20.0 PPG, 3.4 RPG, 4.7 APG, .495 FG%

Kevin Love - UCLA
16.7 PPG, 10.0 RPG, 2.1 APG .576 FG%

OJ Mayo - USC
19.6 PPG, 4.6 RPG, 2.9 APG .448 FG%

Derrick Rose - Memphis
14.4 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 3.9 APG .476 FG%

So who is the best right now?

Bayless is leading in points and assists...plus shooting almost 50% as a guard.
Love is beasting on the boards and shooting a very high % but is a big man and takes most of his shots inside.

I'm an Arizona homer so I'd give Bayless the edge, but he and Love are pretty close.

I'd put Rose in third place because he has more rebounds and assists than Mayo, and a better shooting %.

Mayo is scoring points, but his poor shot selection and resulting poor shooting % is a huge negative. Plus as the primary ball handler for the Trojans he hasless assists than Bayless or Rose, which isn't good. He also is turing the ball over more than either Bayless or Rose.

So here are my rankings so far:

1. Bayless
2. Love
3. Rose
4. Mayo

How are you NOT going to include Gordon.............
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Sole For Real

How are you NOT going to include Gordon.............
indifferent.gif
I haven't seen Indiana play this year so I can't make a judgement on his numbers (although I notice he is putting up some huge scoring#'s - like 24 PPG or something). I've watched all the others play.

jerryd bayless has been the most impressive freshman to me (seen him play 3-4 times while i have only seen beasley/rose/love only play once and mayo/gordonplay twice).

and zo, i know you hate arizona state with a passion but if you have seen james harden play you gotta admit he's been impressive.

16.4 PPG 5.7 RPG 1.8 APG .551 FG%

the only player i can really speak on is deandre jordan. ive seen him play a lot, and havent really had a chance to watch any of the other freshman that close.im hoping he stays at least one more year at a&m because i think hes very raw on both ends of the ball, and could only benefit from sticking around andlearning a few things. hes been pretty big this year for us, but every time i watch him shoot free throws i just wanna throw up. dudes shooting like 30% fromthe line (that was a guess and its actually exactly right)
smh.gif
he definitely doesnt belong in the "top freshman in the country" talks, but iddefinitely put him probably somewhere around 8-10.

ive seen beasley play probably 3 or so times, and dude is amazing. i dont really feel like analyzing his game right now, but i would put him top 3 in thefreshman class for sure.

ive only seen eric gordan, oj mayo, kevin love, and jerryd bayless play much, so i cant really judge them too much. and i havent had the chance to watchderrick rose play yet, so i really dont know anything about him.

my list of top freshman would probably include gordan, mayo, love, bayless, rose, and beasley in the top 6. then from 7-10 id probably have johnny flynn,deandre jordan, singler, and ?...

its not letting me edit my post for some reason, but patrick patterson would probably get the nod for that 10th player in my top 10. probably in like 7-9range.

Wow, ranking freshman without the 2 best? Interesting....

But I agree with your list other than everyone should be bumped down and Gordon #1, Beasley #2

Wow, ranking freshman without the 2 best? Interesting....

how did you not even put Beasley and Gordon?

I haven't seen Indiana play this year so I can't make a judgement on his numbers (although I notice he is putting up some huge scoring #'s - like 24 PPG or something). I've watched all the others play.

i can respect his decision to not rank a player that he hasnt seen play yet. i know quite a few times ive been led to an over-evaluation of a player by lookingonly at numbers and listening to other people, and not actually seeing the player play.

Originally Posted by tmay407

its not letting me edit my post for some reason, but patrick patterson would probably get the nod for that 10th player in my top 10. probably in like 7-9 range.
Patterson: 16.4 PPG, 8.1 RPG, 2.1 APG, .667 FG%

for what it's worth, PP outplayed both Tyler Hansbrough and Deon Thompson, and held is own against D.J. White.

Patterson: 16.4 PPG, 8.1 RPG, 2.1 APG, .667 FG%
pimp.gif

Only reason to watch Kentucky.
wink.gif

laugh.gif
at Mayo being last.
alien.gif

You know I have to mention Austin Daye.

12.7 points (41.2 FG%, 90.0 FT%), 4.8 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 2.2 blocks.

Stats all that matter? how bout team wise. Derrick Rose is leading the 2nd best team in the country

Bayless has been fantastic.

He's a stronger rebounder than i thought to boot.

I figured Rose would be a bigger assist guy but he runs the offense well.

laugh.gif
@ not even including Beasley or Gordon.

If you want to talk stats, meet Michael Beasley.

He is #7 in scoring in D-1, good for 24.9 PPG.
Also #2 with 13.9 RPG (#1 averages 14.0)

.56 FG%, 1.9 BPG, and spreads the floor with a sweet jumper.

So here is the Kevin Durant of this year. He leads everyone in PPG and RPG.

Best right now?

1) Beasley
2) Gordon
3) Bayless
4) Love
5) Mayo
6) Rose

But that list is skewed because Mayo/Bayless have played a tough schedules while Gordon/Rose have played relatively easy ones.

^and i think beasley isnt gonna get the same love as durant bc ppl love seeing perimeter play

I read through this post hoping to find one or two off the radar type guys, but i should've known better than to think the NT-hype machine would pick up onanybody not at a major basketball school.. and how you gonna make a post about the best freshmen when you haven't even seen half the best in the countryyet?
laugh.gif
it's obvious you made this post just to ride your boy bayless, if you wanted a post about him you should've just made it that way.

how about Andrew Ogilvy at Vandy? The aussie is averaging 19.5 and 6.6 in just over 25 minutes a game, with Vandy sitting at 10-0. He ranks 21st in the countryin effective field goal percentage.

Then there's JJ Hickson at NC State - averages 18 and 8.3 in 28 minutes per game.. is 13th in eFG% at over 70%!!!!! Also ranks 32 nationally in FT%.

You've gotta give Dejuan Blair and Johnny Flynn some love, too.. Blair is the 2nd best offensive rebounder in the country, only averaging about 12 pts agame, but 9.1 rebounds in just 21 minutes per. And Flynn, much as it pains me to say, has been statistically one of the best point guards in the country thisyear averaging over 14 points and 6 assists per game, with the 95th best eFG% in the country and 73rd best assist rate.

Now these guys were all 4 and 5 star recruits, but nobody seems to give a damn about them on the national level right now.. and i don't get it. Maybe theydon't have the pro potential of these other guys, but they're certainly having just as much success at this level at most of these guys.

This is a VERY deep freshmen class... get to know 'em all.

Mike Beasley makes it look too easy....Doesn't even look like he is trying...

Kyle Singler

That australian dude.....He's a guard....(Can't think of his name)

Back
Top Bottom