My boy just got signed...

reazson

Banned
I have a few questions for the NT members that know a little bit about the music business...

My boys name is Dustin-

Dustin's boss knows a man named Tony Legendary who has his own record label entitled "Money Tree Records" based out of Cleveland, Ohio. Basically, Dustin's boss showed Tony Dustin's music, and liked what he heard. A week later they met for dinner and Dustin signed a contract and Tonyhanded him over $12,000 cash. He's promised free studio time, shows, security entourage, street team, clothes, jewelry...the whole nine. Tony gassed himup so much by even saying he is the coldest white boy in America
sick.gif
Thecontract stated that Dustin has to release four albums, but that's all Dustin got from the contract, after reading a few lines...he tossed the contractaside.

My question to you is, what will come of this? is anybody in the marketing business? I guess Tony's goal is to sell Dustin to a bigger label, in whichthen Tony will make his money...

here is a song you can listen to, we and him have been making songs now for about 6 months. I have never been cocky with my music, I been very humble...I meanI can't even hold a candle to most of these other cats doin it..

Here is the latest song we recorded, the one that Tony Legendary basically signed him on..

Dustin has the first verse and hook, I have second...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=61492&songID=6239783

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

I woulda went over the contract with a lawyer before I signed anything

But...what's done is done...best of luck to your boy, he's gonna need it
grin.gif

1. Should of got a lawyer
2. That 12,000 dollars cash is recoupable by the label

3. He prob. Didn't get his royalty points str8

4. For that matter publishing or masters are prob not his

5. Free studio time is a catch 22, yeah its free until he has to pay it back thru record sales which will prob. Be 4eva since his royalty points are prob like7

6. In reality he only has a one album deal, and the rest are probably options, because the record co. Has the options just like good or bad players in sportsto deny you of releasing an album, or in events that he is successful pick up the options until the 4 are done.

Basically there is a hell of a lot more to do but, you need an entertainment lawyer as well to go thru the rest

why even sign nowadays...u can be independent and make much more money... oh welp there goes his career

Originally Posted by haiti5

why even sign nowadays...u can be independent and make much more money... oh welp there goes his career

for real, that's what I told him. i just got off the phone with him and he won't admit he shouldn't have signed it, even though I know heregrets it...
but to be independent and successful you gotta have money to market yourself, which is something he doesn't have. Ice Cube's lastrecord he dropped was indy and he made the most money of that album than any other CD he dropped.

Explains why so many artists are with koch

who knows though, I'm still trying to understand it all...but Dustin...i don't think he wants to understand it

but wheres my cleveland nters at? He signed with same record label Big Keyz is on...

Oh my... this just gets better and better.

So he has no stage name yet he thought he was qualified to be signed?
laugh.gif

Idiot. He needs a lawyer asap.

ASAP

Originally Posted by DMV is RNB

Oh my... this just gets better and better.

So he has no stage name yet he thought he was qualified to be signed?
laugh.gif

Idiot. He needs a lawyer asap.

ASAP

and it will get better if you listen to the song..

I'm not hating at all, it's just he needs a lot of polishing...

these labels are only signing people so they need to pay to "get out of their contracts"
they aren't trying to develop them at all.

just like puffy makin "da band" 4 times over.

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

these labels are only signing people so they need to pay to "get out of their contracts"
they aren't trying to develop them at all.

just like puffy makin "da band" 4 times over.

i dont understand? can you elaborate?

^ its not, but realize that he is "featured" on it, so hes the last verse, which isnt the best verse.

Tell him to grind out some albums, if he gets some fame/connections, to make more albums under a different name(which he NEEDS), in some cases this circumventscontractual agreements.

I personally think that artists need to just get out there on their own and not focus on getting someone else to sign them.
I wish your mans the best of luck however if artists would like to go that route as to getting signed to a label then they really need to look at the paperworkand go over it with someone because alot this stuff dealing with music is straight up business and money at the end of the day.
The big labels from what i hear usually pay for alot of things for their artists however i hear so many shady things going on in the music world. My brotherwas going to sign with an label and he thought everything over and i told him to make sure that he looked over the contracts, afterwards he did not sign. Itsso much more to it than just the money because alot of artists out here is not getting it the way that they are claiming.

I personally think that artists need to just get out there on their own and not focus on getting someone else to sign them.
I wish your mans the best of luck however if artists would like to go that route as to getting signed to a label then they really need to look at the paperworkand go over it with someone because alot this stuff dealing with music is straight up business and money at the end of the day.
The big labels from what i hear usually pay for alot of things for their artists however i hear so many shady things going on in the music world. My brotherwas going to sign with an label and he thought everything over and i told him to make sure that he looked over the contracts, afterwards he did not sign. Itsso much more to it than just the money because alot of artists out here is not getting it the way that they are claiming.

Back
Top Bottom