NIKE AIR MAG 2015

thumbs up for fellow tacoma owner :D
yeah but you can mod a taco to look like it anyway if you had a mind to.

I just wish the tacoma was still as small as it was back then.

I mean in so much that they are promoting the "unveiling" of 2 cars. The Miari which obviously you will be able to purchase, but unveiling a truck you can't buy?

I mean in so much that they are promoting the "unveiling" of 2 cars. The Miari which obviously you will be able to purchase, but unveiling a truck you can't buy?
Wonder if its a special edition that could be raffled off, maybe signed by the cast or something.

the truck is prolly just a base tacoma with a lift kit and some kc lights tho. its easily done on your own with aftermarket stuff if you like what you see.

I think its cool they are doing a one off as a nod to the anniversary, which is more than we know that nike is doing.

I noticed the statler guy in the video had 2 ties on lol, good attention to detail.

Last edited:
the truck is prolly just a base tacoma with a lift kit and some kc lights tho. its easily done on your own with aftermarket stuff if you like what you see.

I think its cool they are doing a one off as a nod to the anniversary, which is more than we know that nike is doing.

I noticed the statler guy in the video had 2 ties on lol, good attention to detail.

You can also call the 1-877-STATLER and you'll get a voice recording of what they have going on and they tell you where you can see the Tacoma. Very well done.

Here's a comparison of the new Pepsi Perfect bottle from the NYCC. On the right is the bottle released/releasing next week. The bottle on the left was cast from a screen used prop, so it's the original screen used shape/dimensions etc...for all you accuracy nerds.

View media item 1749581

Last edited:

I almost bought the single cab, since it looks closer to the old school version. It didn't ride as smooth as the 4door version and I needed the room.

Last edited:
When Jedi was in here, he mentioned that his Universal source confirmed that Nike has been trying to distance themselves from the BTTF franchise since the 2011 release. Take that for what it's worth. But even though Nike has done some themed shoes in the past, I'm not sure if they needed direct licensing from Universal on any of them. I could be wrong though. But I do think Nike likes to think of themselves as leaders, and not really riding side car on anyones coat tails. I think a lot of you guys are over estimating Nike's "capitalizing on nostalgia" factor. The people at Nike would rather splash with big news of a new tech shoe than a revamped movie prop. My opinion.

But I will say that this pic is dope AF...
I don't know about that....Nike has release multiple BTTF "themed" sneakers with multiple product lines from SB (Dunk's) to 6.0 (also Dunk's) to basketball (hyper dunks)...

I believe the issue is the licensing....technically the Mag's Are a licensed item in which Universal contracted Nike to produce them...the Nike Mag (prototype) is not a Nike product.

Which creates a few hurdles to get through before a retail release can be done....

Nike can produce create and recreate a color way (except that bs Jay Z blue lol) cause you can't own a "concept"...

This is the reason the 11 release was not a retail release but rather an auction with the proceeds going to charity...

Universal licenses some BS company to make official versions for that Halloween costume last year which is the ONLY retail version of what we would call the Mag....it isn't questioned because Universal officially licensed it because I'm assuming Nike and Universal couldn't get on the same page.

Bottom line...I think Nike would love to produce these and sell them...but it's not there product to retro or reproduce...

Much like the Freddy Krug Dunk's or them Gucci foams or Gucci Dunk's (Dunk's are usually the problem) the appearance of copyright is enough to get a product scrapped...but in this case they don't own the product so they are at Universals mercy.

I think we will see some variation of the Nike Mag (which the name is owned by Nike) but it won't look like the BTTF prop which begs the question will the masses still be interested???

I think we will see some variation of the Nike Mag (which the name is owned by Nike) but it won't look like the BTTF prop which begs the question will the masses still be interested???

This right here...

But in contrast to your first statement, the shoes you mentioned Nike released all came before the MAG except the Dunk which dropped in May I think. I'm not saying his source is right or wrong but he did say "since" the MAG and there has only been 1 release since then.

Also are you sure Nike does not own the original prototype? It was designed and created by Nike. The licensing involved would be BTTF specific imagery and verbiage. I could be 100% wrong here but I'm pretty sure Nike does own it. The "retail" version obviously has no swoosh or MAG branding (owned by Nike) but the shape is very off. If Universal owned the proto/original sample I'm guessing the shape would be better. Instead the only thing I think needed licensing is the fact that the box says "Back to the Future Part II". I have a client who works for NBC/Universal in NYC. He says this was the most likely scenario, admittedly not knowing 100% either.

