NEW YORK METS 2010 SEASON POST: Collins named New Manager

[h3]
[h3]Collins named new manager of Mets[/h3][h4]Former Astros skipper edged out three other candidates[/h4]
By Anthony DiComo / MLB.com | 11/21/10 5:12 PM EST

• http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/co...21&content_id=16169928&vkey=news_nym&c_id=nym/newyork.mets.mlb.com/images/article/icon_comment.gif);">http://newyork.mets.mlb.c...ticle/icon_comment.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; display: block; padding-left: 18px; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">Comments (3)
  • http://twitter.com/share?_=12903800...amed new manager of Mets&via=mets&related=mlb/platform1.twitter.com/widgets/images/tweet.png);">http://platform1.twitter....dgets/images/tweet.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; display: block; height: 20px; float: left; width: 55px; background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: initial initial; ">http://platform1.twitter....dgets/images/tweet.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; display: block; height: 20px; float: left; line-height: 19px; margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 3px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 8px; background-position: 0px -145px; background-repeat: initial initial; ">/platform1.twitter.com/widgets/images/tweet.png);">http://platform1.twitter....dgets/images/tweet.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; display: block; height: 20px; border-top-width: medium; border-right-width: medium; border-bottom-width: medium; border-left-width: medium; border-top-style: none; border-right-style: none; border-bottom-style: none; border-left-style: none; border-color: initial; color: rgb(42, 112, 144); font-weight: bold; outline-width: medium; outline-style: none; outline-color: initial; background-position: 100% -145px; background-repeat: initial initial; ">2
[*]/newyork.mets.mlb.com/images/news/img_fb_loader.gif);">http://newyork.mets.mlb.c...news/img_fb_loader.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; background-position: 2px 50%; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">[*]http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ymd=20101121&content_id=16169928&vkey=news_nym&c_id=nym/newyork.mets.mlb.com/images/article/icon_print.gif);">http://newyork.mets.mlb.c...article/icon_print.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; display: block; padding-left: 26px; height: 26px; background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">print[*]http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20101121&content_id=16169928&vkey=news_nym&c_id=nym/newyork.mets.mlb.com/images/article/icon_email.gif);">http://newyork.mets.mlb.c...article/icon_email.gif); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; display: block; padding-left: 26px; white-space: nowrap; background-position: 0px -4px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">e-mail

NEW YORK -- In the end, experience and demeanor won out. The Mets have hired Terry Collins to be their next manager, a source confirmed early Sunday evening.

An official announcement could come as soon as Sunday night, after the two sides agree to contract terms. The Mets have yet to comment on the hiring.

Collins, 61, is coming off his first season as Mets' Minor League field coordinator, following jobs managing the Orix Buffaloes of Japan's Central League and the Chinese national team in the World Baseball Classic. Posting a 444-434 record in six years managing the Astros (1994-96) and Angels (1997-99), Collins guided his two big league teams to second-place finishes in five of those six years.

NCoFh9t3.jpg

Terry Collins posted a 444-434 record in six years managing the Astros (1994-96) and Angels (1997-99).  (Koji Watanabe/Getty Images)

He beat out a field that included fellow finalists Bob Melvin, Chip Hale and Wally Backman.

Collins has a familiarity with the Mets, which assuredly helped him in the interview process, and also boasts a strong relationship with new Mets vice president of player development and amateur scouting Paul DePodesta.

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson discussed the decision with his team of executives Sunday after taking time off to attend his father's funeral service earlier in the weekend.
[/h3]

Who the heck is Terry Collins? Is this a joke? Alderson better knows what he's doing.

Well, he was one of four finalists in a long and grueling process, and they went with someone who had experience.

I have trust in the new upper management.

I just wanted the dysfunctional upper management to be gone, managers are extremely over-rated in baseball anyways.

Sandy wants someone that will just control the players that Sandy assembles.

Also Sandy hates bunting so he didn't want a small ball type manager like Wally Backman.

I've been monitoring his stats at 2nd since that is the position he played before he was brought up, but its good to see him continuing to work hard, and I would not mind seeing Murph play 2nd and using Tejada as a late game replacement.

[h3]
[h3]Murph-Castillo competition looming?[/h3]
http://a2.espncdn.com/pro..._calendar_datetime.png); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; position: absolute; left: -28px; top: -5px; width: 50px; height: 59px; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-weight: 700; background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">November, 24, 2010
NOV 24

11:03

AM ET

By Adam Rubin

ny_metspanel2_576.jpg

Icon SMI
Daniel Murphy (left) and Luis Castillo (center) could battle for the starting second base job, leaving Ruben Tejada (right) to mature at Triple-A Buffalo. 

Terry Collins openly suggested Tuesday that Daniel Murphy and Luis Castillo could be in a spring-training competition at second base. If that comes to fruition, Murphy may really emerge as the Mets' second baseman in 2011. 

While it's a stretch to view Murphy in the same terms as Dan Uggla, Collins -- who recently watched Murphy man the position in the Dominican Republic -- sees him at least fitting that profile. And as the analytical folks know, runs produced and runs allowed are equally weighted in those circles. If pitching is the dominant part of runs allowed, we can surmise where second base defense ranks on the priority list. 

Murphy is getting consistent exposure to second base this winter with Aguilas. He is hitting a gaudy .320 with four homers and 22 RBIs in 103 at-bats -- although, clearly, improving his fielding competency at second base is the priority. 

A scout who watched Murphy recently in the Dominican Republic came away impressed with the strides he has made at the position. 

