Mass Shooting Thread: Waiting on the next one.

People interviewed a Uvalde cop who was at the scene.

"It sucks that we look like we were cowards, because we weren't cowards," he says. "But that's nothing compared to the fact that little kids died and maybe we could've done something to save them. I wish we had known what to do. I wish someone had told us what to do."

Last edited:
ballinsam23 ballinsam23 the jr high and High school I attended all had one school police officer patrolling around the outside of school in his squad car. He wasn’t around all the time because he drove to other nearby schools to do the same. I’m sure he stopped some **** from popping off. I’m kinda surprised Uvalde didn’t have the same going unless my area is different/unique case.

Both of my nephews attend these same schools and still see one “school police” patrol car riding around. Doubt it’s the same officer since it’s been 20+ since my time there.

I have a 7-11 on my block that got robbed three times in a month. One time shot the clerk. Police put a car outside for the follow 2 months. No robberies.
The presence of the police car wouldn't have mattered if the intent was to shoot up the 7-11.

In every single country, there are people who want to kill others. The difference between here and the rest of the world is that it is very easy for anyone with such thoughts to act upon them because of the availability of firearms (400m of them in a country of 350m people; in comparison, India - 1.5b people - only has 91m firearms in circulation) and the large potential for damage relative to the risk associated with their use.

Wife was telling me that the door was locked But left ajar. Supposedly a teacher heard the guns shots outside and decided to run out and retrieve their phone from their car and left the door ajar. I’m pretty sure the shooter saw the teacher and ran in behind them. It’s possible that teacher unknowingly led the shooter into the school.

Not attacking you at all but schools aren’t the most secure places to begin with.

There’s random deliveries. There’s no TSA screening to get in. Most PUBLIC school campuses have a main office that isn’t locked. Trying to place blame on the teacher is mind boggling.

If I pull into my garage the gate doesn’t close for like 2 minutes. That’s why we have a lot of homeless who live on our campus after school.

At the end of the day, the boy wasn’t going to be stopped by clerical office staff, campus aides and apparently neither by the resource officer. Why? Can he was armed with assault rifles

1653837958416.png

Thinking about all the "openings" in my school, if somebody from the outside WANTED to do damage they could EASILY get in to do so.

And I'm sure MOST schools are like that.

Logistically it's just hard to keep folks out of these large buildings man.

But, more police.....

Exactly. The thing is these attackers don’t even have to use doors. If they really wanted to get in they could blast a window or something else

Thinking about all the "openings" in my school, if somebody from the outside WANTED to do damage they could EASILY get in to do so.

And I'm sure MOST schools are like that.

Logistically it's just hard to keep folks out of these large buildings man.

But, more police.....

Each school has about 20 “fire exits” that anyone can get in and out of if they wanted. We used to just put thick paper in these doors when we cut class to keep the door ajar.

Also, for as bad as the police response was here, I don’t think any parent will say no we don’t want more of a police presence at our child’s school. They may not have the balls or the proper training to stop a fully armed teenager with an AR, but it does buy some time where every second counts. Their job wouldnt be to stop fights inside or after schools, this is more of a patrol. Plus we know how swiftly the police act when one of their own is shot. The benefits far outweigh the risks here, especially if no legal
action on getting rid of ARs will take place.

Why do you refuse to speak on / respond to comments about how adding MORE police has been proven to increase the number of alteractions/incidents involving minority students and police officers?

It's almost as if you are purposely ignoring that to address everything else.

ballinsam23 ballinsam23

Respond to this ballinsam23 ballinsam23

The Prevalence and the Price of Police in Schools

SROs Can Negatively Impact Safety

In the triad model concept advanced by NASRO, in addition to their law enforcement role, SROs will act as another mentor, educator, or counselor. However, this assumption ignores the fact that Black youth, Latine youth, immigrant youth, indigenous youth, and youth living in poverty often come to school with harmful experiences with police that may perpetuate racial inequalities in educational, health, and social outcomes.[lxii] By putting police in schools, we are exacerbating these issues. SROs are more likely to reproduce broader patterns of police targeting and criminalizing Black, Indigenous, Latine, and students of color while implementing policies supposedly designed to keep society “safe.”[lxiii]

SROs are more likely to work in schools serving high numbers of students of color

SROs are disproportionately placed in schools serving predominantly students of color, as opposed to schools serving predominantly white populations.[lxiv] Among middle and high schools where more than 75% of students were Black, 54.1% had at least one SRO or security officer on campus. By comparison, among middle and high schools where over 75% of students were white, only 32% had these personnel.[lxv]

SROs are associated with higher rates of exclusionary discipline and arrest

Additionally, numerous studies show that the presence of SROs in schools is associated with higher rates of exclusionary discipline – suspensions and expulsions – increased risk of students being pushed into the “school to prison pipeline”[lxvi] Students of color across the nation, and in Connecticut in particular, are disproportionately subject to these exclusionary discipline practices.[lxvii] In Connecticut, suspension and expulsion rates for Black and Latino male students are two to three times that of their white counterparts. The suspension rate for Black female students is around five times that of their white counterparts.[lxviii] The presence of SROs is associated with increased racial disparity in suspension rates.[lxix]

Back
Top Bottom