Last edited:
I only speak for myself when I say that I'll be interested in anything that comes out in relation to it, like I've said before I'm just excited that all of these companies are coming out acknowledging it, so if its a direct reference to the movie, then yea I'm in. Bruins are still in the realm of possibility, don't forget Marty didn't wear the Mags all day, he took them off as soon as they followed the cops to Hilldale to retrieve Jennifer, so not only would it be appropriate for 10/21, it'd be a fitting tip of the cap to the entire trilogy. "Hey, take a gander at them moccasins! What kinda skins is them? What's that writin' mean? "Nee-kay"? What is that, some sorta Injun talk or somethin'?"

Didn't Nike include the Doc sunglasses in their promo kit before the '11 Mags, I wouldn't complain if they came out with those again. I'm surprised there hasn't been a sunglasses company getting in on that.

Didn't Nike include the Doc sunglasses in their promo kit before the '11 Mags, I wouldn't complain if they came out with those again. I'm surprised there hasn't been a sunglasses company getting in on that.

Yes! The black box said "It's about time" I think. The sunglasses and a few other items were in there. I haven't been able to find old pics though :smh:

Yes! The black box said "It's about time" I think. The sunglasses and a few other items were in there. I haven't been able to find old pics though
mean.gif
Here we go, not my pics but I found some:

This right here...

But in contrast to your first statement, the shoes you mentioned Nike released all came before the MAG except the Dunk which dropped in May I think. I'm not saying his source is right or wrong but he did say "since" the MAG and there has only been 1 release since then.

Also are you sure Nike does not own the original prototype? It was designed and created by Nike. The licensing involved would be BTTF specific imagery and verbiage. I could be 100% wrong here but I'm pretty sure Nike does own it. The "retail" version obviously has no swoosh or MAG branding (owned by Nike) but the shape is very off. If Universal owned the proto/original sample I'm guessing the shape would be better. Instead the only thing I think needed licensing is the fact that the box says "Back to the Future Part II". I have a client who works for NBC/Universal in NYC. He says this was the most likely scenario, admittedly not knowing 100% either.
Nike was contracted to create a shoe specifically for the movie...the intellectual property sits with Universal as the item was built specifically for this purpose....if Nike had taken an existing shoe then the orginal mold would be there's to reproduce

In much the same way the Batman shoes crafted from the Jordan 7's can not be reproduced and sold (I'm sure Jordan will try and retro at somepoint) as the orginal mold was modified spefcially for the movie which is owned I believe by Warner.

Again there is a difference between putting a "theme" on a shoe and creating a whole new model of a shoe...especially when the property is owned by someone else.

If you read the article that you posted there is a lot of mystery and cloud surrounding the orginal prototypes...where they are...how they functioned...etc...and that's cause Nike was not involved in that part of it....they were contracted to create the mold and Universal took it from there....

As far as those Halloween kicks...trust...if Nike owned the orginal mold they would have 100% came after them for copyright infringement...they would be seen in the same light as fakes...Nike allows them to be sold cause they can't stop it only Universal can...of course they won't allow the Swoosh placement or Nike around the ankle because it's trademarked but the rest of the shoe is fair game...

Nike has shut down countless companies for "borrowing" the Air Force one mold...they would never allow what we refer to as the Mag's to be reproduced minus the branding...

I almost bought the single cab, since it looks closer to the old school version. It didn't ride as smooth as the 4door version and I needed the room.

*Tacoma owner here*
I have a 4wd double cab 6spd manual, and this thing is solid. But I've owned an 83 standard cab and an 85 4runner. Old school yotas FtW..

Remember: Doc travelled beyond oct 21 a few times to see what happens to martin mcfly. He knew that martins sister marlene will be judged for 20 years.

Maybe he had some spare time and bought the shoes in january 2016. : )
nah, marty jr. had the shoes too. power laces in 2015, according to tinker and the mcfly family :smile:

we aren't getting power laces in 2015

Last edited:
eek.gif

Those glasses. I've been MIA. So they've pretty much been confirmed, no? 

Back
Top Bottom