[[ NEW YORK METS 2009 OFFSEASON POST: Beltran ahead of schedule ]]

laugh.gif
Always love Ralph Kiner in the booth. Love his anecdotes.

laugh.gif
at him talking about former Reds owner Marge Schott asking why the team had scouts: 'All they do is watch baseball games!'

Yeah, Kiner is great.

And JRS, that idea sounds good. Though I'm guessing Minaya is done making moves.

Hahaha, as soon as they start talking about no homeruns, Schneider jacks one out on the first pitch.
pimp.gif

edit:
And now Tatis hits one.

eek.gif
@ Gary saying the apple is tired and done for the day right after Schneider's homer... And then Tatis jacks one out and now the apple won't rise.
roll.gif

CMON we get two home runs in the inning and The apple can't go up twice.

LOL.

45 seconds to recharge

I think if we get one player back soon (less than 2 weeks) we'll heat up and make a push. Looks unlikely though sicne the only player that can be back in 2weeks or less is Maine.

nice win today but its hard to get excited about it... the season is over as far as I'm concerned.

I just really hope Minaya is realistic about this... Trading away prospects for an average veteran will not make us a WS contender.

Excuse my ignorance or little knowledge....

But how hard is it to get tickets to a Mets Home Game? I'm here until the end of the month I want to get to see a game in the new Stadium.

Fact or fiction:

The Mets should try to mimic the Angels style of play?

Look at their World Series team. They had one 30 HR hitter, one with 29, and then 22 and 19 were their second highest. Their team batting average was around.290 They had 5 guys with 10 or more steals.

Once we get healthy I think we could mimic their style of play and not have to worry about not having enough power. An adjustment like that wouldn't hurt.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Fact or fiction:

Look at their World Series team. They had one 30 HR hitter, one with 29, and then 22 and 19 were their second highest. Their team batting average was around .290 They had 5 guys with 10 or more steals.

Once we get healthy I think we could mimic their style of play and not have to worry about not having enough power. An adjustment like that wouldn't hurt.
Jerry Manuel is a demented child compared to Mike Scioscia.
[h1]
[/h1]

title should be changed to JOHAN is alone..

*%%# David Wright.. & im out.. back to the yankee thread..
roll.gif

Fact or fiction:

Look at their World Series team. They had one 30 HR hitter, one with 29, and then 22 and 19 were their second highest. Their team batting average was around .290 They had 5 guys with 10 or more steals.

The Angels annoy me to the ultimate end for obvious reasons (lol just look at what happened this weekend) but I have to respect how they playagainst the Yankees...still got the sweep despite missing much of their offensive pop in the lineup.

They look to be the epitome of small ball...lineup has a bunch of guys top to bottom who can get a base hit and drive runners home.

That Angels team had hitters that were feared/respected and they hit timely HR's. It seemed like every time they needed a big hit, they got it right oncue. Top to bottom that lineup was SOLID.

Originally Posted by Proshares

That Angels team had hitters that were feared/respected and they hit timely HR's. It seemed like every time they needed a big hit, they got it right on cue. Top to bottom that lineup was SOLID.
Yeah but that lineup isn't really hard to build. I mean look at it, who were their superstars? I know Troy Glaus had a great year, but hebatted .250. Garret Anderson and Tim Salmon were very good players, but not superstars. Omar should look at building this team and get a bunch of guys that canget timely hits and hover around the .300 mark. I've gotten past the whole power thing. Especially with the way the game is changing now. Get me anotherguy that can steal 30 bases and bat around .280-.300

What I want most from this upcoming offseason is a new second basemen, catcher and maybe left fielder, depending how ready Martinez is.

Mets do not have the talent right now to play that kind of baseball consistently.

Angels were (and still are) defensively sharp and had great pitching....something the Mets have been up and down with cause of injuries.

Originally Posted by Proshares

That Angels team had hitters that were feared/respected and they hit timely HR's. It seemed like every time they needed a big hit, they got it right on cue. Top to bottom that lineup was SOLID.
Yeah but that lineup isn't really hard to build. I mean look at it, who were their superstars? I know Troy Glaus had a great year, but he batted .250. Garret Anderson and Tim Salmon were very good players, but not superstars. Omar should look at building this team and get a bunch of guys that can get timely hits and hover around the .300 mark. I've gotten past the whole power thing. Especially with the way the game is changing now. Get me another guy that can steal 30 bases and bat around .280-.300

What I want most from this upcoming offseason is a new second basemen, catcher and maybe left fielder, depending how ready Martinez is.

Well their whole team was an all around solid team. Molina and Glaus were the only two to hit under .280 that season. Rotation was solid 1-5, bullpen hadsome issues and the defense was great. It's hard to replicate that and find a bunch of players who mesh that well and buy into that philosophy.

Remaining 2009 schedule:

4vsATL
3vsWSH
3vsHOU
4vsCOL
4vsARI --------Beltran/Reyes due back?
2vsSTL
4@SD
3@ARI
4@SF
3vsATL
4vsPHI
3@FLA
3@CHC
3@COL
3vsCHC
3vsFLA
4vsPHI
3@ATL
3vsWSH
3vsATL
3@FLA
3@WSH
3vsHOU

Two 4 games sets with Philly (if they want a chance), and the Braves always play the Mets tough (let along a depleted Mets team).

The difficult part of the schedule is def. out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom