NAZI SALUTE BY GREEK SOCCER PLAYER GIORGOS KATIDIS CAUSES OUTRAGE

I really don't care if a racist wants to play sports

it's sports who cares?

Share the same opinion. Same as when that girl was banned from the olympics this past summer for whatever she did.

They don't get paid to save face and be PC. They are athletes.

They're a lot more than just athletes to the owners/managers etc of the team. They're cash cows.

The last thing I want on my favorite team is a racist, or a Nazi. I'm sure there are racist athletes, but once someone goes to such an extreme like being a Nazi, or member of the KKK for example, they're worth nothing to the team and their fans

I understand the association's move, just don't understand the outrage from everyone else.
non soccer fans upset that someone on the other side of the world is a racist, who cares?

no, that actually is the swastika. The buddhist symbol is turned to the left as seen on the monk statue a few posts above. That kid is either ignorant or being MAD3DGY

Thought I was the only one that knew this, the meaning changes dramatically once it's turned on it's side. Doubt the kid is being edgy though, ignorant is more like it.

Damn, so y'all are just going to ignore the obvious context here.

You got an Asian guy wearing a Tshirt with that symbol on it and comparing it to a White guy throwing up the Hitler salute in Greece where Neo-Nazis are known to be growing?

Is that what we're really doing here?

You got an Asian guy wearing a Tshirt with that symbol on it and comparing it to a White guy throwing up the Hitler salute in Greece where Neo-Nazis are known to be growing?

Actually I believe it's called the roman salute. The gesture itself. 

I started reading up on it, it is said to originate from ancient roman culture. It was notably popular in the late 1700's to the 1940's

I agree, it is in bad taste to use this gesture. But, when it doesn't mean what everyone else thinks it means is it the same?

He could have seen one of the many "Adolf Hipster" memes, and other WW2 memes around the internet. Where it would be used comically, if not positively and he just picked up on it. 

I feel like I need to see an interview with him before I determine his fate 
laugh.gif

But....they...do....

Its called endorsements. Not just single player endorsements, leagues have endorsement deals.

Right. Hence why player and even coaches/owners from all over the world have gotten fined for things they've done or said while in in public eye.

Last edited:
Hitler and the aryan race during the time looked at everyone south of the Swiss alps as mixed breeds, especially the Southern Europeans. If he was a Neo-Nazi and believed in there ways, I'm sure he would have known that. I'm sure he would have been the type of dude to never get a 50 cent tattoo on his belly either.

This is fishy to me. Athletes are usually extremly ignorant and dumb, but in Europe it's even worse. These kids do not go to school. They have been at a sleep away soccer academy since they've been 8 years old. It would not shock me if he had no idea what he was doing, not one bit. He's uneducated and by his tattoo decisions extremly oblivious. He could just be a moron, he just turned 20.

Look at both sides.

FYI That symbol is a Buddhist symbol not the Swastika. Easily misinterpreted correct?
no, that actually is the swastika. The buddhist symbol is turned to the left as seen on the monk statue a few posts above. That kid is either ignorant or being MAD3DGY
The Buddhist (shakti) symbol doesn't have a filled in round white circle around it the way that one does. It also isn't tilted slightly like that.  THAT is the nazi swastika.  That dude is either a hipster or ignorant to what he's wearing.

And you quoting it and calling it a Buddhist symbol basically makes lobotomy's point for him.

Last edited:

Actually I believe it's called the roman salute. The gesture itself. 

I started reading up on it, it is said to originate from ancient roman culture. It was notably popular in the late 1700's to the 1940's

I agree, it is in bad taste to use this gesture. But, when it doesn't mean what everyone else thinks it means is it the same?

He could have seen one of the many "Adolf Hipster" memes, and other WW2 memes around the internet. Where it would be used comically, if not positively and he just picked up on it. 

I feel like I need to see an interview with him before I determine his fate 
laugh.gif
Dawg, the Roman Republic was a racist/fascist state.

