NBA should do something to improve the Slam Dunk contest...

Originally Posted by ninjahood

u gotta let fans vote in at least 2 dudes..that way we always get to see guys who we want in da joint.....
yea like voting in Rudy Fernandez over Joe Alexander, Russell Westbrook, and whoever the 4th person was.

They should kill the contest vibe and call it the "Freestyle Dunk fest"

and just let like 8 players just go all out for the crowd, No rules/props and let the cheers from the crowd do the talking.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

u gotta let fans vote in at least 2 dudes..that way we always get to see guys who we want in da joint.....
yea like voting in Rudy Fernandez over Joe Alexander, Russell Westbrook, and whoever the 4th person was.

http://www.youtube.com/v/JDHl-mGl8ac?f=videos&app=youtube_gdatahttp://www.youtube.com/v/JDHl-mGl8ac?f=videos&app=youtube_gdata

smokin.gif

Originally Posted by TheGift23

TheGift23 wrote:
THE GR8 wrote:
And Lebrons a *%%@* he may be a bigger star but in terms of athleticism he is not over the top on any of these dudes at all

word? *+!* i forgot Lebron had a vertical of 60 inches
smh.gif
smh.gif

stop riding Lebron just ause hes Lebron, dont Shannon Brown have a higher vertical than him? and look at how he panned out. Dudes will always be athletic freaks thats not the problem. Lebron is more skilled and he is a +%$@$*+ freak but he isnt on another scale athletically over any of the dudes that were in the contest. His combination of size, strength, speed, and athleticism is a different story.

Really the last great dunk contest IMO was in 05 when J Smoove pretty much ran away with the trophy. Every dunk he did sans maybe the "free throw" dunk were all amazing. Amare had that cool dunk from Nash (soccer-kick throw off the backboard). JR had a few nice dunks too. Chris Andersen sucked but that was still entertainment because dude had so many attempts. And, Kenny and Charles were going wild that night.

I watch that 05 contest on YT and always get a laugh

They really do need to make changes. I thought the DC was short. Felt like it was all over in 15 minutes or something. The 6 contestants like back in the 90s is a good idea. DC needs to be longer and the NBA needs to invite the right dunkers, not guys like G wallace

Man, Chester that vid you posted... reminded me of how sickeningly clean Rudy's dunks were...

This year sucked! In the great words of Chuck... "Maybe nobody will win"

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

Man, Chester that vid you posted... reminded me of how sickeningly clean Rudy's dunks were...

This year sucked! In the great words of Chuck... "Maybe nobody will win"

Yeah Rudy's dunks were sick....too bad he would have got robbed even if he was in it this yr.lol

Originally Posted by Chester the Cheetah

http://www.youtube.com/v/iFv75Kno05I?f=videos&app=youtube_gdatahttp://www.youtube.com/v/iFv75Kno05I?f=videos&app=youtube_gdatahttp://www.youtube.com/v/iFv75Kno05I?f=videos&app=youtube_gdatahttp://www.youtube.com/v/iFv75Kno05I?f=videos&app=youtube_gdata

Until Lebron is in a dunk contest, I could care less what all he has. Dude is a lame for not doing it this year. Rudyshould have been in it again this year instead of those lames Wallace and Brown. Dude got robbed last year.

I know what would help it out...Have a competition a few months before the even and invite people off the street to try out from all over the country..The top 3 dunkers get to compete against the top 3 NBA dunkers..

Realistically, they just need to up the prize money. Guys would get REAL serious... especially some of these dunkers who aren't superstars. I bet Gerald Green would pull out some stupid crazy sh...

First prize, $1,000,000 cash
Runner-up, $250,000 cash

8 Contestants.

I don't know but this was a great all star weekend.

Hahaha Jp..I was dissapointed with the dunk contest. Wallace really did some rgular dunks!

There should be a pool of 16 players that WANT to be in the dunk contest... a month before All-Star Weekend, have each of them do one dunk and then let the fans vote and decide on their top 6-8 and let it go from there... like one person said the DC seemed REALLY short this year and it was because of the lack of crowd hype/participation... the crowd is much more important than any dunk that a player can do... for example, remember when JR did that behind-the-back dunk? It was clearly one of the top five dunks of the whole contest but the crowd didn't really feel it so he didn't even make it past the first round...

People seem to forget that Nate stated no props were allowed to be used this year.

The bringing out of props got the crowd hyped up, even if the dunk wasnt all that.

Look at Dwight bringing out a forklift cause Stern woudnt let him raise the rim.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by doyung9

Realistically, they just need to up the prize money. Guys would get REAL serious... especially some of these dunkers who aren't superstars. I bet Gerald Green would pull out some stupid crazy sh...

First prize, $1,000,000 cash
Runner-up, $250,000 cash

8 Contestants.
This

Give me an offense vs defense DUNK ON contest. Shannon Brown dunking on David Lee or something. Fouls allowed.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Some of the replies in here are hilarious but I would take any of these than watch this crap again next year and its in LA so I might go. I dont know what's going on with the NBA and the people behind the decisions...Stern... but you aint dumb, make some 1on1 2on2 things that make things count for something, like an extra win in the regular season. Baseballs allstar game is good cause it has meaning, but as you can see the ProBowl is garbage, cause it means nothing to them. As it goes for the dunk contest, there should be no rules, that's just dumb. Westbrook would be great in it...or thats what i thought about Shannon, wow..he did the same dunk twice. If Stern makes it worth something towards the regular season or playoffs then these %!%%%** will care. And F Lebron and Wade for not participating, Michael Jordan, arguably the greatest player ever did it, cmon, give something back to the fans.

I didnt read through the pages but what about if they let D-Leaguers get in there? James White and that dude who did the 720 a few years back are playing in there right, orrr I know there are some random crazy dudes who just have MADD bounce and can dunk.. let there be a tournament or something for randoms to compete in and the winner could be a competitor or something?

i know these ideas are kind of far fetched but damn, i could not believe how terrible it was this year.. from an entertainment standpoint I want to see some crazy +#+ @+%! in the dunk contest
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Durden7

The problem is nothing is impressive anymore.  Weve seen everything that can be done.  Weve reached the human limit.

The players participating in the contest aren't doing better dunks because they're physically incapable of doing them. 

And the people who are physically capable (Team Flight Brothers, James White) aren't good enough to play on the NBA level. 

My thing to fix the slam dunk contest is to get rid of the NBA dunk contest and invite non-league players as guests to perform.  Maybe they can all play for a one day NBA contract or something like that. 

Personally, I don't need to see 540's or between the leg 360's in order to enjoy the contest. They just need some people who want to be in it and will be creative to win it

Originally Posted by EnEyeKayEe

Redo the entire weekend.

Axe EVERY single event other than H.O.R.S.E. (I'm dead serious).

H.O.R.S.E. has potential if you actually had some of the best trick shot players in it (Sheed would shut the place down).  Also, actually play the game by the actual rules for starters.
laugh.gif
smh.gif
...Winner gets $250,000...cash.

Turn the 3 point contest into a GIANT game of Knockout.  I'm talking like the 50 best 3 point shooters in the L.  This would be so
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
.  Dudes would be anxious to get in this and it would be competitive as hell.  Winner get $500,000...cash.

21 with 5 savages.  S-Jaxx, Ron Ron, K-Mart, Big Ben, and Joakim Noah.  This would be the final event.
pimp.gif
  Winner gets $1,000,000...cash. 

Also, JYD needs to hand out ALL awards.  He deserves some type of life time achievement honor for being so dedicated to these festivities.

Do it $tern!

that 21 game sounds serious!  somebody would end up getting injured, and there may be a fight tho.

How the heck are you gonna make Derozan and E Gordon duke it out for a spot when that bum G Wallace didn't even bother to crack a smile? lol

Rudy Gay's been in it twice and never made it past the 1st Round, it would be a waste for him.
laugh.gif

The NBA should remove the event and maybe in a few years they'll be a new crop of guys that gets the league buzzing enough to bring it back. During that time there should be no complaints coming from guys like D-Wade & LBJ.

Back
Top Bottom