Need Critique on this Workout Plan.. [FITNESS HEADS PLEASE ENTER]

I received these workout routines a couple years ago from another NT'er I talked to, so if the routines are solid, all credit to him.

Anyways, I'm about a month away from completing P90X and I am pretty satisfied with the results so far. Continuing on, I would really like to increase mystrength and be a bit bulkier. Continuing P90X Phase III doubles is an option, but I would also like to try something different. In this plan I piecedtogether, I basically added the routines I got a couple years ago and some of the P90X routines that I really liked.

zmb9ts.jpg

2zspez5.jpg

BTW, I am planning to do 3 sets of each exercise in a "circuit" type manner. Also, the reason I am not running everyday is because of my knees. I amconsidering alternatives for cardio though..

My main concern is this: Are the "main" routines for the 4 days (M,T,TH,F) enough, or should I make it 6 and just throw out the Plyometrics and maybejust keep Yoga for the rest day (instead of the X-Stretch)? Would I have enough rest, or is that overkill?

Thanks in advance..

It looks like a heavy schedule to me.....You on roids???
laugh.gif

Monday looks especially OD
smh.gif

seriously though, if your lifting heavy it looks like too much.

...can you fill us in about the Sets/Reps on these?

you're working your back hardcore + 4 exercises for bis...you're arms gotta be damn sore coz it's like working your bis 8x.

Thats overtraining.

Youve got a Lat Pulldown and Pulldown to the Front? You only need one of those, and never do a lat pulldown which goes behind your head.

3 seperate calf exercises? You only need one. Get rid of the leg extensions as well

4 bicep exercises is too many.

with as much "work" you are doing...i imagine you'll have to eat whenever your not workin out. it will be pretty tough to get "bulkier"with all that "work"

If you're not dead after just doing A1-A6, then you need to be lifting with more intensity. Another thing, you shouldn't be runningeveryday. What's your goal? That would help a lot.

Don't run before lifting, do it after.

Do deadlifts on back day, it's not primarily a leg exercise.

If you want a 4-day split, do:

1- Legs
2- Chest/Tris
3- Back/Bis
4- Shoulders/Traps/Abs

Also drop some of the exercises, do maybe a third of those exercises and do 3-4 sets of them. Focus on heavy presses rather than light-weight exercises thatbuild almost zero mass (tricep kickbacks, etc.)

Here's what I'm currently doing

Chest: Flat BB Bench- 4 sets, Incline BB Bench 3-4 sets, DB Alternating Flat Bench - 3 sets, Flies- 3 sets, Cable Flies- 3 sets

Back: Deadlifts - 5 sets (low reps), Bent over BB Rows- 4 sets, Pullups - 3 sets, DB Rows ("lawnmowers")- 3 sets, Lat Pulldowns- 3 sets

Legs- Squats - 4-5 sets (depending on weight/reps, sometimes I go for low reps i.e. 5 max, other times i'm doing up to 8-10), Leg press -4 sets, Legextension -3-4 sets, Calf raise -4 sets

Arms- Bicep curls - 4 sets, close grip bench - 4 sets, chinups- 4 sets, skullcrushers- 4 sets, cable curls- 3-4 sets, pulldowns - 3-4 sets

Shoulders- Military BB press- 3 sets, shrugs- 4 sets, Military DB press- 3 sets, Front raises- 3 sets, Lateral raises- 3 sets, Machine military press(sometimes)- 3 sets, Reverse flies? (don't know the name, gets the rear delts)- 3 sets

If you're not dead after just doing A1-A6, then you need to be lifting with more intensity.
Waaaaiiiitt. What?

Tecnically it IS a leg exercise, but its rarely done on that day.

Well of course but it's your hamstrings and especially your back that will be doing the majority of the lifting.

Leg day usually = glutes and quads and calves, at least for me.

And good luck doing squats + deadlifts on the same day, I would pass out.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
just did it today.....minus the machine military press. got it done in 50 min.

edit: i also do 3 sets of behind-the-neck BB military press.

also anyone feel free to suggest changes to my routine i've been doing it for about 8 weeks im feeling it's time for a change.

A 50 min shoulder workout? Cut that down by atleast 20 min.

Just noticed this:

Monday: 15 exercises + Running + over 300 reps for abs. (3 sets each, no idea how many reps..... thats a lot a massive workout) Half of this is an intenseworkout.

Originally Posted by Durden7

If you're not dead after just doing A1-A6, then you need to be lifting with more intensity.
Waaaaiiiitt. What?

Tecnically it IS a leg exercise, but its rarely done on that day.
I was referring to your chest portion on Monday. You should be dead tired after performing those exercises.

Joseph Camel J posted a good split.

really? all my workouts are usually ~50 minutes. bad?
Well 50 min for just shoulders is a lot. Its a fairly small group of muscles.

I was referring to your chest portion on Monday. You should be dead tired after performing those exercises.
You dont have to be dead tired about those workouts to have achieved a quality lift. Its only 5 exercises

You dont have to be dead tired about those workouts to have achieved a quality lift. Its only 5 exercises
If you're not fatigued after performing more than 4-5 exercises on a given day targeting specific muscle group(s), you cancertainly be lifting with much more intensity.

Way too many isolation exercises. You don't need to do your triceps and biceps twice a week.

Originally Posted by jflip

If you're not fatigued after performing more than 4-5 exercises on a given day targeting specific muscle group(s), you can certainly be lifting with much more intensity.

I don't know about that man. I lift with intensity every time. On the rare occasion I'm not "feeling it," I just get up andleave without finishing my workout and do it the next day. I can't stand the feeling after a subpar lift.

On shoulder day I feel like I can't lift my arms up after my first set of military. I start with 135 and go up to a set of 225 where I try to get ~3 repsout. I do shrugs after to rest my shoulders and then I do lighter-weight behind the neck military presses. Then I go to dumbbell military after a littlebreather, then the lateral and side raises, rear delt flies, and maybe the machine presses at the end.

I think of the 3 presses as the only really substantial shoulder exercises. shrugs are traps, raises are super light weight, delt flies hit the back of theshoulder, and the machine presses I don't even do that much anymore and I mean....it's a machine press. I don't even think of those as real lifts.

Chest / Tris
Shoulders
Back / Bis
Legs
Clean up

Rest on Wednesday / Sunday

Your plan seems really inefficient too.

Back
Top Bottom