"He was very serviceable," the scout said. "He made all the plays but one. He had a routine groundball go through his legs. But it was no big deal. He turned a couple of double plays. He moved to his left and his right. He moved better to the first base side, which would be to his left. And his throwing was good. It was accurate. His arm action is a little long from second. If he could tighten that up, it might serve him a little better. It's almost like an outfield thrower's arm. A catcher brings it up short and tight to his ear; you want to have a little shorter arm action. But he's working hard." 

The scout, for whatever it's worth, did not buy fielding being unimportant, especially in an era when homers are down, though. 

"I would never discount defense in this day and age with players that are smaller," he said.

Castillo will be entering the final season of a four-year, $25 million deal. He already has been visited by Sandy Alderson, and Collins plans a visit soon, too. 

The presumption has been that Oliver Perez and Castillo had no chance of being on the Opening Day roster, although in Castillo's case perhaps that has been overestimated. Still, it's entirely plausible the Mets can find a matching bad contract for Castillo this offseason -- he's owed $6 million -- and send him elsewhere (see this list I produced from earlier in the offseason). 

Meanwhile, the Murphy-Castillo talk completely leaves out the now 21-year-old Ruben Tejada, who hit .213 in 216 at-bats last season. It appears the Mets will be more patient with prospects and let them develop, so we could see Jenrry Mejia and Tejada opening the season at Triple-A Buffalo. Collins clearly was not on board with the decision to use Mejia as a reliever at the major league level to open last season at the expense of development, although he did not exactly have a say at the time.
[/h3]

lol so we rather put a non experienced guy in murphy at second who will most likely have 70 errors 
roll.gif
we have to stick with tejada and his glove. and i have no clue who terry collins is but he did seem rather goofy to me 

Murphy isn't that bad. He's aggressive too much. My good friend, a die hard Mets fan like us, and I discussed about Jose Reyes during Jets game yesterday. He was like he bet the Yankees will go after Jose Reyes. I hope not.

No guarantee Tejada would even be in the majors net season, he cannot hit but he is still young.

Murph played 2nd base and 3rd base before he was even brought up.

He would be an upgrade over Castillo, period.

I don't mind seeing Murphy plays 2B. Not definitely 3B. His arm isn't pretty strong.

nerd.gif
I'm not a baseball guy, so if I'm in the thread it's going to be an emoticon most of the time.
laugh.gif

I won't be hitting this thread with my Knick-like posts in the Knicks thread.

But I been a Mets fan since I found out they won their last World Series in my birth year, probably since like 97'.

Just some background.
ohwell.gif

Hopefully we can turn it around this year.

Let's go Mets.
glasses.gif

nerd.gif
I'm not a baseball guy, so if I'm in the thread it's going to be an emoticon most of the time.
laugh.gif

I won't be hitting this thread with my Knick-like posts in the Knicks thread.

But I been a Mets fan since I found out they won their last World Series in my birth year, probably since like 97'.

Just some background.
ohwell.gif

Hopefully we can turn it around this year.

Let's go Mets.
glasses.gif

i want castillo sitting on the bench and give Ruben Tejada the full time job. The mets will hopefully work out some trades, cut the fat. And everyones potential will come to shine. This year will be a rebuilding stage, 2012 I anticapate Mets being real contenders and a different starting lineup as well.

[h1]
[h1]UPDATE 4-Fred Wilpon may sell Mets baseball team stakes[/h1]
Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:41pm EST

* Forbes valued Mets at $858 million last year

* Wilpons intend to remain principal owners

* Looking to possibly sell 20-25 pct of equity in team

* Confidential talks with Madoff trustee continue (Adds Wilpon comments, background)

By Ben Klayman

DETROIT, Jan 28 (Reuters) - The family of New York Mets principal owner Fred Wilpon might sell minority stakes in the baseball team because of a lawsuit that seeks to recover money from Bernard Madoff's massive Ponzi scheme.

Confidential talks with the Madoff trustee continue, Wilpon said. The lawsuit led the family to examine its options for the stakes, which sit in a family investment firm, including adding one or more partners.

Fred Wilpon said the family could sell up to 20 percent to 25 percent of the Major League Baseball team, but declined to say how much money the family was trying to raise.

Court-appointed Madoff trustee Irving Picard last month sued Fred Wilpon, his firm Sterling Equities and other defendants in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York to recover money. [ID:nN07292782]

The owners of the Mets made about $48 million in dealings with the swindler Madoff, known to be a lifelong fan of the team, court documents filed in October 2009 showed.

Picard targeted investors he said withdrew more from Madoff than they deposited, a position that angered many former Madoff customers. The trustee has called such profits "fictitious" and argued they should be returned for the benefit of other Madoff clients who lost money.

Officials said there was no timetable for a sale or any other move. Wilpon's son Jeff, the team's chief operating officer, said other options could include seeking more financing or borrowing against the team's stake in SNY.

Regardless of the outcome, Fred Wilpon said, the family's Sterling Equities investment firm would remain the principal ownership group, and control and manage the team's operations.

"We will continue to control the franchise and govern its operations," he told reporters on a conference call.

Wilpon said he saw no scenario in which the family would sell control, and said baseball executives had not pressured them to seek partners.

He reiterated that the team had the financial and operational resources to compete, pointing to the fact that the Mets have one of the highest payrolls in baseball.
[/h1]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans]http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/28/madoff-mets-idINN2810709020110128[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans]According to Michael Kay the Dolans may be one of the suitors that may buy a stake in the Mets and SNY.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans]
tired.gif

[/font]

Back
Top Bottom