That's WHY Hitler adopted the salute for his political party...

I don't even understand what some are you are arguing with us about :lol:

Just to summarize,

Neo Nazi Parties are growing at alarming rates in Greece, soccer hooliganism being a big recruiting factor. Its happened before in European soccer, its not a stretch for the governing body of Greek futbol to be concerned about that. This player threw up a sign and it just so happened to be on the 70th anniversary of the Jewish roundup and deportation by the Nazis to the interment camps. This while the Goldie Dawn, a Fascist Neo Nazi party, is gaining ground in Parliament and anti Immigration sentiment is spilling into the streets, with non Greeks (mainly Muslim immigrants) are being targeted and soccer matches being a place where these attacks occur.

For anyone that says its just sports, don't know **** about Soccer in Europe. Frankly we can look at Muhammed Ali, 1968 Olympics Black Power salute, Jesse Owens and countless others where sports has transcended the field and into the social/political realm. Its far from just sports

Here's a cool espn spot on the issues in European Soccer and Fascism in Greece

Last edited:
I really don't care if a racist wants to play sports

it's sports who cares?

Share the same opinion. Same as when that girl was banned from the olympics this past summer for whatever she did.

They don't get paid to save face and be PC. They are athletes.

They're a lot more than just athletes to the owners/managers etc of the team. They're cash cows.

The last thing I want on my favorite team is a racist, or a Nazi. I'm sure there are racist athletes, but once someone goes to such an extreme like being a Nazi, or member of the KKK for example, they're worth nothing to the team and their fans
Lets not forget that they're public figures who have a lot of influence on the younger generation in their home nation. I'm sure theres athletes at both ends of the political compass many leagues but once they start making racist gestures It becomes a problem. As an athlete playing the most popular sport in the world, especially at a time when the sport is receiving alot of negative publicity for its racist supporters, you should know when to chill. The "I didnt know" comment was the lamest excuse he could've thought of.

Last edited:
He definitely knew what he was doing.

It's slightly odd, I went to a jesuit university. when we graduate, we do a hand salute similar to that and a prayer. it's not the nazi salute at all. but at first i was like "woooord?"

He definitely knew what he was doing.

It's slightly odd, I went to a jesuit university. when we graduate, we do a hand salute similar to that and a prayer. it's not the nazi salute at all. but at first i was like "woooord?"
h_12-5155-COMMENCE-0409.jpg

Last edited:
I honestly believe that he wasn't trying to make a Nazi salute or portray hatred in any way.

I really think he was just using it as a symbol of power...or something... and really didn't mean what everyone thinks

Word.

Sucks that homie has to look for a 9-5 now.

So hes saying he doesn't know what it "means"?  If that's true... Then hes just stupid and didn't pay attention in any level of history that he may have gone through in school.

Hes a pro soccer player. I doubt he even went to school. Srs

He probably started playing in a soccer academy at a very young age

i kinda agree with this..

Definitely wasn't tht serious .

this 2

Last edited:
So hes saying he doesn't know what it "means"?  If that's true... Then hes just stupid and didn't pay attention in any level of history that he may have gone through in school.

this 2

I guess y'all just skimmed past Law3001's last post on this page.

Ignorance should not be an excuse.

I don't even understand what some are you are arguing with us about
laugh.gif

Just to summarize,

Neo Nazi Parties are growing at alarming rates in Greece, soccer hooliganism being a big recruiting factor. Its happened before in European soccer, its not a stretch for the governing body of Greek futbol to be concerned about that. This player threw up a sign and it just so happened to be on the 70th anniversary of the Jewish roundup and deportation by the Nazis to the interment camps. This while the Goldie Dawn, a Fascist Neo Nazi party, is gaining ground in Parliament and anti Immigration sentiment is spilling into the streets, with non Greeks (mainly Muslim immigrants) are being targeted and soccer matches being a place where these attacks occur.

For anyone that says its just sports, don't know **** about Soccer in Europe. Frankly we can look at Muhammed Ali, 1968 Olympics Black Power salute, Jesse Owens and countless others where sports has transcended the field and into the social/political realm. Its far from just sports

Here's a cool espn spot on the issues in European Soccer and Fascism in Greece
for those who skimmed past.

you don't have to go to school to be aware of fascism in greece.  it's a movement largely driven by youth who are complaining they can't get jobs and can't afford TO go to school.

education isn't imperative.

Last edited:

Few points on this.

1.  It absolutely looks like a fascist salute.

2.  Persie said he was doing the "brush the dirt off my shoulders" move (he's done it before and less weirdly) and is super awkward, so he looks like a nazi robot doing it.

3.  Van Persie's mother is Moroccan (not saying it makes it impossible for him to be a neo-Nazi, but I am saying African/Arab blood means he wouldn't be welcome at a lot of Nazi parties.)

4.  It absolutely looks like a fascist salute.

Gervinho has done this a few times, others seemed more profound than this one, with more of an extended arm. But it's called the sieg heil, which the Nazi party adopted. It means "hail to victory" and is done with the left arm. The Nazi salute is done with the right arm. As for brushing the dirt off...I guess that's what Gervinho was going for, still looks weird.
But RvP is from Rotterdam and played for the local prominent club Feyenoord. The Nazi's occupied Rotterdam during WWII, many died. There's history there. His parents are divorced, he was raised by his father....so it's possible that there is some sort of resentment( hate) there

this 2

I know most academies, if not all make you take school classes. For some of them you take classes during the day and train and night. Up to a certain age. You have to be 16 to play professionally and exceptional. If you decided you don't want to play anymore or get injured and can't, etc...you need something to fall back on so education is still pushed. 11-14, you should have covered WWII at least once during these years. If not at least heard about it and of Nazi Germany and Hitler

Last edited:
I think cats play the devils advocate to a fault on here. I remember being like that in highschool, just challenging for the sake of challenging. I have not problem with people having a different opinion, but its crazy to ignore certain facts based on "well maybe he didn't know" :lol:

If this happened here in the states, then yes you can make that argument that maybe it was not intentional or whatever. However with the way things are in Greece, its not farfetched to make the educated guesses Nako, myself and others are making.

There are dangerous precedents being set in Europe and believe me those do have an effect here in the states. Golden Dawn is in Canada, it can come here into the states. You may say I'm making a bigger deal about it, but you would be surprised about some of the notions being bantered about in public forums.

Few points on this.

1.  It absolutely looks like a fascist salute.

2.  Persie said he was doing the "brush the dirt off my shoulders" move (he's done it before and less weirdly) and is super awkward, so he looks like a nazi robot doing it.

3.  Van Persie's mother is Moroccan (not saying it makes it impossible for him to be a neo-Nazi, but I am saying African/Arab blood means he wouldn't be welcome at a lot of Nazi parties.)

4.  It absolutely looks like a fascist salute.
Gervinho has done this a few times, others seemed more profound than this one, with more of an extended arm. But it's called the sieg heil, which the Nazi party adopted. It means "hail to victory" and is done with the left arm. The Nazi salute is done with the right arm. As for brushing the dirt off...I guess that's what Gervinho was going for, still looks weird.
But RvP is from Rotterdam and played for the local prominent club Feyenoord. The Nazi's occupied Rotterdam during WWII, many died. There's history there. His parents are divorced, he was raised by his father....so it's possible that there is some sort of resentment( hate) there
I know what the sieg heil is.

i didn't call it that because most fascist states adopted it (italy under mussolini, the roman republic, some occupied african countries).

and that gervinho vid is flipped. hes doing it with his right hand.  the whole arsenal team used to do that to their fans. it was the "brush the dirt off your shoulders" move.

the way they do it though. total sieg heil.

^Yea, I know it's nothing new among the gunners and that the vid was flipped but I was just saying how poorly it looked, adding your other points and what not

Back
Top Bottom