Nike Air Jordan Retro 3 OG “Fire Red” 2022

3s and 4s had practically no padding, and the midsole is virtually the same with slight design changes in how the actual midsole is constructed. We didn’t see a significant change in comfort until after the 7. If you say any OG Jordan before then was comfortable, you never wore a pair.

Man, you have some absolutely wild takes in this thread. I had every Jordan from the 4 on up, Flight 89's, Agassis, etc. The 4's and 5's were most definitely comfortable. Both of them had a nice cushy insole. The 6's were a step backwards, and after the 7's, they were hit and miss.

Man, you have some absolutely wild takes in this thread. I had every Jordan from the 4 on up, Flight 89's, Agassis, etc. The 4's and 5's were most definitely comfortable. Both of them had a nice cushy insole. The 6's were a step backwards, and after the 7's, they were hit and miss.
I call that blind nostalgia love, everyone here is apparently affected..

But to clear it up because you came in at the end, thinking I'm saying something I'm not...I said there is really no difference in comfort when comparing OG 3s to recent 3s. Its not night and day. I really don't care who thinks other wise because it not like we can't prove it or not. Its based off actually remembering how they felt to me.

No point is trying to convince people who have only seen pictures of Jordans older than 2000 about comfort. Be cool fellas

My man, you are literally talking to multiple people here who had OG's when they were out, who are telling you that they were comfortable. I know for a fact that rainking rainking and I are like a year apart, and we definitely had these shoes in middle school & high school. I had the black/metallic 5's for basketball camp. We know what we're talking about. Ever think maybe you're just wrong?

EDIT: Just saw your quote on my post. It's not blind nostalgia, dude. I wore crappy Converse and Adidas that absolutely were not comfortable. Flight 89's, Jordan 4's and 5's were worlds different from that era's garbage. They have definitely gutted these newer retros and are slowly making them a little more comfortable over the last few years years.

The AJ 3 Fire Red was my back to school shoe in Fall 88. I wouldn’t say it was comfortable but it certainly wasn’t uncomfortable. Never needed to take them off because they hurt my feet or hurt my pinky toe. There were players who wore tue AJ1 I. 1986/86. World B Free for example. After that no one in the NBA wore the 2/3/4 but Mike. There seem to be an unspoken rule about not giving him the satisfaction of seeing you in his shoe. Then I watched the 1990 NBA finals and was surprised. Jerome Kersey was wearing the fire red air Jordan five the entire series. Reflector tongue. After that I would only see players on the bulls wearing them and then slowly players would get PEs of the nine and above after his first retirement. After he retired and 98 all sorts of veterans and young players were wearing the 14. Then in 2000 it seems like at least five players on every NBA team was wearing the retro Concords.

I had the og black infrared 6’s, and I don’t remember having any issues with the comfort. It’s true Jordan’s got more comfortable over the years but having worn every og model in the 90’s I had 0 issues with any of them, except maybe the 12’s which were rather stiff out the box.

My man, you are literally talking to multiple people here who had OG's when they were out, who are telling you that they were comfortable. I know for a fact that rainking rainking and I are like a year apart, and we definitely had these shoes in middle school & high school. I had the black/metallic 5's for basketball camp. We know what we're talking about. Ever think maybe you're just wrong?

EDIT: Just saw your quote on my post. It's not blind nostalgia, dude. I wore crappy Converse and Adidas that absolutely were not comfortable. Flight 89's, Jordan 4's and 5's were worlds different from that era's garbage. They have definitely gutted these newer retros and are slowly making them a little more comfortable over the last few years years.
You missing my point. #1 I was talking about 3s, and secondly, I was directly comparing the comfort of the OGs and retros being not that much different. But I get it now, blind love :smh::lol:

Now comparing Jordans to Chucks and Adidas Forums, of course they are better. But as fair as shoes in the 80s, Jordans we’re not the pinnacle of comfort like people seem to believe.

Pretty good comparison video. A lot has changed with the 3’s since 2003 when they last used the original air units. It’s pretty evident that the 3’s have gotten narrower over the years which affects the comfort. The OG’s and 94’s had that nice wide ankle area.

The AJ 3 Fire Red was my back to school shoe in Fall 88. I wouldn’t say it was comfortable but it certainly wasn’t uncomfortable. Never needed to take them off because they hurt my feet or hurt my pinky toe. There were players who wore tue AJ1 I. 1986/86. World B Free for example. After that no one in the NBA wore the 2/3/4 but Mike. There seem to be an unspoken rule about not giving him the satisfaction of seeing you in his shoe. Then I watched the 1990 NBA finals and was surprised. Jerome Kersey was wearing the fire red air Jordan five the entire series. Reflector tongue. After that I would only see players on the bulls wearing them and then slowly players would get PEs of the nine and above after his first retirement. After he retired and 98 all sorts of veterans and young players were wearing the 14. Then in 2000 it seems like at least five players on every NBA team was wearing the retro Concords.

I'll be damned, you learn somethin new on NT every day - props for the info BGB23 BGB23 :pimp:

gettyimages-515328020-2048x2048.jpg

That ankle collar just screams comfort, right…

And if you’re saying the midsole or insole played a part, maybe, but there isn’t a drastic difference in recent retros when it comes to the thickness of foot beds lol
F98233F2-2536-4D6E-8374-78622FFEC1E2.jpeg

Attachments

• FC117ACF-C309-4CF2-9ACA-3E914248DEBD.jpeg
    FC117ACF-C309-4CF2-9ACA-3E914248DEBD.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 134
I will say for me, the OG 3's, 4's and 5's were very comfortable. That sleek look from the tongue to the toe is what made the shoe so comfortable along with the premium leather. Your foot would slide in and it really felt amazing. Now with the boot cut (Again 3's are better than what they were) but just fix the EP to what it was in 88. A very thin stripe, raise the ankle back to 3/4 height and that would make it closer to the OG even better than the 94. The 94 had the thick EP around the toe. Maybe Tinker didn't like the way it looked and changed it with the 94, but that change alone would make it look closer to the OG than anything else they could do.

And just think, back in those days, you could get them for $400 for all four pairs on top of them being readily available at every store. Miss those days.
Man. With inflation, that would be about $940 in today’s money before tax. They were priced at $100 then. Today that’s about $235 a pop. That’s more than today’s MSRP. The only difference was, as you said, if you had the the money, you didn’t have to worry about not being able to get them for retail. Prices have actually mostly trailed inflation. The culture is what’s ruined it. Hardly anyone was trying to get loads of one shoe model back then—or spend that kind of money on freaking sneakers. If you knew someone with TWO pairs, it was wild. Like they were RICH.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom