Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

View media item 1926735
The VI is easily in my top 5 and for me personally it's my favorite model. So different than the V's. The holes in the tongue were NEVER done before!

Never forget seeing a "preview" of them when I got that Air Jordan Flight Club calendar off the Wheaties box back in the day.

View media item 1926794

That calendar had lots of IV's & V's that MJ was wearing from Nike promo photos. December was a pic of MJ:

View media item 1926795
It was the 1st "picture" of the VI to be released. There was no internet, no social media, no KICKS magazine, nothing. Just this picture. Blew my mind when I saw them. Was thinking to myself "what are those holes for in the tongue"? "Is that puffy piece on the outside a pump"? (it was during Reebok's time with that tech). Too cool. Love the V's but love the VI's more :smile:

Repped for providing insightful anecdote :pimp:

subscribing again when new pics surface 
sick.gif

Even better pic of the prototype VIs with the rand. Sole was slightly different as well. Much more reminiscent of the V.
That toebox looks really close to the Flight Light's that also released that same year.  Sadly, I went with the Flight Light's instead of the VI's as a kid.  

Glad those didn't come out, I like the toes on the VIs, felt like it brought in the whole bugs bunny thing because the 7s and 8s also didn't have a "rand" on the toe

Last edited:
haha no doubt :lol:
you know, that is a good point.
Spike still irritates me, but in 89 Jordan was just a good young player, and the Knicks/Bulls wasn't a rivalry yet

correct.

I was born in 84 and if i remember correctly, the Bulls/Knicks rivalry didnt kick into high gear until 91-92.

my opinion is that the nike air jordan line peaked with the aj5

the 6 was a step down imo
and the 7 was like :stoneface: to me

:\
I'd agree with your assessment of the V's. They were years ahead of their time. 1990 was a great time to be alive and into kicks. I did, however, also like most of the next 8 or 9 years worth of AJ's. Nothing for me has come close to the V's though. It's the one model I own the most of. 24 total pairs of black/metallics across their 4 different releases, plus multiple pairs of most of the other V releases through the years. Plus different toddler sizes I bought my daughter.

my opinion is that the nike air jordan line peaked with the aj5

the 6 was a step down imo
and the 7 was like :stoneface: to me

:\
I'd agree with your assessment of the V's. They were years ahead of their time. 1990 was a great time to be alive and into kicks. I did, however, also like most of the next 8 or 9 years worth of AJ's. Nothing for me has come close to the V's though. It's the one model I own the most of. 24 total pairs of black/metallics across their 4 different releases, plus multiple pairs of most of the other V releases through the years. Plus different toddler sizes I bought my daughter.

Are you the guy who bought roughly 10 pairs of black/metallics back in 2000? I remember those pics and all kinds of people calling him crazy.

Are you the guy who bought roughly 10 pairs of black/metallics back in 2000? I remember those pics and all kinds of people calling him crazy.

Hey, if it's his favorite shoe F it. I'd have 10 pairs of the 1999 Black Cement 4's, and Black/Metallic Silver Nike Vandals if I could.

Last edited:

Hey, if it's his favorite shoe F it. I'd have 10 pairs of the 1999 Black Cement 4's, and Black/Metallic Silver Nike Vandals if I could.

I totally agree and the black metallic V is actually the shoe I'd do it with :lol:

I've had 6 pairs over the years, still got 3 pairs left and looking to double or triple up come this release :lol:

I totally agree and the black metallic V is actually the shoe I'd do it with :lol:

I've had 6 pairs over the years, still got 3 pairs left and looking to double or triple up come this release :lol:

I feel u dankenstien88 dankenstien88 this is a SUPER double-triple or nothing release. The BM 5's are second favorite Jordan...

Actually, I would say my list goes like this.

1. Black Cement 4's (The UNDISPUTED champion)
2. Black Metallic 5's/Black Infrared 6's
3. Playoff 13's
4. Playoff 11's
5. Playoff 8's

The BM 5's & BI 6's are a tie for second place for me.

They're both equally clean IMO, and I refuse to put either in 3rd place.

Last edited:
I'm one and the same. The black/metallic V is my favorite shoe bar none. And people still call me crazy. LOL.

Of the different black/metallic releases:

I have a size 11 still DS from 1990 that has sole-crumbled, and an 11.5 from 1990 that I wore into the ground then re-dyed black, and those soles actually still look wearable! OG V's were tanks if you actually wore them.

From 2000 I have 6 DS pairs in size 13 and one DS size 12 in an alternate box. I also have a used size 13, which was the only black/metallic pair from 2000 that I ever actually wore. They lasted probably 2.5 years straight before the yellowing became too much. This model was made extremely well compared to the newer ones.

From 2007 I have 8 DS pairs in 13. I have 2 more worn 13s, one of which has yellowed (worn about 1.5 years straight) and one of which still looks pretty decent (worn sporadically since 2010 but always stored in a DARK closet). The 2007s were FLIMSY compared to the 2000s and OGs. Side note - dark storage is really the ONLY way I've ever found that actually seems to work to slow and minimize V yellowing.

From 2011, I have 4 of the "furry" nubuck pairs, all DS and all 13s. Never wore em because obviously I still have a bunch of 07s. But these seem to be constructed better than the 07s. They're just a little heavier. And furry. LOL.

Unfortunately I don't still have the old group pics of the OGs and the 2000s that you remember. With those, I also had pics of a lot of my OG and retro V apparel, but all these pics were on an old hard drive that failed several years ago. I never actually took any pics of the newer releases. But I'm about to move, and might try to take some new pics of all of them when I empty my closets out.

That og durabuck tho, needs to be recreated
I thought the new ones releasing in July were supposed to be Durabuck and not nubuck? Honestly I can't say whether they'll be able to do the same exact OG Durabuck texture (kind of a little "harder" and smoother), but I think the 2000s were the closest to the OGs out of all of them, even though they were a *little* different than the OGs. If they can get at least that quality, though, I'd be happy.

I thought the new ones releasing in July were supposed to be Durabuck and not nubuck? Honestly I can't say whether they'll be able to do the same exact OG Durabuck texture (kind of a little "harder" and smoother), but I think the 2000s were the closest to the OGs out of all of them, even though they were a *little* different than the OGs. If they can get at least that quality, though, I'd be happy.
I'm expecting the material they used on the 2015 Bordeaux 7s.

Back
Top Bottom