlined swoosh, the greatest tragedy is that the plastic is not white, but a light grey almost. The OG Navy is one of my 2 grails (other is Jordan 4 WC), so while I was disappointed that they didn't just do the OG, the Navy was a must cop for me and still provides enough nostalgia to have and wear.
I would have never noticed if someone didn't point this out. The blue is indeed a different shade. The OG USA had a white cage and not this grey cage. The blue color is Indigo on the OG and the new blue is Midnight Navy. The new USA is a blessing because it sets me up for a custom of the OG medicine ball tan with that grey cage it has already on there I don't need to paint over it. The midsole is already done for me as well with the Midnight Navy so all I got to do is paint over the leather and the red text. They aint retroing that 2001 Medicine Ball anytime soon so I gotta DIY.

I would have never noticed if someone didn't point this out. The blue is indeed a different shade. The OG USA had a white cage and not this grey cage. The blue color is Indigo on the OG and the new blue is Midnight Navy. The new USA is a blessing because it sets me up for a custom of the OG medicine ball tan with that grey cage it has already on there I don't need to paint over it. The midsole is already done for me as well with the Midnight Navy so all I got to do is paint over the leather and the red text. They aint retroing that 2001 Medicine Ball anytime soon so I gotta DIY.

The OG medicine ball had a pure white cage; all of the OGs used the same plastic components. Of course they discolored/yellowed over time. On both of my medicine balls the cage came "bone" which is also annoying....should be pure white.

The OG medicine ball had a pure white cage; all of the OGs used the same plastic components. Of course they discolored/yellowed over time. On both of my medicine balls the cage came "bone" which is also annoying....should be pure white.

Damn. Didn't notice that either. Maybe Nike is afraid of having to deal with yellowing with an all white sneaker cage because they still haven't figured out a way to prevent that from happening. I am more concerned with how long the midsoles with last before crumbling because at the end of the day, if I want something to be a certain color, I can take care of that myself with some paint.

Nike really messed things up starting with the 2000 medicine ball. Those had a more yellowed/vintage cage, and they’ve since tried to copy that this entire time

As pwguy pwguy said, the originals have always been white. Based.

IoFM3_AaYvNEVLjUCzVXqBGuh5ne0pvKdVZzwvck6q7AHNX_ZGNNycjrH-0u7l22MSJNY46jFTlkZ6e2jgeVn75dPv-vn28g7PTWKQ

And yet the 2000 era regal blue and obsidian navy retros had white cages
1612512423329.jpeg

Oddity for sure.
Bone cage is something I aint even mad at on the meds... can't say the same for those Patriot joints.

Nike really messed things up starting with the 2000 medicine ball. Those had a more yellowed/vintage cage, and they’ve since tried to copy that this entire time

As pwguy pwguy said, the originals have always been white. Based.

IoFM3_AaYvNEVLjUCzVXqBGuh5ne0pvKdVZzwvck6q7AHNX_ZGNNycjrH-0u7l22MSJNY46jFTlkZ6e2jgeVn75dPv-vn28g7PTWKQ

And yet the 2000 era regal blue and obsidian navy retros had white cages
1612512423329.jpeg

Oddity for sure.

Never get tired of seeing these pics! Masterpieces.

Looking to wear the chicago style colorway on the right but scared of crumbling. The midsole is cracking near the toe and they are indeed DS and unworn, which ain't really a good thing. Is there any percentage chance that they are wearable? Fogged air bubbles on the older pairs on the middle and right and the 2014 on the left seems fine. I'd rather not risk the middle pair being crumbled so I doubt I'll try walking in them. I just want to see if the red and black pair will have some cracking but still not completely turn to crumbs but won't attempt a walk with them if its 100 percent going to crumble.
20210224_221046.jpg

Looking to wear the chicago style colorway on the right but scared of crumbling. The midsole is cracking near the toe and they are indeed DS and unworn, which ain't really a good thing. Is there any percentage chance that they are wearable? Fogged air bubbles on the older pairs on the middle and right and the 2014 on the left seems fine. I'd rather not risk the middle pair being crumbled so I doubt I'll try walking in them. I just want to see if the red and black pair will have some cracking but still not completely turn to crumbs but won't attempt a walk with them if its 100 percent going to crumble.
20210224_221046.jpg

Are the middle pair 2001? The '14s should be wearable; I'd go for it. I wear my '14s all the time in regular rotation; not a crack. They're in such good shape I skipped the '19s. I still wear my '09s; only issue is midsole paint chipping. Although yours are DS I think you're fine. Let us know what you decide & how it turns out!

Are the middle pair 2001? The '14s should be wearable; I'd go for it. I wear my '14s all the time in regular rotation; not a crack. They're in such good shape I skipped the '19s. I still wear my '09s; only issue is midsole paint chipping. Although yours are DS I think you're fine. Let us know what you decide & how it turns out!
I actually do not know if the middle pair is from 2001. The listing I bought from stated "2005" but I don't really know of a release of the shoes that occurred in '05. I do still have the box though and maybe it has information that can give me a better idea of which release it is from. I will update on what happens with the red/black AT3 because it should be interesting to see if it will pass this stress test. The other plan is to use the middle pair as a reference for when I attempt to convert the latest Midnight Navy shoe into a 2001 medicine ball by customizing it.

Hmmmm... It seemed somewhat solid. I wonder how many steps it would take before they gave in? I've heard about horror stories of people showing up to events with OG heat and maybe lasting 30 minutes to an hour before they have a trail of midsole bits behind them. I'll wear them tonight and test them. No real reason in putting it off. Maybe this will inspire me to do my first midsole swap...

Back
Top Bottom