Need advice Re: College Roommate

Whatup, bretheren.

Basically, I'm heading to college in a few months and I just got my Roommate Preference sheet in the mail. I hate to sound, I guess, predjudice oranything, but I would really like a black roommate. I've never really had any black friends and really would like to get a black roomate for a newexperience. I know this may sound like a troll post, but I am being very sincere and am actually very interested in the topic.

So, on this Roommate request sheet, what should I put as my interests to definitely get a black roommate? Basketball? Rap music?

I'm open to all ideas and I hope that this does not come off as racist, as that is not how I mean it at all.

Originally Posted by ahs430

So, on this Roommate request sheet, what should I put as my interests to definitely get a black roommate? Basketball? Rap music?
LOL

tired.gif

No.

Just because someone is your roommate, does not mean they will like you or be your friend especially if you come off the way you are right now. Forcing afriendship out of a roommate is something that females do.

If you want black friends, there will be black folks at your school that you can try and get to know.

I'm black btw, If i was your roommate and somehow read your request....I'd be disgusted. Rap, basketball? (I might happen to like both, but thatsbeside the point). I like trading stocks and anime, didn't see that one comming huh?

You have good intentions, but your angle of attack of completely off. Do away with the stereotypes for starters. You seem like the type to change how you talkand act amongst African Americans. This is
indifferent.gif

It would be in your best interest to keep your narrow minded views of the African American diaspora to yourself and simply talk to us like you would anyoneelse. The black folks at my school didn't even request black roomates for their preferance. Request people we knew who happened to be black, but If I'mnew to a school I'm not picking my roommate on racial preference. And it's even wierder if you do decide to use a racist filter and choose a race thatisn't even your own.

Again, go to school with an open mind. Doesn't matter what race your roommate is or if y'all share things in common. I advise that your freshmen yearyou get someone who you don;t have anything in common with so you can learn something.

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

LOL

tired.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
stereotyping at its finest.

but just write on the paper that you would prefer to have a roommate of african american descent

roll.gif

Include "white women" and you'll get a black roommate for sure.

That's not how I meant it. If I were to put "Basketball", "Collared Greens", and "Rap Music", I'd be more LIKELY to get ablack, roommate than a white one. Sure, this may be stereotyping, but I think it would ensure that I would get what I want -- a black roommate.

That's not how I meant it. If I were to put "Basketball", "Collared Greens", and "Rap Music", I'd be more LIKELY to get a black, roommate than a white one. Sure, this may be stereotyping, but I think it would ensure that I would get what I want -- a black roommate.

PLEASE STOP.

If I was in charge of housing, your request would be ignored/denied.

Sure, I like rap music and basketball. I'm like a chameleon, brothers. I will "adapt", or whatever you want to call it, to best suit thecondition. I live in an area (SoCal), where I haven't ever had any black friends at all, and I think it would be a different experience. I'm justlooking for the best way to make this happen, be it stereotypical or not. Again, sorry if anybody is offended by my broad generalizations.

you're calling us "brothers" now?
laugh.gif

OP, i appreciate that you're trying to be "down", and i don't think you are a racist or anything.

but... based on how you're coming across over the internet, it sounds like you're just trying too hard

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

No.

Just because someone is your roommate, does not mean they will like you or be your friend especially if you come off the way you are right now. Forcing a friendship out of a roommate is something that females do.

If you want black friends, there will be black folks at your school that you can try and get to know.

I'm black btw, If i was your roommate and somehow read your request....I'd be disgusted. Rap, basketball? (I might happen to like both, but thats beside the point). I like trading stocks and anime, didn't see that one comming huh?

You have good intentions, but your angle of attack of completely off. Do away with the stereotypes for starters. You seem like the type to change how you talk and act amongst African Americans. This is
indifferent.gif

It would be in your best interest to keep your narrow minded views of the African American diaspora to yourself and simply talk to us like you would anyone else. The black folks at my school didn't even request black roomates for their preferance. Request people we knew who happened to be black, but If I'm new to a school I'm not picking my roommate on racial preference. And it's even wierder if you do decide to use a racist filter and choose a race that isn't even your own.

Again, go to school with an open mind. Doesn't matter what race your roommate is or if y'all share things in common. I advise that your freshmen year you get someone who you don;t have anything in common with so you can learn something.

I definitely understand what you are saying. I'm not trying to make this a thread of generalizations.

So basically I SHOULDN'T try for a certain type of roommate and just try to, I guess, diversify at school?

Originally Posted by DOWNTOWN43

you're calling us "brothers" now?
laugh.gif

OP, i appreciate that you're trying to be "down", and i don't think you are a racist or anything.

but... based on how you're coming across over the internet, it sounds like you're just trying too hard

I think he was saying brother like he was

Hulk-Hogan-02.jpg

That's not how I meant it. If I were to put "Basketball", "Collared Greens", and "Rap Music", I'd be more LIKELY to get a black, roommate than a white one. Sure, this may be stereotyping, but I think it would ensure that I would get what I want -- a black roommate.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

this N said Collard Greens

be67o6.gif

the sad part is, that most black people do indeed enjoy collard greens

Ok, since this is going to hell in a handbasket, let me pose this "racially charged" question.......

Who the ##+$ are these people who DON'T like fried chicken, kool-aide, or watermelon!?

What person, regardless of race, doesn't want to throw down on some chicken, fruit punch, and watermelon slices? How did this become a "you'reprobably black if you like________" , I say you probably have taste buds if you like that !*#$...... you probably aren't in a coma if you likechicken, koolaide, and melon.... cause thats the only excuse for not liking it....... sorry had to get that off my chest.

OP..... if you do that..... and get a black roommate...... and on move in day he walks in and you go "YES! How are you doing brother?! Are you excitedabout Obama?!" it will not be a good year for you.....

You don't need to have a black roommate to meet black people. I'm sure there will plenty of place people at your school. Just make friends aroundcampus.

roll.gif
I almost started laughing in class.

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

Wow, I'm pretty sure you're not being racist, so it doesn't matter to me. But I'm pretty sure someone's gotta come for your head.
+!@# that
laugh.gif

Fam, just put down your preferences. I don't know if you'd want a black roommate talkinlike that. You'd be sleepin in the hallway every night.

Im pretty sure you'll have classes with a bunch of black people anyway.

Ol' Remy "Did you +!@# her good?" *+@ dude...

005563_17.jpg

Back
Top Bottom